✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Dear Apple: Brown-Bag It - Chris buys REM Lunchbox

LifeLight

From NYTimes

Dear Apple: Brown-Bag It

It is a perennial social quandary. What does one say to someone who has been passed up for the Nobel Peace Prize?

"On the bright side, you can slap anybody you want now"? "It's not like a real one, like Medicine or Physics or anything"? "Everyone knows MOHAMED ELBARADEI has been buttering up the Nobel people for years"?

We were debating how to approach BONO, who was talked about as a dark horse for the prize, when we ran into him at a benefit for the Food Bank for New York at Wooster Projects Gallery.

The main part of the benefit was an auction of celebrity-designed lunchboxes.

Yes, we just said that.

We began by asking Bono, who was with ALICIA KEYS, what he used to find in his lunchbox.

"Cheese sandwiches!" he said excitedly. "It was one of the more reliable things in my life at the time. But sometimes there was an apple as a special treat."

"I was a Tupperware and cheese guy, too," chimed in THE EDGE. "But I had Bono on the treat. I would get a Mars bar or a Snickers. That beats an apple."

Speaking of apples, CHRIS MARTIN was there, though without his daughter or GWYNETH PALTROW. We also saw NAOMI CAMPBELL, GINA GERSHON and MIKE MYERS, who entertained us at length by talking about Canada's subsidized school lunches and his fondness for chips and gravy.

But back to Bono, who was explaining his lunchbox. Finally, it was time to make our move.

Sorry about that whole didn't-get-the-Nobel-Prize-for-Peace thing.

"That's O.K.," Bono said graciously. "I get enough credit."

Then, betraying the slightest hint of a bruise: "I don't think the world is ready for a rock star as a Nobel Prize winner. They're never going to give it to a rock star."

As the auction began, MARIO BATALI introduced MICHAEL STIPE, who was wearing white boots and suspenders. Mr. Stipe introduced his lunchbox, which was covered in photographs.

"I am not much of a plastic artist," he began. "So what I did was I chose 19 photographs dating back to 1990. Three of the photographs have never been seen before."

We began picturing a young Mr. Stipe at the lunch table, head shaved, face painted half blue, grimly enduring the soulless drivel of the sugar-crazed little Philistines around him.

Third Grader: Hey, Stipey, I'll trade you two bags of Fritos for your Snowball.

Little Mr. Stipe: No, this Snowball is a distilled cry of loneliness. Parting with this Snowball would mean parting with my grief.

Third Grader: How about if I throw in an Oreo?

In the midst of our reverie, CHARLIZE THERON came into the party, followed by a camera crew. She was quickly taken to the back of the art gallery. Heads turned.

Mr. Stipe continued: "This is a picture I took of River Phoenix in 1990. This is a picture of some really scary fruit that was in a fruit basket in Lisbon earlier this year. This is a picture of PATTI SMITH and TOM VERLAINE en route to their European tour." The lunchbox also came with magnets.

After Mr. Stipe's pitch, a bidding war erupted with Bono, Mr. Batali and Mr. Martin.

Mr. Martin won the lunchbox. His final bid was $20,000.

While you contemplate that, we will recount what MAGGIE GYLLENHAAL said her parents packed in her lunchbox: "They would give me a hard-boiled egg and exotic ingredients and put a fancy egg slicer in the lunch box, too. Kids would be eating their little sandwiches and I would be slicing my egg and spreading out salad and putting together a full meal. It tasted great, but it was a little embarrassing."

Things They Forgot to Carry

It is our unfortunate duty to report that KIRK (STICKY FINGAZ') JONES, the actor who plays MAURICE (SMOKE) WILLIAMS on STEVEN (STEVE-O-RAMA) BOCHCO's series "Over There," was arrested yesterday. The police said that Mr. Jones, 35, his handle notwithstanding, turned himself in a day after leaving a firearm in his room at the Flatotel in Midtown.

Callz to Mr. Jones's people were not returned.

With Joe Brescia

From NetMusicCountdown

Chris Martin's New Lunchbox

Coldplay singer outbids Bono in auction for REM lunchbox.

By Krista Desens

NEW YORK, NY Wednesday Oct.19.2005 /netmusiccountdown.com/ -- Coldplay's Chris Martin faced off against U2's Bono last Sunday (October 16th), but it was all in the name of love and charity.

During the Lunchbox Auction kick-off event held on October 16th in New York, Martin and Bono got into a bidding war for a lunchbox designed by REM vocalist Michael Stipe, reports http://www.Virgin.net. Stipe's hand-created, one-of-a-kind lunchbox was just one of over 100 celebrity-designed lunchboxes that will be auctioned off over the next couple months to raise money for hunger relief organizations, the Food Bank For New York City and The Lunchbox Fund to benefit children's programs in New York City and South Africa.

Chris Martin was the winner of the Michael Stipe lunchbox, edging out Bono with a winning bid of $20,000, Bono later joked: "It was death by Coldplay."

MORE...

The Lunchbox Auction is currently underway at eBay, and celebrity-designed lunchboxes will be offered for auction in lots of 10 at a time. Some of the artists who created lunchboxes for this auction include U2's Bono and Edge, Kanye West, David Bowie and Iman, Missy Elliott, Mike D from the Beastie Boys, Death Cab For Cutie, Rob Thomas, Chuck D, Kenny Chesney, Jamie Foxx, Jason Mraz, Sean "Diddy" Combs, and many more.

U2 fans will want to check out famed rock photographer Anton Corbijn's lunchbox, which features an interesting picture of Bono.

For more information about the auction or to bid on a lunchbox, visit http://www.TheLunchBoxAuction.org.

From e-Central

Chris Martin Buys £20,000 Lunchbox

Coldplay frontman Chris Martin has bought a lunchbox designed by R.E.M. frontman Michael Stipe valued at £20,000 at an auction on Sunday night.

He outbidded U2 frontman Bono for the lunchbox at a star-studded event at the Wooster Projects Gallery in New York City. In attendance were celebrities like Mike Myers, Charlize Theron, Naomi Campbell and Alicia Keys.

The auction put under the hammer lunchboxes designed by celebrities like former US President Bill Clinton, Brad Pitt, Clint Eastwood and Angelina Jolie.

From dotmusic

Speed of sandwich

(Tuesday October 18, 2005 05:10 PM)

Chris Martin paid £20,000 for a lunchbox designed by Michael Stipe at the weekend, going head-to-head with Bono at a charity auction.

The Coldplay singer outbid the U2 frontman at the Wooster Projects Gallery in New York City on Sunday night, at an event packed with stars.

After being frustrated in his attempt to buy Stipe's lunchbox at the auction, which was raising money for the Food Bank for New York City, Bono commented: "It was death by Coldplay."

Meanwhile, fellow U2 member The Edge was successful in buying a lunchbox designed by former US President Bill Clinton.

The event was attended by showbiz luminaries including Mike Myers, Charlize Theron, Naomi Campbell and Alicia Keys.

Brad Pitt, Clint Eastwood and Angelina Jolie were amongst the other designers behind the 100-plus lunchboxes that went under the hammer.