🌙 COLDPLAY ANNOUNCE MOON MUSIC OUT OCTOBER 4TH 🎵

Golf - Latest: US PGA Championship, Oak Hill Country Club, Rochester, New York (8-11 August)

Sternly

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Such a load of bullshit. Technically, he lost, but what the fuck. It's a fucking technicality. I hate sports in which you can lose off of such a stupid rule. He wasn't cheating...he didn't do anything that helped his lay (lie?)...yet he loses because it's "technically" a hazard. He didn't lose because he got beat by a better golfer, he lost because of a very small, minor technicality.

Bullshit.

Rules are rules. And the PGA and course organisers made it very clear at the start of the competition that any sand on the course was classed as a bunker. Even to the extent that it was rule 1 on the introductory sheet and it was posted over all the mirrors in the locker room. Golf being a very traditional game has very strict rules including when and when not to ground the club and I'm glad to see that it was enforced to the letter!

_48749617_kaymer466.jpg

Kaymer wins controversial USPGA

Germany's Martin Kaymer clinched his maiden major title when he beat American Bubba Watson in a play-off for the USPGA at Whistling Straits.

The pair ended tied on 11 under and the 25-year-old Kaymer edged the three-hole play-off by one shot in Wisconsin. But there was controversy when Dustin Johnson, who missed a putt to win, was then docked two shots for grounding his club in sand on 18 to end nine under. Rory McIlroy and Zach Johnson were 10 under, while Tiger Woods was two under.

Kaymer becomes the third first-time major winner in a row after Louis Oosthuizen won the Open and Graeme McDowell triumphed in the US Open, and the sixth in the last seven majors. And he becomes only the second German major winner after Bernhard Langer won the Masters in 1985 and 1993.

In the play-off, Kaymer and left-hander Watson exchanged birdies on the first two holes before the American found trouble on the 18th.

e dunked his second shot into a creek short of the green, took a drop and then hit into a bunker beyond the green. Despite nearly chipping in, he ended with a six.

Kaymer, after consulting Scottish caddie Craig Connelly, laid up short with his second before firing to 12ft from where he took two putts to clinch the title and seal his debut on the European Ryder Cup side. "In the regular round I felt a lot of pressure, especially on the last four or five holes," said Kaymer, who won the fifth of his previous European Tour titles earlier this year. "In the play-off I was very calm and confident. I just thought, 'don't make any stupid mistakes'. "It was an amazing feeling on 18 with two putts to win - that felt pretty cool. I don't realise what has just happened - I just won my first major and I am just on Tour for four years. I have goosebumps."

Watson, who won his maiden PGA Tour title earlier this season, was disappointed but insisted qualifying for his first US Ryder Cup team was some consolation. "I made the Ryder Cup, so that's all I care about," said Watson.

But the finale will be remembered for the controversy that befell Dustin Johnson. Leading by one going down the last, the 26-year-old carved his tee shot into the crowd on the right, before grounding his club as he addressed his second shot on a patch of trampled sand.

The Whistling Straits course on the shores of Lake Michigan has about 1,200 bunkers, many of which are little more than pieces of sandy waste ground. But the PGA of America put a notice in the locker room all week to remind players that every patch of sand was to be treated as a bunker regardless of its location, and the rules of golf state that players must not ground their club in a bunker.

Johnson fired through the green but chipped back on to six feet and had a putt to win the title. It was only afterwards that his indiscretion was pointed out. "It never once crossed my mind I was in a sand trap," said Johnson, who led the US Open by three shots going into the final round at Pebble Beach in June, only to crash to a round of 82. "The only worse thing that could have happened is if I had made that putt on the final hole. I just thought I was on a piece of dirt where the crowd had trampled it down. Obviously I know I can't ground my club in a bunker but I should have looked at the rules sheet a little closer."

One of the rules of golf is that players will incur a two-stroke penalty if they ground their club in a sand or water hazard. This means they must not allow their clubhead to touch the ground before striking the ball.

Johnson had emerged from the pack with a birdie on 17 after an absorbing final round that saw a host of players sharing the lead at some stage. American Nick Watney led by three at the start of the day but he quickly fell away and amassed a round of 81, ironically in the final group alongside Johnson. Kaymer made a fast start and birdied two of the first four holes to join Watney and Dustin Johnson in the lead on 11 under before stretching out to 12 under after 10 for a two-shot lead over Australia's 47-year-old Steve Elkington, the 1995 USPGA champion.

But in a fascinating back nine, Watson, McIlroy and Elkington all joined Kaymer in the lead at some point until Johnson looked to have snatched control on 17. Kaymer holed a long putt on 18 for a round of 70 to join Watson (68) in the clubhouse on 11 under before Johnson's adventures began on the last.

McIlroy, who was third last year and also came third at the Open last month, set up a host of birdie chances but could not gain any momentum and hit three birdies and three bogeys for a level-par 72. "It was just a weird day," said the 21-year-old. "I'll take the positives from it. It wasn't the result I wanted, but it's a learning experience."

Zach Johnson, the 2007 Masters champion, ended alongside McIlroy after a 70 as namesake (but no relation) Dustin Johnson slipped back to join Elkington (71) and American Jason Dufner (71) at nine under. Mickelson, the 2005 USPGA winner, surged up the leaderboard with a 67, one of only four men to break 70 all day, to join England's Paul Casey and Simon Dyson on six under.

Masters champion Mickelson needed to finish fourth and hope one of a number of scenarios played out to have a chance of overtaking Woods and ending his 270-week reign as world number one. "Winning a major makes the year special," said Mickelson. "I was trying to get a little greedy and see if I could get a second one. Unfortunately, I didn't play good enough golf. Had a fun week, though. I really enjoyed my time here."

Woods needed to finish inside the top seven to have a chance of making the US Ryder Cup team automatically but ended in a tie for 28th after a 73. "I hit the ball so good starting and then I lost it. Nine and 10 hurt quite a bit," he said. And on Ryder Cup selection? "I'd like to make the team but obviously I will have to rely on [captain] Corey Pavin for a pick. I'm going to go home and practice."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/golf/8916112.stm

_48748829_woods282.jpg

Tiger Woods misses US Ryder Cup team qualification

Tiger Woods failed to qualify for one of automatic spots on the US Ryder Cup team when the selection race ended after the USPGA on Sunday. The world number one tied for 28th at Whistling Straits to finish 12th in the Ryder Cup standings with the top eight receiving a place on the US team.

Woods will now have to rely on one of four wildcard picks on 7 September. USPGA runner-up Bubba Watson sealed his debut in third place, but Anthony Kim and Lucas Glover also missed out. Masters champion Phil Mickelson topped the standings from WGC Bridgestone Invitational winner Hunter Mahan as Watson, Jim Furyk, Steve Stricker, Dustin Johnson, Jeff Overton and Matt Kuchar made up the eight who qualified for the 1-3 October match at Celtic Manor.

Kim, who missed three months after thumb surgery, 2009 US Open champion Glover, 2007 Masters winner Zach Johnson and world number one Woods were next in line and are now in the hands of captain Corey Pavin.

Watson climbed 15 spots with his play-off loss to Martin Kaymer in the USPGA and becomes one of four rookies on the team along with Johnson, Overton and Kuchar. "I've wanted to play the Ryder Cup my whole life," said Watson. "I've made many a putt when I was eight and 10-years-old to win the Ryder Cup. So why would you not want to play for your country?"

The 34-year-old Woods, whose world has been turned upside down after a sex scandal, is struggling to recreate the form that has won him 14 major titles and has not clinched a major since June 2008. After taking five months out to address issues in his private life at the start of the year, he made an encouraging return when he finished tied for fourth at the Masters and again at the US Open.

But the rest of his year has been poor by his standards, including missing the cut at Quail Hollow, withdrawing from the Players Championship and suffering his worst four-round result in a PGA Tour finish at Ohio last week.

His private life has remained under intense scrutiny and he has also struggled with injuries but his most visible problems have been with his game, driving erratically and putting badly. He has sought the help of Canadian swing coach Sean Foley after former guru Hank Haney quit in May, and while he believes he is making some early improvements he admits it remains a work in progress.

"I asked him to take a look at my swing this week and give me some ideas of what he sees," Woods said. "I like some of the things he had to say about my golf swing and where I needed to go. I like the direction because I was able to hit the shots that I used to be able to hit feel wise. As far as working down the road, I'm sure I'm going to see him a little bit more. I still want to pick his brain a little bit more."

Although it is considered a foregone conclusion that Woods would be offered a wildcard, Pavin said this week that he was not guaranteed a place because he wanted to be fair to all the players in contention.

"Well Corey texts me a lot so, I'm sure he'll be texting me or calling me and I'm sure we'll be talking," Woods said. "I'm looking forward to it. Hopefully, Corey will pick me on the team."

And he joked: "I think I've got a chance of maybe helping out in singles."

Woods has played in five Ryder Cups beginning at Valderrama in 1997 but missed out in 2008 after knee surgery, when the US team won for the first time since 1999 and recorded its largest margin of victory since 1981.

The European team qualification for the nine automatic slots ends at the Johnnie Walker Championship on 29 August after which captain Colin Montgomerie will name three wildcards.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/golf/8916134.stm

Rules are rules. And the PGA and course organisers made it very clear at the start of the competition that any sand on the course was classed as a bunker. Even to the extent that it was rule 1 on the introductory sheet and it was posted over all the mirrors in the locker room. Golf being a very traditional game has very strict rules including when and when not to ground the club and I'm glad to see that it was enforced to the letter!

Of course it should be enforced; I'm simply pointing out the fact that it's the only sport in the world in which you can lose off of a technicality, which makes me loathe it (competitively, it's still great to play for fun).

• 1 month later...

_47947022_firsttee_huw.jpg

2010 Ryder Cup in numbers

Wales is ready to stage the 38th Ryder Cup in the first propose-built Ryder Cup course at Celtic Manor. Golf is usually a game all about keeping the high numbers off your scorecard - but for the 2010 Ryder Cup organisers it seems that the bigger the number the better the spectacle.

Here is BBC Sport's at-a-glance guide to the 2010 Ryder Cup in numbers:-

1 Ryder Cup trophy.

2 opposing captains.

3 dormouse crossings have been built for the 2010 Ryder Cup.

9 new holes on the Twenty Ten course, nine revamped and remodelled holes from the old Wentwood Hills championship course.

16 million spent by the Celtic Manor on redeveloping the Twenty Ten course and clubhouse, making it the first purpose-built course in Ryder Cup history.

20 kilometres of rope to cordon off the Twenty Ten course.

24 players making up the European and American team at the 2010 Ryder Cup.

27 million pound spent on 'legacy infrastructure' by the Welsh Assembly Government.

49 planning conditions were adhered to in Twenty Ten course and clubhouse build.

80 live cameras on course plus 60 microphones will bring viewers and listeners the best of the action.

90 kilometres of TV fibre cable to 30 outside broadcast vehicles for 50 different broadcasters of the 2010 Ryder Cup.

120 is the length in metres of new bridge to practice ground.

320 golf buggies will be used on-course by TV/catering/ground workers/sponsors and team members over the Ryder Cup weekend.

333 rooms at the Celtic Manor hotel.

600 telephone lines have been installed for the Ryder Cup.

850 TV staff will work the 2010 Ryder Cup.

1,000 accredited media will attend Celtic Manor.

1,400 acres of Usk Valley covered by the Celtic Manor.

1,500 on-course grandstand seats for the anticipated 45,000-a-day spectators.

1,500 kilogrammes of Welsh cheese will be sold over the week at the Celtic Manor

1860 was when the first Celtic Manor house was built by South Wales coal mine owner and first coal millionaire Thomas Powell.

1980 was when Terry Matthews bought the former manor house and Celtic Manor maternity hospital.

3,290 is the amount of days between Wales being awarded the 2010 Ryder Cup and staging the Ryder Cup's first day.

7,378 is the length in yards of Celtic Manor's Twenty Ten course.

8,000 hospitality meals will be served each match day of the 2010 Ryder Cup.

20,550 car parking spaces for spectators to the Ryder Cup.

30,000 toilet rolls will be used by guests to the 2010 Ryder Cup.

45,000 bin liners will be used over the week to dispose of the rubbish at Celtic Manor.

50,000 latex gloves will be used by the 300-strongarmy of cleaners at the 2010 Ryder Cup

55,000 breakfast rolls will be eaten by spectators at the 2010 Ryder Cup.

500,000 litres of water will be used each day at Celtic Manor.

620,000,000 households will watch the 2010 Ryder Cup in 195 countries around the world.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/golf/9016737.stm

_49197456_euroskippers_get.jpg

Nine years in the planning, 2010 Ryder Cup is days away

The 2010 Ryder Cup has been nine years in the planning, but now the action is just days away.

Wales is bracing itself for the glare of a worldwide audience it has never known before as an estimated two billion people around the world will be watching Newport between 1 and 3 October.

The flags are flying, the bunting is up and the M4 roadworks have disappeared (for now) as a 1,400 acre area of the Usk Valley will be beamed into approximately 62 million households in 195 countries for three days.

Wales has hosted FA Cup football finals, a Rugby World Cup and Heineken Cup finals and an Ashes Test cricket match, but these have been nothing like a Ryder Cup.

Golf's matchplay showpiece is third only to the football World Cup and Olympics as the most-watched sporting event on the planet, so Newport is to be the centre of the sporting universe for one weekend only.

And it is not surprising that the Celtic Manor's imaginatively named Twenty Ten course has been undergoing a golfing make-over akin to a Gok Wan special for the past five years.

Wales, Newport and the Celtic Manor have spent every one of the 3,290 days in between winning the 38th Ryder Cup bid and a ball being hit in anger to prepare for more than three days of golf - it is a chance for Wales to showcase itself to the world.

Since Wales won the bid in September 2001, moves have been afoot to strip down Wales' poor golfing image, infrastructure and appeal and rebuild it into a dynamic, attractive and popular golfing destination.

The 2010 Ryder Cup has been a catalyst in helping Wales live up to its marketing slogan of 'Golf as it Should Be' and now with the event about to tee off, all that work is coming to fruition - even if the disruption locally proves frustrating at times.

Gok himself might even say Wales now looks good naked, but the 2010 course itself is anything but bare and basic.

The transformation from a tranquil 18 holes to a course fit for a Ryder Cup and ready to welcome Tiger Woods, Lee Westwood, Phil Mickelson and the world's finest golfers has been quite extraordinary.

_49199774_captains_huw.jpg

US captain Corey Pavin goes head to head with Europe's Colin Montgomerie

Construction of the temporary city around the Celtic Manor began in July - and in the 10 weeks since some 15,000 seats have been installed as 20 grandstands are available to spectators.

Approximately 20km of rope and five thousand white stakes now caress the course, with approximately seven miles of crowd control barriers being used around the site.

About 300 buses will ferry 45,000 punters a day in and out, and once they arrive they will devour 20,000 portions of fish & chips, 5,000 bottles of bubbly, 132,000 pints of beer, 10,000 bottles of wine and 1500kg of Welsh cheeses.

And if you're not one of the lucky ones to be there, then the next best place to watch the action is in your front room.

An estimated 80 live cameras - plus 22 hi-tech 3D cameras - will beam pictures into approximately 620 million households via 50 different broadcasters who will have 850 TV staff working on the event.

Meanwhile, some 1,000 accredited media will pore over every on-course move as 100 courtesy cars will ferry the players and VIPs around the manor while 320 golf buggies will be in operation as 7,000 staff will hope to stage an event fit for sporting and celebrity royalty.

But the most important statistics of all are low in the single figures.

Two teams playing for one thing - the Ryder Cup - and despite all the stats, figures, and numbers, that is the only thing that will count to captains Corey Pavin of America and his European counterpart Colin Montgomerie.

_49199947_manor_up_huw.jpg

The Celtic Manor was awarded 39th Ryder Cup host in September 2001

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/golf/9022114.stm

_49262902_010279225-1.jpg

US captain Pavin and Europe captain Montgomerie prepare for battle on Friday

Ryder Cup 2010: Players banned from tweeting

The Europe and United States Ryder Cup teams have been banned from tweeting until after the end of the tournament. Both US captain Corey Pavin and his counterpart Colin Montgomerie, who said tweeting could cause "trouble", confirmed their decision on Monday.

Four players in Europe's team and five from the US side actively use Twitter. "Tweeting and social network sites can get one into trouble," said Montgomerie ahead of the Ryder Cup which begins at Celtic Manor on Friday. The Europe players who will have to refrain from posting their thoughts are US Open winner Graeme McDowell, Ian Poulter, Rory McIlroy and Francesco Molinari.

The players from the US team that tweet, include Stewart Cink, Rickie Fowler, Zach Johnson, Hunter Mahan and Bubba Watson.

The ban appears to have not come into effect yet, with McDowell, McIlroy and Poulter among the golfers still tweeting.

Recently, cricketers Kevin Pietersen and Dimitri Mascarenhas were both fined for rants on Twitter.

Footballers Jozy Altidore and Darren Bent have also been in trouble for ill-advised public comments, while swimmer Stephanie Rice lost a sponsorship deal and was forced to make a public apology for an allegedly homophobic comment on Twitter. "The team has come to a consensus not to do it," said fellow tweeter Pavin on the temporary ban. "It can be a little bit distracting sometimes, and I think it is important to focus on the Ryder Cup and playing in the matches. We've decided to not tweet this week, but a week today I am sure tweeting will be all over the place."

Montgomerie added: "We are in the same boat. I think it's important we focus on the job in hand this week. We are here to try regain the trophy that Corey has brought back for us. We have to focus on that job, and as Corey rightly says, on Monday 4 October, yes, you will find the team probably on social network sites, but not until then."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/golf/9036588.stm

_49317623_010295721-1.jpg

McDowell and McIlroy are friends on and off the course

Ryder Cup 2010: Friday fourballs pairings revealed

The Ryder Cup pairings for Friday's fourballs matches have been revealed.

Europe's Lee Westwood and Martin Kaymer will open against the United States pair of Phil Mickelson and Dustin Johnson at 0745 BST.

Northern Ireland duo Rory McIlroy and Graeme McDowell face Matt Kuchar and Stewart Cink.

Tiger Woods and Steve Stricker play Ian Poulter and Ross Fisher before Luke Donald and Padraig Harrington take on Bubba Watson and Jeff Overton.

More to follow.

US edge rain-affected first day

United States bounced back on a rain-hit first day of the Ryder Cup which finished with no fourballs completed.

The US are up in two, all square in one and down in one against Europe.

Stewart Cink and Matt Kuchar lead Rory McIlroy and Graeme McDowell while Bubba Watson and Jeff Overton are up on Padraig Harrington and Luke Donald.

Ian Poulter and Ross Fisher are tied with Tiger Woods and Steve Stricker, while Lee Westwood and Martin Kaymer lead Phil Mickelson and Dustin Johnson.

Europe were up in three out of the four Friday fourballs matches before the relentless rain, which was present when Johnson teed off at 0745 BST, had finally called halt to play at 0943 BST.

However, the US fought back shortly after the 1700 BST resumption but, as a result of the seven hours lost, the format of the competition has been altered.

The opening foursomes will play to a finish when the action resumes at the planned starting time of 0745 BST on Saturday.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/golf/9051373.stm

_49328453_010310666-1.jpg

_49329226_010310794-1.jpg

_49330906_010311734-1.jpg

_49334623_010312997-1.jpg

_49345250_010319340-1.jpg

Europe launch Ryder Cup fightback

Europe produced a stirring comeback in Saturday's final session against the United States to put themselves in a strong position at the Ryder Cup.

The US ended the opening fourballs with a 2½-1½ lead and extended that to 6-4 after the expanded foursomes session.

But Europe rallied and were up in all six matches, two foursomes and four fourballs, when play ended at 1845 BST.

Lee Westwood and Luke Donald, Europe's outstanding performers, were 4up on Tiger Woods and Steve Stricker.

Westwood and Donald have nine holes left to play, while in the final foursomes Graeme McDowell and Rory McIlroy are 3up on Zack Johnson and Hunter Mahan after seven. The top fourballs sees Padraig Harrington and Ross Fisher 1up after seven against Jim Furyk and Dustin Johnson, with Peter Henson and Miguel Angel Jimenez 2up on Bubba Watson and Jeff Overton after six.

Francesco Molinari chipped in just before the close to put himself and brother Edoardo 2up on Stewart Cink and Matt Kuchar, while Ian Poulter and Martin Kaymer are 2up on Phil Mickelson and Rickie Fowler after four.

"It's been a superb session from the moment we set off," said Europe captain Colin Montgomerie. "I've been very impressed with everyone's play and attitude this afternoon and this evening.

"It's been a very important two hours of play and we've come through it with flying colours. The job is half done, we've got to keep going and maintain this momentum on Sunday morning.

"None of these games are finished but we're in a very, very strong position suddenly. It was not going well at lunchtime, it was a bit stale, but I asked for more passion and they showed it."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/golf/9054223.stm