🌙 COLDPLAY ANNOUNCE MOON MUSIC OUT OCTOBER 4TH 🎵

Golf - Latest: US PGA Championship, Oak Hill Country Club, Rochester, New York (8-11 August)

Sternly

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

_54103076_54103075.jpg

Clarke's ball-striking was exemplary in the challenging conditions

The Open 2011: Darren Clarke one shot ahead after R3

Northern Ireland's Darren Clarke will take a one-shot lead into the final round of the Open at Royal St George's on Sunday.

The 42-year-old escaped some brutal morning weather and fired a one-under 69 to edge to five under on a day of attrition on the Kent coast.

American Dustin Johnson climbed into second after sharing the joint best round of the day, a 68, with countryman Rickie Fowler.

The 22-year-old Fowler's impressive score, despite enduring some of the worst of the driving rain and 35mph winds, took him up to a tie for third with first-round co-leader Thomas Bjorn (71) of Denmark. Spain's Miguel Angel Jimenez slipped to a two-over 72 to end one under alongside joint overnight leader Lucas Glover (73) of America.

World number six Phil Mickelson headlined a group at level par comprising fellow American Anthony Kim (70), US Ryder Cup captain Davis Love (72), Germany's world number three Martin Kaymer, Dane Anders Hansen (72) and South African George Coetzee (72). US Open champion Rory McIlroy struggled to a round of 74, which included a double-bogey seven after going out of bounds at the 14th, to end on four over.

Just three players negotiated Royal St George's under par on Saturday and only six are under par for the tournament going into the final round. Eight years ago when the Open was last played at Sandwich, only winner Ben Curtis finished under par. The record comeback in the last round of the Open was Paul Lawrie's 10-shot reverse courtesy of Jean van de Velde's meltdown at Carnoustie in 1999. Going into Sunday, 36 players are still within 10 shots of the lead.

Clarke, who was second at Royal Troon in 1997 and third at Royal Lytham in 2001, went off in the last group at 1505 BST as the driving rain and 35mph gusting wind was abating. But despite a birdie at the first he was unable to stretch further clear and swapped two more birdies with two bogeys in evening sunshine.

"I've a pretty decent chance. A major is always tough to win, but I've put myself in position," Clarke said. "From tee to green I can't really play any better. I had one of those days where I had full control of my ball flight, but I didn't have the speed with my putting at all. If somebody had said before the start I could have 69, though, I would have bitten their hand off."

As for the ovations he received he laughed and replied: "I think most of the crowd identify with a guy who's not quite an athlete and likes a pint."

The powerful Johnson, 27, slipped back to one under after a bogey at the fourth, playing the hardest hole on the course because of the wind direction, but edged forward with a mix of six birdies and three bogeys.

Johnson, who tied for 14th at last year's Open, took a three-shot lead into the final round of the 2010 US Open before collapsing to a closing 82 at Pebble Beach.

"Obviously I've been in this situation a few times, so I think the more and more you can put yourself in it the more comfortable you get," he said. "I know what to expect. I know how to approach it and what to do."

Fowler, playing with McIlroy for the third straight day, traded a bogey and birdie on the front nine and dropped another shot on the 10th but picked up three shots in his last six holes.

"I had quite a bit of fun out there today," said Fowler. "Obviously it wasn't the best conditions possible, but I knew going into the day that it was going to play tough and just had to make the most of it. I would have loved a couple over par going into the day, but we made the best of the conditions and played well."

McIlroy, 22, began the day at level par and was pleased to get through 13 holes in two over after bogeys at the first, third and eighth and a birdie at the long seventh. Five more pars followed as he battled the worst of the wind and rain but on the 14th at the far edge of the course his tee shot flew out of bounds on the right and his seven knocked the wind out of his sails.

"It's a big setback," McIlroy said. "I obviously wanted to go out and get myself closer to the lead and not further away from it. "I wasn't able to do that and I'll need a good one tomorrow, and if it doesn't look like I can win, I'll try my best to get a top 10 or top five."

Simon Dyson is the highest-placed Englishman at two over after a 72, while five-time champion Tom Watson also carded 72 to end four over, a shot better than 20-year-old English amateur Tom Lewis, his partner for the first two days.

Lewis, playing with Mickelson on Saturday, took 76 but heads American Peter Uihlein (75) by two shots in the competition for the Silver Medal for leading amateur.

Defending champion Louis Oosthuizen took 74 for six over, while Masters winner Charl Schwartzel had a 75 for three over and Australian Jason Day, second at the last two majors, amassed 76 for seven over.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/golf/14174845.stm

_54104808_54104807.jpg

_54112178_54111588.jpg

The Open 2011: Darren Clarke captures maiden major win

Darren Clarke kept his nerve to clinch his maiden major title with a three-shot victory in the Open at Royal St George's.

The 42-year-old Northern Irishman fired a final-round 70 to finish five under to hold off Americans Phil Mickelson (68) and Dustin Johnson (72). Denmark's Thomas Bjorn ended on one under after a 71 with American trio Rickie Fowler (72), Chad Campbell (69) and Anthony Kim (70) on level par.

Clarke, playing in his 20th Open Championship, is the first winner from the UK since Paul Lawrie in 1999 and becomes only the second Northern Irishman to win the Open after Fred Daly in 1947. And he follows in the footsteps of countrymen Rory McIlroy and Graeme McDowell who both won their first majors at the US Open this year and last, respectively.

Clarke led by one from Johnson going into the last round and he showed complete control of his emotions as he smiled his way to the Claret Jug. On a day of sunny periods and fierce squalls, Clarke picked up a shot at the second, handed it back at the fourth, and then eagled the long seventh to reach the turn at seven under for a two-shot lead over Mickelson.

Four-time major champion Mickelson had started the day five strokes off the lead and scorched around the front nine in 30, including his own eagle at the long seventh. The 41-year-old left-hander picked up another shot at the 10th to close the gap to one, but his wheels fell off in spectacular fashion as he dropped four shots in six holes to end his chance of a maiden Open title. He did, though, beat his previous best Open finish of third at Royal Troon in 2004.

Johnson, 27, had scrapped hard to get to five under, just two behind playing partner Clarke after 13 holes, but went out of bounds on the long 14th and took a double bogey to hand the Northern Irishman a four-shot lead. Thoughts turned to Bjorn, who had squandered a three-shot lead with four left at the same venue in 2003. But despite a bogey on the 17th, Clarke remained firm and none of his rivals could close the gap over the final few holes.

Walking down the 18th, the popular Clarke, who lost wife Heather to breast cancer in 2006, removed his visor and greeted the cheering crowd with the Claret Jug virtually secured. A bogey was enough for the man from Dungannon as he hugged his mother and father and new fiancée Alison as the 2011 Open champion.

"It is just incredible. I'm a bit speechless. I played ok today, I did what I had to do and the last few holes when I was far ahead I just tried to be careful and not do anything stupid," he told BBC Sport. "I've been very calm all week, I won six weeks ago and the more you put yourself in winning positions the more comfortable you get. I was very comfortable with my game this week. "I could hear the roars going up for Phil Mickelson on the way round but I was hitting some shots and doing ok. Professional golf has its ebbs and flows, that's the way it goes. "It's very special for me and the kids. They were playing at Portrush today and they will be very proud. The celebrations could be long and - not arduous - very enjoyable tonight."

In a perfectly presented acceptance speech Clarke said: "I've been writing this speech for 20 years now and it's been a long bumpy road. I've had good and bad things happen to me on the way. Sometimes I was good, sometimes I was bad but I have had so much support from everyone. There might be lots of Irish black stuff in this trophy this evening as I'm fond of a beverage from time to time. "This means a lot to me and my family and as you may know there is someone up there looking down on me as well. I can't thank you enough for the support I've had this past four days. The roaring has helped me to stand here and I thank you all from the bottom of my heart."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/golf/14178214.stm

• 3 weeks later...

_54428956_54428955.jpg

Woods wore a lightweight shoe to help his recent Achilles injury

Tiger Woods starts well on return in WGC Invitational

Tiger Woods returned from injury with an impressive two-under-par opening round of 68 in the first round of the WGC Invitational in Akron, Ohio.

In his first competitive appearance for 12 weeks, Woods parred the first nine holes and dropped only one stroke.

Playing partner and Open champion Darren Clarke struggled to a 77, but Lee Westwood shot 67 and world number one Luke Donald and Rory McIlroy 68's.

Australian Adam Scott carded a superb 62, for a one-shot lead over Jason Day.

Scott, with Woods' former caddie Steve Williams on his bag, was in sublime touch with his unorthodox elongated putter, with three successive birdies on the back nine and no dropped strokes.

In tranquil, sunny conditions at the Firestone Country Club, Woods, who has won seven times at the course, hit his first two tee shots into fairway bunkers but displayed impressive powers of resolve in a level-par outward nine of 35. His approach to the third went through the green after some mud affected the flight of the ball and his chip from thick rough went 15-feet past.

But the former world number one, back with the favoured steel Scotty Cameron putter he used to win all but the first of his 14 major titles, holed impressively for par.

A majestic iron shot to six feet at the par-three fourth set up a birdie chance but it stayed up, as did an eight-and-a-half foot opportunity after a fine six-iron at the next.

However, Woods sank a 20-footer for par at the ninth, calmly rolled in his first birdie of the day from five feet at the next and another fine approach to seven feet set up another at the 11th.

His only dropped shot of the day came at the 467-yard par-four 14th when a nine-iron second shot from 161 yards went over the green and found an awkward spot in the bunker.

A third birdie followed at the par-five 16th despite an errant drive, followed by a dramatic cut escape from under the trees, an indifferent pitch and then a magical 25-foot putt from the edge of the green. "The hardest part was controlling the distances, I was hitting it so flush," the 35-year-old said. "I've got so much more speed and compression through impact. The ball's taking off and I was hitting numbers I've never hit before. It was fun."

Clarke holed his second shot from 184 yards for an eagle at the eighth but came home in 41 shots, taking a double bogey at the 16th after visiting the lake in front of the green.

Donald, who missed the cut at The Open last month, had no such problems, starting his round at the 10th with a birdie and collecting another at the second.

"It was an easy two under," he said. "I hit the ball very well tee to green and could have gone lower if I'd got the putter working a little better."

McIlroy, who revealed on the eve of the event that he is likely to rejoin the PGA Tour next year, began his round from the 10th and bogeyed two of his first four holes, but knocked in a 12-foot birdie putt on the 17th.

A 230-yard second shot to within six feet of the flag set up an eagle on the 526-yard second and he followed that with a birdie before parring his way in.

"It was a decent opening round. I've still got a little bit to work on, but 68 is not a bad start," said the 22-year-old Northern Irishman after his first round in America since winning the US Open in June.

His compatriot Graeme McDowell, also began at the 10th, had four birdies in his first nine holes before wayward drives cost him four shots in three holes and he finished with a one-over-par 71.

McDowell was partnering Westwood, who turned in level par before collecting birdies at the first, second, fifth and sixth.

The world number two has started working with Dave Stockton on his putting and Bob Rotella on his mental approach to the game and commented: "I'm not spending so much time over the ball.

"A 67 is never anything to complain about around this golf course, even when there's not much wind and it's playing soft. I was pleased with the way I played."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/golf/14402346.stm

_54448314_54448313.jpg

Woods slips back in second round

Tiger Woods found the second round harder going in his return to action at the WGC-Bridgestone Invitational.

The former world number one followed up his opening 68 with a round of 71 to slip to one under for the tournament. Overnight leader Adam Scott could not match his first round of 62 and remains tied for the lead in a group of four players on eight under.

Scotland's Martin Laird was a shot back at seven under par after birdieing his last three holes for a 67. "I came into this week feeling fresh and on a high," said Laird, who got married last Saturday in Colorado. "Sometimes it's amazing when you have no expectations how well you'll play."

Scott hit a level-par 70 and was caught by two of the early movers on day two at the Firestone Country Club, Americans Ricky Fowler (64) and Ryan Moore (66), who joined the Australian on eight under.

Keegan Bradley of the United States hit a fine 65 to move alongside the leaders, but Australia's Jason Day failed to make it a group of five when he bogeyed the 18th to end the day of seven under with Laird and Sweden's Robert Karlsson.

World number two Lee Westwood looked set to challenge at six under but four bogeys in the last six holes saw him slip to two under. Open champion Darren Clarke, playing alongside Woods, could only manage a 74 and finished on a humbling 11 over after two rounds, while fellow Northern Irishman Rory McIlroy carded a second 68 to go four under par, one clear of world number one Luke Donald (69). Woods - a seven-time winner at Firestone - was playing for the first time in 12 weeks after injury.

He made four birdies to three bogeys, but a double-bogey six on the sixth hole cost him dear, although he took comfort from what he felt was a second strong day in terms of driving. I didn't putt as well as I did yesterday, and consequently I just never got the round going," said the 14-times major champion. I know my stats don't show it, but just the way I'm driving the golf ball - I'm so close to putting the ball on a string, so it's coming."

He added: "I got so much more compression and the ball is just going. I've just got to get used to that and trust the number. I'm hitting the ball numbers I've never hit before."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/golf/14427014.stm

_54475522_54475521.jpg

Adam Scott wins WGC-Bridgestone Invitational in Ohio

Australian Adam Scott captured the WGC Invitational by four shots after a commanding final round of 65 in Ohio.

The 31-year-old had a bogey-free round to finish at 17 under, ahead of Rickie Fowler, who shot a 66, and world number one Luke Donald, also round in 66. Rory McIlroy carded a 67 to share sixth at 10 under, Lee Westwood was one more back after a fine 65 and Scot Martin Laird's 72 left him joint 11th.

Tiger Woods was wayward off the tee but tied for 37th at one over after a 70. "I was hitting it great then all of sudden I absolutely lost it but I got it back at the end," said Woods, who had three successive birdies on the back nine at the end of his first tournament for 12 weeks following injury. "I've just got to keep playing. It's just something that comes over time of just playing and getting the feel for it."

For his former caddie Steve Williams, it was a remarkable eighth victory at the event, having been in the employment of Woods for seven between 1999 and 2009.

Scott started the final round one clear of playing partner Ryo Ishikawa, bidding to become the youngest winner on the PGA Tour for exactly 100 years.

The 19-year-old peppered the flags in the early stages and a third of the way through the round he had picked up three birdies to tie the lead with Scott at 13 under.

The teenager dropped his second shot of the day, however, when he failed to get up and down from the fringe, while playing partner Scott was content to play conservatively and secure pars.

Donald, who began the day three shots off the pace, birdied the opening hole from four feet but missed successive birdie putts from inside eight feet at the eighth and ninth.

But at the 10th he holed from the back edge of the green to move within two of Scott's lead, before missing another birdie opportunity from around the 10 feet range at the par-three 12th.

Donald kept his hopes alive with a birdie from close range at the 13th but Scott moved two clear of the field at 15 under by holing a superb chip from the fringe to birdie the 12th. Westwood, who began the final day eight shots adrift, pitched to within a foot at the 12th for his fourth birdie of the day, before finishing nine under.

McIlroy, who dropped a shot at the first hole, finished one better, squandering the chance of a fifth birdie when he missed from three feet at the last. Having played a delightful escape from the bunker at the 14th, Donald missed from four feet for par and Scott soon rolled in a 15-footer at that hole with his trusty long putter to open a three-shot advantage.

Fowler, still seeking his first PGA title, began and ended his round with birdies to share second with Donald, who regained his putting touch to birdie two of the closing three holes.

As Ishikawa bogeyed the last to drop to fourth with Jason Day, who finished second at both the Masters and US Open this year, Scott fittingly holed from six feet for his fourth birdie on the back nine and celebrated his first title since the Singapore Open in November last year.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/golf/14438832.stm

_54476482_012616434-1.jpg

Ex-Woods caddie savours Scott win

Caddie Steve Williams claimed helping Adam Scott to victory was the most satisfying win he's ever had - two weeks after being axed by Tiger Woods.

New Zealander Williams won 13 majors alongside Woods before the duo split last month.

Williams was on the bag as Scott sealed a four-shot win at the WGC Invitational on Sunday - 18 shots ahead of Woods. Williams said: "It's the greatest week of my life caddying - and I sincerely mean that."

Scott finished four shots ahead of England's world number one Luke Donald and Rickie Fowler to take his first world title. Williams, 47, will be alongside his new man for the USPGA Championship in Atlanta this week but is stil bitter about his sacking by Woods.

"It's the most satisfying win I've ever had, there's no two ways about it," Williams said. "The fans have been unbelievable. I was absolutely shocked that I got the boot to be honest with you. I've caddied for the guy for 12 years, I've been incredibly loyal to the guy and I got short-shrifted."

Woods finished joint 37th but was satisifed with his first tournament back after 12 weeks out with knee and Achilles tendon injuries.

"I had it in spurts," he said after a closing 70 that contained a hat-trick of birdies from the 15th. "I hit it really well and then I'd lose it and get it back. I'm still struggling with my alignment and trusting the fact that the ball doesn't shape as much as it used to. "But I'm absolutely encouraged. You have to understand I haven't played. At home playing money games with my buddies is just not quite the same."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/golf/14440774.stm

....................../´¯/)

....................,/¯../

.................../..../

............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸

........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\

........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')

.........\.................'...../

..........''...\.......... _.·´

............\..............(

..............\.............\...