🌙 COLDPLAY ANNOUNCE MOON MUSIC OUT OCTOBER 4TH 🎵

Golf - Latest: US PGA Championship, Oak Hill Country Club, Rochester, New York (8-11 August)

Sternly

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

_54449265_gettywinners.jpg

McIlroy and Clarke will be looking to add another major to their collection

Rory McIlroy and Darren Clarke paired at PGA Championship

Northern Irish duo Rory McIlroy and Darren Clarke will play together for the first two rounds of the US PGA Championship in Atlanta, Georgia.

In keeping with the tradition that the winners of the first three majors of the year are grouped, they will tee-off at 1845 BST on Thursday with South African Charl Schwartzel.

Tiger Woods will make his major return at the tournament alongside Ireland's Padraig Harrington and Davis Love.

The trio start on the 10th at 1435.

Reigning champion Martin Kaymer of Germany will join South Korean YE Yang and American Shaun Micheel at 1815, while England's world number one Luke Donald is paired with American Nick Watney and Spaniard Alvaro Quiros, who are due to begin on the 10th hole at 1425.

Clarke will tee off alongside US Open winner McIlroy and Masters champion Schwartzel 25 days after sealing a three-shot victory in the Open at Sandwich, the first major victory of the 42-year-old's career.

McIlroy's eight-shot triumph at Congressional in June and Schwartzel's two-shot win at Augusta in April were also the respective golfers' maiden major titles.

Woods, who has 14 major victories to his name, made his comeback at this week's Bridgestone Invitational in Ohio.

The 35-year-old has not played competitively since pulling out of the Players Championship in May because of knee and Achilles injuries.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/golf/14426644.stm

Stricker leads at dramatic US PGA

Stricker leads at dramatic US PGA

_54557939_54557938.jpg

American Steve Stricker equalled the lowest round in major history with a stunning 63 to set the pace on day one of the 93rd US PGA in Atlanta. The 44-year-old world number five leads by two at seven under from countryman Jerry Kelly with former champion Shaun Micheel four under.

On a dramatic day, Tiger Woods slumped to a seven-over 77, while Rory McIlroy hurt his right wrist in a round of 70. US Open champion McIlroy will assess whether to continue after a scan. In sweltering conditions at Atlanta Athletic Club, Stricker missed a 10ft birdie putt on the last and had to settle for becoming the 25th player to card a 63 in a major.

"I realised it was for 62 but didn't realise it was for history," said Stricker, who is chasing a maiden major title. "It never really registered. I was just trying to make a birdie and never thought about the history of it. I hit a good putt. It just didn't go in."

Stricker began at the 10th and opened with three birdies in a row before adding others at the 260-yard par-three 15th and par-four 18th. He picked up further shots at the first and the fifth to claim the first 63 in a US PGA since Woods in the second round of his 2007 victory at Southern Hills.

"I didn't know what to expect and maybe that was a good thing," said Stricker.

Woods slumped to his worst ever opening round in major history and finished with only 24 of the 156-strong field below him. The former world number one birdied three of his first five holes to share the lead, but then came three double bogeys and five bogeys as he fought to control his swing. McIlroy, meanwhile, struck a tree root with his club on the third and looked on the verge of withdrawing before battling through wrist pain with ice packs and heavy strapping.

The 22-year-old US Open champion was set to have an MRI scan before deciding whether he will compete in Friday's second round. "If it is the same and I know that I'm not going to do any more damage to it, then I'll play," he said.

American Scott Verplank finished in fourth at three under with England's Simon Dyson and Italian 18-year-old Matteo Manassero in a group of eight players on two under. Another Englishman, Brian Davis, ended one under with world number one Luke Donald at level par and second-ranked Lee Westwood one over.

Phil Mickelson also carded 71 for one over, while Open champion Darren Clarke struggled to an eight-over 78.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/golf/14499302.stm

_54558103_54558100.jpg

Rory McIlroy defies wrist injury in US PGA in Atlanta

Rory McIlroy played through the pain of an injured wrist to keep alive his hopes of a second major title of 2011 at the US PGA in Atlanta.

The 22-year-old US Open champion struck a tree root during his second shot on the third hole and dropped his club, grimacing in pain.

McIlroy applied an ice pack and played on, despite wincing after each shot.

He saw a physio on the fifth and had strapping applied on the eighth and again on the 10th as he carded 70.

Afterwards, McIlroy revealed he was heading straight to hospital for an MRI scan to discover the extent of the damage.

McIlroy's drive on the 375-yard par-four third nestled on a root in the left trees but instead of playing out sideways, along the length of the root, he opted to try to hit the ball forward.

"I thought maybe the tree root was a foot in front of the ball and thought if I could make contact with the ball and let the club go I could get away with it," said the Northern Irishman.

"In hindsight I would have been better to chip out sideways and still get a five. But it was a shot where I thought if I took it on and pulled it off it could have saved me a shot.

"It was like a sharp pain up the forearm, I had a little bit of swelling and it was referred in my shoulder.

"The physio said it was my decision [whether to continue]. It's the last major of the year and there's six or seven [actually eight] months to the Masters.

"There were a couple of times I thought about not continuing, but it's a very important tournament and I'm still in the hunt."

After the injury, it seemed likely McIlroy would have to retire but he played on despite the discomfort. He bogeyed the third but parred the short fourth and then got up and down from a bunker for a birdie on the long fifth.

He received a lengthy examination from a physio on the fifth green, eventually opting to continue, and sank a 20ft putt for another birdie at the next to edge to one under.

Another physio appeared to manipulate his wrist on the sixth before strapping was applied on the eighth, following a bogey five.

Parring the ninth for an outward level-par 35, McIlroy had more bandages added before starting the back nine. He spoke to the physio again after a bad drive into the trees on the 10th.

He chipped out onto the 18th fairway, hit his third over the tall pines to 15ft and made the par putt. Another bad drive followed on the long 12th but he hacked out sideways from a depression in the left trees and holed from 15ft for a birdie.

McIlroy bogeyed the short 15th after going left into sand, but hit a glorious approach to four feet on the next and returned to one under. He dropped another shot on the short 17th but boomed a huge drive down the 18th and made a par to finish level par.

"To be honest, considering the amount of times I finished with one hand, I hit some good shots. It was always there in my mind so to shoot even par was a good effort," said McIlroy.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/golf/14500275.stm

_54578763_54578762.jpg

Tiger Woods misses cut in USPGA Championship in Atlanta

Tiger Woods was a shadow of his former self as he missed only his third cut in a major as a professional with a second-round 73 in the US PGA.

The former world number one ended 10 over par to miss the cut by a distance after a day of struggles in Atlanta.

Americans Jason Dufner (65) and Keegan Bradley (64) lead by one at five under from Jim Furyk, DA Points, Scott Verplank, John Senden and Brandt Jobe.

Rory McIlroy defied Thursday's wrist injury to card 73 to end three over.

Overnight leader Steve Stricker slumped to a 74 after his stunning opening 63 to slide back to three under, while England's Lee Westwood (68) was the leading Briton at one under with countrymen Simon Dyson (72) and Ross Fisher (69) level.

Woods amassed a seven-over 77 on Thursday, equalling his second-worst round in a major, and was left needing a score in the mid to high 60s on Friday to have a chance of making the top 70 players and those tied for 70th going into the weekend.

But the 35-year-old cut a forlon figure as he fought with his swing, catching a host of bunkers and struggling with his distance control.

He dropped shots at the fifth and seventh before showing glimmers of hope with back-to-back birdies at eight and nine.

But a two-hole aberration after the turn sealed his fate. He made a double bogey on the 11th after splashing from a bunker through the green and into the water, and then hooked into trees twice on the long 12th to notch another double bogey.

With the chance of making the cut virtually gone, Woods rallied towards the end of his round and picked up shots at the 13th and 15th but found the water again on the 18th to miss the cut by six shots.

The American, now ranked 30th after a four-month injury lay-off, had previously only missed the cut twice in 56 majors as professional, the 2009 Open and 2006 US Open. He has only missed four other cuts as a pro when he has completed 36 holes.

"It's frustration and disappointment that I'm not contending in the tournament," said the 14-time major champion, who has not won any title since his infamous sex scandal broke in November of 2009.

"It's a step back in the sense I didn't make the cut but a giant leap forward in the sense that I played two straight weeks healthy.

"Today I hit the ball a lot better and putted well but I never got to the green soon enough.

"I showed signs I can hit the ball exactly how I know I can, I just didn't do it enough times."

Having failed to qualify for the PGA Tour's end-of-season Fed Ex Cup play-offs, Woods said he will not play again until November and will spend the time working on his game with coach Sean Foley.

Northern Ireland's US Open champion McIlroy was diagnosed with a strained tendon in his right wrist after hitting a tree root in his first round but reappeared with further heavy strapping and carded a round of three birdies, three bogeys and a triple-bogey on the 17th.

"It was probably tougher mentally more than anything else, trying to get it out of your mind," said McIlroy.

Australian Adam Scott, who won the WGC event last week with Woods's former caddie Steve Williams, enjoyed a share of the lead at five under but dumped his second into the water on 18 and dropped back to two under after a 69.

World number one Luke Donald shot 71 to finish one over alongside four-time major champion Phil Mickelson, who also found water on the last to end with a 70.

Defending champion Martin Kaymer, the world number three, carded rounds of 72, 73 to miss the five-over cut alongside Justin Rose and Australian Jason Day. Ernie Els, Martin Laird, Graeme McDowell and Darren Clarke were also among those to miss the cut.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/golf/14512800.stm

_54601191_54601190.jpg

Bradley wins first major at US PGA

American rookie Keegan Bradley beat countryman Jason Dufner in a play-off to win his first major at the US PGA.

The 25-year-old triumphed by one shot in a three-hole showdown after the pair ended tied at eight under in Atlanta.

Bradley earlier triple-bogeyed the 15th to hand Dufner a five-shot lead but kept his nerve as his rival faltered.

Luke Donald and Lee Westwood both halved their six-shot deficits during Sunday's absorbing final round but stumbled late on to end three under. But the world's top two-ranked players were no more than bit players as the unheralded pair of Dufner and Bradley ignited the tournament with some late fireworks.

Bradley, who won his maiden PGA Tour event earlier this year, becomes the first American to clinch a major title since Phil Mickelson won the Masters in 2010. He is also the seventh consecutive first-time major winner and the 13th different winner in the past 13 majors.

And he joins 2003 Open winner Ben Curtis in being the only players since Francis Ouimet at the 1913 US Open to have triumphed on their first appearances at a major.

"I can't believe it, I feel so proud," said Bradley, who is the nephew of LPGA legend Pat Bradley.

Ranked 108th in the world, Bradley went into the final day one shot behind joint overnight leader Dufner and fought back from a shaky start to join his compatriot at the top of the leaderboard on nine under after an eagle on the 12th.

But his challenge seemed to be over after chipping through the green into the water on 15, before back-to-back birdies on 16 and 17 kept him in the hunt.

The 34-year-old Dufner, still chasing a first PGA Tour win, had stretched clear with four birdies in 13 holes, but his tee shot into the water on 15 sparked his demise. He bogeyed the 15th, 16th and 17th to drop back alongside Bradley, with Denmark's Anders Hansen finishing one shot back after a 66.

In the play-off, Bradley birdied the first hole, the 16th, to Dufner's par and then made par on the short 17th as his rival dropped a shot. Dufner birdied the 18th but Bradley's par was enough to hand him the Wanamaker Trophy.

"I don't feel like I was nervous," said Dufner, who lost in a play-off for the Phoenix Open this year. "I knew what was at stake. I was confident with my game but just didn't quite execute a couple of shots coming in. Those are tough holes, but it was disappointing. There's a lot to be learnt from this."

World number one Donald was four under for his round through 12 holes but caught the water off the 15th tee to effectively scupper his chances. Another bogey on the 18th sealed the 33-year-old's fate as the leaders stretched clear.

"It was a missed opportunity again," said Donald, who carded 68 to end tied eighth with Westwood. "At the beginning of the day I thought if I could get to six or seven under I might have a chance.

"At four under through 12 and still being three back I thought I had to press a bit and take on some pins.

"I took a tighter line than I normally would on 15 but I just hit a poor shot. I didn't strike it well enough."

The 38-year-old Westwood will also have to wait until next year for the chance to break his major duck.

The Englishman had also crept to four under for the day with birdies at the eighth, 10th and 12th, but was unable to make further inroads and found the water on the 18th to end with a bogey for a 68.

"I played lovely again. It's just one of those things," said Westwood, who has had five top-three finishes in his last nine majors.

"I have enjoyed playing great for a long time now, but unfortunately when I turn up to majors and I don't win it's a disappointing week for everybody it seems - and obviously for me."

American David Toms, who won the US PGA at the Atlanta Athletic Club 10 years ago, shot 67 to end tied fourth on five under with countryman Scott Verplank (70) and Sweden's Robert Karlsson (67).

Australian Adam Scott, who won last week's WGC event, was another stroke back after a 68, while US Open champion Rory McIlroy took 74 to end 11 over.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/golf/14524821.stm

• 2 months later...

_56494970_56494967.jpg

Tiger Woods's former caddie apologises over race remarks

Tiger Woods's former caddie Steve Williams has apologised to his ex-boss for comments which he admitted could be "construed as racist".

Williams, sacked by Woods in July, was speaking at an awards dinner in China.

He later said: "I now realise how my comments could be construed as racist. That was not my intent. I apologise to Tiger and anyone else I have offended."

Woods's manager Mark Steinberg said: "It's a regrettable comment and there is nothing that Tiger can do or say."

Steinberg, who is with Woods in Australia as the former world number one prepares for the Presidents' Cup later this month, added: "We got multiple calls from people who sounded like they were leaving the caddie party.

"Tiger obviously wasn't there. He doesn't know exactly what was said. But if multiple reports - which all seem to be accurate - are true, then it's sad it's come down to this."

Williams, who now carries Adam Scott's bag, made the comments at the annual caddies' award dinner in Shanghai on Friday.

The duo are in Shanghai for the WGC Champions event and, after finishing his third round on Saturday, Scott defended his caddie.

The Australian pointed out that the comments were made at a private party and were not meant to leave the room. He added that Williams's apology should be accepted.

"Steve issued a statement and apologised and did the right thing," said Scott. "That's all there is to say from my side of things. He did the right thing and it is not an issue for me.

"I disagree that he should be sacked. I think everything in that room was all in good spirits and bit of fun and I think it probably got taken out of that room in the wrong context.

"Anything with Tiger involved is a story, but I value Steve's contribution to my game and, while he is caddying, I hope he can caddy for me."

When asked if he thought Williams was a racist, Scott replied: "I think we all know that's not the case."

Williams caddied for Woods from 1999 until earlier this year and shared in 13 of the former world number one's 14 major victories. It is estimated he earned $12m (£7.5m) working for Woods.

After the pair split the New Zealander teamed up with Scott and the pair won the WGC Invitational in Akron in August.

Williams won the tournament seven times with Woods but after the victory with Scott, he said: "It's the greatest week of my life caddying - and I sincerely mean that.

"It's the most satisfying win I've ever had, there's no two ways about it."

He was awarded a lighthearted accolade for "the best celebration of the year" at Friday's awards dinner and it was when he was asked to elaborate on that celebration that Williams made the comment.

Caddies, players and officials attended the event at the Shanghai hotel which is serving as the base for the WGC Champions tournament.

Williams added in a statement on his website: "Players and caddies look forward to this evening all year and the spirit is always joking and fun."

Responding on behalf of the HSBC Champions tournament, spokeswoman Michele Mair said: "This was a private function. There will not be any further comment on this matter."

Scott and Woods are scheduled to play in next week's Australian Open and it was expected they would be paired together for the first two rounds.

They are also scheduled to be on opposite sides in the Presidents' Cup at Royal Melbourne the following week.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/golf/15605113.stm

• 2 weeks later...

_56682454_chalmers.jpg

Chalmers beat a field comprising eight of the world's top 20 players

Australian Open: Greg Chalmers survives Tiger Woods fightback

Local boy Greg Chalmers survived a fine late run by Tiger Woods to win his second Australian Open.

The 38-year-old, who first won the title in 1998, carded a three-under final round of 69 to finish 13 under, one and two shots clear of compatriot John Senden and Woods respectively.

Woods recorded an eagle and five birdies in a fine 67 as he battled back from a third-round 75.

Victory at The Lakes would have been a first for Woods in nearly two years. Woods, 35, said: "A couple of drives on the back nine cost me. I fought real hard all day but I've come up just short.

"I'm just going to keep plugging along. It's just nice to be playing and not on the sidelines."

Western Australia-based world number 215 Chalmers started the day with birdies on his first two holes and held at least a share of the lead for the remainder of his round.

The left-hander stuttered with two bogeys before the turn but he sandwiched a birdie between them and two more in a flawless back nine which put him in the clubhouse with a two-shot lead.

Chalmers said he had spotted Woods moving up the leaderboard and heard the roar ahead of him when the American chipped in for an eagle at the 14th.

"I was aware of what Tiger was doing but I also knew I had birdie holes coming up," he said. "I thought he would have to make another eagle or birdie one of the harder holes."

Senden made a calamitous start with four bogeys in his first seven holes and his hopes of a second title to go along with his 2006 triumph looked all but gone at the turn.

But he stormed back with four birdies over the back nine, and having missed his putt on the final green by inches, finished with a 72.

Defending champion Geoff Ogilvy shot the best round of the day with a 65 to take a share of fourth place on nine under with compatriots Adam Scott (68), Jason Day (74) and Nick O'Hern (72), as well as American Nick Watney (72).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/golf/15710646.stm

• 4 months later...

_59287802_woodsy.jpg

PREVIEW-Golf-Rejuvenated Tiger stirs up Masters interest

(Reuters) - The perennial allure of the Masters, which takes place from April 5-8 at Augusta National, has been ratcheted up several notches following Tiger Woods' long awaited victory at the Arnold Palmer Invitational on Sunday.

The former world number one ended a 30-month title drought on the PGA Tour with his five-shot triumph at Bay Hill, signaling he is back to vintage form at the best possible time.

Always eagerly anticipated as the first of the year's four majors, the 76th Masters has whetted the appetite of fans and players alike perhaps more than ever before because of its rich promise.

Golf's leading exponents strive to peak for each of the sport's blue riband events and, with Woods now back in the winner's circle, all the signs indicate next week's edition could be the most competitive yet. A rejuvenated Woods will be hunting his fifth green jacket at a venue where he has always felt extremely comfortable, as has fellow American Phil Mickelson who will be bidding for his fourth victory there amid the spectacular Georgian pines.

U.S. Open champion Rory McIlroy of Northern Ireland, now a major winner, will be seeking redemption 12 months after a nightmarish final-round meltdown in which he squandered a four-shot overnight lead with a closing 80. World number one Luke Donald and fellow Briton Lee Westwood, who have become regular contenders in the game's biggest events, will each be chasing a first major title, as will Australians Adam Scott and Jason Day, joint runners-up last year.

The list of potential winners next week does not stop there.

Veterans such as Steve Stricker and Jim Furyk, PGA Tour winners like Hunter Mahan, Brandt Snedeker and Justin Rose, plus a host of younger guns led by Rickie Fowler and Ryo Ishikawa, are all capable of flourishing at Augusta. Hardly surprisingly, though, Woods has been installed as a 4-1 favourite by British bookmakers Ladbrokes to win his 15th major title next week.

"He's always a force to be reckoned with when he's not playing his best golf, and obviously he's playing a lot of good golf right now," Britain's Ian Poulter told reporters. "He's got a lot of his game back and once he starts rolling putts in, he's dangerous so he's going to be a force for everybody at Augusta."

Woods could hardly pick a venue where he feels more at home, given the relative lack of rough and its slick, heavily contoured greens which place a premium on a razor-sharp short game. He is ideally suited to the par-72 layout, which was stretched to a formidable 7,445 yards for the 2006 Masters, making it the second-longest course in major golf at the time.

Woods still ranks among the longest hitters, has a superbly creative short game and tied for fourth in his last two starts at Augusta despite his well publicised problems. "Hopefully everything comes together for that one week," Woods said after clinching his 72nd PGA Tour victory. "I understand how to play Augusta, and it's just a matter of executing the game plan."

Left-hander Mickelson, Masters champion in 2004, 2006 and 2010, is rated at 10-1, generous odds for a player who very nearly won consecutive titles on the PGA Tour this season. He upstaged playing partner Woods as he charged to a two-shot victory at last month's Pebble Beach National Pro-Am, then lost out to compatriot Bill Haas in a three-way playoff for the Northern Trust Open the following week.

Just like Woods, short game magician Mickelson has always loved playing at Augusta where accurate driving ranks relatively low on the "must-do-well" recipe for success. "I just have this ease going to Augusta, because you don't have to be perfect there," said the Californian. "You can make mistakes. You can make some loose swings and still have a shot to get close to the green and let my short game make par."

South African Charl Schwartzel will defend the title he won by two strokes last year when he became the first champion to birdie the last four holes. "That was something very special," he said. "The biggest challenge for me this year is that there are going to be more eyes on me, people wanting to see whether I can live up to the challenge. That's something I have to get in my head not to worry about. I have to go out there and treat it as a new tournament."

rory_1481325a.jpg

I’ll Master my Augusta demons

RORY McILROY went back to Augusta early to confront his Masters demons — and to seek out a perfect 10.

The US Open champion admits the main reason for throwing in a few extra practice rounds was so he could banish the nightmare memories of his back-nine meltdown last year. It all started to go wrong for McIlroy when he surrendered the final-round lead with a triple-bogey seven on the 10th.

He does not want to take any baggage from that train wreck into next week's Masters, so he decided to revisit the scene away from the glare of publicity.

The Northern Ireland star said: "I knew there were bound to be difficult emotions to deal with when I went back. I realised that when I stepped on to the 10th tee the memories would come flooding back — you wouldn't be human if that didn't happen. So it's not a bad thing to go there early and get that stuff out of the way, so you can concentrate on the event. But it wasn't just the 10th and the stuff that followed it — messing up through Amen Corner and finishing up signing for an 80. The whole of Sunday felt different to the first three rounds. I was trying to be this person that I wasn't — sort of ultra-focused, tunnel vision, whatever you want to call it. I hit a great shot off the first and had a little wedge into the first green and I remember on the top of my backswing and on the way down, I said to myself: 'Don't go left'. That was the first real tentative swing I had made the whole week. That was when I felt it was completely different from the first three days."

But McIlroy, 22, insists he learned a lot about himself as he slipped from first to a share of 15th place — and he proved it by romping to victory in the US Open two months later. He added: "There is obviously a lot to take in from last year. There were a lot of plusses to be taken as well as the hard lessons. For 63 holes, I led the tournament. It was just those last nine holes that everyone concentrated on — but not me. I learned a lot about myself. I learned how to control my emotions better. I learned what works for me best whenever I get into situations like that. I was able to put that right a couple of months later when I won the US Open. It is not like I have not learned from it. So it would just be great to put myself in that position again and challenge myself to see if I am up to the test this time."

Many people, including the bookies, see this year's Masters as a shootout between McIlroy and Tiger Woods. But Supermac revealed he did not even bother watching TV last week as Woods ended a three-year drought on the US Tour by winning the Arnold Palmer Invitational by five shots.

The Ulster ace preferred to chill out with his parents at the home he has been renting in Florida. He explained: "To be honest I didn't watch any of the golf last weekend. But I saw Tiger won by a few shots so he must have played really well. It's great for the game and very exciting for Augusta. But for me personally, it doesn't do anything. I have to concentrate on myself, 100 per cent. It's not just about a couple of guys — there are a hundred or so guys in the field."

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/golf/4230420/Rory-McIlroy-Ill-Master-my-Augusta-meltdown-demons.html

_59527721_59527699.jpg

Westwood secures Masters lead

Lee Westwood left the rest of the big names trailing as he surged in front after a difficult first day of the Masters.

England's world number three fired a five-under-par 67 to lead by one from 2010 Open champion Louis Oosthuizen and Ryder Cup team-mate Peter Hanson of Sweden at Augusta. Another former Open champion, Paul Lawrie of Scotland, shot 69 to share third with Spain's Miguel Angel Jimenez, Italian Francesco Molinari and Americans Ben Crane, Jason Dufner and Bubba Watson.

Rory McIlroy carded a 71, Tiger Woods 72, and Phil Mickelson 74 but Luke Donald escaped a possible disqualification after a scorecard error was eventually blamed on an administrative hiccup.

Donald shot 75 but 73 appeared on official scoreboards and it seemed for a spell that the world number one would be disqualified for signing for a wrong score.

After an investigation, Augusta officials blamed the discrepancy on a fax machine smudging the number five for his bogey on the fifth, leading to a three being inputted into the scoring system.

As the rest of the fancied "big five" - Woods, McIlroy, Donald and Mickelson - appeared to be struggling, and with mud sticking to balls from the soft conditions and tough first-day pin positions, Westwood edged ahead in imperious fashion.

The 38-year-old, who led the Masters after the third round in 2010 but was eclipsed by Mickelson's brilliance in the final round, went out in 32 with a run of four birdies from the fifth. He dropped a shot at the 10th but got it back on the long 13th and grabbed a final birdie on the 17th.

"There was no weakness out there in my game," said Westwood, who tied his lowest round at the Masters. "I hit it close, hit a lot of fairways and rolled in some nice putts.

"I've been playing well all year so I was pretty confident. But trying not to let myself get carried away. I just wanted to come out and start steady and strong and play my way into the tournament, which I've done."

Four-time champion Woods, who was the favourite coming in after a recent win on the PGA Tour, blamed some old habits creeping into his new-look swing as errant drives on the second and 18th needed drops from unplayable lies.

"I hit some of the worst golf swings I've ever hit today, and that's all right," said the world number seven, who won the last of his 14 majors in 2008. "I just hung in there and grinded my way around the golf course and stayed very patient, stayed in the moment. I got a lot out of that round."

McIlroy, 22, looking to atone for last year's final-round collapse when leading by four, began ominously with a double-bogey six. The US Open champion fought back to one under by nine, but on the 10th, the hole that sparked his trouble last year, he drove off the fairway on the right after overcompensating for the left-hand trees that caught his ball 12 months ago.

Though he rescued a par, he bogeyed the 11th and found the creek in front of the 13th green in two and ran up a bogey six. But he birdied 17 and 18 to end the day one under.

"I'm a lot more pleased coming off the golf course than if I had finished par and to come off under-par is pleasing," said the Northern Irishman.

"My perseverance and patience paid off and it was nice to finish as I did, but I'm surprised someone didn't go lower than five today."

Mickelson went out in 37 and then lost a ball in the left trees on the 10th and ran up a triple-bogey seven. But he clawed the shots back at the 13th, 15th and 18th to end two over. "I missed the ball in the wrong spot, my short game didn't save me, I hit a bad drive on 10, but I'm only two over. I'm excited about that."

Before his scorecard scare a disappointed Donald confessed to struggling with his irons.

"I almost wanted it to start last weekend because I was hitting it so nicely," he said. Maybe I peaked a couple of days too early."

South African Oosthuizen, whose best friend Charl Schwartzel is the defending champion, virtually emulated his countryman's winning finish with four birdies in his last five holes (Schwartzel birdied the last four to win).

Lawrie, who won the Open at Carnoustie in 1999, held the early lead at four after an eagle on the 13th, another at the 15th and a birdie at the 17th before dropping back with a bogey to finish.

Sweden's Henrik Stenson was leading on six under after 15 but ran up a quadruple-bogey eight on 18 and ended one under.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/golf/17634493

Lucky No 53?

Those who study the smallest details for portentous signs will tell you that the last three winners of the Masters to finish on Easter Sunday had caddies wearing the No 53 bib.

And who should have that number this year? Billy Foster, who works for Lee Westwood...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/golf/article-2125867/MASTERS-2012-Lee-Westwood-leads-Augusta.html#ixzz1rFr3mBir

Couples & Dufner lead at Augusta

American veteran Fred Couples and countryman Jason Dufner lead the Masters with Rory McIlroy and Lee Westwood one shot back after an absorbing second round at Augusta.

The 52-year-old Couples, the 1992 champion, shot 67 to join Dufner (70) on five under to head a group that also includes Sergio Garcia (68), former Open champion Louis Oosthuizen (72) and Bubba Watson (71).

First-round leader Westwood slipped to a one-over 73, while McIlroy inched closer with a 69.

Tiger Woods appeared in danger of unravelling as he sought to control his swing and ended with a 75 for three over, but Phil Mickelson gave chase with a 68 to climb to two under. World number one Luke Donald flirted with the cut but carded 73 to head into the weekend at four over.

Sixty-three players made the cut, which came at five over, with only Westwood and McIlroy from the world's top 10 in the first 26 places on the leaderboard.

On a day that began overcast, chilly and breezy and ended in sunshine it was Couples' early 67 that stole the show.

The course specialist, who led with a first-round 66 two years ago, began his run with three straight birdies from the seventh before picking up further shots at 15 and 17.

"You know, I've said it for 28 years, this is my favourite golf tournament in the world," said Couples, who finished tied third in 2006 and tied second in 1998.

"The game plan was not try to do a whole lot of crazy things, just hit the ball solid, and I ended up shooting a lot lower than I thought. Five under was an incredible round."

The laid-back American is the oldest player to lead the Masters at halfway, beating Lee Trevino who was 49 when he jointly led with Nick Faldo in 1989.

Jack Nicklaus is the tournament's oldest ever winner at 46 in 1986, while 48-year-old Julius Boros is the oldest winner of any major. Westwood reached six under after a birdie on the 15th and was leading going down 18 but a double bogey at the last dropped him back, while Dufner, the 2011 US PGA runner-up, was also six under before a bogey at the last.

"It was a disappointing way to finish," said Westwood. "If you get out of position on this course it can punish you, but these things will happen to everybody.

"I thought I made a few putts that did not drop but I'm right in there for the weekend and that's where I want to be."

US Open champion McIlroy put himself in an ideal position going into the weekend after getting up-and-down for a crucial par at the last.

"I drove the ball better. That was the big thing," he said.

"I think the whole round on Thursday was important to me; to not let the start get to me, and those two birdies at the end really gave me some momentum going into [today]. And to sort of stay patient and hang in there, I felt like I did that pretty well."

Woods was a shadow of the player who won the Arnold Palmer Invitational at Bay Hill a few weeks ago - let alone a 14-time major champion - as he wrestled to contol the new swing he is working on with coach Sean Foley. The four-time champion pulled a succession of drives and cut a dejected figure as he struggled with his irons and missed a host of short putts.

The 36-year-old began brightly enough with two birdies in his first three holes but then bogeyed both the par threes on the front nine as well as the ninth for an outward 37. He failed to birdie any of the four par fives, and bogeys at the 11th and short 16th, where he almost hit back into the water from the bunker, cost him a 38 coming home.

"I didn't quite have it with my swing and unfortunately I had to hang in there and be patient," said Woods, who won his last Masters in 2005. "I didn't play the par threes very well or the par fives but if I just clean up those I'll be under par.

"One of the neat things about this tournament is the 10-shot rule [those within 10 shots of the lead make the cut]. Anyone can still win the tournament if they make the cut. I just need to cut the deficit down with a solid round and get off to a quick start on Sunday like I did last year."

Three-time champion Mickelson birdied the last for the second day running and is optimistic for the weekend. "I played well and shot something in the 60s that got me back in the tournament," he said. "I was hoping for one or two more under, but that birdie on 18 felt terrific to finish that way. And to be only three back now heading into the weekend feels great, too. Especially after the first 10 holes yesterday."

Oosthuizen dropped from four under to one under and then climbed back up with birdies on 15, 16 and 17 to end where he began, while Garcia shot his best score for 12 rounds at the Masters as he looks to improve on a best finish of tied fourth in 2004.

"I'm just delighted to be in a pretty good position at the moment," said the 32-year-old, who last won in America in 2008 and has struggled for several years. "I wish I could tell you I'm ready to win, but I really don't know."

Scotland's Paul Lawrie began three under but was back to level par by the 15th before birdieing the last three holes to end in a group on three under.

Paul Casey (+7), Darren Clarke (+10), Ian Woosnam (+10), Simon Dyson (+11) and Sandy Lyle (+20) were among those to miss the cut. Australian Jason Day, who was joint runner up with countryman Adam Scott last year, pulled out with a recurrence of an ankle injury.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/golf/17642554

_59548841_mmgolfmastershansonday3.jpg

Masters 2012: Peter Hanson leads from Phil Mickelson at Augusta

Sweden's Peter Hanson made a late surge to take a one-shot lead over Phil Mickelson into the final round of the Masters on Sunday.

The 34-year-old soared to nine under with a stunning 65, the best round of the week, as he seeks his maiden major title in only his second appearance at Augusta.

Mickelson, 41, fired a back nine of 30 for a 66 to join Hanson in the final group as he pursues a fourth Green Jacket in nine years.

South Africa's 2010 Open champion Louis Oosthuizen (69) is one adrift with Americans Bubba Watson (70) and Matt Kuchar (70) six and five under respectively. England's Lee Westwood (72) is in a group on four under alongside America's Hunter Mahan (68), Ireland's Padraig Harrington (68) and Sweden's Henrik Stenson (70).

Tiger Woods will begin the final round 12 shots back after treading water at three over with a level-par 72.

Rory McIlroy slumped to a 77 to end one over and world number one Luke Donald took 75 to end seven over.

Halfway leaders Fred Couples and Jason Dufner fell away on Saturday with rounds of 75 to end two under in a goup which includes England's Ian Poulter, who carded 70. Scot Paul Lawrie has sole possession of 10th place on three under after a 72.

Eight players held at least a share of the lead at some stage on an absorbing day in the Augusta sun.

Despite favourable scoring conditions, no-one was able to escape from the pack until Mickelson sank a 25ft eagle putt on the 13th to join Kuchar and Oosthuizen in the lead at six under.

That seemed to inspire Hanson, who was playing up the 14th, and the 2010 European Ryder Cup player made four birdies in his last four holes.

Mickelson, who made his first birdie at the 10th and added another at the short 12th, was energised, too.

He fired further birdies at the par-five 15th, courtesy of an outrageous, high-risk high pitch from off the green to a few feet, and a birdie for a third day in a row at 18 after hooking his second shot around trees onto the green. Mickelson credited Thursday's fightback from four over after 10 holes to end with a two-over 74 as the foundation for his bid to equal Woods and Arnold Palmer's record at Augusta.

"When I look back at this tournament I'll look at Thursday," said the Californian, who has won all of his previous four major titles from the last pair.

"At some point I'm going to get hot here but I've got to be in a position to move up the leaderboard, not just get into the weekend. The way I fought back Thursday made that possible."

"It's going to be tough. It's a new situation to me," said the Swede, who lost 4&2 to Mickelson in the 2010 Ryder Cup singles at Celtic Manor.

"I'll try to do the normal stuff. I've got my two kids here and my wife, so just try to stay in the house and cook in, and like I said, I probably won't be watching a lot of Golf Channel or stuff. Just trying to stay away from all that and try to get as much sleep as I can and try to be ready."

Oosthuizen, who has struggled with injury since his Open triumph at St Andrews, joined Mickelson on eight under on the 17th but a wayward approach into the crowd handed it back on 18. Four-time champion Woods, who apologised for Friday's club-throwing and kicking histrionics after struggling with his swing, looked briefly back on track and set to make a charge similar to his final-day assault last year.

He fired birdies at the par-four third and the short fourth but soon dropped a shot at the par-three sixth courtesy of a three putt and again at the par-five eighth and was unable to take advantage of any of the holes coming in.

"It's so frustrating because I am so close to putting it together," said the former world number one. "I unfortunately did not play the par fives very well. I just didn't take care of the opportunities when I had them.

"I would just hit a couple of good shots in a row and compound the problem with a bad shot in the wrong spot."

McIlroy began the day one back and looking to atone for a final-round 80 last year, but he went out in 42.

The 22-year-old and playing partner Sergio Garcia, who shot 75 to end one under, acknowledged their shared struggles with a hug on the 12th green after both making their first birdies of the round.

"It was a congratulatory hug," said McIlroy. "We couldn't feed off each other's good energy because there wasn't any," added Garcia. "Our bad holes were really bad and our good holes were bad."

Westwood, who was second to Mickelson in 2010, birdied the second to edge to five under for a share of the lead but dropped back to two under after 13 before clawing his wasy back into a tie for sixth with birdies at 14 and 15.

Hanson and Mickelson will go out in the final group at 1440 (1940 BST) on Sunday as the 76th Masters nears its conclusion.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/golf/17648927

I'm not quite annoyed by the medias build-up of the initial prospect of McIlroy vs Woods (Though I knew that wouldn't happen) but more annoyed by the shock that both competitors have fallen away, since when has a competition as tough as Augusta been in any way predictable?

They were getting odds of ~ 9/2 to win before the tournament began, really crap odds given that there is some excellent quality amongst the rest of the field in golf these days.

Even Peter Hanson to win NOW in comparison is a similar bet at 4/1 :lol:

It reminds me of the Gold Cup a few weeks ago when it was billed as the Kauto Star / Long Run content, Kauto Star was pulled up after just 4 fences and Long Run came a distant third behind a 50/1 shot!

There is just no point matching people up before a major, its anybodys and rightly so.