🌙 COLDPLAY ANNOUNCE MOON MUSIC OUT OCTOBER 4TH 🎵

Golf - Latest: US PGA Championship, Oak Hill Country Club, Rochester, New York (8-11 August)

Sternly

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bubba1x-inset-community.jpg

Masters 2012: Bubba Watson savours Augusta victory

Masters champion Bubba Watson said he had never even dreamed of winning the tournament following his dramatic play-off victory over Louis Oosthuizen.

American Watson, 33, beat his South African rival on the second extra hole to secure his first major title. "I've never had a dream go this far, so I can't really say it's a dream come true," said the unorthodox left-hander, who has never had a lesson. "I dreamed about it. I just never made the putt. As a golfer, this is Mecca."

Watson, who became the eighth consecutive first-time major winner, added: "This is what we strive for, to put on the Green Jacket, to win golf tournaments. "I don't even know what happened on the back nine. I know I made bogey on 12 and then I birdied four holes in a row. Nervous on every shot, every putt. Went into a play-off. I got in these trees and hit a crazy shot that I saw in my head, and somehow I'm here talking to you with a Green Jacket on."

Watson, playing alongside Oosthuizen in the penultimate group, fired four birdies in a row from the 13th to join the 2010 Open champion on 10 under, but missed a birdie putt to win in regulation. Having both parred the first extra hole, Watson, who lost a play-off for the PGA Championship in 2010, looked to be in trouble when he found trees off the 10th tee.

But while Oosthuizen was unable to find the putting surface with his second, Watson pulled out an extravagant hook to find the centre of the green. "The first time I ever worked with my caddie, Boston, six years ago, I told him, 'if I have a swing, I've got a shot'," said Watson, who recently adopted a baby boy with wife Angie. "So I'm used to the woods. I'm used to the rough. We were walking down and I said, 'we were here already. We hit it close here already today', because I was in those trees. I got there. I saw it was a perfect draw, a perfect hook."

Oosthuizen's chip ran to the back of the green and he took two more to get down for a bogey, leaving Watson with two putts for the title.

"As of less than two years ago, I didn't have a win," he said. "Now I've got four. My goal, my dream has always been to have 10 wins. This is a step in the right direction. This is what everybody strives to do. No matter how much you want to live your life other ways, this is an honour, a special privilege, to put the Green Jacket on.

"I watched it as a kid, watched it growing up. At the University of Georgia, we talked about this tournament."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/golf/17655173

• 2 months later...

_60889459_60889458.jpg

Unpredictable Olympic Club set for US Open test

Predicting major winners has become a very unpredictable business.

Throw in a course known as the "graveyard of legends" and the identity of the 112th US Open champion becomes as foggy as a San Francisco summer's day.

The Olympic Club, just south of the Golden Gate Bridge, hosts the year's second major with the potential for a 15th different winner in the last 15 of golf's big four tournaments, stretching back to Padraig Harrington's Open and US PGA double in 2008.

You have to go back to Lee Janzen's US Open triumph at, appropriately, Olympic Club in 1998 to find a similar streak without a repeat winner, a run that started with Nick Price's US PGA win in 1994. Another run waiting to be halted in "San Fran" this week, is that of eight successive majors with first-time winners, beginning with Graeme McDowell's US Open victory down the Californian coast at Pebble Beach in 2010. Plus, six of the last seven US Opens have been won by players clinching their first - and, for five of them, only - major title.

The Olympic Club's reputation for throwing up funky winners further clouds the issue. Unheralded Jack Fleck beat the great Ben Hogan in an 18-hole play-off in 1955; Arnold Palmer lost a seven-shot lead with nine holes to go as Billy Casper won in 1966; Scott Simpson pipped Tom Watson by a shot in 1987; and Payne Stewart squandered a four-stroke third-round lead to let in Janzen in 1998.

"In some ways you think, geez, you remember more about who didn't win - what great legend didn't win an Open here - versus who did win," said Mike Davis, executive director of US Open organisers the United States Golf Association (USGA). "There is something magical about it."

Olympic's roll of honour might be against them but the game's big names have their own motivation this week. Tiger Woods is back in form and striving to get his scoreboard ticking again, four years after his last major title - the 2008 US Open at Torrey Pines. Phil Mickelson continues to chase a first US Open victory after five runner-up spots. England - with Luke Donald and Lee Westwood ranked first and third in the world - is still without a major champion since 1996 and a US Open winner since 1970. Then there's Rory McIlroy, bidding to become the first back-to-back winner since Curtis Strange in 1988 and 1989. Not only that, of course, he would become the third Northern Irish US Open champion in a row and take NI's tally to four majors in two years.

US Opens are noted for the difficulty of courses, traditionally featuring tight fairways, thick rough and fast greens. The USGA is also renowned for the difficulty of its set-ups, with courses often bordering on unplayable - which is either unfair or a great test of golf, depending on your point of view.

McIlroy's record-breaking 16-under total of 268 to win at Congressional last year, breaking Woods's previous finishing mark by four shots, was blamed on a rain-softened course in Maryland. "Do we shoot for even par to win? No," said Davis. "But at the US Open, par should be a good score. We genuinely want the US Open to be the toughest test of the year. It didn't happen last year. I would say most of that was caused by Mother Nature."

The Olympic Club's Lake Course will play firm and fast this week, with little sign of rain. The hilly, heavily tree-lined venue, with small greens and tricky, reverse-camber fairways will also be exposed to Pacific winds and threatened by the city's famous fog. According to Davis, the cold, moist air at sea level means it will play longer than the modest 7,170 yards (par 70) the scorecard suggests. And that's not taking into account the 520-yard par-four first and the longest par five in major history, the 670-yard 16th.

Not that it should be a factor, but the course is also right on top of the San Andreas fault, which might be handy for putts hanging over the lip. "I am convinced that this will be the hardest start in a US Open," added Davis. "The first six holes are going to just be brutal. I would contend if you play the first six holes two over, I don't think you're giving up anything to the field."

McIlroy says attack is the best form of defence and hopes the birdies outnumber the bogeys. Masters champion Bubba Watson reckons there is an 80 lurking for him. Donald is relishing the need for a predominant left-to-right fade for a right-hander.

Woods, who played Olympic plenty of times while at college at nearby Stanford, is well aware of the challenge ahead.

"You have to curve it more off the tees here than any other golf course that we play," said the three-time US Open champion. "You've got right-to-left slopes of fairways and greens, and you have to cut it, so you're going against the grain. We have to hit the ball high. We have to hit the ball low. Our short game's got to be dialled in. But I've always preferred it to be more difficult, there's no doubt. And I've always preferred it to be fast."

The graveyard of legends is about to come alive. But then again, even that is not guaranteed at Olympic.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robhodgetts/2012/06/unpredictable_olympic_set_to_t.html

_60882748_60864032.jpg

Luke Donald

US Open: top 10 contenders

Golf's elite players reconvene for the year's second major on Thursday when the 112th US Open begins in San Francisco.

The Olympic Club has a reputation for surprise winners, but the game's big names will be looking to change all that. BBC Sport assesses a selection of contenders for the title.

Luke Donald, 34, England, Best US Open finish: Tied 12th, 2006

Has developed an uncanny ability to deliver when it matters - either to clinch the world number one spot or to capture the money lists on either side of the Atlantic. Just not to win a major. Successful PGA Championship defence at Wentworth for sixth win in 15 months is further proof he has become a formidable finisher. Cool temperament and killer short game the key. A major is all that is missing, though the US Open has not been a happy hunting ground in the past.

Jason Dufner, 35, United States, T33 2010

On the evidence of the last few months, the American must be rated as one of the hottest players in golf, with two wins (his first on the PGA Tour) and a second place in his last four events. Was co-leader with Fred Couples at halfway in the Masters in April and lost to Keegan Bradley in a play-off for the US PGA Championship last year.

Rickie Fowler, 23, United States, T60 2008

A growing force in the game, or a bit flaky? Beat Rory McIlroy in a play-off for his first PGA Tour title in early May, was second the following week at the Players Championship and fifth the week after that. Throw in, too, a creditable tied fifth in the wind and rain of the Open at Royal St George's last summer. But a final-round 84 alongside Tiger Woods in the penultimate group at Memorial gives ammunition to the doubters.

Dustin Johnson, 27, United States, T8 2010

The big-hitter looks to be back as a force to be reckoned with after winning in Memphis on Sunday in only his second event since returning from 11 weeks out with a back injury caused by lifting a jet ski off a trailer. Has acquired plenty of experience at the sharp end of majors - led the 2010 US Open by three shots going into the final round but crashed to an 82; missed out on a play-off for the 2010 US PGA after incurring a two-shot penalty for grounding his club in a bunker on the 18th; and played in final group with Darren Clarke at the Open last summer, finishing in a tie for second.

Matt Kuchar, 33, United States, T6 2010

Landed a big one at the prestigious Players Championship in May, and while he has still to win a major, the four-time PGA Tour winner was tied third at the Masters this year. In all, five top 10s on the PGA Tour this term. In contention as an amateur at the 1998 US Open at Olympic Club and has flourished in the last three years to return as the world number six.

Rory McIlroy, 23, Northern Ireland, Won 2011

Shattered all sorts of scoring records when he won at a canter at a rain-softened Congressional last year to become the youngest US Open winner since Bobby Jones in 1923. Rose to world number one for the first time with victory at the Honda Classic in March, and has traded the top spot since with current incumbent Luke Donald. Despite the pre-tournament hype, the Masters was a disappointment and three straight missed cuts recently suggested all was not well. But he went close in Memphis last weekend to revive the confidence that has brought four other top threes around the world this season.

Phil Mickelson, 41, United States, 2nd 1999, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2009

The perennial US Open bridesmaid. There is no-one the US Open crowd, especially in his native California, would like to win more than the popular left-hander. Won down the coast at Pebble Beach earlier this year and was third at the Masters, but a first-round 79, followed by an uncharacteristic withdrawal from the Memorial Tournament citing "mental fatigue" (despite having been on holiday in Europe) may have blotted his copy book.

Bubba Watson, 33, United States, T5 2007

The quirky left-hander with the pink driver wowed golf fans with his Masters victory. His unorthodox game might suit the Olympic Club - he rarely sees a straight shot, and shapes the ball both ways as a matter of course. A common sight near the top of PGA Tour leaderboards and ranked fifth in world, but has only played twice since Augusta, missing the cut at Memorial. Signs suggest he is yet to refocus, especially given the pull of a newly adopted baby son at home.

Lee Westwood, 39, T3 2011, 2008

Slightly under the radar - if that's possible for a world number three - amid all the clamour surrounding McIlroy, Donald and Tiger Woods. Battling Old Father Time in the quest for a first major but still got a game ideally suited to the US Open - long, straight driving and accurate iron play. Putting always been the weak link in his game, though. Tied third last year, albeit 10 shots behind McIlroy, and one shot off a play-off in 2008. Also top 10 at Olympic in 1998. Won in Sweden on Sunday with a new set of clubs.

Tiger Woods, 36, United States, Won 2000, 2002, 2008

The Memorial win, and Bay Hill before that, confirmed Woods's new swing is seriously to be reckoned with - when it works. It let him down at the Masters but was impressive at Jack Nicklaus's event in Ohio. If he can produce some more magic like the chip in on the 16th en route to victory at Muirfield Village, to go with his trademark fighting spirit, he will be a very real contender to burst the dam that has kept him on 14 majors since 2008.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/golf/18418182

_60924690_60924688.jpg

Tiger Woods in US Open hunt as Thompson leads at Olympic

Tiger Woods launched his bid for a 15th major title in impressive fashion as he took a share of second place in testing conditions on day one of the US Open.

Woods's one-under 69 was only eclipsed by a stunning 66 from fellow American Michael Thompson but the former world number one looked in ominous form.

Justin Rose, Graeme McDowell, David Toms and Nick Watney were also at one under but some big names struggled.

Phil Mickelson carded 76, Rory McIlroy shot 77 and Luke Donald took 79.

World number one Donald finished on the same score as Chinese 14-year-old Andy Zhang, who was eight over after his first five holes at the firm, fast-running Olympic Club in San Francisco.

Lee Westwood, the world number three, was playing with defending champion McIlroy and Donald but fought back from a double-bogey start to card a respectable 73 as only six players broke par.

Woods, back up to fourth in the world after his recent win at Memorial, looked in complete control of his game as he looks to win a first major since the 2008 US Open. The 36-year-old, who also won before the Masters but ended tied 40th at Augusta, began with five straight pars after starting at the ninth before dropping a first shot at the par-four 14th.

He made amends with a birdie at the 522-yard par-five 17th and fired back-to-back birdies at the fourth and fifth, the latter courtesy of a 30-foot putt, before a final bogey on the sixth.

"I played well - I felt like I had control of my game all day and stuck to my game plan," said Woods.

"We knew it was going to be quick, but we didn't think it was going to happen overnight.

"I was very pleased with every facet of my game and I stayed very patient."

Masters champion Bubba Watson, who took 78, said of his playing partner's display: "That was the old Tiger. That was beautiful to watch. "That's what we all come to see. That's what we all want to watch and that was awesome to see him strike the ball."

On his own wayward performance, the left-hander added: "The course beat me up today. It's a lot better than I am - it beat me by eight."

Thompson, a qualifier who reached the final of the US Amateur at the San Francisco course five years ago, was two over after six but made six birdies to leave the field trailing.

"This is one of my favourite golf courses, so I've got good feelings coming in here," said the 27-year-old, who is in his second year on the PGA Tour.

McIlroy, who won by eight strokes and broke a host of scoring records at Congressional last year, said: "I tried to approach it like any other tournament I play and tried to go out there and shoot the best score I could.

"It wasn't my greatest day, but hopefully I can come out and try and shoot a good one and at least try to be here for the weekend."

Donald, who in part blamed his putting , added: "The top three in the world [with McIlroy and Westwood] and we make three birdies between us - it shows how tough it is."

Five-time runner-up Mickelson lost a ball with his first shot and his day continued in a similar vein.

"I didn't play very well, obviously," said the four-time major champion. "I've got a tough challenge just to get to the weekend. I will see if I can shoot under par - maybe that will get me there."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/golf/18452703

_60910074_60922647.jpg

Andy Zhang (14 YEARS OLD) keeps poise in US Open debut at Olympic

Chinese teenager Andy Zhang carded a creditable 79 on day one of the US Open at the Olympic Club in San Francisco.

The Florida-based 14-year-old amateur was fifth reserve but made the event, becoming its youngest ever player, when England's Paul Casey pulled out.

Zhang finished one shot worse off than Masters champion Bubba Watson and took just three more than five-time US Open runner up Phil Mickelson.

"It was really tough, so I'm actually OK with what I shot," he said.

Zhang began with a triple bogey and double bogey followed by three straight bogeys but he fought back to birdie the seventh on the demanding Lake Course.

He dropped another shot at the eighth and made a double-bogey seven at the 670-yard par-five 16th before adding a birdie on the 18th to break 80.

"On the first tee I was like 'please don't hit a 100-yard slice' and was shaking really hard, but I hit a great shot," he added.

"I shot eight over for the first five, then made a par and I knew how to play golf a little bit after that.

"I think I kept myself pretty calm and I'm really proud of myself actually.

"Well I shouldn't say proud, but I'm really happy and honoured to be here."

At 14, Zhang beats the record of Tadd Fujikawa, who was 15 when he qualified for the 2006 US Open at Winged Foot.

Tiger Woods, who won the first of his 14 majors at the age of 21, said of Zhang's qualification: "I tried it when I was 15, but he went through both stages - he earned his spot.

"It's not too young if he did it and just think of the experience he is going to gain, and how well that's going to serve him."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/golf/18452942

_60958949_60958902.jpg

McDowell hunts second US Open

Graeme McDowell surged into contention for a second US Open title in three years going into day four at Olympic.

The 32-year-old Northern Irishman shot 68 to finish one under alongside 2003 champion Jim Furyk (70) with Sweden's Fredrik Jacobson (68) one back.

Lee Westwood made his move for a first major with a 67 for two over with two-time champion Ernie Els (68), Nicolas Colsaerts (71) and Blake Adams (70).

Tiger Woods struggled from the start and carded a 75 to end four over. Also on three over were 17-year-old amateur Beau Hossler, fellow Americans Jason Dufner, Webb Simpson, John Peterson and Kevin Chappell and Australian John Senden.

McDowell clinched his maiden, and so far only, major title down the California coast at Pebble Beach in 2010 and was followed to US Open glory by countryman Rory McIlroy last year. Victory for the man from Portrush would also mean a fourth major title in three years for Northern Irish players after Darren Clarke won the Open last year.

McDowell followed eight opening pars with a bogey on the 449-yard ninth at a hot and sunny Olympic Club in San Francisco.

But on the more scoreable back nine he holed putts of four feet on the 10th, 10 feet at the short 13th and then another four-footer for birdie at the last.

"It was hard work getting the right mindset," said McDowell, who clinched the winning point for Europe in the Ryder Cup at Celtic Manor in 2010. "I can draw a lot from [Pebble Beach]. My emotions were the same as two years ago. If I can keep preparing for majors like I am doing, I'll put myself in position to win others so tomorrow's not the be all and end all."

The 42-year-old Furyk, who won his sole major at Olympia Fields nine years ago, was the joint third-round leader with Woods and David Toms (76) and held firm as his fellow Americans slipped back.

Woods, bidding for a 15th major title four years after his last, could not match the control and putting prowess of the previous two days and dropped four shots inside his first eight holes. A solitary birdie on the ninth was followed by bogeys at 16 and 18.

The 36-year-old has never won a major coming from behind going into the final round, but Lee Janzen came from five strokes back to win the last time the US Open was staged at Olympic in 1998. The biggest final-round comeback in US Open history was Arnold Palmer's seven shots at Cherry Hills in 1960.

"It was frustrating," said Woods. "I struggled on the greens quite a bit - they looked quick, but they putted slow.

"It was just one of those days where I was right in between clubs on about every single shot. "I'm just going to have to shoot a good round, post early and see what happens.

"It's not like where you have to go out there and shoot 62 and 63. This is a US Open - you just need to hang around.

"I'm definitely still in the ball game. I'm only five back and that's certainly doable on this golf course for sure."

Westwood, playing in his 57th major, was four over through his first six holes on Thursday playing alongside McIlroy and Luke Donald but as the world's top two players missed the cut, the Worksop star edged his way into the tournament.

The 39-year-old followed up his opening 73 with a 72 before making his move from tied 29th, mixing two bogeys with five birdies including a 40 footer on the 18th.

Westwood missed out on the play-off by a shot in the 2008 US Open, and has had six other top threes in majors since then, including third behind McIlroy at Congressional last year.

"I think every time you get yourself in contention you learn something new," Westwood said, who was tied seventh at Olympic in 1998.

"I've been in contention a lot in different kinds of positions, leading, coming from behind. And in this tournament and other tournaments, the Masters, I finished third, so I was in contention there.

"I pick little bits out of all of those, but the main thing is just to go out there and believe that I'm good enough."

The last Englishman to win a major was Nick Faldo in 1996, while the only US Open winner from England was Tony Jacklin in 1970.

Jacobson, 37, who won his maiden PGA Tour event last year, has a best finish of tied fifth in a US Open, behind Furyk in 2003.

South Africa's Els, who chipped in for an eagle on the 17th, won the tournament in 1994 and 1997 and would break the record for the longest gap between US Open titles should he win on Sunday. Julius Boros (1952-63) and Hale Irwin (1979-1990) hold the record at 11 years.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/golf/18475517

_60969275_60969274.jpg

US Open: Webb Simpson beats McDowell at the Olympic Club

American Webb Simpson clinched his maiden major title with victory on an absorbing final day of the US Open.

The 26-year-old beat Northern Ireland's Graeme McDowell and fellow American Michael Thompson by one shot at a foggy Olympic Club in San Francisco.

Simpson shot 68 to set the target at one over and watched as 2010 champion McDowell missed a 25ft putt to force a play-off on the 18th.

Lee Westwood took 73 for three over, while Tiger Woods (73) was seven over. Simpson, who climbs to fifth in the world, becomes the 15th different major winner in a row, the ninth straight first-time winner and the third consecutive American to win one of golf's grand slam events.

"I've never felt nerves like I felt today," said Simpson, who was pipped to the US money list title by England's Luke Donald last year. "I had to hit my legs because I couldn't feel them.

"I probably prayed more the last three holes than I ever did in my life."

Starting the final day four shots behind co-leaders McDowell and Jim Furyk, Simpson made his move with a spell of four birdies in five holes from the sixth.

Parring his way home, he bettered the clubhouse mark of first-round leader Thompson, who shot 67, and took the outright lead when Furyk, who had been in front all day and led by two at one stage, bogeyed 16.

Both 2003 champion Furyk and McDowell had a chance to force an 18-hole play-off on Monday, but the 42-year-old American finished with another bogey via the left bunker on 18 for a 74 to end two back and McDowell could only make par for a 73.

"It was grind and a slog, but I'll be back," said the 32-year-old McDowell, who had hoped to make it three Northern Irish wins in a row following Rory McIlroy's success last June.

"There's a mixture of emotions inside me right now, disappointment, deflation, pride but mostly just frustration."

Furyk, whose hooked drive on the par-five 16th sparked his downfall, said: "I don't know how to put that one into words, but I had my opportunities and my chances and it was right there. On that back nine, it was my tournament to win. I've only got myself to blame."

Ireland's Padraig Harrington put up a serious challenge for a fourth major title and first since 2008 with a run of five birdies in 11 holes. But needing a birdie at the last to join Thompson, he ran up a bogey five after finding sand with his approach and ended with a 68 to finish three over.

Americans David Toms (68), John Peterson (70) and Jason Dufner (70) also finished three over with 1994 and 1997 US Open winner Ernie Els on four over.

The South African, who was third to McDowell at Pebble Beach, was one stroke off the lead after 15 but bogeyed the 16th and 18th for a 72.

England's world number three Lee Westwood was in contention for his first major title at the 57th attempt, but was derailed when he lost a ball, seemingly stuck up a pine tree on the fifth. He was forced to go back to the tee and play another and ran up a double bogey from which he never fully recovered, despite an eagle on 17.

Woods, chasing a 15th major title and first for four years, began bogey-bogey-double bogey and dropped six shots in his first six holes. The former world number one fought back with birdies on the eighth, 14th and 17th but could only finish in a tie for 21st with, among others, England's Justin Rose (72).

"Overall, the way I struck the golf ball, the way I controlled it all week is something that's very positive going forward," said the 36-year-old Woods.

"I was just a fraction off just a couple yards here and there and that's all it takes. I had so many balls that landed in the fairway that went into the rough."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/golf/18482460

• 1 month later...

tiger_595.jpg

Open 2012: Fear and loathing in Royal Lytham

Remember Car-nasty? Royal Lytham could become Royal Loathe 'em by the end of this week. The Open is back on the Fylde coast for the first time since David Duval won in 2001, and the early signs are that a monster lies in wait.

The thick rough, made more lush by the soggy British summer, has already been dubbed "unplayable" in parts by Tiger Woods, while defending champion Darren Clarke said players spraying the ball around this week might as well go home now.

Carnoustie earned its Car-nasty moniker during the gruesome Open of 1999 when tough weather and a brutal set-up made a mockery of the world's best players. Nineteen-year-old Spanish sensation Sergio Garcia was in tears in his mother's arms after shooting 89 and 83 in the first two rounds.

Lytham is not long by modern standards - it has been stretched by 181 yards to 7,086 yards and reduced from a par 71 to a par 70. But 206 bunkers scattered over a tight, bouncy seaside links with plenty of subtle undulations makes for a tough test. Playing out sideways or backwards may sometimes be the best way forward. And that is before you factor in a forecast of heavy rain and stiff winds, at least for the first part of the week.

"Before this year it was considered to be up there with Carnoustie as the most difficult of the Open Championship venues," Lytham's head pro of 25 years, Eddie Birchenough told me. "I suspect the fact we've got a few holes lengthened, a new seventh hole and rough up to your armpits, it might just make us the toughest of the lot."

The likelihood is that up to 200,000 fans will help trample down much of the deep stuff, while the rain will have doused the fire in the fast-running fairways.

BBC golf commentator Ken Brown thinks the rough may just play into Woods's hands, given he has more power than most to escape. Masters champion Bubba Watson says having the right attitude is crucial. "It's whoever can control their mind and not get frustrated about the weather and the situation," he said.

The front nine is where scores will need to be made as the inward holes will offer few opportunities to avenge earlier mistakes.

"The course looks absolutely immaculate but it's a huge challenge," added Birchenough.

"Our former greenkeeper, the late Jimmy MacDonald, used to say on a typical links course you play nine holes out and nine holes back, whereas at Lytham you play 13 out and five back. We've got holes that play to their full length, nothing plays short here.

"If we get a cross wind, with the fairways being only 25 yards wide, it's going to be very hard to hit the fairway and stop the ball on it. They'll have to play a shot to keep it out of the rough, using the wind as a barrier to bounce the ball off."

Birchenough will retire at the end of this year - "to play golf here and travel until I die" - having presided at three previous Opens as the Lytham pro.

The only shot he says he has seen in that time, given work commitments, was Ballesteros's chip onto the 18th on the Monday (after rain washed out Saturday's play) to seal his second Open title ahead of Nick Price and Nick Faldo in 1988.

"Seve loved this place, obviously. He was always very courteous and kind when he was here," said Birchenough.

He also tells a story of Tom Lehman wandering into his pro shop before the 1996 Open, hoping to pick up a few tips on how to play Lytham.

"He asked, 'how do I win here?'" recalls Birchenough. "I said, 'keep it on the short grass." Lehman took the advice on board and duly won the Claret Jug.

"He was a very nice man and very grateful - when he made the official video afterwards he mentioned that," added Birchenough.

"That Open was one of the great moments here. Talk about pride for the club. It was like a vicars' tea party without the church. The media dubbed it the 'friendly Open' and I don't think a club could get a better recommendation than that. The players enjoyed it, the staff enjoyed it, everyone was friendly and helpful and the weather was super. It was a fantastic week."

Five years later, the enigma that is Duval joined the list of Lytham champions, a man who appeared almost robot-like and emotionless before delivering the most humble and gracious of winning speeches. It made the decline that followed all the more cruel for a man who seemed destined to go head-to-head throughout his career with Woods.

"Duval, he was a super fella," said Birchenough. "We had seen this guy on TV for years wandering around hiding behind dark glasses, but once he took them off there was a man underneath. Another superbly courteous southern gentleman. I spent a bit of time with him after he won and he didn't know where he was. He eyes were glazed, he'd just given that wonderful winner's speech and he was just seven miles high."

So with all his experience and thousands of rounds under his belt at Royal Lytham, what sort of player does he think the 2012 Open champion will be?

"I don't think we'll get a winner who just drives well or just putts well or plays his irons well," said Birchenough. "If you look back at the past champions you would think he must be a straight driver, but Seve won here twice so that's not the case. You'd think they must be a long hitter, but Duval or Lehman were not that long.

"It'll be a fine player who goes for four days without going in a bunker. The bunker faces around the greens are very steep so a sand shot that elevates the ball almost vertically is a necessity just to escape.

"You have just got to have all your shots working for you, find the fairways, find the greens. And then putt like God."

Eddie Birchenough's guide to Royal Lytham's infamous final five:

The 14th, par four, 444 yards

A long par four. The prevailing wind (from the south west) is from the left and the fairway slopes left to right with bunkers down the right. The green slopes front to back with out of bounds five paces from the right edge. It's tough.

The 15th, par four, 462 yards

Almost into the prevailing wind with a very tightly bunkered drive area. If you find the fairway you've then got a shot over the line of cross bunkers to a green you can't really see - maybe just the top half of the flag. It's always difficult to be absolutely sure of the yardage.

The 16th, par four, 336 yards

A short par four famous for Seve's "car park" shot in 1979. It's been tightened up a bit and the fairway is very narrow. It will be interesting to see if, with a wind from the south, anyone takes it on with a driver. I've seen it driven, but it is very tightly bunkered and if you get into one you're not guaranteed a three and will probably be very happy with a four.

The 17th, par four, 453 yards

Probably our signature hole. Bobby Jones made it famous when he found the green from a fairway bunker on his way to victory in 1926. It's a dogleg right to left, needing a drive short of the cross bunkers coming from the left. Then it's a semi blind shot over a ridge of dunes to a green where you can only see the top half of the flag. Some trees have been taken down on the left of the fairway, which makes the green look much further left than it is. Visually it is quite a tricky hole to come to terms with. Again, very well bunkered around the green.

The 18th, par four, 413 yards

The graveyard of so many would-be Open champion's hopes. Two successive lines of bunkers run left to right diagonally across the fairway - a formidable final hurdle. I remember Tony Jacklin's drive in 1969 - there was a collective sigh of relief when he found the fairway. The green is long - about 40 yards - so clubbing has to be good for the second shot. It's well bunkered on both sides and is a real amphitheatre which will induce the nerves with 9000 people packed into the stands. A very good finishing hole.

_61684298_adamscottstill.png

The Open 2012: Adam Scott matches record to lead

Adam Scott equalled the course record for an Open Championship with a first-round 64 to take an early lead at Royal Lytham & St Annes.

The Australian, who was 32 on Monday, set the pace at six under in perfect scoring conditions on the Fylde coast to lead Scotland's 1999 champion Paul Lawrie and former Masters winner Zach Johnson by two shots.

In another big-name group of major winners at three under were Tiger Woods, Ernie Els, Bubba Watson and Graeme McDowell.

England's Lee Westwood struggled with his game despite opening with two birdies and carded a three-over 73.

Welshman Jamie Donaldson, who won the recent Irish Open at Portrush, ended two under.

Rory McIlroy, Luke Donald and Phil Mickelson were among the afternoon starters.

Scott, who is still chasing a first major title after finishing as runner-up in the Masters last year, had the chance to create history when he stood seven under with two to play, needing one more birdie for the first round of 62 in any major.

However, a bogey on the 18th after a poor tee shot meant the 31-year-old had to settle for equalling the lowest Open round at Lytham, which was set by Tom Lehman on his way to the Claret Jug in 1996.

"I know there's never been a 62 and when I was waiting to use the bathroom going to the 17th tee I did a look at the leaderboard and realised it was a par-70," the world number 13 said.

"I also probably then realised that I wasn't going to be the guy to shoot 62. It's one of those things that you don't want to go through your mind, thinking about your final score and stuff like that.

"So I got rid of that quickly and got on to playing the 17th, but unfortunately dropped one up the last."

The 43-year-old Lawrie has found some form again this season, winning in Qatar in March, and is targeting a return to Ryder Cup duties in September.

"I heard my name quite a lot today, which down in England you can be a wee bit surprised about. It's nice," said Lawrie.

"It's the Open and everyone is here to support the British players as well as everyone else. I hit some nice shots for them."

Woods, chasing a 15th major title and first since the 2008 US Open, was pleased with how he played.

"I felt in control of my swing, I shaped the ball both ways," said the three-time Open champion.

"I just need to roll my putts harder. The greens are soft after all this rain."

Masters champion Watson, 2002 Open winner Els and 2010 US Open champion McDowell were also in the hunt on a still morning, but with the breeze rising, McDowell described Lytham as a "sleeping giant".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/golf/18913518

_61714005_61714004.jpg

The Open 2012: Brandt Snedeker storms clear at Lytham

Brandt Snedeker matched Adam Scott's opening 64 to set the pace on day two of the 141st Open Championship at Royal Lytham & St Annes. The 31-year-old American pushed the lead to 10 under with another course-record-equalling round for an Open at Lytham.

Snedeker was four clear of first-round leader Scott, an afternoon starter, and eight clear of the next group in the clubhouse at two under par. Luke Donald shot 68 to edge to two under alongside American Steve Stricker (71) and New Zealander Steven Alker, while Rory McIlroy carded a five-over 75 to slide to two over. Only the top 70 players and those tied for 70th will make the cut which is hovering between two and three over par.

American Phil Mickelson (78) and England's Paul Casey (79) both finished on 11 over par. England's Simon Dyson finished one under after a 67 and Padraig Harrington shot 72 for two over but Rickie Fowler, who also took 72, was flirting with the cut at three over.

Snedeker had six birdies and six straight pars to finish and has not leaked a single bogey after carding a 66 on day one. "I'm sure everybody in this room is in about as much of shock as I am right now," he told a news conference after his second round. "My mantra all week has been to get the ball on the greens as fast as possible. Once I'm on there I have a pretty good handle on the speed of the greens. I'm just going to try and keep doing that over the weekend."

Donald kept himself in contention by swapping three bogeys for five birdies, including three in a row from the fourth. "Again, it was a pretty solid round, tee to green," said Donald, who was without regular caddie John McLaren as he dashed to London to attend the birth of his first child. "The difference between yesterday's and today's round was I holed a few more putts.

"Still the only disappointing thing probably was I gave myself a lot of opportunities from 100 to 150 yards with the greens being pretty soft, not much wind. I wasn't quite sharp enough, hitting a lot of shots from that distance to 25 feet, and I felt like I could have created some more opportunities that way. I'm certainly feeling more and more comfortable. Obviously where I am in my career I need to be contending. "

McIlroy, who began the day three under, said the turning point was the double bogey he made after taking two to get out of a greenside bunker on the short ninth and running up a double bogey. "It wasn't the best day out there," he said. "I was doing pretty well just to hang in there around par on the front nine. And making a double, I couldn't really recover from that. I wasn't committing to my tee shots and I was in two minds a few times about what shots to hit off tees."

The 23-year-old revealed afterwards he had paid for a hotel night for the man he hit on the head with a wayward drive and his friend. The pair, who were planning to camp, also received about £100 for dinner. "I thought it was the least I could do," said McIlroy, who gave the youngster a signed glove at the time. "I didn't want him sleeping the night in a tent when he's got a massive gash in the side of his head."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/golf/18929090

_61730706_61727244.jpg

The Open 2012: Adam Scott leads as Graeme McDowell give chase

Adam Scott will take a four-shot lead over Graeme McDowell and Brandt Snedeker into the final round of the 141st Open championship at Royal Lytham & St Annes.

The 32-year-old Australian, who is chasing his first major title, fired a two-under 68 to build a decent cushion at 11 under par with strong winds forecast for Sunday afternoon. Northern Ireland's McDowell, the 2010 US Open champion, climbed to seven under with a 67 and was joined by America's second-round leader Snedeker, who holed a big putt across the 18th for a 73.

Tiger Woods is one shot further adrift as he tries to win a 15th major and first since the 2008 US Open.

The 36-year-old, who won the last of his three Open titles in 2006, had to fight hard for his level-par 70 after dropping two shots in his first three holes. Woods has never won a major tournament when trailing going into the final day.

South Africa's Ernie Els (68), the 2002 Open champion, and America's Zach Johnson (66), who won the Masters in 2007, finished on five under.

Denmark's 22-year-old Thorbjorn Olesen took 71 in the company of Woods to end four under on his own.

World number one Luke Donald carded a 71 to end one under, the same deficit that Paul Lawrie overturned to win the Open at Carnoustie in 1999.

Third-ranked Lee Westwood also took 71 to slip to four over, while Northern Ireland's world number two Rory McIlroy compiled a 73 to end five over. "I'm feeling great, it was good solid day and I did what I needed to do. I've never played in the final pairing at a major," said Scott.

"I'm in a great position and am hopefully a good round of golf will make it hard for the other guys.

"It's almost impossibe not to think about playing tomorrow but I'll do everything I normally do."

Scott described caddie Steve Williams, who took over his bag after being sacked by Woods in July 2011, as "a great motivator" as he bids to be the first Australian to win the Claret Jug since Greg Norman's triumph at Royal St George's in 1993.

The Switzerland-based world number 13, who finished tied second behind Charl Schwartzel at the 2011 Masters, would also become the 16th consecutive different major champion.

Scott, who led after round one, began the day one shot behind playing partner Snedeker and inherited the lead at nine under when the American dropped shots at the fifth and sixth. After 11 holes Scott had reached 12 under and held a five-shot lead over Woods, who had fought back with birdies at six, seven and nine.

Despite dropping a shot at the 13th, the Australian parred his way home as Woods, who made several crucial par putts, dropped a shot at the 15th. Snedeker birdied 16 and 18 to claw his way back into contention and McDowell picked up three shots in his last six holes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/golf/18940877