✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Me playing Coldplay songs on the piano. Comments

Kacey

Thanks for the sheet ;) Your handwriting is cool ;) and neat

Ha ha thanks, that was done in a rush!

Does anyone know what synth Tim from Keane uses? I was watching a concert of them on TV he blow me away! the main riff in "Crystal Ball" and "Is it any wonder?" are played on the synth on a distorted setting(I think). He has so inspired me to want to get a synth!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all,

hey Kacey I couldnt find you any video of you playing "Speed of Sound". ?? I was interestd to see your take on the chords in this song.

I gather you have worked this one out..... Have you looked at the choice of chords and how it is that they work together ? This is interesting stuff.

This is what I think.....

The song starts in the key of A major and then in the chorus modulates to the key of G major and then returns to A again in the next verse & so on. This is why the change to the chorus has such a powerful effect. You can also hear a small shift when it changes back to the verse from G to A.

In the verse when singing the chords are: A , Em , Em , D and then the D chord leads to the chorus which initially is: G A Bm7 ("All that noise & all that sound" . So what we have is: Chord IV in A major [ D ] acts as chord V in G major when the song changes to the chorus in G major. This is a great key change. Its unusual because its a downward key change - down from A to G. Much better than the boring up-one-tone key changes you hear at the end of songs on Australian Idol.

What do you guys think ? Do you agree /disagree - do u hear a key change ? How else can u explain the unusual use of chords here & the shifts from verse to chorus and back.

There are some other interesting thing- like the use of Em/M7 - but I'll leave at that for now.

Cheers,

the music man

Yes, I already know how to play it. I made a video of it earlier, but removed it because I play it differently now.

And uh...I don't know what you're talking about since I am absolutely clueless about chords. lol.

The song starts in the key of A major and then in the chorus modulates to the key of G major and then returns to A again in the next verse & so on. This is why the change to the chorus has such a powerful effect. You can also hear a small shift when it changes back to the verse from G to A.

In the verse when singing the chords are: A , Em , Em , D and then the D chord leads to the chorus which initially is: G A Bm7 ("All that noise & all that sound" . So what we have is: Chord IV in A major [ D ] acts as chord V in G major when the song changes to the chorus in G major. This is a great key change. Its unusual because its a downward key change - down from A to G. Much better than the boring up-one-tone key changes you hear at the end of songs on Australian Idol.

What do you guys think ? Do you agree /disagree - do u hear a key change ? How else can u explain the unusual use of chords here & the shifts from verse to chorus and back.

There are some other interesting thing- like the use of Em/M7 - but I'll leave at that for now.

Cheers,

the music man

I got a bit of a shock when, on the X&Y sheet music, the song was in the key of A! i thought the chords fitted perfectly to G!

is it okay to have Em chord in the key of A? (there's no G note in A key, only G#-thats way E major in A key)

I know Keys are only guidlines but does it sound okay musically?

Well I can say a good thing about your hands ;) They play very very good ;) How much do you practice a day ? And how long have you been playing ?

Well since it's summer, I've had more time to practice and learn more songs. Play about once a day or so. During the school, barely any time at all.

And I'm not sure how long I've been playing. I know a little before I was seven. But I stopped for a couple years because I didn't like it. Then Coldplay came along to change my mind in the past year. :)

That's cool :) And how old are you now ? If I may ask :)

First i played keyboard, for 4 years or so. And now since.. well 1,5 our 2 years piano :)

I'm 17 now. :)

I'll have to listen to some of Radiohead's songs DeusEx, I don't really know them that well.

I'll have to listen to some of Radiohead's songs DeusEx' date=' I don't really know them that well.[/quote']

Maybe listen to "Karma Police", that's a popular enough song. However i'm crap at playing it!

For the piano ? Or wasn't that message not for me :) Well if you have sheets or anything :wink2: I can try

Download "Everything in it's right place" and see what you think of it (it's on Kid A) it's the easiest Readiohead song to play on Keyboard i think [in fact, get all Radiohead albums! you wont be disappointed!]

Maybe listen to "Karma Police", that's a popular enough song. However i'm crap at playing it!

Download "Everything in it's right place" and see what you think of it (it's on Kid A) it's the easiest Readiohead song to play on Keyboard i think [in fact, get all Radiohead albums! you wont be disappointed!]

I've got Kid A :) I've got 2 or 3 albums i believe :) But I haven't listened to them more than 2 times