✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

'The origin' interview

coldpatrix

WILL CHAMPION: The first time we all played as a band, I think it was in January 1998, in Jonny's bedroom. We were all at university [university College London] together: Jonny and Chris lived together with two other guys up in Camden [Town], in north London. The first song we ever played was called "Ode to Deodorant."

MD: Deodorant?

WC: Yeah. [both laugh] It was one of the first songs we ever wrote together.

MD: What was that about?

WC: Well, surprisingly enough, deodorant. It had a good ending and a good bass line, but it was a crappy song, and we played it for about two hours. I had the number of a local promoter; we phoned him up right after our first rehearsal and asked, "Can we have a gig?" And he said, "Yeah, but you have to bring 25 people." So we just told everyone we knew. Two weeks later, we played our first concert and had 100 people there. It was pretty cool.

MD: And you played a 20-minute version of "Ode to Deodorant"?

WC: No, no! We played six songs; then they wanted an encore, so we played the second song again. [both laugh]

MD: How many of those songs showed up on Coldplay's first album?

WC: "High Speed" we might have been played, and a song called "Panic," which then became "Don't Panic."

extract from an interview (http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1285/is_7_33/ai_105735865)

Now, we can say:

1. Panic and Don't Panic are the same songs

2. The setlist of the first gig evere performed included Panic, High Speed, Ode To Deodorant and Brothers and Sisters

3. Ode To Deodorant it's one of the first song ever written, not properly the first! So...it's true to say that 'So Sad' it's the very first song ever written by Coldplay!

^^^^ ?????

My info about early recordings setlists band names ...

Early Coldplay Band Names were ...

The Red Rooster Boogey Band

The Rocking Honky's

Starfish

Coldplay

1st Song Chris Wrote = Love im so tired ( Performed by Chris & John )

2nd Song = December ? ( Performed by Chris, John & Guy )

3rd Song = So Sad ( all current band members )

First gig setlist ? (Chris, John, Guy, Will)

If all else fails

So sad

Rock song

Vitamins

Ode

John Squire > (Panic) > (Dont Panic)

Thoughts ......

WILL CHAMPION: The first time we all played as a band' date=' I think it was in January 1998, in Jonny's bedroom. We were all at university [university College London'] together: Jonny and Chris lived together with two other guys up in Camden [Town], in north London. The first song we ever played was called "Ode to Deodorant."

MD: Deodorant?

WC: Yeah. [both laugh] It was one of the first songs we ever wrote together.

MD: What was that about?

WC: Well, surprisingly enough, deodorant. It had a good ending and a good bass line, but it was a crappy song, and we played it for about two hours. I had the number of a local promoter; we phoned him up right after our first rehearsal and asked, "Can we have a gig?" And he said, "Yeah, but you have to bring 25 people." So we just told everyone we knew. Two weeks later, we played our first concert and had 100 people there. It was pretty cool.

MD: And you played a 20-minute version of "Ode to Deodorant"?

WC: No, no! We played six songs; then they wanted an encore, so we played the second song again. [both laugh]

MD: How many of those songs showed up on Coldplay's first album?

WC: "High Speed" we might have been played, and a song called "Panic," which then became "Don't Panic."

extract from an interview (http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1285/is_7_33/ai_105735865)

Now, we can say:

1. Panic and Don't Panic are the same songs

2. The setlist of the first gig evere performed included Panic, High Speed, Ode To Deodorant and Brothers and Sisters

3. Ode To Deodorant it's one of the first song ever written, not properly the first! So...it's true to say that 'So Sad' it's the very first song ever written by Coldplay!

Am I missing something? Where does it say that 'Brothers & Sisters' was in their first set list? 'Panic' I have and it is 'Don't Panic'.

its from a radio interview

that include Debs Wild, and Phil Harding talking :)

It's Phil Harvery by the way. Also, they have only performed as Starfish even though they will have thought of many names. Pectoralz was a boy band concept they were having a laugh with.

According to Nite, this is the setlist:

If all else fails

So sad

Rock song

Vitamins

Ode

John Squire > (Panic) > (Dont Panic)

So i think it's this!

Where are you getting this "John Squire" as a previous title of the song from? He's a famous guitarist! He was in the Stone Roses (& Seahorses) but Panic - Don't Panic wasn't ever called that...... to my knowledge. I have never heard If All Else Fails (it rings a bell though....) or Rock Song. I have Vitamins so that makes sense.