✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Who Am I?

burningmonk

I was born on 21st April 1913 in Maidstone, Kent. I graduated from Imperial College London with First Class Honours in Physics. In 1960, I became a member of an Advisory Group on the state of British transport. The following year, I was appointed chairman of the British Transport Comission (later the British Railways Board), despite having no experience of Rail management. I gained a lot of notoriety for a set of plans that ended up in the closure of a third of the country's rail network.

Who am I?

Thought this might be a good idea, maybe not. Who gets the correct answer can do another one etc etc.

Damn..so okay, i know yours was Richard Beeching, right?

But i can't think of a new one now boo.. so it might take a while.

If someone else wants to do the next one i don't mind, but i'll try to come up with something during the next few hours anyway ;)

I saw the title of this thread on the main page and thought somehow that it was about split personality, you know, talking to yourself in your head and all. Like, when there're two of you inside you and they're quite opposite, and you just can't decide which of them is actually real you, so you're just questioning and questioning and still can't figure out who or what you really are.

Ouch.

I was born in 1869 in Porbandar. At the age of 18 i went to University College London to train as a barrister and i returned back home after my studies because i was called to the bar of England and Wales by Inner Temple.

My life changed dramatically after facing the discrimination directed to Indians and blacks in South Africa.

Assuming leadership of the Indian National Congress, I led nationwide campaigns for the alleviation of poverty, for the liberation of women, for brotherhood amongst differing religions and ethnicities, and for the economic self-sufficiency of the nation, but above all for Swarat —the independence of India from foreign domination. I practised and advocated non-violence and truth even in the most extreme situations. I was killed by a Hindu radical in the late 1940's while i was having a night walk.

Who am I?

Oh what a brilliant idea, Mo! :D

^ James May, from Top Gear.

----

- I was born in Amman on November 14, 1935.

- I steered a middle course in the face of the political upheavals inside and outside his country, favouring the Western powers, particularly Britain, while supporting Arab nationalism.

- I was an avid amateur radio operator (callsign JY1). I also loved to fly airplanes (prop and jet) as well as helicopters.

- According to actor and comedian Mike Myers in an appearance on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, I was a great fan of the Austin Powers movie series, and would do impressions of Dr. Evil at meetings with defense contractors and high-ranking officers of the U. S. military. (Haha.. I never knew of this info. :nice:)

- In 1998-99, I spent six months in the U.S. being treated for non-Hodgkin's lymphoma; I succumbed to the disease in February of 1999.

(God, I wish he was still around. :()

I was born on July 15th 1956 in Manchester. I grew up in Maccelsfield and showed talent as a poet at a young age. I was awarded a scholarship in a top school in the UK, but I was never interested in academic success, I was more into the arts, most importantly, music. My band was formed in 1976 and was famous for its dark, profound lyrics. I suffered from epileptic seizures. Sadly, I died at the age of 23 in 1980 when I committed suicide, but the legacy of my music lives on till this day.

-----------------

Quite an easy one really..

• 8 months later...

Ian Curtis

I was born on August 23, 1970 and named after the word meaning a naural stream of water. In 1989, I was nominated for an Academy Award and have four other siblings who work in the entertainment business to this day. Unfortunately, just less than two hours into Halloween in 1993, I collapsed in Hollywood in front of a popular nightclub and later died of drug-induced heart failure. The Red Hot Chilli Peppers wrote "Transcending" in my honor after my death.

Who am I?

River Phoenix

I was born on December 7, 1973 in Dublin, Ireland and spent my childhood fishing and daydreaming in the countryside of Celbridge, County Kildare. In 1999 I headed for Tuscany and busked around Europe. One of my songs was featured in the movie 'Closer'. Two of my album titles consist of only either a letter or a number. I'm in the credits for the movie "Once". I recently went on a 10 day road trip to Barcelona.

Who am I?