✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

28-Sep-2008: Hallenstadion, Zurich - Tickets, Preview, Meetups, Review/Photos

Jenjie

did anyone see the article in "der bund" today? there was a bad review about the concert, that stupid reporter got it all wrong and made it look like coldplay wanted to please everyone and totally failed & that the concert was "unoriented"!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your welcome!!!

Ok well you go to http://www.photobucket.com then you make an account. It doesnt cost any money or anything. Then once you finish that, you just upload your pictures. Then to post pictures you take the IMG Code of the picture, which is the fourth code directly below the picture after you finish uploading it. Then directly copy and paste it the reply box and there you go! I hope that helps!!!:D

thanx a lot, I will do that and hope I'll be able to show you some pic's I made, they are not that bad coz I was in the front row ;)

Your welcome:) Ya I hope to see them!!! Wow front row, thats so awesome!!!

it really was awesome, we only waited for like 2.5h!!!! incredible, we were standing right in front of guy.....and the stupid cameraman ;) I'm at work now but I'll upload it as soon as I'm home and have some little time

this is the article I read about the show, sorry for all the english-speaking people here who can't understand it, but you certanly don't miss anything coz it's bullshit what he writes. but for the ones who speak german, what do you think about it?

Gefangen im Zwiespalt

Coldplays zerfahrener Auftritt im Zürcher Hallenstadion

Wohin des Weges? Coldplay, der letzte verlässliche Goldesel der Musikindustrie, spielte ein orientierungsloses Konzert, das im Bemühen, allen zu gefallen, spektakulär scheiterte.

«Those who are dead . . .» singt Chris Martin mit der dünnen, unverkennbaren Stimme, begleitet von seinem Klavierspiel. Martin, der Schlaks mit der Kurzhaarfrisur und der kurligen Fantasie-Militäruniform, bricht die Weltschmerzmelodie abrupt ab und wendet sich dem Publikum zu: «Everybody okay?» Das Spiel wiederholt sich, zwei-, dreimal, als sei es ihm und seinen drei Gefährten peinlich, dass sie das für Coldplay-Verhältnisse sperrige Lied «42» überhaupt konzertant aufführten. Die Notbremse wird gezogen, Martin stimmt fix die Hymne «Fix You» an, und die 13 000 Zuschauer im seit Monaten ausverkauften Zürcher Hallenstadion am Sonntagabend zeigen sich versöhnt.

Die Szene illustriert den Zwiespalt, in dem sich die momentan erfolgreichste Band der Welt befindet. Coldplay müssen gefallen, ist doch das Quartett für den angeschlagenen Plattenmulti EMI nach dem Abgang von Radiohead und weiteren prominenten Acts der letzte verlässliche Goldesel. Die ehrgeizigen Coldplay hegen aber auch einen anmassenden Anspruch auf einen Platz im klassischen Pop-Pantheon, den sie auf ihrem grotesk überproduzierten aktuellen Album «Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends» bereits mit der Covergestaltung unterstreichen: Delacroix’ Revolutionszeitbild «La Liberté guidant le peuple» ist da zu sehen, das während des ersten Teils des zerfahrenen Konzerts auch auf die Leinwand projiziert wurde.

Musikalische Schwächen

Coldplay eröffnen den 90-minütigen Auftritt mit dem instrumentalen Intro «Life in Technicolor», gefolgt von «Violet Hill», das die musikalischen Schwächen der Band offenbart. Das undynamische Schlagzeugspiel von Will Champion hinkt und rattert, Chris Martins changierende Stimme erstickt zuweilen, während Jonny Buckland an der Gitarre – ein Wiedergänger des U2-Gitarristen The Edge – und der Bassist Guy Berryman schlicht zu bieder wirken.

Die Band probiert im Echoraum Hallenstadion die verschiedensten Stadionrock-Strategien aus. Sie verweigert sich, indem die Bühne schlecht ausgeleuchtet und die Sicht durch riesige beleuchtete Kugeln eingeschränkt ist. Sie gibt sich publikumsnah und intim, steigt auf ein kleines Podest am Rande von einem der zwei ins Auditorium ragenden Laufstege, wo sie ein kurzes angestrengtes Techno-Set vorträgt. Die Mitglieder rennen auf die Tribüne, spielen, umringt von Fans, zwei akustische Nummern, die mit dem Einsatz von Mundharmonika und Mandoline kein Folk-Klischee auslassen.

Bemühter Kraftakt

Nichts wird bei diesem bemühten Kraftakt, allen Altersklassen und Gesellschaftsschichten zu gefallen, dem Zufall überlassen – schon gar nicht die genau getimten Mitsinglieder. Das nächste Stück sei ein «big sing-a-long», und das Publikum «will go crazy», lässt der Conférencier Martin verlauten, der in seinen Ansagen immer wieder Schweizerdeutsche Einsprengsel anbringt. Der aktuelle Hit «Viva La Vida» mit, Orchestereinlagen ab Konserve paukt und stampft im Anschluss, das Publikum singt die Chörli mit und der schmächtige, immer torkelnde Zampano legt sich erschöpft auf den Bühnen-Boden, ehe er von der abrupt einsetzenden nächsten Melodie für die Massen scheinbar überrumpelt wird und seinen windschiefen Tanz wieder aufnimmt.

Ein unfreiwillig komischer Eurodance-Remix von «Viva La Vida» aus dem Off und drei Zugaben mitsamt Konfettiregen später spielen die vier zum Schluss ihren ersten grossen Erfolg «Yellow». Es ist das einzige Echo aus einer Zeit, als Coldplay noch einigermassen schnörkellos agierten, ehe der phänomenale Erfolg die einfach gestrickte Band zu übergrossen Ansprüchen und dem spektakulär gescheiterten Zürcher Auftritt verleitete.

Translation by: http://www.stars21.com/translator/

Caught in dilemma

Coldplays zerfahrener appearance in the Zurich Hallenstadion

Where the trail? Coldplay, the last reliable Goldesel the music industry, played a free concert orientation in the effort, to all fallen spectacularly failed.

"Those who are dead. . . "Sings Chris Martin with the thin, unmistakable voice, accompanied by his piano playing. Martin, Schlaks with shorthair Hair and kurligen fantasy military uniform, interrupted the World melody abruptly from pain and turned to the audience: "Everybody okay?" The game is repeated, two, three, as if it were him and his three companions embarrassing That the ratios for bulky Coldplay song "42" concert ever performed. The emergency brake is pulled, Martin agrees fix the anthem "Fix You", and the 13 000 spectators at the sold-out months since Zurich Hallenstadion on Sunday evening show that reconciles.

The scene illustrates the dilemma in which the currently most successful band in the world is located. Coldplay have fallen, but that is for the quartet posted Platte multi EMI after the departure of Radiohead and other prominent acts of the last reliable Goldesel. The ambitious Coldplay cherish but also a anmassenden entitled to a place in the classic pop pantheon, she überproduzierten grotesquely on their latest album "Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends" with the cover design to emphasize: Delacroix's revolution time picture "La Liberté Guidant le peuple "is there to see that during the first part of the concert zerfahrenen also on the canvas was projected.

Musical weaknesses

Coldplay open the 90-minute appearance with the instrumental intro "Life in Technicolor," followed by "Violet Hill", the musical weaknesses of the tape reveals. That undynamische drums by Will Champion limps and clattered, Chris Martin's iridescent voice sometimes choked while Jonny Buckland on guitar - a re-goers of the U2 guitarist The Edge - and bassist Guy Berryman are simply too honest.

The band tried in the echo chamber Hallenstadion stadium rock variety of strategies. They are denied by the poorly lit stage and the view through huge illuminated balls is restricted. It gives itself publikumsnah and intimate, rising on a small podium on the outskirts of one of the two towering into the auditorium catwalks, where she initiated a short techno-set argument. The members run on the grandstand play, surrounded by fans, two acoustic numbers, with the use of harmonica and mandolin no folk cliché omitted.

Tried effort

Nothing will be tried in this effort, all ages and social classes to be dropped, is left to chance - certainly not exactly getimten Mitsing songs. The next piece was a "big sing-a-long", and the audience "wants to go crazy," leaves the lecturers Martin announced in his announcements repeatedly Swiss German Einsprengsel himself. The current hit "Viva La Vida" with orchestra deposits from canned paukt and stamped at the end, the audience sings the Chörli and with little, always Zampano torkelnde laid down exhausted on the stage floor, before he abruptly from the onset of the next melody The masses apparently by surprise, and his windschiefen dance begins again.

An unintentionally funny euro dance remix of "Viva La Vida" off and three encores, including confetti rain later play the four concludes its first big success of "Yellow". It is the only echo from a time when Coldplay yet acted reasonably straightforward, even before the phenomenal success of the simple knitted band to big ambitions and the spectacular failure of Zurich tempts appearance.

I was at this concert and enjoyed every second of it! :cool:

But since it was sold out 4 months ago within 2 minutes (standing tickets) and 10 minutes (seats) and the ticketing website broke down, I had to pay CHF (swiss francs) 200.- instead of the original 80.- :( But even though it hurt to spend that much (as a student), it was worth it.

A few days earlier, the "text message from Chris" on the official website stated that they'll soon play a newly finished song called "Glass of Water" at one of the upcoming shows. So I decided to put "GLASS OF WATER" and a little drawing of a water glass on a small cardboard sign and took that to the concert. I knew I couldn't really make them play it if they hadn't planned to do so anyway, but oh well, I just wanted to show them my hope.. :)

So at the end of the main concert, before the encore, I already thought they would never see my oh so little sign.. :/ But while walking out, Chris spottet it, squeezed his eyes (don't know how to say that in correct English.. you know, so that you can see a bit better), read it and then seemed to say "Oh! yea yea" while winking to me and making :thumbsup: with his hand (if I remember correctly). :)

They didn't end up playing it just because of my sign, but at least he saw it..

Man, if only I'd had some more time and didn't had to hurry to catch my train, I would have added a "PLEASE" below - maybe that would've made a difference, who knows... ^^

Oh and by the way, in case you haven't seen it yet, a new blog entry by R#42 about the Zurich concert has just been published:

Blog #35

On his photo, some of my friends are visible :)

Hands.jpg

They do the most bizarre thing in Switzerland. (Although I admit' date=' I'm the one talking about drying your face on a dog...) I've seen it a few times at gigs, but mainly, I've seen it on TV coverage of ski events. Basically, everyone in the crowd stretches their arms out and waggles their fingers whilst making a "wooooooo" sound. I'm in the pit (the gap between the stage and the crowd - it may be time for a roadie glossary...) just before Yellow and suddenly behind me the whole venue is doing it instead of clapping or chanting for an encore. It's amazing. A photo cannot possibly do it justice, but here we are anyway.[/quote']

That's right :cool:

(And usually, when the band comes back on stage again, the crowd lifts the arms up higher several times while chanting "ooy! oy! oy!" (which is sometimes even choreographed by the singer of the performing band). But that didn't really happen here because they were quite fast at starting to play again and everyone wanted to listen to Yellow ^^ )

_____

I have also made some pictures and videos, but unfortunately only with my mobile phone (Sony Ericsson K770i) which has no zoom or anything :(

But since you're all crazy for any material you can get ;) I'll still show it to you, but don't expect too much, it's very crappy. Especially the vids with horrible image quality and quite bad audio quality :/

But anyway, here they are, hope you (or your bandwith) don't get an overkill.

(Everything chronologically)

An image of the back side of the stadium, while people are still walking in.

dsc00707zd9.jpg

Albert Hammond, Jr. (was great)

dsc00709li3.jpg

dsc00713yl5.jpg

dsc00714zj6.jpg

dsc00715sr0.jpg

dsc00716km5.jpg

dsc00719vi6.jpg

dsc00720br4.jpg

dsc00721ck5.jpg

I was right at the B-Stage :)

dsc00722lk2.jpg

dsc00723df0.jpg

dsc00724gw3.jpg

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4Dj3J8jAw8]YouTube - B-Stage Session: God Put A Smile Upon Your Face (Techno Version) + Talk (Partial, Techno Version)[/ame]

dsc00726sx2.jpg

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljdEqMWT6M0]YouTube - B-Stage Session: Chris talking about Swiss German + The Hardest Part (Piano + Chris) + Postcards From Far Away (Instrumental, beginning)[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQCFzGZVElc]YouTube - B-Stage Session: Postcards From Far Away (Instrumental, ending) + Viva La Vida (beginning)[/ame]

dsc00729ty8.jpg

dsc00730ve5.jpg

At the so-called C-Stage (Acoustic Session), they're at the shiny spot ^^

dsc00732ev5.jpg

Does anybody know what beautiful Piano melody Chris is playing at 7:28? Does he do that always at the end of Politik? Is this just en extension of Politik or could it be an excerpt from a new song? :)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R789YO34a2Y]YouTube - Viva La Vida Remix Interlude (in the dark) + Politik + Some beautiful Piano Playing by Chris Martin (starting at 7:28)[/ame]

dsc00736iw1.jpg

dsc00737fu9.jpg

dsc00738po3.jpg

dsc00739da9.jpg

dsc00740nd3.jpg

dsc00742ym7.jpg

dsc00744lk0.jpg

After the concert...

dsc00745nc6.jpg

hello guys!

my name's fabrizio and I'm from switzerland...I'm a coldplay fan since a rush of blood to the head came out & last sunday it was my first coldplay concert :) I play the guitar, the ukulele, the bass and the harmonica and a little piano I apologize for my bad english :)

that article in german is totally "scheisse" :lol: ...the autor wrote weird shit...that's not about music....

I noticed that chris "broke" his in-ear cable at the beginning of yellow, so then he had troubles with singing :)

and did you hear the noise we were making before yellow? that seems to be a swiss thing because they didn't know it :) you're waggling with your hands and you make a "wooo" noise....and then everyone should lift his arms at the same time and make even a louder noise :P but that didn't work that well :D because they didn't know it :D but Guy was laughing histerically about it :lol: