December 7, 201213 yr How hard a language is is a relative notion - for one thing, it depends on the mother tongue of the individual. I'd suppose that a person who knows Mandarin Chinese would find it less hard to learn Cantonese than would, for example, a person who speaks a romance language. Do you speak Cantonese? :) yeah its true ... i do speak cantonese and its my first language
December 7, 201213 yr 那么,我很高兴认识你! Hope that it isn't too wrong. In any case, I meant that I'm glad to get to know seeing that I don't think we've spoken before :D
December 7, 201213 yr Absolutely perfect in spite of you wrote in mandarin (used to learn it in primary school and high school) 那么(So),我(I)很高兴(so happy)认识你(to meet you) ! Looks like nonsense but thats how chinese works lol :) I will show you how i would say them in my language(cantonese)later I cant type any cantonese at the moment Anyways its a good beginning :laugh3:
December 7, 201213 yr my family speaks Cantonese. I forgot it when I had to learn English when I was in kindergarten so I only know a little.
December 7, 201213 yr So does mine =D But I switch it with Portuguese (which is my mother tongue) a lot. I thought Cantonese was written with the same script used with Mandarin Chinese. I am terribly sorry! @bubbleymonki How are your ASL classes going, btw?
December 8, 201213 yr awesome!.. haha yeah my cousins tend to switch with english and cantonese a lot when talking to the family. ASL is so much fun! I love it and my professor makes it even more fun with his sense of humor. Everyday we're always laughing and smiling in this class, I'm going to miss this class. We had our first “interview” exam today that was one on one with the professor. I wasn't nervous until he turned on the video recorder! :stunned:
December 8, 201213 yr Wow where you two from ?? this is getting more interesting lol ! I'm from the U.S. My parents are from Hong Kong - they moved to U.S with their family when they were little teenagers. :)
December 8, 201213 yr Oh dear, I'd get mortified at the prospect of a recording. But it seems to make sense, though. Glad you're enjoying :D Is it about to finish or is it a holiday break?
December 9, 201213 yr Yeah our classes are about to end with final exams this semester, then we get holiday break.
December 10, 201213 yr I can help you if you have some specific doubt (and it's within my sparse knowledge of the language), but I don't think I can teach you French :P
December 10, 201213 yr I'd love to just learn another language. I speak English and very very very little Spanish.
December 11, 201213 yr For those learning French (like me) here are some links I found useful: . French dictionary: http://www.larousse.fr/dictionnaires/francais-monolingue (not only is it helpful to find the meaning of some words but also it has a lot of information regarding grammar rules: expressions, difficulties, conjugations) . Polar FLE: http://www.polarfle.com/ All my teachers are recommending it but I haven't really used it that much. They say it has a lot of exercises and good explanations. . DELF/DALF: http://www.delfdalf.ch/index.php?id=84 For those who are interested in taking the DELF or DALF exams. . I have recently discovered this facebook page, it has a lot of useful videos/pictures that are really helpful to learn some new words: https://www.facebook.com/FrenchPage For example, the other day I was complaining about my lack of knowledge regarding animal names in French and a friend of mine showed me this video from that page:
December 18, 201213 yr Speaking of French: http://leconjugueur.lefigaro.fr/ - conjugation tables ---------- For those learning Chinese: http://www.hanzigrids.com/ - Creates tables for students to practise word order (in conjonction with online dictionaries that provide flash animations with characters' stroke order); generates a pdf file; registration needed http://www.chinese-tools.com/tools/pinyin-editor.html - useful to type diachritics of pinyin, specially third and first tones, which aren't available in avarage keyboards http://www.archchinese.com/chinese_english_dictionary.html - online dictionary; provides animations of stroke order as well as pronunciation http://translate.google.com.br/#zh-CN/zh-TW/ - Google translation tool; useful because you can type pinyin (without stroke order) and select ideograms; transform simplified characters in traditional ones (this specific link is for this purpose); provide sounds - specially useful when you type whole sentences
February 5, 201313 yr For those learning French (like me) here are some links I found useful: . French dictionary: http://www.larousse.fr/dictionnaires/francais-monolingue (not only is it helpful to find the meaning of some words but also it has a lot of information regarding grammar rules: expressions, difficulties, conjugations) . Polar FLE: http://www.polarfle.com/ All my teachers are recommending it but I haven't really used it that much. They say it has a lot of exercises and good explanations. . DELF/DALF: http://www.delfdalf.ch/index.php?id=84 For those who are interested in taking the DELF or DALF exams. . I have recently discovered this facebook page, it has a lot of useful videos/pictures that are really helpful to learn some new words: https://www.facebook.com/FrenchPage For example, the other day I was complaining about my lack of knowledge regarding animal names in French and a friend of mine showed me this video from that page: I find these sites quite useful, thanks.
Create an account or sign in to comment