✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

What the DUCK?!

mc_squared

X-ray reveals how quackers dog swallowed rubber duck... costing owners £1,000 in vet fees

By Daily Mail Reporter

Last updated at 8:55 PM on 29th January 2010

It might not be the prettiest rubber duck in the country, but it's probably the most expensive.

Colin Smith and Lorraine Fenton had to pay more than £1,000 to have the bathroom toy removed from their dog Spike's stomach after he swallowed it whole.

The couple noticed the Patterdale terrier, who is usually a bundle of energy, had become sluggish and lethargic.

article-1247110-0812508F000005DC-861_634x400.jpg Foreign object: An X-ray of Spike the dog's stomach reveals the rubber duck he swallowed whole

Vets could not explain his behaviour until they gave him an X-ray - and it revealed the perfect outline of the duck lodged in his small intestine.

Six-year-old Spike underwent an hour of surgery to remove the offending item, followed by three days of intravenous fluids, pain relief and antibiotics at the practice, before being allowed home.

The treatment cost £1,060.

'We've kept the duck as a memento and it's gone black,' said Mr Smith, 52, a print engineer from Leeds.

article-1247110-081251AB000005DC-954_634x617.jpg Back in action: Six-year-old Spike has fully recovered from the delicate operation to remove the duck

article-1247110-081251F3000005DC-539_306x423.jpg The rubber duck that Spike swallowed is now black after it had started being digested in his stomach

'It used to be luminous yellow but he had obviously started to digest it which stripped away its colour.

'Spike will eat absolutely anything and I think he probably eyed up the duck and thought, "I'm going to have this before anyone can stop me", so he just ate it whole.

'The operation was obviously very expensive, but we didn't even think of the cost.'

Vet Sylvie McQuire, who treated Spike, said: 'To be honest, when we saw the X-ray we couldn't help but laugh about it.

'I just thought, "Oh my God, I can't believe he's eaten that whole".

'But after the initial surprise we knew he had a really risky operation to go through.

'Whenever you are operating on the intestines there is a chance you could contaminate the wound and the pet might not make it.

'A couple of days after the operation Spike was back to his usual naughty, bouncy self.

'He didn't like vets before, so I'm not sure this will have helped, but we were glad to see him back to normal.'

Cute dog. Sexy duck. :charming: :P

That happened with my dog, cept he swallowed a dish towel and it got stuck between his stomach and intestines. My parents were so pissed at the the surgery cost. :\

Are dogs really so stupid that they will eat anything?:dozey: