✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

"Tiger" Tim serves notice of his return to action!

mc_squared

From The Times

1x1.gif

March 23, 2010

Tim Henman to return on ‘Golden Oldies’ tour

From The Times

1x1.gif

March 23, 2010

As Ivan Ljubicic revelled in his finest tournament success at the age of 31 here, Tim Henman, who turns 36 in September, revealed last night that he is to return to competitive tennis this year on the “Golden Oldies” tour.

The former British No 1, Davis Cup stalwart and six-times grand-slam tournament semi-finalist is dusting off his famed Slazengers to compete in the AEGON Masters that starts in November at the Royal Albert Hall, the first step in what may become a longstanding commitment to the ATP Champions Tour.

Henman confesses he has become fidgety about playing again — a scratch golf handicap is not quite enough to satisfy his competitive juices.

Henman used the announcement of his comeback to confirm that he is not interested — yet — in becoming Great Britain’s Davis Cup captain. “It does appeal but the timing is not right,” he said. “I’m sure that getting involved in the development side is something I’ll look to in the future. For now, to start to play tennis again feels like a natural progression and then we’ll see what other opportunities come along.”

After stepping away from tennis in late 2007 having completed a 14-year career of sustained success, but where the opportunity to compete in a grand-slam tournament final eluded him, Henman has become an occasional commentator, committed father to his three daughters, member of the management committee of the All England Club and outstanding amateur golfer.

“I like the balance that I’ve got at the moment,” he said. “I got involved pretty much straight away with the management at Wimbledon and the BBC coverage and I’ve loved those two roles, they have been fantastic. Looking towards the Albert Hall is a good reason to get off my backside, get in the gym and get fitter.

“I saw a lot of the final between [Pat] Rafter and [stefan] Edberg last year, they’re both in great shape and look a lot younger than their years so I’m going to have to work hard to make sure my game matches up.”

The week before the Masters event brings the curtain down on the season, the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals will be played for the second year at the O2 arena, London, and a player not considered at the start of the year as a potential finalist has laid down an impressive marker.

“See you in London,” Riccardo Piatti, Ljubicic’s longstanding Italian coach, smiled as his man celebrated his 7-6, 7-6 victory over Andy Roddick to win the BNP Paribas Open. Like Henman, Ljubicic recognised that if he wanted to challenge the young bucks of the tour he had to get himself into the gym and suffer for his cause.

“I just need to be realistic and try to consolidate the results this week with some other solid weeks, work on my body and make sure I can stay fit and compete,” Ljubicic said.

“I know how difficult it is to beat me, and I’m going to give everybody a hard time. That’s the only thing I can promise right now.”