✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

What's the song Politik about?

abbeee

I've been wondering about one day now what Politik is really about and why he sings "Open up your eyes" in the chorus. I'm just wondering if someone has a clue about it and could help me out! I've watched some society documentaries and I got curious...:P

Hi and welcome to Coldplaying!

Politik was written as a result of 9/11. It's about the state of the world we live in.

I guess every song has it own interpretation by whoever listens to it but to me the phrase 'open up your eyes' symbolize just that - we have to open up our eyes and realize what's going on in the world around us.

Was it really about 9/11? I thought they were in the middle of writing it (or maybe even already finished it), and it just happened to be timely.

EDIT: From Storytellers, right around 5:30, "it's a personal statement of belief" [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNlh7wCtPrw&feature=PlayList&p=D520F7DD1606069A&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=36]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNlh7wCtPrw&feature=PlayList&p=D520F7DD1606069A&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=36[/ame]

The wikicoldplay say's this

Politik is the first song on A Rush of Blood to the Head. The song was written on September 13, 2001. Chris Martin wrote it after the attacks of the World Trade Center in New York City. He confirmed that it was written about the state of the world. The song's rhythm is very banging-like, with silent verses. Politik is frequently played live during almost all their tours since the release, usually as an opener.

Altho in the storytellers Will and Guy couldn't remember if it was done right before or right after cause they were across the pond at the time of the attacks.

holy shit! this completely changes my perspective on this song. i had always had a different interpretation.

while this certainly raises the chris cred in my mind (as if it weren't high enough), i sort of liked how i thought about it. i hope that's not weird as it's now come to light (to me at least) that song is about 9/11. i don't know, i guess there are so many serious serious serious songs that i listen to about that and about the state of the world, and this song never was that for me. so i'm going to keep my original reading.

:\

i read Coldplay; Look at the Stars by Phil O'Brian and he said they wrote it about 9/11....

I always thought it may have been influenced by Chris' views on poverty as well... All though im not sure if it was written before or after he went to Ghana and Hati

I always thought it should be the song for Make Trade Fair

images of starving children.... open up your eyes

dumping of products and wiping out a chance of profit for local farmers ...just open up your eyes

Give me love over, love over this... and Make Trade Fair

This is what the Oxfam Organizer of 2009 imagined the song to be! Her name was Soha...she was telling us how in her head she imagined the song being written by Chris Martin after his visits to Ghana!

i read Coldplay; Look at the Stars by Phil O'Brian and he said they wrote it about 9/11....

I always thought it may have been influenced by Chris' views on poverty as well... All though im not sure if it was written before or after he went to Ghana and Hati

I always thought it should be the song for Make Trade Fair

images of starving children.... open up your eyes

dumping of products and wiping out a chance of profit for local farmers ...just open up your eyes

Give me love over, love over this... and Make Trade Fair