✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The Daily Mail article and other trivia thread

mc_squared

I can't face up to it: 34st Georgia is Britain's fattest teenager again after piling on 16st on her return from weight-loss camp

By Claire Bates

Last updated at 11:42 AM on 1st November 2010

Teenager Georgia Davis impressed the nation when she lost half her body weight at a U.S fat camp last year.

But the morbidly obese 17-year-old has regained her title as 'Britain's fattest teenager' after piling 16 stone back on in 16 months, and now weighs 34st.

The despairing student from Aberdare, south Wales had weighed 33st before going to the Wellspring Academy in North Carolina. While there the 5ft6" teenager dropped 15st in nine months, but soon returned to her old bad habits on returning to the UK last summer.

article-1325509-0BDC664F000005DC-164_634x607.jpg Georgia Davis, from Aberdare in south Wales now weighs 34 stone. She says she finds it difficult to face up to the reality of her size

'I started eating the cheap, bad food I had before,' she told the Daily Star.

'I want to be slim again and it was tough when I realised I'd reached 34 stone.'

In August 2008 a 33st Georgia was told by doctors to 'lose 20 stones or die.'

Spurred into action, Georgia attended a £3,600-a-month diet academy for nine months, during which time she shrank to 18st. She was seen by behavioural coaches, food psychologists and fitness trainers and encouraged to walk 10,000 steps every day.

More...

She returned to the UK in June 2009 to look after her mother Lesley, 55, who has a heart condition.

At the time the energised student was optimistic about her chances of success and vowed to drop a further seven stone.

She said: 'I like my face and I like the way my body is shaped. The world is my oyster and I feel I can achieve anything.'

Susan Boardman, one of the directors from the Academy said she was also confident she would be able to lose the extra weight as she had her eating under control.

article-1325509-0BDC2960000005DC-222_634x415.jpg Georgia Davis, appeared on TV show Good Morning America in 2009 after losing 15st. But the unhappy teenager has since piled it all back on

Rhondda Cynon Taff Local Health Board said measures would be put in place to help her maintain her excellent progress.

But despite her U.S training and the promise of NHS support, Georgia was back up to 28st by April this year.

Her life expectancy, which had leapt to 80-years-old in June 2009, is now back to just 20 years.

The youngster has strenuously defended herself from accusations that she is lazy, although she admits her weight gain is her own fault.

She said at the camp she had been in a controlled environment where she consumed 1,500 calories a day. However, at home she felt isolated as neither her family nor her friends were sticking to a healthy eating plan.

Georgia said she wants more help from the NHS, saying her problem is no different from drug or alcohol addiction.

The troubled teenager said: 'I know I'm probably eating myself to death again but at the moment I can't face up to it.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1325509/34st-Georgia-Britains-fattest-teenager-piles-16st-return-weight-loss-camp.html#ixzz141wQpKdq

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's official - today is the most miserable day of the year!

Today is most miserable day of the year - it's official

By Daily Mail Reporter

Last updated at 8:00 AM on 1st November 2010

article-1325469-06108D73000005DC-670_233x398.jpg Miserable Monday: Long nights and Government cuts are putting Britons in a bad mood, according to a study

Feeling glum? You’re not alone - today is officially the most miserable day of the year.

As temperatures plunge, clocks go back and with government cuts set to bite, millions of Britons are slumping into a gloomy mood, according to a new study out yesterday.

Researchers found that 66 per cent feel depressed as workers around the country struggle to come to terms with the dark winter days.

Glasgow leads the league of miserable cities, followed by Newcastle, Sheffield, Cardiff and London, while the most upbeat people are likely to be found in Southampton, Nottingham, Edinburgh, Liverpool and Leeds.

Nearly half of Britons (47 per cent) claim to hate this time of the year and a further 48 per cent admitted feelings of depression make them feel more tired during the winter months.

Fifty-one per cent of workers admitted they will spending more time in front of the television or computer at home as the nights draw in.

And 13 per cent slump so much in the days following the clocks change that they admit to being less productive at work.

Worryingly for company productivity, 41 per cent admit to spending more time on social media such as Facebook as they adjust to the darker days.

When questioned about exactly what they missed about the summer months, more than half of the 2,000 people surveyed said the long hours of sunlight.

The figures emerged in a study by the Canary Islands tourist board.

Nancy Sorrell, model and travel show presenter, is fronting the tourist board's campaign for Britons to get more light in their life.

She said: 'The winter blues are no joke. They can affect your work performance by making you unable to concentrate and carry out your normal routine, your relationship by affecting your libido, and your social life by making you feel irritable and antisocial.

article-1325469-032FA0D6000005DC-854_468x831.jpg Sunshine campaign: Nancy Sorrell, pictured with husband Vic Reeves, is fronting a campaign for Britons to get more light to lift their mood

'If these all ring bells then you may be a sufferer and should consider ways you can get more light into your life over winter.'

The study also revealed Britons are hitting the bottle in increasing numbers with eight per cent reporting that they drink more alcohol to get through dark days.

Another 26 per cent turn to old fashioned remedies such as cod liver oil, herbal supplements and spirituality to combat the depression that winter can bring.

More than half (56 per cent) said they actively tried to fight the winter blues through methods such as taking medication like vitamin D supplements or experimenting with light therapy.

And nearly 26 per cent of respondents will be booking a foreign holiday to stave off those cold and dark winter mornings.

Miss Sorrell said: 'The results of this survey show that the lack of light during the winter months in the UK does have a major impact on health and productivity.'

Most miserable cities: 1 Glasgow 2 Newcastle 3 Sheffield 4 Cardiff 5 London Least miserable cities: 1 Southampton 2 Nottingham 3 Edinburgh 4 Liverpool 5 Leeds

The PC's guide to arresting a witch

The PC's guide to arresting a witch: It's normal for people to be naked, bound and blindfolded and whatever you do, don't touch their book of spells

By Rebecca Camber

Last updated at 8:35 AM on 1st November 2010

When out pounding the beat for a spell, a policeman never knows when he might bump into a witch.

So it’s best to be prepared – with a 300-page guide which includes instructions on how to deal with members of the pagan community.

The Metropolitan Police has produced a diversity handbook offering officers a range of dos and don’ts when it comes to followers of a range of religions and beliefs, from atheism to Zoroastrianism, druidry and shamanism.

article-1325283-0BD8B612000005DC-838_468x286.jpg Spooky: Witches dress up for Halloween night. Many are vegetarian, according to the police guide

They are advised to avoid touching a witch’s Book of Shadows, or spellbook, and handling the ceremonial dagger known as an athame.

Police are also advised not necessarily to panic if they encounter a person in the nude with hands tied together. The guide states: ‘Some ceremonies include a blindfolded, naked participant, whose hands may be bound.

‘This is in accordance with ritual and has the full consent of the participant.’

On witchcraft, officers are told: ‘Witches have a Book of Shadows, which contains a handwritten record or diary of their personal progress as a witch.

‘Often the books have ornate covers, some have the title Book of Shadows on the cover, some don’t. Any book can be used, but this book is regarded as private and special and should not be touched by anyone but the author.

‘If it is possible to avoid touching this book then it is best to do so. When entering a witch’s home do not touch an athame without the owner’s permission.’

The manual warns officers they may particularly encounter worshippers armed with ceremonial daggers on April 30 and May 1 during Beltane, a fire festival which sees pagan and wicca worshippers celebrate the sun god.

article-1325283-0BD8B304000005DC-380_468x286.jpg Ghoulish: Police officers have been told not to touch a witch's book of spells or their ornamental dagger

article-1325283-0BD83C4A000005DC-531_468x286.jpg Ritual: A reveler plays a drum beside a burning skull during a pagan festival

It goes on: ‘During the Beltane Bash that celebrates the festival of Beltane, it has become a custom for some to wear athames in various sizes, sometimes sword size, on a belt, as a visible symbol of their pagan faith and to wear them in the streets.

‘These are not intended to be used as an offensive weapon but might be misinterpreted as such.’

The guide, which is available for officers on the Met’s internal website, also provides a glossary of pagan terms including the traditional greeting of ‘merry meet’ and an explanation of a ‘wickening’, or child naming ceremony.

It explains the dates and significance of pagan festivals such as Imbolc, Lughnasadh and Samhain – also known as Hallowe’en.

It states: ‘Pagans have no religious dietary laws. However, many, though not all, witches are vegetarians.’

The guide also provides instructions on how to communicate with another little-understood section of the community – teenagers.

It explains slang such as ‘Talk to the hand ’cos the face is in Spain’ means ‘I am not listening’, while ‘da bomb’ means great or excellent.

A Metropolitan Police spokesman said: ‘It’s a resource officers can refer to should they need to but it’s not required reading.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1325283/PCs-guide-arresting-witch-Its-normal-people-naked-blindfolded.html#ixzz1424IrxLF

Nice sadface smiley in the thread title there, but from http://www.coldplaying.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73431

This is ridiculous. Did anyone force him to eat all that junk? People need to start taking responsibility for their own decisions. It's not as if he's a child incapable of making sensible choices.:dozey:

You've just proved my point. He could just as easily have prepared his own inexpensive packed lunch, and then there wouldn't have been a problem.

He made bad choices, probably as result of laziness and lack of discipline.:dozey:

Well as I said, he's an adult and not a child, therefore he should be capable of making an informed decision. If he had been ten years old, he might have had a point.;)

HRMMMMMMMMMMMMM..............

Gissa job!!

'Please give me a job': Desperate teen, 18, takes to the streets with sandwich board begging for work after applying for 80 posts

By Daily Mail Reporter

Last updated at 11:53 AM on 1st November 2010

An unemployed teenager is so desperate for work she has taken to the streets with a sandwich board begging: 'Please give me a job'.

Claire Fear, 18, was forced to ditch her dreams of becoming a dietician because of concern over building up huge debts at university and is now trying for any type of job.

The former health sciences student has applied for more than 80 jobs since finishing her college course in June.

article-1325546-0BDC333A000005DC-309_634x423.jpg Desperate measures: Claire Fear, 18, from Bridgwater, Somerset, has resorted to walking the streets of her home town begging for work

article-1325546-0BDCAD07000005DC-603_306x423.jpg Claire's efforts have echoes of efforts made by the unemployed during the Depression

She has now resorted to walking the streets of her home town of Bridgwater, Somerset, holding a sign pleading with employers to give her a chance.

Claire said: 'There are no jobs and no prospects in this town so I'm having to take matters in my own hands.

'I registered with an employment agency when I finished college, but I have only had a tiny bit of work since then. None of it is full-time.

'I have applied for so many jobs. I did want to be a dietician, but I did not want to go to university - lots of people have told me it is not worth it because of the debts.

'I am desperate for work and I will do pretty much anything.'

Claire left Bridgwater College with a Level 3 BTEC in health sciences this summer and has been searching for work ever since.

In one day alone she visited 50 shops in the town centre asking for a job - but none had any work.

Claire is baffled as to why she is repeatedly rejected but believes she is stuck in a 'catch 22' situation where she does not have sufficient experience for most jobs.

She now spends up to three hours a day walking the streets with her sandwich board.

The idea of using the board came from her mother.

Claire said: 'My mum mentioned doing this as a joke a few weeks ago - I don't think she thought I would take her seriously.

'I have had mostly positive responses from people - one person even pulled over and said he hoped things work out for me. But there have been no job offers.'

article-1325546-0BDC39AC000005DC-3_634x357.jpg Crisis: The teenager has applied for more than 80 jobs since finishing her college course in June

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1325546/Teenager-takes-streets-billboard-begging-work.html#ixzz1425YkrBD

"Skin"credible!!

From garlic to bananas, don't bin the skin: Eating fruit and vegetable peel could combat cancer

By Daily Mail Reporter

Last updated at 8:41 AM on 2nd November 2010

Drop the peeler — ­eating the skins of fruit and ­vegetables could boost your nutritional intake of vitamins, combat cancer and increase your energy levels.

Dr Marilyn Glenville, former president of the Food and Health Forum at the Royal Society of ­Medicine, says: 'All fruit and vegetables have a "bio-synergy", which means the nutritional ­benefits of each part are reinforced by the others.'

And the skin is not the only healthy bit we discard — stalks and cores can also be packed with nutrients.

Here, we reveal the fruit and vegetables you should try to eat whole...

article-1325741-0BDE21AE000005DC-543_233x423.jpg Banana benefits: Eating the skin can ease depression

Kiwi fruit

The hairy skin of the kiwi fruit is high in antioxidants and thought to have ­anti-cancer, anti-inflammatory and anti-­allergenic properties, says Dr Glenville.

‘The skin contains three times the anti­oxidants of the pulp; it also fights off bugs such as Staphylococcus and E-coli, which are responsible for food poisoning.’

HOW TO EAT IT: If regular kiwi skin is too tart for you, opt for ‘gold’ kiwi fruit (£1.99 for four, waitrose.com), which have sweeter, less hairy skins, but with the same benefits. Use the skin if you are juicing the fruit.

Pineapple

Don’t panic — it’s the tough core of the pineapple, not the prickly skin you should be tucking into.

Along with fibre and vitamin C, a pineapple’s real benefit lies in an enzyme called bromelain, which breaks down food and dead human tissues linger in the digestive ­system quickly, ­protecting the stomach.

‘The core of a pineapple contains twice the bromelain concentration of the surrounding fruit,’ says Dr Glenville.

HOW TO EAT IT: Press and crush the core and add the juice to smoothies. It can be stringy, but the left-over pulp can also be added to soups or casseroles for extra fibre.

Broccoli

Those neat little florets look more appealing, but there’s ­every reason to eat the stalks, too.

‘­Broccoli stalks can be less flavourful than the florets, but they are notably higher in calcium and vitamin C,’ says Dr ­Glenville. The stalks are also high in soluble fibre, so you’ll feel fuller for longer.

HOW TO EAT IT: Simply shred the stalks into thin strips and add to stir-fry or serve steamed.

More...

Bananas

Researchers in Taiwan ­discovered banana peel extract can ease depression as it is rich in serotonin, the mood-balancing chemical. The skin was also found to be good for eyes, as it contains the antioxidant lutein which ­protects eye cells from exposure to ultraviolet light — a leading cause of cataracts.

HOW TO EAT IT: The research team advises boiling the peel for ten ­minutes and drinking the cooled water or putting it through a juicer and drinking the juice.

article-1325741-0BD3E982000005DC-293_233x423.jpg Get fruity: Parts of the food we usually discard have cancer combating qualities

Garlic

Garlic skin contains six separate antioxidant compounds, according to research from Japan. ‘Peeling garlic cloves removes the ­phenylpropanoid antioxidants which help fight the ageing ­process and protect the heart,’ explains Dr Glenville.

HOW TO EAT IT: Drizzle olive oil over half or even a whole garlic head, then add to your baking tray when cooking a roast dinner or oven-baked Mediterranean vegetables.

Citrus fruits

Orange and tangerine peel is high in powerful antioxidants called super-flavonoids, which can significantly reduce levels of ‘bad’ LDL cholesterol, without lowering the ‘good’ HDL levels.

The antioxidants obtained from the peel were 20 times more ­powerful than those from the juice, according to a U.S. study.

‘The same goes for all citrus fruits,’ says Dr Glenville. ‘The white pith ­contains high levels of pectin, a component of dietary fibre known to lower ­cholesterol and colonise the gut with beneficial bacteria.’

HOW TO EAT IT: Add grated citrus peel to cauliflower cheese or cakes and muffins for a zesty health kick — or throw the whole, unpeeled fruit into a juicer so you get all the benefits.

Pumpkin, butternut and other squashes

All squashes are high in zinc, which helps promote healthy skin and nails, and the antioxidant beta carotene which protects against heart disease and cancer.

‘The skin itself is obviously too tough to eat, but the closer you scrape it against the skin for the pulp — where it’s more of a rich, orange colour — the more nutrients you’ll get,’ Dr Glenville says.

And don’t ditch the seeds, either — these are an excellent source of Omega 6 and essential fatty acids that keep your brain healthy.

HOW TO EAT IT: Wash the seeds in warm water and bake with a drizzle of olive oil for about 20 minutes. Use to sprinkle on salads and soups.

Potatoes

Most people know potato skins are healthy, but few are aware of the reason why. It’s because the skin is a real nutritional powerhouse. Just one fist-sized potato skin provides half your daily ­recommended intake of soluble fibre, potassium, iron, phos­phorous zinc and vitamin C.

‘Pound for pound, potatoes ­contain more vitamin C than oranges, so are perfect for anyone looking to ward off colds,’ says Dr Glenville.

HOW TO EAT IT: Bake whole as ­jackets, boil and mash with the skin on, or slice into wedges, toss in a ­little olive oil and bake for potato wedges.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1325741/Eating-skin-fruit-vegetables-combat-cancer.html#ixzz147GfP4if

Regular exercise found to ward off the common cold by boosting the immune system

Regular exercise found to ward off the common cold by boosting the immune system

By Daily Mail Reporter

Last updated at 3:26 PM on 2nd November 2010

article-1325882-0BE0A7C7000005DC-712_233x423.jpg People who were active five times a week had cold symptoms for half the time of those who only exercised on one day (posed)

As the evenings draw in, the last thing many of us want to do is brave the outdoors.

But getting out and exercising could be the key to beating those draining winter viruses, according to a new study.

Researchers found people who are fit and active are far less likely to get coughs and sniffles than their less active counterparts.

And even if sporty types do succumb to colds, they are milder and don't last as long.

Research published online in the British Journal of Sports Medicine found the severity of common cold symptoms fell by 41 per cent in those who were the fittest and by 31 per cent among those who were the most active.

People who were physically active on five or more days a week suffered symptoms for almost half the time of those who exercised on only one day of the week or less often.

The researchers from North Carolina in the U.S. said bouts of exercise spark a temporary rise in immune system cells circulating around the body.

Although these levels reduce again within a few hours, each bout of exercise is likely to enhance the body's surveillance of harmful viruses and bacteria which reduces the number and severity of infections, such as the common cold, they said.

More...

They studied 1,000 adults up to the age of 85 whose health was tracked for a 12-week period during the autumn and winter of 2008.

They examined how much aerobic exercise each participant did and rated their fitness levels.

They were also asked about other aspects that can affect the immune system such as lifestyle, diet and recent stressful events.

San Francisco bans Happy Meals

San Francisco bans Happy Meals: Restaurants no longer allowed to give away free toys with unhealthy food

By Daily Mail Reporter

Last updated at 2:42 PM on 3rd November 2010

San Francisco has become the first major U.S. city to pass a law that cracks down on the popular practice of giving away free toys with unhealthy restaurant meals for children.

The move means that the majority of McDonald's Happy Meals, a favourite among kids, can no longer be sold in its current state at McDonald's restaurants in the city.

San Francisco's Board of Supervisors passed the law yesterday on a veto-proof 8-to-3 vote. It takes effect on Dec. 1.

article-1326174-0BE45DBE000005DC-792_468x610.jpg Thing of the past? San Francisco has banned the practice of giving away of free toys with unhealthy restaurant meals such as McDonalds Happy Meals

The law, like an ordinance passed earlier this year in nearby Santa Clara County, would require that restaurant kids' meals meet certain nutritional standards before they could be sold with toys.

Opponents of the law include the National Restaurant Association and McDonald's Corp.

More...

'We are extremely disappointed with today's decision. It's not what our customers want, nor is it something they asked for,' McDonald's spokeswoman Danya Proud said in a statement.

'Getting a toy with a kid's meal is just one part of a fun, family experience at McDonald's,' Proud said.

The San Francisco law would allow toys to be given away with kids' meals that have less than 600 calories, contain fruits and vegetables, and include beverages without excessive fat or sugar.

article-1326174-0BE45BED000005DC-51_233x291.jpg Crack down: The the majority of McDonald's Happy Meals can no longer be sold in their current state in the city

Backers of the ordinance say it aims to promote healthy eating habits while combating childhood obesity.

'Our children are sick. Rates of obesity in San Francisco are disturbingly high, especially among children of colour,' said San Francisco Supervisor Eric Mar, who sponsored the measure.

'This is a challenge to the restaurant industry to think about children's health first and join the wide range of local restaurants that have already made this commitment,' Mar said.

Happy Meals in the hot seat

Fifteen percent of American children are overweight or obese -- which puts them at risk of developing heart disease, diabetes and cancer, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. In some states, the childhood obesity rate is over 30 percent.

The Center for Science in the Public Interest this summer threatened to sue McDonald's if it did not stop using Happy Meal toys to lure children into its restaurants.

TODAY'S POLL

Should fast food outlets be banned from giving away free toys?

Yes

No

VOTE article-999-0BB4D17F000005DC-0_108x76.jpg

POLL RESULTS

Close

All polls Click to view yesterday's poll results

A lawyer for that group said it is on track to file the lawsuit in the next several weeks.

McDonald's debuted the Happy Meal in the United States in 1979 with toys like the 'McDoodler' stencil and the 'McWrist' wallet.

Modern offerings have included themed items from popular films like Shrek or sought-after toys like Transformers, Legos or miniature Ty Beanie Babies.

In 2006, the latest year for which data is available, fast-food companies led by McDonald's spent more than $520 million on advertising and toys to promote meals for children, according to a U.S. Federal Trade Commission report.

When the efforts of other food and beverage companies were included, promotional spending aimed at children topped $1.6 billion.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1326174/San-Francisco-bans-Happy-Meal-toys-unhealthy-foods.html#ixzz14Ekc5srT

'British go to hell': Public gallery erupts as student inspired by Al Qaeda who tried to kill MP is jailed for life

'British go to hell': Public gallery erupts as student inspired by Al Qaeda who tried to kill MP is jailed for life

By Daily Mail Reporter

Last updated at 12:38 PM on 3rd November 2010

A courtroom erupted in protest today after a student who tried to murder a Labour MP was jailed for life with a minimum term of 15 years.

Roshonara Choudhry, 21, stabbed Stephen Timms twice in the stomach after being inspired by a radical Al Qaeda cleric linked to the air cargo bomb plot.

Her attack on the former Treasury minister is thought to be the first Al Qaeda-inspired attempt to assassinate a politician on British soil.

After the sentence was passed, a group of men began shouting in the public gallery 'Allahu akbar' ('God is great'), 'British go to hell' and 'Curse the judge'. A demonstration was also taking place outside the court.

article-1325860-0BE07ECC000005DC-998_306x423.jpg

article-1325860-0BE06A58000005DC-491_306x423.jpg

Choudhry became radicalised after reading literature from radical Al Qaeda cleric Anwar al-Awlaki

article-1325860-0BE07EDA000005DC-193_634x415.jpg Seconds away: Roshonara Choudhry (bottom left hand corner) pulls a knife before plunging it into Labour MP Stephen Timms during a visit to his constituency surgery

Choudhry knifed East Ham MP Mr Timms as he held a constituency surgery at the Beckton Globe community centre in east London on May 14 after watching online jihadi sermons by US-born extremist Anwar al-Awlaki.

Mr Justice Cooke, sentencing Choudhry, said: 'You said you ruined the rest of your life. You said it was worth it. You said you wanted to be a martyr'.

The judge said Choudhry would continue to be a danger to Members of Parliament for the foreseeable future.

The judge said that if Choudhry had succeeded in killing Mr Timms he would have given her a whole-life sentence, meaning she would never be released.

He told her: 'You intended to kill in a political cause and to strike at those in Government by doing so.

'You did so as a matter of deliberate decision-making, however skewed your reasons, from listening to those Muslims who incite such action on the internet.

'You are an intelligent young lady who has absorbed immoral ideas and wrong patterns of thinking and attitudes.

'It is not only possible, but I also hope that you will come to understand the distorted nature of your thinking, the evil that you have done and planned to do, and repent of it.

'You do not suffer from any mental disease. You have simply committed evil acts coolly and deliberately'.

Her sentence came after Britain's security minister urged the U.S. to shut down websites hosting Al Qaeda videos.

Baroness Neville-Jones said websites which try to radicalise members of the public would 'categorically not be allowed in the UK' and would be torn down.

article-1326130-0142508A000004B0-264_306x423.jpg

article-1326130-0BDC5B3A000005DC-805_306x423.jpg

Baroness Neville-Jones, who has called for the removal of websites featuring jihadi sermons, and Labour MP Stephen Timms, who was stabbed by a woman who had been radicalised watching one of these videos

Thousands of postings featuring Awlaki's videos are available to view online.

In one sermon, entitled 44 Ways To Support Jihad, he says: 'Jihad today is obligatory on every capable Muslim'.

The Home Office has confirmed that pressure is being put on the White House to remove the sermons.

In private comments to the Brookings Institute in Washington, obtained by The Daily Telegraph, Lady Neville-Jones said: 'When you have incitement to murder, when you have people actively calling for the killing of fellow citizens and when you have the means to stop that person doing so, then I believe we should act.

article-1325860-0BDAD989000005DC-440_306x423.jpg Anwar al-Awlaki, believed to be based in Yemen, has used his personal website to encourage Muslims around the world to kill U.S. troops in Iraq

'Those websites would categorically not be allowed in the UK.

'They incite cold-blooded murder and as such are surely contrary to the public good.

'If they were hosted in the UK then we would take them down but this is a global problem.'

Student Choudhry told detectives she attacked Mr Timms as a 'punishment' and 'to get revenge for the people of Iraq'.

After her arrest she was revealed to be in possession of a hit list of other politicians who had voted for the war.

The 21-year-old was believed to have been acting alone after becoming radicalised watching online sermons by Awlaki, who has been linked to the cargo plane bomb plot sent from Yemen.

She had been a moderate Muslim student looking forward to a career in teaching before watching the videos.

Awlaki is also thought to be behind a mass shooting at a US army base in Fort Hood, Texas, as well as the failed Deroit underpants bomb plot on Christmas Day last year.

The court heard that Choudhry was a high-flying university student at King's College London who had hoped to become a teacher but dropped out weeks before carrying out the attack.

English language lecturer Alan Fortune said she was an outstanding student who had been expected to achieve a first-class honours degree, and added: 'The world was her oyster'.

Choudhry lived at home with her parents, who were not particularly religious and said to be devastated at her actions, and her four younger siblings.

Today, wearing a black headscarf, she spoke only to confirm her name when she appeared by videolink.

She sat placidly, blinking behind her glasses, as she watched proceedings on a screen in front of her.

Some of the 11 jurors who came back to court to hear the sentencing craned their necks to get their first glimpse of the woman they had already tried and convicted in her absence.

She did not appear for the trial because she refused to recognise the jurisdiction of the court.

article-1325860-0BE06A72000005DC-695_634x286.jpg The knives recovered from Choudhry. She stabbed Mr Timms with the top knife and brought the second weapon as a back-up in case the first broke

After the stabbing, Mr Timms was given first aid before being taken to the Royal London Hospital.

He had suffered two small lacerations to the left of his liver, and a small perforation of the stomach - injuries which could have been life-threatening due to possible loss of blood and infection had he not been treated.

The judge expressed his best wishes to Mr Timms, saying he continued to represent his constituents faithfully 'albeit with heightened security', and referred to the MP's Christian beliefs.

He said: 'I understand that he brings to bear his own faith, which upholds very different values to those which appear to have driven this defendant.

'Those values are those upon which the common law of this country was founded and include respect and love for one's neighbour, for the foreigner in the land, and for those who consider themselves enemies, all as part of one's love of God.

'These values were the basis of our system of law and justice and I trust that they will remain so as well as motivating those, like Mr Timms, who hold public office'.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1326208/Al-Qaeda-inspired-Roshonara-Choudhry-tried-kill-MP-Stephen-Timms-jailed.html#ixzz14ElZewXP

"New" Paul is on the ball...................

Here's one we never saw coming... a successor to the psychic octopus, Paul II

By Daily Mail Reporter

Last updated at 3:43 PM on 3rd November 2010

Barely has the world had a chance to lament the death of Paul the psychic octopus than a successor to his football predicting crown has emerged.

A five-month-old octopus - also named Paul - tentatively explored his new tanks at the Sea Life aquarium in Oberhausen yesterday.

He has yet to turn his tentacles to the tricky art of forecasting results but soccer pundits who enjoyed the original Paul's amazing World Cup predictions waits with bated breath, well almost.

article-0-0BE50627000005DC-373_468x286.jpg Paul II replaces World Cup oracle Octopus Paul, who died last week

Paul hails from near Montpellier in southern France and weighs nearly 10.5 ounces (300 grams); he made his debut after two months in quarantine.

The original Paul correctly predicted the outcome of eight matches at the World Cup, including Germany's victory over England. He died of natural causes last week.

Aquarium manager Stefan Porwoll said he was 'actually supposed to meet his fellow octopus and media star personally and learn from him,' reported news agency DAPD.

The first Paul was hatched from an egg at the Sea Life Centre in Weymouth, Dorset, in 2008 before moving abroad.

article-0-0BE506F7000005DC-215_468x322.jpg It has not yet been decided whether Paul II will follow in his predecessor's wake and predict the results of Euro 2012

He had correctly predicted the results during the World Cup by selecting mussels from boxes draped in the colours of the competing teams.

Though his keepers said he passed away last week, a Chinese filmmaker sparked a conspiracy theory shortly after by claiming that Paul the first had been dead for months.

Jiang Xiao accused bosses at the Sea Life Aquarium in Oberhausen of subterfuge in secretly replacing the octopus with a body double.

She said she was ‘60 to 70 per cent sure’ Paul had died in July – before the World Cup final – and been replaced.

article-0-0BC67C5E000005DC-964_468x307.jpg Paul the Octopus predicting the result of the Germany-England clash at this year's World Cup

However, some believe Jiang may have had alterior motive to her claim, as she is currently developing a film entitled Who Killed Paul The Octopus?

A spokesman for the Sea Life Aquarium in Oberhausen denied her allegations and insisted Paul had died 'a simple and straightforward death of natural causes'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1326249/Paul-psychic-octopus-II-German-aquarium-unveils-successor.html#ixzz14EmCGkH6

Scariest speed camera of all... It checks your insurance, tax and even whether you are tailgating or not wearing a seatbelt

Scariest speed camera of all... It checks your insurance, tax and even whether you are tailgating or not wearing a seatbelt

By Luke Salkeld

Last updated at 7:52 AM on 3rd November 2010

Even the most law-abiding driver might feel a shiver down the spine when spotting this speed camera at the roadside.

For as well as detecting speeding, it is packed with gizmos that check number plates to make sure insurance and tax are up to date.

It also measures the distance between vehicles to spot tailgating and takes pictures of the inside of the car – to make sure you are wearing a seat belt.

article-0-0BE214CC000005DC-879_468x633.jpg

The latest weapon in speed camera technology can capture footage from 150ft away.

It is the first to detect multiple offences at the same time and is connected to police computers via satellite, so that prosecutions can be started within seconds of any offence.

Development of the system, known as Asset – Advanced Safety and Driver Support for Essential Road Transport – is being funded with around £7million of European money.

More...

It is undergoing testing in Finland and is expected to be deployed across Europe from 2013, with each unit costing £50,000.

Motoring organisations gave it a mixed reception. AA president Edmund King said: ‘Tailgating is more dangerous in most cases than speeding so I think most motorists would welcome it.

'But it needs to be a safety measure, not a money-making machine.’

Campaign group Speed Cameras Dot Org said the device should not become a replacement for traffic police.

article-0-0BE2156C000005DC-143_233x323.jpg

A spokesman said: ‘We cautiously welcome a device that can detect several potential offences, but it remains to be seen how accurate it is and how fairly it will be used.

‘It’s a pity that the main actions that cause the most accidents, namely not paying attention to the road, misjudging distances and other drivers’ intentions, cannot be detected by a device of any sort.

‘More police patrols and better driver education are the only ways to reduce accidents.’

The Asset test project is running until December 2011 with the aim of improving traffic safety.

The ‘Big Brother’-style set-up takes various pictures before filing details back to a central database via a GPS system. The equipment automatically destroys images over a month old and those in which no traffic violation is evident.

Its testing comes at a time when the Government has cut central funding for speed cameras and reduced the road safety budget by £38million.

The Asset camera is being tested by the VTT Technical Research Centre in Finland. It is currently mounted on a trailer but it is eventually expected to be converted to fit inside police vehicles.

Matti Kutila, senior research scientist at VTT, said: ‘The main intention is to support traffic police so that drivers follow traffic rules such as wearing seat belts, keep to the speed limit and maintain sufficient distance to the vehicle in front.

‘This, of course, is beneficial for road safety.’

Britain currently has separate cameras to detect speeding, tax and insurance violations, but Asset is the first to be able to spot a number of offences.

One of the first counties in the country to switch off its speed cameras is to turn them back on again – after speeding soared.

Oxfordshire deactivated its 72 fixed and 89 mobile units on August 1 after the county council withdrew its funding to Thames Valley Safer Roads Partnership.

Shortly afterwards the partnership claimed the number of drivers speeding past deactivated cameras had increased by up to 88 per cent.

Yesterday it emerged that the police and council were nearing a deal to turn all the cameras back on.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1326035/Speed-camera-checks-insurance-tax-wearing-seatbelt.html#ixzz14Eu6tmFQ

New York to Sydney in just 2hrs 30mins?

New York to Sydney in just 2hrs 30mins: Nasa to develop 'hypersonic' passenger jets that travel at five times the speed of sound

By Daniel Bates

Last updated at 7:02 AM on 5th November 2010

NASA is planning to build hypersonic jets that will fly through the Earth’s atmosphere and slash flight times around the world to a few hours at most.

The US space agency wants to manufacture a craft that would travel at five times the speed of sound and bring in a new age of aircraft akin to a turbo-charged Concorde.

Travelling at such speed would reduce the flight time from New York to Sydney to around two-and-a-half hours, from the 21 hours it is now.

The project is thought to be aimed at making a reusable aircraft that could fly to Mars but, as with previous space technology, it could have a huge impact upon passenger transport too.

article-1326618-017CBAFA0000044D-378_468x286.jpg NASA's experimental X-43A scramjet aircraft which is capable if reaching almost seven times the speed of sound

Under the NASA Aeronautics 2010 proposal, the space agency will allocate $5million per year for the next three years to make the new aircraft a reality.

The aim is to create something which can carry passengers through the atmosphere, descend and land safely before being reused.

According to the proposal, engineers will look into ‘entry, descent and landing of high-mass vehicles entering into planetary atmospheres’ and ‘airbreathing access to space’

NASA is also aware of the many challenges it faces to build such a machine.

The proposal says: ‘The hypersonic heating environment, coupled with the emphasis on reusability, creates additional severe technology challenges for materials, material coatings, and structures that not only carry the aerodynamic loads of the air but also repeatedly sustain high thermal loads requiring long-life and durability while minimizing weight.

‘Space access launch vehicles must be lightweight, fully reusable and easily maintained if low-cost access to space is to be achieved.’

Hypersonic aircraft is still a fairly new concept and follows on from Concorde, which flew at Mach 2, or twice the speed of sound.

A hypersonic aircraft would reach Mach 5, or five times the speed of sound.

In June this year an experimental scramjet aircraft set a record for hypersonic flight, blazing through the air for more than three minutes at Mach 6, or more than 4,500 mph.

The X-51A Waverider scramjet was released from a B-52 bomber last week before its engine took it to Mach 6 and it flew autonomously for 200 seconds.

Scramjets work by using oxygen rushing in through the engine at supersonic speeds to ignite hydrogen fuel.

In October Richard Branson’s Virgin Galactic SpaceShipTwo completed its solo maiden flight after being carried aloft by its mothership to an altitude of 45,000ft and released over the Mojave Desert.

Built by famed aircraft designer Burt Rutan, the craft aims to be the first opportunity for space tourism at something close to an affordable price - tickets cost $200,000 (£125,000).

The craft is based on a prototype that won a $10million (£6.3million) prize in 2004 for being the first manned private rocket to reach space.

The six-passenger ship will undergo rigorous testing before it can carry tourists to space.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1326618/Nasa-develop-hypersonic-jets-travel-5-times-speed-sound.html#ixzz14OYkSBsM