The Daily Mail article and other trivia thread

mc_squared

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Luckiest baby alive?

Baby girl falls from fourth-floor hotel balcony and SURVIVES... after she drops into the arms of a passing British tourist

By Daily Mail Reporter

Last updated at 9:13 AM on 22nd April 2011

A baby girl survived a terrifying fall from a fourth-floor hotel balcony thanks to a Good Samaritan who caught her as she plummeted towards the ground.

Jah-Nea Myles, just 16-months-old, landed in the arms of British tourist Helen Beard, after she rushed to save the little girl when she spotted her dangling from the balcony railings at her Florida hotel.

She hit the third-floor railing on the way down, but miraculously survived without so much as a bruise. She was even described as 'playful' afterwards.

article-1379442-0BBA8AC000000578-199_468x286.jpg Narrow escape: Jah-Nea Myles fell from the fourth-floor balcony of this Florida hotel - into the arms of a British tourist

Her 20-year-old mother, Helena, said: 'I'm thanking the Lord above right now for saving my child's life. I'm also thanking that lady because she was an angel sent from heaven.'

A spokesman for Orange County Sheriff's Office described it simply as 'a miracle.'

Jah-Nea's narrow escape happened late on Wednesday night, when she was being looked after by her mother's friend Dominique Holt in an adjoining room at the Econo Lodge Hotel in Orlando.

article-1379442-0BBA8AB200000578-400_233x350.jpg Terror: This hotel guest heard a lot of screaming and said 'You knew something was wrong'

Miss Holt, who admitted the door may have been left open a crack, said Jah-Nea must have crept out when she went to use the bathroom, then managed to slip through railings on the balcony.

Mrs Beard, 44, told deputies she was by the pool at around 11pm when she looked up and saw a child hanging from the fourth-floor railing.

She ran underneath the child in the hope of saving her and watched as Jah-Nea fell, hitting the third-floor railing on the way down.

As other tourists screamed, Mrs Beard held out her arms and caught the little girl.

According to Reuters, Jah-Nea slipped out of her arms and hit the ground, but then Mrs Beard picked her up and held her until paramedics arrived.

Meanwhile her mother heard screaming and rushed out to the balcony. She looked down to see her daughter in Mrs Beard's arms.

Miss Holt also heard the screams and ran out of the bathroom to find the door on to the balcony was slightly ajar.

Denise Rollins, a spokesman for Orange County Sheriff's Office, said Jah-Nea was 'playful' after the fall, and was taken to Arnold Palmer Hospital as a precaution.

article-1379442-0BBA8AC700000578-929_468x298.jpg Holiday miracle: The little girl fell from the fourth-floor balcony of the Econo Lodge Hotel in Orlando, Florida

Mrs Myles said: 'She's perfectly fine. Not a scratch on her body.'

A witness said: 'It was a lot of screaming. You knew something was wrong - something major, major was wrong.'

Jah-Nea and her mother live in Longwood, Florida, but they were staying at the hotel on holiday. They were joined by Miss Holt, a friend from North Carolina, who was staying in the room next-door with a friend.

But Mrs Myles said she wasn't blaming her. She said: 'I'm not upset with anyone. I've had it out with my friends. But other than that, I'm thanking God right now that my child's here.'

The Florida Department of Children and Families are investigating, but no criminal charges were pending as of Thursday morning.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1379442/Tourist-Mary-Beard-catches-baby-girl-tumbles-hotel-balcony-fourth-floor.html#ixzz1KEwjCWjl

A VERY Happy Meal: Teenager scoops a £500,000 jackpot after eating his first Big Mac!

Happy Meal: Teenager scoops a £500,000 jackpot after eating his first Big Mac

By Daily Mail Reporter

Last updated at 11:26 AM on 23rd April 2011

A teenager got more than he bargained after he popped into McDonald's for his first Big Mac and walked away with £500,000.

Shocked Josh Sargeant, 17, hit the jackpot after taking part in the food chain's Monopoly Game in which participants have to collect different stickers.

Players receive 'streets' with their food and drink meals and qualify for prizes by collecting matching sets.

article-0-0BBCE69300000578-389_468x600.jpg Josh Sargeant walked away with £500,000 after becoming the the youngest top prize winner in the McDonald's Monopoly promotion

The lucky teen had been given Park Lane and completed the set after finding a 'Mayfair' sticker on his soft drink.

Josh, who owns his own business, said: 'I was just out with my friends and we all wanted something to eat so we headed to our local McDonald's.

More...

'I had never had a Big Mac meal before - I had no idea that eating one would change my life completely.

'My mates and I have played the McDonald's Monopoly game before and I knew that finding Mayfair meant you win the big prize.

'So when I peeled off the ticket from my Fanta and saw Mayfair I literally couldn't believe it. Everyone I was with just went crazy - but I was in a state of shock.'

Josh, from Boston, Lincolnshire, recently started his own gardening business and has decided to seek financial advice so he can invest the money to try and make it into a successful enterprise.

'Nothing like this has ever happened to me before, and I am determined to use the money to help build something for my future,' he said.

article-0-0BBCE63300000578-455_468x314.jpg Josh outside the McDonald's in Bolton, Lincolnshire

'I already set up a small gardening business a few months ago which I am really enjoying and I have been looking into getting some advice from a young enterprise programme to see how I can use this money to make this business as successful as possible.

'Something like this only happens once in a lifetime so I know how lucky I am and I am really looking forward to the future.'

McDonald's franchisee Martin Cuthbert, who owns six restaurants in the area including the one where Josh became a winner, said: 'I am delighted to see the prize go to a young person like Josh who is such a deserving winner and everyone in the restaurant is really excited for him.

'We wish him the best of luck with all his plans for the future.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1379847/Happy-Meal-Teenager-scoops-500-000-jackpot-eating-McDonalds.html#ixzz1KLbUJYwq

• 4 months later...
  • 3 years later...