✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

State of emergency in Tunisia

Darlene_Ihnfsa

Tunisia's President Zine al-Abidine Ben Ali has stepped down after 23 years in power, amid widespread protests on the streets of the capital Tunis.

In a televised address, Prime Minister Mohammed Ghannouchi said he would be taking over from the president.

A state of emergency was declared earlier, as weeks of protests over economic issues snowballed into rallies against Mr Ben Ali's rule.

Unconfirmed reports say Mr Ben Ali and his family have left Tunisia.

The reports suggest that the deposed president is looking for a place of asylum, with French media saying that French President Nicolas Sarkozy has turned down a request for his plane to land in France.

Earlier, police fired tear gas as thousands of protesters gathered outside the interior ministry.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12195025

Tunisia: President Zine al-Abidine Ben Ali forced out

Tunisia's President Zine al-Abidine Ben Ali has stepped down after 23 years in power, amid widespread protests on the streets of the capital Tunis.

In a televised address, Prime Minister Mohammed Ghannouchi said he would be taking over from the president.

A state of emergency was declared earlier, as weeks of protests over economic issues snowballed into rallies against Mr Ben Ali's rule.

Unconfirmed reports say Mr Ben Ali and his family have left Tunisia.

The reports suggest that the deposed president is looking for a place of asylum, with French media saying that French President Nicolas Sarkozy has turned down a request for his plane to land in France.

Earlier, police fired tear gas as thousands of protesters gathered outside the interior ministry.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12195025

thank you Beatriz for this thread.

I am totally concerned by what is happening in Tunisia as i'm Tunisian.

i'm proud of my country and of its people and specially i'm proud of Mohamed Bouazizi ( God bless him) he is our savior.

b162b66foh-bouazizi-580x338.jpg

may Allah welcome him to the paradise and all the other martyrs.

we won our liberty by our hands and thanks to no one else, the power of the people, we won in a country which was full of discrimination and censorship, we won our liberty in despite of the dictatorship led the murderer ben ali, we won against the family Trabelsi ( a mafia family), we won our dignity, we finally won our country.

I'M FULL OF JOY, I'M TOO PROUD OF MY COUNTRY, this a RENEWAL for all TUNISIANS!!!

ben ali left Tunisia for good, he and his wife are in the Saudi Arabia and others here in France.

some members of the family Trabelsi are arrested in Tunisia.

ohh really!

so what are they protesting for?

so politically what will happen now there?

when are next elections?

new laws will be done?

well now Ben Ali is dismissed for, the ministers engaged an interim president for maximum 6 months until the official presidential election, this time we'll make sure that it is going to be organised by the citizens without any forces corruptions .

In fact the country is still maintained by the CDR ( Constitutional Democratic Rally), a political party organised by Ben Ali, but us, the people dosen't want this CDR anymore, as 6 of the current ministers belong to that party. Those 6 members were teached by Ben Ali so they surely have the same political view as him.

ohh really!

so why are they protesting for?

well now Ben Ali is dismissed for, the ministers engaged an interim president for maximum 6 months until the official presidential election, this time we'll make sure that it is going to be organised by the citizens without any forces corruptions .

In fact the country is still maintained by the CDR ( Constitutional Democratic Rally), a political party organised by Ben Ali, but us, the people dosen't want this CDR anymore, as 6 of the current ministers belong to that party. Those 6 members were teached by Ben Ali so they surely have the same political view as him.

well our regional goverment which is different party than the national goverment got their budget cut so had been forced to cut the money for civil servants/teachers, so those are protesting cause they don't agree with it, and got to insult the governors families and they were with banners asking to damage them (something like the Palin-Tucson thing).

anyways the regional goverment people got hitted, in fact one of them was in hospital cause some people catched him by surprise when getting into his home and hitted his face (he was close to lose an eye), so no doubt both parties are fighting about it now, putting each other as the one to blame... it feels a bit tense in my area, and i don't know how all that will end :|

ah i see, but do Tunisia had different parties right? why he got re-elected that many times if he's done really bad things there?

well those 6 had to be if the law says so i guess even if people dislike it.

good luck with elections and i hope things go better for the country.

it really may affect the tourism there and so the economy and job.

hum, it is quite different from our case... we've been treated like idiots for 10 years now.

here's the story...

Ben Ali got elected 23 years ago, in his early years as a president, he was a model president, everything was fine until he got married to Leyla Trabelsi ( his actual wife). Gradually she was infecting his political views until she convince him to limitated the the liberty of the people, indeed they were obliged by force to re-elect him again and again, no one can protest this facts otherwise they'll go to jail or even be chased away from the country. There they started the Stalinian model, the cult of the chairman, propaganda, a censored press.

while all these changes, madam Leyla Trabelsi creating her mafia "Trabelsi Mafia", she entered all her family in the most important places in politics which can provide them all power to loot the people.... with all the money they win using their mafia network were created new association new banks, new hostels, new luxury villas in Europe (Paris, Switzerland, Belgium..), USA, Latin America, Asia ( they own an island from those artificial islands in Dubai)...

their network mafia is controlling all the sponsors of the country, banks, hostels, monuments, every material-goods in Tunisia is controlled, and they have a huge percentage on them.

they're all hiding like rats. but the Army catched 33 members of the mafia...

still wa can't get Ben Ali and Leyla.

but we'll get them one day.

unfortunately yes, it will affect Tourism...but from yesterday eveything is back to normality, people are working, students will be back to school on monday...thought there still are demonstrations against the CDR. :)

i see, that was really bad that he's been cutting rights, controlling information and forcing people to follow just one view. is no democratic at all.

i hope things go better and elections be fair and clair. i hope fair democracy last long there.

thought sadly in many countries when a politician -no matter their party colour- keeps in power for that long use to be that controlling and dictatorial.

are tunisians having any referendum to decide which state system they want?

are the restricted rights returning to the people already?

will all that mafia branches disappear?

i heard she 'stole' gold and i personally bet it'll affect the country economy :\