✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

New York smoking ban extended to parks and coastlines

busybeeburns

_51078585_010913712-1.jpg

The ban is set to impose some of the toughest anti-smoking measures in a major city

New York smoking ban extended to parks and coastlines

Some of the toughest anti-smoking measures to be adopted in a major city have been approved by councillors in New York.

The measures are set to extend a smoking ban to municipal parks, beaches and even Times Square. The ban will take effect three months after it is signed by New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg. It will make it an offence to light up in any of the city's 1,700 parks and along 14 miles (23km) of coastline.

"This summer, New Yorkers who go to our parks and beaches for some fresh air and fun will be able to breathe even cleaner air and sit on a beach not littered with cigarette butts," Mr Bloomberg said after the 36-12 vote. The ban is set to encompass pedestrian areas like the one in Times Square.

It will give the city's Parks Department the power to impose fines similar to those used for minor offences like begging or public urination. They carry fines of under $100 (£62). But the city expects the law to be primarily self-enforced, relying on residents to tell anyone lighting up in a park on a beach that it is illegal, one councillor said. Police will not be responsible for enforcing it, she added.

However, some of those councillors who voted against the measures denounced them as an infringement on individual rights. "I truly believe government is being too restrictive in his particular matter," said Robert Jackson, a Harlem Democrat. "It's a totalitarian society that's going to have this type of restrictions."

Smoking was banned in New York's bars and restaurants nearly a decade ago. Smoking is also prohibited in Los Angeles city parks and in Chicago parks with playgrounds.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-12352935

I'm so torn on these bans. As a smoker, I know it's a nasty habit, and I really do enjoy concerts and restaurants more since the ban took effect here. But it's starting to get ridiculous. Cities count on their sin taxes, but the people paying those taxes are more and more restricted in the use of the heavily taxed product. Guess it's a good thing; should quit anyway and keep my money, right?

Interesting, I assumed it already would have been banned in those areas. Well, at least at the beach anyway by default, because people putting their cigarette butts in the sand would be considered littering and that's illegal.

I understand the frustration from smokers, but I can also appreciate the point of view of the non-smokers (me). Even with the laws recently adopted in Michigan, I still can't entirely escape it. Whenever I'm at a stoplight and the driver of the car in front of me is smoking with their window down, even if I have all of my windows up the smell still gets in my car through the ventilation system. And that smoky smell sticks to me no matter what.

^^^

Yeah.

But theyll also continue setting aside federal cash for tobacco farmers, then will need to shift the taxes onto candy bars. Our next kit kats could reach $7! J/K

Personally, I'd appreciate a public ban on cheap cologne. Always gives me sneezing fits. Damn you, Aqua Velva!

^^^

Yeah.

But theyll also continue setting aside federal cash for tobacco farmers, then will need to shift the taxes onto candy bars. Our next kit kats could reach $7! J/K

The way the obesity epidemic is going, that might not be such a bad thing!:P