✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Do you think religion does more good or harm for the world?

the_gloaming09

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the harm comes more from the difference in beliefs and not religion itself.

/failed at making sense and will probably get flamed

I would argue that religions are set up in a way that doesn't accept anything but their own ideals. The only reason they get on so peacefully (and they do, when you bare in mind how it used to be when people took things more literal and Religion had a greater grip) is because people have a greater reason and rational, or they have not mixed with other people from other religions yet.

I don't think the problem is religion, but the attitudes and interpretations of the religious people and they way they use it if that makes sense.

Having sex before marriage or being gay does not mean you're going to hell at all by the way, it bothers me that people think breaking a commandment and such leads to hell.

I know what you mean Crests... it's more about conflicts over belief differences

Con-Religion:

Personally I feel that it does mostly harm but some good. It's mostly because of beliefs that we have so many conflicts (especially the middle east, and Israel) because of sacred lands or monuments, based on stories written by man. So many millions throughout history have been killed not only from conflicts but human sacrifices. I mean you had religions like the aztecs that would kill people in fear that the sun wouldn't rise. Now you have radical islamics that want to kill people unless they convert.

I also see it being a bad thing because it makes people completely ignorant and prejudiced towards other people. For example womens rights are taken away in religions like Islam women are required to cover almost all of their body, and also it is illegal to kill a woman that's a virgin, so if a woman who is a virgin commits a crime (may be as stupid as not wearing a veil or being with your husband) she can't be killed so she is raped then killed.

It's also ignorant in terms of rights for same-sex couples. Yes the scripture makes it a taboo thing, but from a humane level is it really so wrong for people of the same gender to get married? What harm does it honestly do? You have priests preaching this, yet behind the scenes they are molesting and raping children... they should be put in jail but of course they aren't because they are a "man of god"... as to whatever the hell that means.

Also the ignorance towards science and facts. I mean to teach children about creationism, that the world was 6,000 years old and that there was a talking snake... from a rational perspective does it make any sense? It's almost like stating that mother goose rhymes are fact and humpty dumpty was a real living egg that had the misfortune of falling. A lot of the stories are just ridiculous stories, and I don't see how people can take them seriously. but people want to teach these things as facts. Plus evolution (though it has some holes) is the most rational explanation towards our existence and creation.

Pro-Religion

I think that religion can be good for certain people in the sense that it is a comforting thing to have in times of dispair. It's something that people can use to lean on to. Especially when there's the loss of a loved one it's good to believe in religion or a God because you want to hope that that person is in a better place and is no longer in any pain, and lastly that you hope you might be able to see them someday.

Religion was also good because at the time when things could not be explained (diseases, natural disasters, astrology, weather) that they turned to god being the source.

I think also for unfortunate people who did not have good parents or a good childhood it is something good because it gives an overall basis for trying to get people to do the right thing.

I think most importantly the writings of these religions are good because they are good stories that are supposed to have a good moral of the story at the end.

....sorry for the long post

I think it did more good. It unified so many tribes and groups of people. . . without religion we'd be a much different society, and most likely we wouldn't be so advanced.

I'm personally pro-religion, but on now it's kind of hard to say if it's good or bad, with so many people dying because others can't agree on their religion.

religion can act as an outlet for people to be horrible to each other

without religion, people would still be horrible to each other, just horrible through different means. same deal goes for being good, I think.

so it's neutral.

I'd argue that people might treat each other better without it. Especially if there isn't say any afterlife, people might take life more seriously and treat their fellow neighbor better.

I think though you are partially right in that humans typically act wicked towards each other, but I believe that strong convictions towards religion don't help the situation much.

It stems a long way back too. Religion has been used to scare everybody and there's no telling how much trauma and sexual repression are at the hands of religion - and I mean religion, not just the people but the texts. People told their family have gone to hell, whether it was their parents who hadn't been cleansed of their sins before death, or whether it is their unborn child who died in the womb without baptism. People told they would go blind if they masturbated. People told that their love was not natural and were persecuted.

And there has always been an alternative to religion, I just feel sorry for those it wasn't available to.

An inner morality doesn't need to be taught through religion, and all the negative aspects it brings. There are good and bad people with religion. there are good and bad people without religion. I doubt that the people who are pious and true to the loving side of their religion would become animals without it. In fact, they would be pretty much the same people. Good people. The only major effect it can have, in my opinion, is negative, as they already have the groundings of goodness within them which wasn't put there using shock tactics, fear and persecution.

I think it did more good. It unified so many tribes and groups of people. . . without religion we'd be a much different society, and most likely we wouldn't be so advanced.

I'm personally pro-religion, but on now it's kind of hard to say if it's good or bad, with so many people dying because others can't agree on their religion.

I disagree and don't have the time to explain why tonight.

It is holding the human race back and has continually stood in the way of scientific discovery. Many basic facts have been denied for religion for as long as possible, and that includes all the major religions. Then, when the facts become too much they simply say God did it. Before they reach that stage it all boils down to superstition and voodoo.

Kelsie your post uses so many of the same words as mine. xD

We always write the same thing in threads. :|

twins4lyf?

I agree... though I feel a lot of things within scriptures are harmful (for example the treatment of women, slaves, homosexuals, non-following people).

Not to sound... cheesy, but Jesus hung out with the most despised sinners and treated women with more respect than most men did during that time, no?

The problem I have with these explanations you guys have is that you're lumping all the religions together.

I figured it would be better if I didn't just stick to one religion, since people usually moan that I am treating Christianity as the only religion, but all religions have shown sexism, homophobia and an inability to mix with other religions. The evidence is within history and also within their writings. I don't have time to find examples now as I'll be sleeping soon, but if you do a little research I'm sure you'll see.

It stems a long way back too. Religion has been used to scare everybody and there's no telling how much trauma and sexual repression are at the hands of religion - and I mean religion, not just the people but the texts. People told their family have gone to hell, whether it was their parents who hadn't been cleansed of their sins before death, or whether it is their unborn child who died in the womb without baptism. People told they would go blind if they masturbated. People told that their love was not natural and were persecuted.

And there has always been an alternative to religion, I just feel sorry for those it wasn't available to.

An inner morality doesn't need to be taught through religion, and all the negative aspects it brings. There are good and bad people with religion. there are good and bad people without religion. I doubt that the people who are pious and true to the loving side of their religion would become animals without it. In fact, they would be pretty much the same people. Good people. The only major effect it can have, in my opinion, is negative, as they already have the groundings of goodness within them which wasn't put there using shock tactics, fear and persecution.

I agree. I think that too many people have been suppressed in many ways but a lot of it being sexually. It seems like it's always been taboo to bring it up, though it's just a natural human function. I see a lot of it is just a way to control people and tell them you have to live by these exact rules or else you'll burn forever. It's completely insane, and if that's the case then I'd say pretty much everyone is going to burn, because I seriously doubt that publically people would admit to doing many of these things that are considered evil.

I do feel sorry because it's also like the witch trials, you had people hanged because they didn't believe in god or a religion. Same goes with the huge conflict between the protestants and catholics in Ireland too. All over what they interpret a book written by man to be.

I do though agree regardless there are good as well as bad people in the world regardless of religion.

I disagree and don't have the time to explain why tonight.

It is holding the human race back and has continually stood in the way of scientific discovery. Many basic facts have been denied for religion for as long as possible, and that includes all the major religions. Then, when the facts become too much they simply say God did it. Before they reach that stage it all boils down to superstition and voodoo.

I also agree. Even things that are scientifically proven are not believed by people because it was written in a book. Or even more hilarious is that the church will change their mind. If there came a message from an all divine power like God, don't you think there wouldn't be a reason to change?

At least the church is willing to say they were wrong and take hold of scientific advancements, though at not as such a huge rate as perhaps they should.