✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Do you think religion does more good or harm for the world?

the_gloaming09

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think if you got rid of religion there would be a lot less people who were so servile and paralysed. True they would still be bound by fear from their dictators, but they would not ignore the chance to attempt change and revolution based on the fact that the person in power has a holy connection and is therefore untouchable, and questioning them would lead to them going to hell. This viewpoint is still around today thanks to the cult of personality many leaders have created.

yeah exactly. and thats why religion is "sometimes harmful". it is used and absued by many political leaders to instill fear in their people. but thats in tandem with their military power, not alone. recent events is testament to the fact that in many parts of the world, this god-based oppression is no longer as paralysing as it once was.

And yes, many people are bad so getting rid of religion wouldn't solve all the problems. It would be a start though, and it certainly would be interesting to see people actually expressing themselves for a change.

as much as it would be a step forward it would be a step backwards. there are countless people around the world on whom religion has had a very positive life changing impact. there are people out there who were destined for a life of crime and immorality but found peace in their faith. for every person who misuses their faith there is another who does good with it. most charities are founded in the church and most of our laws and human rights are derived from the holy books of mainstream religions. sadly these religious customs have been bastardised by certain cultures over time.

was there ever a time in human history when we didn't have any religions? was there ever a time when people didnt believe in some higher supernatural power? i think its simply a part of our dna and instead of trying to eliminate it, i think we would be much better off aiming to utilise it in a positive way, like it was originally intended.

yeah exactly. and thats why religion is "sometimes harmful". it is used and absued by many political leaders to instill fear in their people. but thats in tandem with their military power, not alone. recent events is testament to the fact that in many parts of the world, this god-based oppression is no longer as paralysing as it once was.

Let's hope so.

as much as it would be a step forward it would be a step backwards. there are countless people around the world on whom religion has had a very positive life changing impact. there are people out there who were destined for a life of crime and immorality but found peace in their faith. for every person who misuses their faith there is another who does good with it. most charities are founded in the church and most of our laws and human rights are derived from the holy books of mainstream religions. sadly these religious customs have been bastardised by certain cultures over time.

was there ever a time in human history when we didn't have any religions? was there ever a time when people didnt believe in some higher supernatural power? i think its simply a part of our dna and instead of trying to eliminate it, i think we would be much better off aiming to utilise it in a positive way, like it was originally intended.

Religion itself has never been the problem - it's the people who have used it as a "weapon" to manipulate and control the masses that are to blame.

There are also those who have simply used it as a "convenient excuse" to wage war on other groups of people.

If religion wasn't there, they would simply find another "excuse".

It's all down to human nature, not beliefs.

I would say that it was easier to enforce many years ago, and superstition was rife, but eventually you see past things. If you still do the things that we did in the primitive years then we wouldn't be where we are now. It's time to take off the shackles and move forward as quickly as possible, for our own benefit. I take your point on it being useful in the past in some respect, but I maintain that those people had the potential to do good without religion but didn't have the chance. The fact they did do well using religion works in its favour though I admit. As for the future, however, I would like to think that people are starting to become educated enough not to stick by these things and realise the beauty in the world, alongside the bad things and strive to be good people out of conscience and empathy. You do not need religion for that. Forcing people to do things through fear is not a good strategy anyway. It isn't healthy and it restricts freedom. Therefore I doubt it is part of our DNA. After all, it isn't in everybody's. It was a lack of understanding of the world around them (not their fault of course) which was jumped on by false prophets and manipulators.

It will take a long time to happen, and I wouldn't want it to happen overnight as there would be turmoil, but a gradual process of movement away from organised religion would be a positive step, through an education of the world around them and still with the opportunity to be part of religions too (something religion didn't allow when they held all the cards). Then you would hope that with greater awareness they would come to a sane conclusion.

It's all down to human nature, not beliefs.

I'm afraid I disagree. The belief system is flawed as it works in the sense that it breaks people down, makes them feel worthless without the god and then explains what they need to do to gain his/her favour. Anything that instructs a person how to live, in areas that don't affect others (so I'm not talking about not instructing a criminal not to commit crimes of course) and that is forced through dogmas with the threat of eternal damnation is certainly a problem. This is what they are taught to believe, and therefore I see it that there is a problem with the belief system.

Guest howyousawtheworld

I see what you're saying Braddock and you are saying it well but you have to realise that there are factions of say Christianity where science discovery is always accepted and that many accounts in the Bible are metaphorical not to be taken literally. They are grounded Christians who merely follow the word of Christ. I'm not one of them but I know many in my family are. Now I wish all religions could find a way of adapting Science like the more liberal accepted factions of Christianity do but sadly that's not the case. Religion doesn't get in the way of science though. Budget cuts and government policy might but religion doesn't stop science. I think a failure of modernisation is something in religion that is a big problem. Whether it's conservative Christianity or on a more larger scale, Islam, they continue to abide by rules and laws AND religious scripture that is horrifically out of date. I mean what sort of backward society do we live in where women are treated as 3rd rate citizens or a deserved fiery death awaits if you don't accept God made all this in 6 days...and all in the name of religion. They are dangerous people

Fair point. I feel that these more liberal factions of Religion wouldn't have come about had Religion not lost its grip, and it's more in the past that it had the power to stop science. I do still think that religion has a direct effect on how people view certain things as much of the time it appears they have been programmed to behave in certain ways. For example less religious states tend to have some very different laws than religious states after all (even when confining this to countries which don't have religious laws explicitly), so it can be seen that religion still does play a role, even if it is only because of how ingrained it has become.

I do agree that it is good to see more liberal factions, and they are welcomed in my eyes, though hopefully as part of a transition away from the major religions. If not, then it's still better than it used to be, so that's something.

I'm glad to see how this topic has turned into a good debate so far, and also how people have turned out and voted.

I would have to agree with most of what Greg has talked about so far, and feel that religion was a stepping stone from times of uncertainty to explain unknown things. However since we know how things work much better (though of course there's so much out there in the universe still to be learned about), I think that in some sense people should break away from religion. I'm not saying force people to stop believing... that's fine. But I think to make it a way of life is another story.

Also though people do say that many of the things are misinterpreted (as the really are), there are also bits within the books that speak of terrible things. I mean you had Abraham who sacrificed his son because God told him to do so. If you were a parent, and heard "the word of god" (which probably at the time for Abraham he had schizophrenia) can you honestly tell me that you would go along doing so?

Also in Middle Eastern cultures women are given very few rights, and also men are separated from the women. Plus the bible and priests push on how bad sexual acts are. It's to me this kind of controlling of peoples rights as well as natural functions that is wrong.

Also I've been reading as well that there are some religious leaders that have prevented their people from getting vaccines of diseases because they don't think that it's natural or is just some conspiracy by the US. Meanwhile by preventing from doing so diseases like small pox have resurged in some countries.

I of course think that it's mostly the leaders that have caused a lot of the problems as well as radicals. I mean you had the 9/11 hijackers believing that doing their deed was to have them be greeted in heaven w/ virgins. And from that you then had people like Rev. Fallwell blaming the 9/11 attacks on gays, abortionists, and feminists. It's these kind of people that say they are men of God that uninformed people feed into. It is the power of saying that God told you something or that you are speaking for god that is so harmful because people can be extremely easily manipulated.

CHRISTIANS, WE'RE ALL AFRAID OF FIRE, WE PREFER TO SUCK ON PACIFIERS, BABY PACIFISTS, WE'RE THROWING FITS, WE DON'T SHAKE HANDS WE SHAKE OUR FISTS. WE'RE CANNIBALS WE WATCH OUR BROTHERS FALL, WE EAT OUR OWN THE BONES AND ALL

FINALLY FELL ASLEEP ON THE PLANE TO WAKE TO SEE WE'RE GOING DOWN IN FLAMES, DOWN IN FLAMES

WE'RE GOING DOWN DOWN DOWN IN FLAMES, DROWN DROWN DROWN INSANE

WE SEE THE PROBLEM AND THE RISK BUT NOTHING'S SOLVED WE JUST SAY TSK TSK TSK AND SHAME SHAME SHAME

FINALLY FELL ASLEEP ON THE PLANE TO WAKE TO SEE WE'RE GOING DOWN IN FLAMES, DOWN IN FLAMES

CHRISTIANS, WE MOURN, THE THORN IS STUCK IN THE SIDE OF THE BODY, WATCH IT SELF DESTRUCT. THE ENEMY IS MUCH IGNORED WHEN WE FIGHT THIS CHRISTIAN CIVIL WAR~~~~

/came on when I was reading this thread

as much as i think religion is a critical part of society i am a massive advocate of secular government. there's nothing more wrong in this world than government operating and ruling under the influence of the "church". it has become very clear that a majority of people in western societies aren't very religious yet their governments continue to push policies that please the different faiths. the most obvious one is of course the non-recognition of gay marriage.

religion should be a personal thing not public. as a personal thing it is very enriching and enlightening and more often than not has a very positive impact on a persons life, in terms of the values and lessons it teaches them. the billions around the world who possess some faith or another would certainly agree with that. but when it starts encroaching on the lives of others, thats when i have a problem with it. thankfully in the developed world the issue isn't too serious.

oh yeah and as a music fan nothing pisses me off more than seeing them "christian rock" section at a record store. i didn't know Jesus prefers some guitar chords over others.....

as much as i think religion is a critical part of society i am a massive advocate of secular government. there's nothing more wrong in this world than government operating and ruling under the influence of the "church". it has become very clear that a majority of people in western societies aren't very religious yet their governments continue to push policies that please the different faiths. the most obvious one is of course the non-recognition of gay marriage.

religion should be a personal thing not public. as a personal thing it is very enriching and enlightening and more often than not has a very positive impact on a persons life, in terms of the values and lessons it teaches them. the billions around the world who possess some faith or another would certainly agree with that. but when it starts encroaching on the lives of others, thats when i have a problem with it. thankfully in the developed world the issue isn't too serious.

oh yeah and as a music fan nothing pisses me off more than seeing them "christian rock" section at a record store. i didn't know Jesus prefers some guitar chords over others.....

I've come into this thread late but I pretty much agree with what was said here.

I'm the equally group! As many other things in the hands of bad people can be something really bad, but on the other hands its good!

I've got more problems with Church than religion itself. I'm catholic (cause my parents wanted me to be, but myself I'm agnostic) but I think that Vatican is the worst place on Earth! They are like a secret society. Bible was written by priests so they said whatever they thought in that time, which many think today even though its been centuries and centuries! I dont want to say anything about other religions cause I don't know much about them so I can't judge!

i didn't know Jesus prefers some guitar chords over others.....

no because the lyrics of the songs from that category are about god.

oh good, we could use some lil wayne as one of the mass songs in the church. fair enough?

I have know people whom their attitude have gotten better when they entered christianity.

The irony is that roman catholics should be the 'holiest' religion but they (count me in) miss the mass every sunday and forget to confess. I didn't know there was a hierarchy among the religions. When you are a buddhist you are farther from god than other religions like roman catholic, etc. hmm :wtf:

among the population of the Filipinos, 90% of us are roman catholics but many people are converting themselves into other religions like christianity, etc.

I have the same thoughts with Lndsky, I don't mind about being a roman catholic but the church is just fucked up and full of hypocrisy.

I don't think the problem is religion, but the attitudes and interpretations of the religious people and they way they use it if that makes sense.

Having sex before marriage or being gay does not mean you're going to hell at all by the way, it bothers me that people think breaking a commandment and such leads to hell.

I agree with this at 100%

But I still think that the world would be a better place without any religion.

Guest howyousawtheworld

Hitchins is a good talker but I watched him debate Tony Blair and Blair did pretty well. Thankfully Blair is known more for than just spouting material on one subject.

I know only that people do not know absolutely nothing what it means empathy, and empathy is religion.

put themselves in the shoes of others and understand called communication universal.

is peace and stability in the world's

So.. for me there is no religion. and more religion is personal .

song of songs ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Song_of_Songs

in a part of the Bible, says that the woman is regarded as the church or something like and Jesus son of God but also part :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genealogy_of_Jesus

yes descendants of Jesus adam & eve as genesis