✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Globalisation - good or bad?

Guest howyousawtheworld

Guest howyousawtheworld
It's bad in the sense that some countries get richer whilst others become poorer but good in that it brings countries closer and we're more diverse with cultures.

I certainly agree but do you think that's all good though? It's a very delicate point this but perhaps the terrorist attacks we've seen like on 9/11 has shown that having become "closer" to different cultures and societies, clearer divisions and hostilities between these divisions have been created at the same time?

I think there are a bunch of trade offs in general. I agree that I would like to believe that it brings more freedom and prosperity, however with the situation of the world and there being so many poor countries in bad conditions it makes it hard to believe this to be the case. In an ideal world it'd be great that there is equal competition across the board, but there isn't and unfortunately the poorer nations who have nothing to stand on get taken advantage of. So that's what I think is mostly negative.

At the same time I think globalization is good in the sense that by trying to connect all the nations together it might be a cause for more innovation and also exchanging ideas on many fronts from it being inventions or cultural ideas or whatever. I also think that the idea of it can perhaps help to show that we as a human race are still united and it can be seen by having similar businesses, even if those are like McDonalds.

Guest howyousawtheworld
I think there are a bunch of trade offs in general. I agree that I would like to believe that it brings more freedom and prosperity, however with the situation of the world and there being so many poor countries in bad conditions it makes it hard to believe this to be the case. In an ideal world it'd be great that there is equal competition across the board, but there isn't and unfortunately the poorer nations who have nothing to stand on get taken advantage of. So that's what I think is mostly negative.

At the same time I think globalization is good in the sense that by trying to connect all the nations together it might be a cause for more innovation and also exchanging ideas on many fronts from it being inventions or cultural ideas or whatever. I also think that the idea of it can perhaps help to show that we as a human race are still united and it can be seen by having similar businesses, even if those are like McDonalds.

Yeah, really interesting points. Do you feel that globalisation or the economic integration facet of globalisation is good in that despite culpable to worldwide economic crisis, it means countries become more dependent on each other in doing so are less likely to start war with each other? I wonder if we could you say it has so far prevented the likelihood of World War 3??

Yeah, really interesting points. Do you feel that globalisation or the economic integration facet of globalisation is good in that despite culpable to worldwide economic crisis, it means countries become more dependent on each other in doing so are less likely to start war with each other? I wonder if we could you say it has so far prevented the likelihood of World War 3??

Interesting question. I think once again there's two sides to the story. I imagine that it makes us so much more dependent on other countries which can be a good and bad thing. It's good for countries trying to gain a step up in the global arena and compete. At the same time it can be trouble, for example with the US owing China so much money. They now essentially have an upperhand on the US because if they want I guess they can hold that debt over our heads.

Also I think it's bad because like you said with an economic crisis such as the one we've recently experienced, you can already see how it's been bad and all countries seem to be failing together. Also with the Global Market constantly running since countries are in different timezones, it makes it even more susceptible for if things are going bad to continue to be bad.

I think though it is good because at least from the more developed countries I don't see a WWIII happening on the level of attacking with weapons, and also since everyone is tied together it's sort of like everyone goes down with the ship, so I think it'll make countries think twice.

But I also can see countries using their economies to cripple other countries, which might actually be worse and easier to do rather than going to war.

said one day for my part

the politicians who made the laws in their country or not ?

but just one question global and stupide for poor people as me .

I ask why the rich are getting richer and the poor getting poorer?

and no have more tax the rich and the poor pay and the rich who have favors tax.

and all exemple of this kind .

and more politicians are not so rich compared to the bosses of multinationals, they help their people multimationals to be more rich destroy the planet eco-sphere and destabilizing the global economy.

because is the people who work made economy not machines

China should be isolated from the rest of the world because it prevents the economies of other countries . plus it's an outlaw country of human rights.

and more globalization brings only destruction of the planet and the nations.

everyone should find the old values, is more stable. and return to something simpler. restore balance to everything.

reduce pollution, there are really too many useless thing in the world.

Have you seen this movie is exaggerated stupid but is not so fake

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0O7_3o3BrI]YouTube - Idiocracy Mash-up[/ame]

said one day for my part

China should be isolated from the rest of the world because it prevents the economies of other countries . plus it's an outlaw country of human rights.

and more globalization brings only destruction of the planet and the nations.

everyone should find the old values, is more stable. and return to something simpler. restore balance to everything.

reduce pollution, there are really too many useless thing in the world.

Have you seen this movie is exaggerated stupid but is not so fake

Your English has suddenly become more understandable.

In a way its bad. The Western Culture becomes the only one thats right. We go around "giving" people democracy even though they dont and never will understand the principals of it.

And in the other way its great. Just think 20years ago what we do now would not be possible. I talk every day to people from all around the world. Internet is very important in the globalisation process. I write something in Europe and someone in Asia sees in like a second later. In a way globalistion connects everyone with everything.

I think its a good thing but like with everything there has to a boundary.

people starting to wake up to see. Tunisia, Egypt and libye. but can they have stability then?

there are countries who regret the past, an example romania. when have communism, he ate, because all was regulated by the communism . the liberty have pay ?

now the people are always poors. steal, prostitute themselves or are in the street, emigrated principle in Italy and Switzerland and do the same thing

but China is a country very difficult to make a civil war, always resulted in failure. the government has no care for his people. exemple Tiananmen Square protests of 1989 is a massacre

well... I'm an idiot troll by people active in society, see paria and ill. is just a fact real :-/

I'm very isolated from society. but I observed from my room or cave people's behavior. many years

I studied human relationships in a school. read so many psychology thinking that I will become like other intelligent and able to integrate into society.

well no it's bullshit theory. Living and duty to fight. I have no work, (but lots of work trades learned from the more rewarding social and degrading dishwasher as automat in the past

not have appart. in the social, and often that difficult to eat in end of the month.

and even with health problems because of all this .

but shit when people will be them and not sheep? I desides to be a troll for good reason be myself with my values.

is not a problem to society if I'm a troll or I am sick or not .

but when the planet will be destroyed, because all want perfection and money, I wonder.

an example of economy. gold is valued, secure and never sold your gold.

. the euro's nothing. the country would keep the money in their own country.

How many countries have become poorer because of the euro. because not the same standard of living in each country.

I think what's needed is the other half of globalization - global unions, global awareness of human rights as trump over "economic interests," reform of governments so they act as they should, as arbiters of fair play and as representatives of the will of the citizens writ large. And I think we are getting there, as struggle does inevitably bear the fruits of liberty and democracy, but not without human tolls.

Checks and balances, an active educated voting citizenry, and an honest independent free press are essential to protecting and improving our rights; a balance between private interests and social institutions, where oversight is done by independent bodies composed of individuals selected by the citizens, not by a minority of wealthy plutocrats.

Is there such a schism between east and west, when what we attribute to our modern Democracies arose in the Mediterranean Lands and the Middle East?

It is the social concerns for growing prosperity and economic fairness which must be paramount above individual gains, for greater stability and equity in any nation to be achieved.

Much in human culture is from shared efforts, and teamwork achieves what no individual can. It is up to us to right the wrongs done by a few that affect us all.

We have been globalized for many centuries now; more and more today than in the past. It is up to us to uphold standards of decency and protect basic human rights, including the right to fair treatment in the economy and protection of the commons - the air we breath, the water we drink, the food we eat, the spaces where we live require our collective protection. Setting down fair standards for behavior in the market is essential, and an end to colonialism by corporate interests is in all our best interests.

it's really a story of human behavior human character INDIVIDUAL of globalization and all its excesses

people live for money and power not for the people.

Never see a rich give half his salary to the poor community

you never see multimantional give to the poor.

profit and money. see how multinational plays with people's lives. such as multinational food

I am not surprised that all these infected animals.

the rich are still rich and the poor get poorer. nothing has changed

it's really a story of human behavior human character INDIVIDUAL of globalization and all its excesses

people live for money and power not for the people.

Never see a rich give half his salary to the poor community

you never see multimantional give to the poor.

profit and money. see how multinational plays with people's lives. such as multinational food

I am not surprised that all these infected animals.

the rich are still rich and the poor get poorer. nothing has changed

> True, there are the underlying psychological aspects of people living for money and power; peacock feathers, tail fathers, and the desires - for control, or the fear of not being in control, and more - yes, the daffy comes out when society allows for such behavior to become dominant, I agree. I've heard it termed hyper-individualism, which has gone to excess. Baubles, gold, money, fancy cars, stocks and the like - what are they really? Symbols that connote things, mere objects, yet there is an inherent fascination with them (and the 'game' of competing for them) - we are attracted to sparkling simple forms, and society confers value on these things, so obsessions of behavior fixated on gaining more and more, plus the horse race that's run to get them takes a toll on social good - it's an obscene thing when it's taken too far, I agree. Marketing makes it all the worse, when they use all forms of messages to try and manipulate people's minds too - this ramps up the behavior quite a bit.

People live in circumstances which vary however - the core of most religions is humbleness, compassion, empathy, and sharing with others; Many realize that collective goods are better than individual gains, for teams seek a collaborative synergy which propels the individuals within, and creates gains that no one alone could achieve. "team spirit" in essence, the oneness of a group.

Perhaps often what is missing is empathy, the gift of having walked in some else's shoes so-to-speak, compassion for others - learned from infant on in life; learning to share to share in joy rather than hoard and live a life of reduced human potential. Some with wealth learn to see the higher value, but it takes time for them to develop those skills after a life lived competing and playing the money game, caught up in it as often people are.

A passage from the Bible tells the story of a rich man who did right by the commandments, but asked Jesus what he was lacking to get to heaven. Jesus replied "If you want to be perfect, go sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me." Upon hearing this, the rich man went away sad, because he was very wealthy and couldn't see parting with his own wealth. Then Jesus said to his disciples, "I tell you the truth, it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. Again, I tell you it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven."

Perhaps in a more modern sense, what one gives up is material possessions that bring short-term happiness and may confer superficial social status, but what one would gain from generosity is knowing that one's fellow man is healthier and happier, and that the love given comes back in kind in a shared sense, as well as through empathy - smiles are truly golden. So Bugs the aspiration wins out in the end over Daffy the perspiration, if the realization happens to the wealthy person (if Scrooge sees the light the next day, in essence).

Those caught up in the race, or lost in the mindset of selfishness or ego may not ever come to this realization. Fear as much as powerlust plays a role I believe in keeping them shortsighted. That, and a group-think that reinforces their belief that they are somehow superior and entitled to their excess, and that messing with people's livelihood and minds is acceptable since it's a game and anything it takes to win that game is acceptable. That pretty much explains Wall Street's behavior, when unbridled capitalism crushes poor people and dupes investors globally, leading to a financial collapse the world is still reeling from.

So, it's up to us - you and I and everyone who's enlightened and cares about fair play and justice, to promoting the well-being of our fellow human beings on the planet, to be part of the force that corrects bad behaviors and sets up a system which promotes the best in human nature.

There are good companies, just as their are good teams with good team organizers and good individuals - it's a matter of getting back to systems of checks and balances, of clear oversight, of breaking up monopolies and oligopolies, of becoming more egalitarian and less plutocratic or autocratic. Then the better behaved companies will become dominant in the markets, the rules will be there to protect our rights, and a good day's pay will be the outcome for a hard day's work. Merit works as incentive, provided it's truly an honest system of assessing one's merit and promoting not just the individual, but the group to which that individual belongs when there is a collective improvement in how the group performs. I think group over individual, since teamwork is often the true force which gets things done.

So, you never see a multinational give to the poor, or a rich man give his salaries to the poor community, except for Andrew Carnegie's endowment, or Gates' charitable giving, or a few others. They perhaps are the rare exceptions, and sometimes only offer a limited amount of their wealth back to the poor community, but then the matter with how we allow our systems of governance to become corrupt favors bad behavior, which ultimately we must correct. Egyptians are doing it, and so must we all.

Greed and avarice are as old as civilization, and it is up to us to control and check the ill effects of these excesses. While the unfair plutocrats may try and pit citizen against citizen, it is up to us to set things strait, and not allow the corporate sociopaths to corrode out collective higher values.

So, to despair from the present conditions I understand, but then to keep an eye on the prize and keep working towards that goal is where we must keep heading. "Don't give up the ship!":cool: