✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Every Teardrop is a Waterfall Meaning

i really like etiaw, but not for the lyrics. for me they're just the type i'd sing at the top of my lungs as i drove on the highway or something. lyrics you remember after the third listen.

they seem pretty scattershot to me. a lot of disconnected positiveness. which is a lot of fun. i just can't get myself to say there's a complex meaning.

and i am often one to read into the meanings of songs...

For me it is just a motivation to see the bright sides of life, no matter in which situation you are. You should always be optimistic because life is beautiful and every bad thing (a tear) is also a beautiful thing (a waterfall), every vale in your life is also a chance for something good.

Just my comment.

I'm agree ;)

So I was thinking about it, and I now feel that this song is more than a sappy "i luv mah muzics zo im gonna dance" song. Some of the lyrics seem trite, but there seems to be a deeper meaning (to me).

I feel that this song has something to do with the joy of protesting something and finally being recognized, even in a negative way. Many people would gladly spend a night in jail if it means getting their beliefs across. This song brings to mind protests against racism/war/for educational reform in the 60's. People would get beaten up, humiliated, and degraded by authorities, but they wouldn't have it any other way. I think this song says that in the joy of that moment, everything seems larger than life. Every (police) siren is a symphony, and every teardrop (of physical pain, perhaps caused by a beating from security?) is a beautiful waterfall.

"You can hurt me bad, but still I'll raise the flag."

I don't know. My head is a messy place, make of this what you will.

I haven't posted here in god knows how long, but I had to say how much I enjoyed this post. I've always hated the lyrics to this song, but I think you really nailed what they were going for here, and it's helped me enjoy the song more :)

You dare insult me? :angry:

:rolleyes:

Actually, I now have a full novel-like story based on the new songs we have so far (when I hear that something is a concept album, I immediately and automatically build my own stories for it...even if I haven't heard the entire album! :P). Every Teardrop is the final chapter. I may someday type out my story/theory, but for now...I'm too lazy. :P I will tell you though, that in my ideal version of LP5, the songs (so far) would go in this order.

1. Cartoon Heart

2. Hurts Like Heaven

3. Us Against the World

4. Major Minus

5. Every Teardrop is a Waterfall

It would be interesting if they have a pattern like that - and the first Alphabet of each Title makes the Album Title. I also love Double Album Idea - but they will not do it probably. But at least, they may have more cohesive clues connecting all the songs?

IMO, the first two verses are quite literal - about escaping, listening to music and not letting the world get to you.

I actually think the song relates more to the world today however. "Monday morning seems another life" refers to the 9-5 grind. Because of the global recession, people have said that the next generation will suffer due to, what we call in the UK, the "baby boomers" (or the previous generation) and their frivolous spending. In England, tution fees have tripled over the last year denying a lot of people access to higher education. More people are also unemployed than in any point in our history. So I think Coldplay are saying that they'd like some continuity rather than see "another generation drop". Being "In the black" also means being in credit (as opposed to being in the "red", or debt) - so they're saying maybe they have money or maybe they're on their"knees" or maybe they're somewhere in between that delicate balance (i.e. trapeezes), just struggling to get by (as many people are!). Other than that, I agree that the "siren is a symphony" and "every teardrop is a waterfall" refers to the often beautiful nature of struggle and pain.

Obviously Coldplay are multimillionaires, but if this was the meaning it would be quite topical. Just my two cents anyway!

download ep?

Anyone any idea why the new Ep is only available to download? I`m not lucky or rich enough to have an ipod but would still love to buy it on an "old fashioned" cd. It makes me sad to think Coldplay are starting to forget about their fans this way. Anyone else feel the same way?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It seems to fit what I have seen others say that it's about the nuclear bombing of Hiroshima which happened on a Monday. If you listen to all the words it makes since. :cry:

I SHUT THE WORLD OUTSIDE UNTIL THE LIGHTS COME ON

MAYBE THE STREETS ALIGHT, MAYBE THE TREES ARE GONE

This fits with the lights coming from the bomg and the streets alight, maybe the trees are gone. Pretty obvious to me that it fits.

The kids dane until Monday morning until Monday comes, and heaven is in sight.

The bomb was dropped on Hiroshima on Monday, August 6, 1945.

Personally I wish the song was about a person in life who was listening to his ipod, was in love and relized how beatiful his relationship with her was so perfect and that she could hurt him bad but wasn'g going to and if she did or decided to the song shows him having a tear greater than a waterfall which expresses how he was overwhelmed with the loss.

If this doesn't make sense to you please give me your thoughts and tell me where I am wrong.

I am a big big fan of Coldplay and am going to the concert in LA on August 3. I'm just glad it isn't on a Monday and/or August 6th which is Saturday. :confused:

So I was thinking about it, and I now feel that this song is more than a sappy "i luv mah muzics zo im gonna dance" song. Some of the lyrics seem trite, but there seems to be a deeper meaning (to me).

I feel that this song has something to do with the joy of protesting something and finally being recognized, even in a negative way. Many people would gladly spend a night in jail if it means getting their beliefs across. This song brings to mind protests against racism/war/for educational reform in the 60's. People would get beaten up, humiliated, and degraded by authorities, but they wouldn't have it any other way. I think this song says that in the joy of that moment, everything seems larger than life. Every (police) siren is a symphony, and every teardrop (of physical pain, perhaps caused by a beating from security?) is a beautiful waterfall.

Agreed. :hat:

I love this meaning, now it does this sense to me. Why not ask Oracle?:)

It seems to fit what I have seen others say that it's about the nuclear bombing of Hiroshima which happened on a Monday. If you listen to all the words it makes since. :cry:

I SHUT THE WORLD OUTSIDE UNTIL THE LIGHTS COME ON

MAYBE THE STREETS ALIGHT, MAYBE THE TREES ARE GONE

This fits with the lights coming from the bomg and the streets alight, maybe the trees are gone. Pretty obvious to me that it fits.

The kids dane until Monday morning until Monday comes, and heaven is in sight.

The bomb was dropped on Hiroshima on Monday, August 6, 1945.

Personally I wish the song was about a person in life who was listening to his ipod, was in love and relized how beatiful his relationship with her was so perfect and that she could hurt him bad but wasn'g going to and if she did or decided to the song shows him having a tear greater than a waterfall which expresses how he was overwhelmed with the loss.

If this doesn't make sense to you please give me your thoughts and tell me where I am wrong.

I am a big big fan of Coldplay and am going to the concert in LA on August 3. I'm just glad it isn't on a Monday and/or August 6th which is Saturday. :confused:

great....we need ask to Oracle;)

• 1 month later...

I like it :)

as someone mentioned something as silly as Hiroshima I think I should mention I think its about over analysing yourself in order to correct/progress to a better man.

it seems dangerous to turn every tear into a waterfall with a self introspective microscope, if you fall off the horse and loose grip of the line before you reach the abyss you could break your spine.

I prefer buckaroo :)

as for the misery, you need misery and the materialisation of 'misery' in order to climb to happiness (lets call happiness 'her'), without it there is nothing to turn into judgement and therefore reason, you use it like the wrungs of a ladder in order to climb above it, the higher you climb the more misery/judgement you need from the same life, you therefore have to find waterfools worth of misery within tears or you run out of ladder :)

again, I could be all wrung or right, or somewhere inbetwix, someone wiser would have to contribute.

• 4 weeks later...

I guess "So you can hurt me bad, but still I raise the flag means" No matter how you would turn me down, I won't be. but the question is, to whom was it? And I guess this song means (in my opinion) that he might moved on from a dark past. I dunno, but that's my opinion

:cool::thinking::confused:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I enjoyed reading your interpretation! thanks

Pulse start.... catherdrals in my heart

as we saw this light, I swear you emerged blinking into to tell me its alright.

In 1996 an album came out called Pulse by Pink Floyd

and it had a Blinking light on the CD ...their music was very helpful to me

and the light was like a beacon telling me that everything was alright..

My favourite part is

"So you can hurt, hurt me bad

But still I'll raise the flag".

I think it sums up the whole message, because without it you might think "why do they sing every teardrop is a waterfall to a happy and upbeat melody?"

To me the song is about having been hurt badly or gone through a rough thing where tears seemed endless, but now being able to see the beautiful things in life and celebrating and as ARushofLove said, seeing the tears as beautiful. That is even though what caused them might have been painful.

The song can really make me dance and jump around feeling "on a roll" while I with the lyrics remember the tears I've cried in the past, but think positively upon the present, where I enjoy my music, being alive and other values in the moment.

yeah, a man gains wisdom through suffering. I mean, looking at negative things in a positive mirror^^

• 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...