✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

I'm making a mixtape of contemporary indie-type schtuff

hotdensestate

for a guy who knows like, absolutely 0 about contemporary music (just as in, he doesn't listen to it)

and I'm freaking out so hard trying to figure out which like 12 artists I should pick, this is so hard

all that I'm SURE is going on is Haiti by Arcade Fire and one Radiohead song but I haven't even decided which yet :freak:

what artists do you all think are like, 100% necessary to go on as an introductory-type mixtape? I am trusting WOM-ers to pull through for me here because we all have almost the same taste except for Eddie who listens to rap.

I don't listen to Eels, and barely listen to Bon Iver although I know I should. (I have a few songs though, one of which I'm considering putting on.)

I'm actually trying like right now to decide which Elbow song to use :dead: Normally I'd just put Grounds for Divorce because everyone likes it, but, like, it doesn't give a good impression of Elbow, cuz most of their songs aren't like it at all. Augh, hard!!

I'm actually trying like right now to decide which Elbow song to use :dead: Normally I'd just put Grounds for Divorce because everyone likes it, but, like, it doesn't give a good impression of Elbow, cuz most of their songs aren't like it at all. Augh, hard!!

I'd suggest Leaders Of The Free World, Powder Blue or Fugitive Motel. Or maybe Great Expectations.

You could also add

Four Tet

Beirut

Sigur Rós

Atlas Sound

Pavement (not really contemporary, are they)

and for a little quirkiness maybe one of Jonny Greenwood's compositions from his score for the movie Norwegian Wood (mostly strings). I personally like mixtapes with a bit of stylistic inconsistency, makes'em catchier.

Station Approach. :smug:

Or Mirrorball if you want something off SSK

Off the top of my head in addition to Arcade Fire and Radiohead.

Broken Social Scene

Andrew Bird

Bon Iver

Fleet Foxes

Belle and Sebastian

The Shins

Grizzly Bear

LCD Soundsystem

Sufjan Stevens

The National

Animal Collective

Deer Hunter

Owen Pallett

Beach House

My thoughts exactly, plus maybe an xx song.

Off the top of my head in addition to Arcade Fire and Radiohead.

Broken Social Scene

Andrew Bird

Bon Iver

Fleet Foxes

Belle and Sebastian

The Shins

Grizzly Bear

LCD Soundsystem

Sufjan Stevens

The National

Animal Collective

Deer Hunter

Owen Pallett

Beach House

You can't go wrong with that list!

Hm, it's all electronic music, but Dub Step is massive bassy club-rave-music, deriving from Jungle, if I'm not utterly mistaken. Four Tet is more of a post-rock affair, still very danceable, but different.

So if the adressee of your mixtape didn't dig Burial, he might still love one or the other Four Tet song, you know.

Hm, it's all electronic music, but Dub Step is massive bassy club-rave-music, deriving from Jungle, if I'm not utterly mistaken. Four Tet is more of a post-rock affair.

So if the adressee of your mixtape didn't dig Burial, he might still love one or the other Four Tet song, you know.

I dunno. Maybe if any fit I'll put them in :thinking: I dunno :bigcry:

Modest Mouse

The Wave Pictures

She & Him

Beach Fossils

Belle & Sebestian

Panda Bear

The Smiths

Guided by Voices

The Microphones

Department of Eagles

The Shins