✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

I need tips for barre chords!

Blakexy1125

It's something that comes with practice I think. Don't put too much pressure on it! It doesn't help to make them sound better and it makes it a lot harder on you. Don't play them with the flat part of your index finger. You should use the edge of your finger. The position of your thumb is also very important. Try to google some pics or video tutorials to get the right position.

it's crucial to train your fingers, they need to be strong!

and also, for a start it's easier to try barré chords on the middle part of the neck, from frets 5 to 9 i'd say it's good, the further you go down the harder it will be, so you can increase or decrease the resistance as disired for your practising

Oh, another good exercise to build strength would be to do a series of quick up/down strokes on a chord (or chord sequence) and alternate between applying (holding your fingers down) and releasing (muting the strings) pressure. Try to find a good strumming pattern for that. It will help improve your sense of rhythm as well.

I had tons of trouble with them too, still do. The trick for me was not pressing with the flat of my fingers but the side...if that makes sense.

Instead of pressing like you would normal strings, hold with the side of your index finger at almost a 45 degree angle towards the other fingers.

just my two cents - honestly it's something that improves with time, there's really no "overnight" fix, it's just practice and experience (and all the lovely lovely advice above) and eventually the barres will feel more natural. but man, i cannot emphasis the importance of moving your wrist. so many guitarists try to play the whole song with their arm locked in some static position, their elbows and wrists like statues. Let the process be organic, move like it matters and play like you mean it. :)

And, perhaps most important - watch the pros!

,perhaps most important - watch the pros!

^NOT THAT xD

find out who's a real pro and who's got the right technique. no punk guitarist is good. (seriously it's too trashy xD)

clapton is very good to watch... but even among the best sounding guitarists, there are guys that have a weird personal style which is not worth copying because you learn stuff WRONG. let yourself be inspired but do not copy, that's always important to remember, find your own way and it'll be fine