🪐 MY UNIVERSE | COLDPLAY X BTS | OUT SEPTEMBER 14TH 🛰

okay hi so like um im nervous and stuff

I'M TRYING TO IMPRESS A GIRL BUT I DONT THINK SHE LIKES ME AND I WROTE HER A SONG SO SHOULD I MAKE AN ELABORATE MUSIC VIDEO AND PRESENT IT TO HER IN A THEATRE OR JUST RUN AWAY TO PERTH

Just kidding, I'm older than that. (Most days, anyway.) But hopefully it got your attention.

My Presonus Bluetube finally arrived in the mail so I'm considering doing some youtube covers now that I can generate some decent sound.

I'm running guitar+mic through a behringer mixer into my macbook and then processing the signal with Reason+Record, so (outside of acoustic treatment) the audio quality won't be a problem. (Can't say the same for my cold-affected voice, but time heals most things.)

I've been wanting to make videos for youtube for quite some time - I mean, outside of machinima's and short films - but I've never "quite got around to it". Truthfully I've felt intimidated by the bipolar reception, and/or outstanding quality, of other youtube musicians.

TL;DR?

So, here's my question.

What do people want to see from a cover on youtube?

Would people like dramatic, DOF shots of my mixer, the bouncing levels on my recording software, some creative camera angles of the recording process, my singing into my microphone and playing guitar with some cheesy vignetting and colour grading?

Do people want to see a small band doing their thing, In My Place music video style, or just one guy doing all the parts?

(For the record - all instruments/interpretation and performance can be done by me, and I'd be aiming for nearly-studio quality sound and nearly-professional quality film.)

Do people not care about the performing process and would be more interested in watching a music video that I design with the cover playing in the background?

Or shall I just sit my iPhone up against a wall and play?

I appreciate any and all responses. :)

EDIT: Oh yeah, and I'll be starting with Major Minus and Us Against The World.

Looks like a huge project going on!

first of all: one guy doing all the parts is a no, imo

Us against the world could have a cheesy story kind of film, with shots of you sitting playing the guitar, and probably singing

For technique: I really like this way of filming

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji7B_54Cp_A&feature=relmfu]‪Young the Giant - "I Got" In The Open Session‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

(a bit soft focus?)

major minus would have a way rougher film,

a guy running away from his life type of movie :wink:

I really look forward to the finished product,

good luck :smiley:

make it simple I say. For Us Against the World, make it out to be just two people as the subject maybe walking through a city, or a forrest, or something like that and just have it following them throughout, but explicitly focusing on them being separate from the rest of the community.

As for Major Minus, I genuinely have no Idea what you could do.

Bear in mind, these are just my suggestions, it might turn out i know absolutely nothing about music video making, but that's what I think would look good in a video.

Jack nothing, I'm very very sad to say. This little bungalow I've moved into is new so the ground could do with new timber (or a rug). I'm planning to put in a square curtain rail to absorb the reflection and make for a nice aesthetic touch (I do live in here after all!)

And I'm a lowly uni student so I can't spend all my money on my passion...but I've managed to save myself hundreds of dollars on this set up so I can't complain! The preamp was the next thing I felt I couldn't live without, acoustic treatment comes next...I have some foam I might just staple to the wall until i get my curtains :P

I checked your soundcloud, great work! Following! (Most of the tracks on mine are a little poor because I just use it to show friends, it's not really meant to be a professional showcase!)

What's your setup? :)

This is how i see it i feel like if your truly talented and think you can do a great cover then just shoot a normal cover of you just sitting playing guitar. but if you feel your less skilled then try making a music video but thatll be a lot more work. i honestly just like videos of someone just sitting playing the guitar and showing off that talent only. with singing though lol the only one that can go without singing is piano.