✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

MOJO Review on Mylo Xyloto : 4/5 stars

maricircus

Why do any of you even care?

Music critics work in one of the most irrelevant fields of work available in Western society. Sure they can use big words, act smug and spew elitist rhetoric all over their trendy little magazines - but that doesn't make what they are saying mean anything at all. It is simple opinion. Giving MX a 4/5 means this reviewer liked it. Giving MX a 0/5 means that reviewer hated it.

How is any of this a newsflash? The headline for these articles may as well read: "THIS JUST IN: MUSIC IS STILL SUBJECTIVE".

Why are we as a society expected to care about what anyone thinks about music other than ourselves? Who cares about what Pitchfork will give the album out of ten? Every second or third generic indie/electronica band gets a 8-9/10 on that website, and they are still completely unheard of years later. Oh wow. What cutting edge "journalism".

I understand we're all excited about the album, but this just seems ridiculous to me.

Why do you care that other people care about music reviews? :wink3:

Because so many people get their opinions from the media in general and as a result they lose the ability to truly connect with music on a personal level and introspect. This obviously results in much larger connotations. People in general seldom connect with anything privately. I think that is a harmful reality.

I think you pretty gravely misinterpreted my post. I wasn't supporting general apathy.

Guest howyousawtheworld
To be fair, the other review by Uncut gave them 6/10.

Uncut is a dad rock paper. They don't do energetic or vibrant pop music. Largely dull crap like Paul Weller excites their readers. It's a magazine 40+ year old males would buy. Seriously. It's not a bad magazine (good at times) but it's more a magazine for those who reminisce about the old days while sitting in a rocking chair, smoking a pipe while gazing through the autumn sunlight!

Why do any of you even care?

Music critics work in one of the most irrelevant fields of work available in Western society. Sure they can use big words, act smug and spew elitist rhetoric all over their trendy little magazines - but that doesn't make what they are saying mean anything at all. It is simple opinion. Giving MX a 4/5 means this reviewer liked it. Giving MX a 0/5 means that reviewer hated it.

How is any of this a newsflash? The headline for these articles may as well read: "THIS JUST IN: MUSIC IS STILL SUBJECTIVE".

Why are we as a society expected to care about what anyone thinks about music other than ourselves? Who cares about what Pitchfork will give the album out of ten? Every second or third generic indie/electronica band gets a 8-9/10 on that website, and they are still completely unheard of years later. Oh wow. What cutting edge "journalism".

I understand we're all excited about the album, but this just seems ridiculous to me.

I can understand what you're saying, and I definitely agree with many of the points you made. But at the same time, I think we the listeners anticipate these reviews because it gives us the slightest indication as to what an album might sound like, or how it flows all ltogether, or whether or not there are songs that stick out as particularly "bad" (subjective, of course). In the same case, the reviewers aren't so different than you and I, so the mere prospect of another individual listening to the album beforehand is really exciting to us. It more or less vills in the void of our imaginations until the album actually drops, which then we decide for ourselves. Its all for the sweet anticipation imo.