✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[14-Sep-2012] Coldplay @ Red Bull Arena, Leipzig, Germany

Jenjie

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TRANSLATION by NANCY BOYSEN with kind assistance of Thalia of

http://www.mz-web.de/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=ksta/page&atype=ksArtikel&aid=1347702694109

Extremely hard gentleness

Coldplay thrilled their audience in Leipzig

By JANEK KÖNAU, 16.09.12, 20:03h, updated 16.09.12 at 21:58h

LEIPZIG / MZ. "Is anyone out there?" shouts Chris Martin, while fireworks spread glittering sparks over him and his comrades and cannons shoot colorful scraps of paper in the evening air. It seems to be snowing at the Red Bull Arena. In the middle of September.

"I cannot hear you," says the singer asking the audience to make some noise during "In My Place". "Thank you, good evening. It is an honour to be here." Martin is rolling in the confetti, he runs back and forth onstage like a child who has been allowed to stay up longer. On the other hand: Coldplay have grown up. The image of the shy boys next door is long gone. Coldplay can count themselves among the great entertainers, they prove this – not least with this tour that is named after their fifth studio album "Mylo Xyloto" - obviously meaningless words created by the band itself.

The atmosphere is sizzling. A rain shower in the middle of the concert brings an almost welcome cooling. Martin throws the sweat drops trickling from his forehead in all directions. The pop star can be seen on five circular screens. A sea of clapping hands accompanies what Martin calls "the best concert of our lives". Almost all wrists are equipped with "xylobands", flashing wristbands that are controlled by radio signals and that were distributed free of charge at the entrance. Allegedly, that swallows almost all of the revenues. And actually achieves a stunning effect.

Berryman, Buckland, Champion and Martin are all likeable. They seem unapproachable at the Red Bull Arena, but only because of the distance. It would not work without the screens. Of course, when Chris shouts "We want you to go crazy", then there is a lot of pathos behind it. But you buy it. Laser beams cut through the smoke-filled air, while "The Scientist" dreams of the new beginning of a failed relationship. A tender, melancholy song, Coldplay at their best. Very big stadium rock that here collides with your ears/bangs into your ears. As they say themselves: "The extremely hard softness of rock music."

"Thanks, Leipzig, we had a great time in your city," so the audience is told at the end. Then there is only one thing to say: "Please, dispose of the wristbands in the waste bins provided". So the dish-shaped screens / disc screens inform the audience.

THANKS TO THALIA FOR HER KIND ASSISTANCE. :thumbsup:

Thalia, you are the FUN in person!!! :laugh3::laugh3::laugh3:

I loved your review (the smilies on your faces :lol:) and all the pics! And I'm glad you had such an awesome time and all this eye-contact with Chris and Jonny!

I'm sure that balloon was there waiting for you to notice it :laugh: In the end, every coldplayer is a perv :lol:

Thalia, you are the FUN in person!!! :laugh3::laugh3::laugh3:

I loved your review (the smilies on your faces :lol:) and all the pics! And I'm glad you had such an awesome time and all this eye-contact with Chris and Jonny!

I'm sure that balloon was there waiting for you to notice it :laugh: In the end, every coldplayer is a perv :lol:

Awww thank you! :wacky: I just want to be happy at the concert, as well having happy people around me. Joana for example even laughed at the cheapest craptastingly english jokes I made and we all had a great fun just behaving like 5 year olds the whole time! :lol:

Yeah the eye-contact was a rather nice add to the whole show :wacky:

I'm telling you, Coldplay is a pervy band with pervy artists spraying pervy stuff on balloons, I KNEW IT ALL THE TIME! :laugh3::sneaky:

Awww thank you! :wacky: I just want to be happy at the concert, as well having happy people around me. Joana for example even laughed at the cheapest craptastingly english jokes I made and we all had a great fun just behaving like 5 year olds the whole time! :lol:

Yeah the eye-contact was a rather nice add to the whole show :wacky:

I'm telling you, Coldplay is a pervy band with pervy artists spraying pervy stuff on balloons, I KNEW IT ALL THE TIME! :laugh3::sneaky:

:laugh3: You're welcome! :nice:

BAHAHAHA I agree, that's just so easy to see :dozey: :laugh3:

TRANSLATION by NANCY BOYSEN of

http://www.sz-online.de/nachrichten/artikel.asp?id=3158031 /

Montag, 17. September 2012

(Sächsische Zeitung)

Martin’s material battle

By Marco Mach

Fireworks, confetti, lasers - Coldplay make use of heavy artillery in Leipzig and enchant 40,000.

At kick-off, the soundtrack from "Back to the Future" is heard. But the four Brit poppers in Coldplay do not take their 40,000 fans into the future, but into their very own world on Friday night in Leipzig. What follows is a spectacular, through-composed show. A true battle of material in three acts.

Act 1: The big bang from the beginning. Shortly after 21 o’clock the wristbands that everyone got at the entrance are activated for the first time via radio signal. The nearly sold-out Red Bull Arena is thus transformed into a sea of white, yellow, red and green spots. There are also fireworks in synchronity with the music, more confetti showers, laser beams and giant balls. Singer Chris Martin kicks them again and again into the crowd when he runs back and forth on the stage and on the runway. It is not long until his shirt is drenched in sweat, he drops on the floor for the first of many times that night. But his condition is good – he is far from exhausted - despite this energetic start.This overstimulation, in which the audience does not quite know where to look first. They are only stunned - and enjoying the show.

Act 2: Take a deep breath. After the music is initially overshadowed by the show, it is in the foreground no later than when Chris Martin starts to play the emotional "The Scientist". The five screens in the form of portholes show crystalclear a frontman who plays and sings as if in a trance. His piano is as colorful as the whole show, like the mats behind the stage, the technology tents, the cover of the new album "Mylo Xyloto".

Martin then sings " princess of China" with Rihanna. In Leipzig she does not come onstage to sing it live as she did at the Paralympics Final in London, but she only looks through the portholes. At this time, the band that was founded in 1996 and is one of the most successful bands in recent years has moved closer to their fans up front at the top of the runway. And when the hymns "Viva La Vida" and "Paradise" are heard, the stadium goes completely crazy,and the concert-goers in the stands are no longer in their seats. 40,000 throats are singing and humming together in chorus.

Act 3: The Grand Finale. With such an atmosphere, Chris Martin, guitarist Jonny Buckland, drummer Will Champion and Guy Berryman on bass have to keep on playing. But as the first encore is played, the stage remains empty. The same applies to the runway. For two songs the quartet climbs a small platform at the other end of the stadium. That it rains, does not bother anyone. In connection with "Fix You" the atmosphere is again emotional, before after almost two hours a second fireworks ends the show, but not the humming of the fans. Coldplay are not just masters of ballads, but also of staging.

Chris Martin has not promised too much when at kick-off he announced the best concert the fans had ever been attending. No matter that he said the same thing two days before in Munich, and probably everywhere where the same show is performed. Noone wants a quick return from this motley Coldplay world. Certainly not into the uncertain future.

From the printed version of LVZ on 15. September 2012 (as posted by Thalia in connection with her awesome review in post 166 - here is that part that was not on the web-version that I had already translated):

The current album dominates the setlist. Coldplay is not a band that rather avoids the newer songs because noone knows them in order to quickly get to the classics. Here each song is a hit. For fans from the early years „Princess of China“ is a small breach of taboo as Chris Martin here sings in duet with a certain Rihanna who has almost so much to do with alternative rock as a Big Mac with the French kitchen. Fans of this song also like it when Rihanna only can be seen on the big screen. Coldplay has become pop for several generations inbetween - instead of as earlier only „Yellow“ (that of course is played as well) they are now multi-coloured („quietsch-bunt“). Five-year-old children listen to Coldplay with earplugs next to 60-year-old people. The 13-year-old Michelle has come here from Aschaffenburg together with her aunt and the mother of her aunt. Their eyes are big, and even the aunt puts a good face on the big game.

But what kind of show is that? A show that is toiling between children's birthday, comic strip, graffiti gibberish and New Year's Party? More is not always more, and just Coldplay that defines themselves based on the song do not at all need the magic. Here, from time to time you do not know where to turn when so much is going on.

After „Paradise“ it is time for the encore. For „Speed of Sound“ the four boys appear on a small stage at the other end of the stadium, then they disappear again and end the concert where they started. After the great „Clocks“ it starts to drizzle what inspires Chris Martin & Co. to play and sing „Singing in the Rain“. It is followed by „Fix You“, fireworks and jubilation/cheers.

Thank you for all the great reviews! Thalia you made me feel like I was there with you! stupid scanners!! Argh.. we had the same thing.. so frustrating! But meeting other coldplayers and Coldplay fans is the best! I am so glad you had a great time.

Wonderful photos and you have SUCH interesting faces! :p Loved it..

Yet again, when it rains it pours for me here in Germany; I get a bit of a cold that turns into a sinus infection with an ear infection, a fever and the makings on bronchitis. Not to mention, whenever I start to get bronchitis I somehow manage to create spinal blockage. Sounds horrible right? Ach, it sucks.

ANYWAY, I bought Coldplay tickets many, many weeks ago and I was so over the moon. I’ve always wanted to see Coldplay, and each time I had the chance I chickened out because no one would go with me. Little known fact about me: I have an anxiety problem in crowds. Sure no one feels incredibly comfortable in crowds, except to say that I start having a difficult time breathing, I feel suffocated, insecure, anxious, paranoid…. just terrible. But if I really want to see something, I try to overcome this and now that I have the G-Man with me, I can do this while wrapped in his arms, creating an anxiety-free cocoon. Well maybe not anxiety-free but manageable. So this is how it goes; I’m sick and anxious and surrounded by no-boundries Germans. I say this because Germans get all up in your space and they won’t apologize, say excuse-me, they just do whatever the hell they want. Ask any expat about this, and they’ll agree. Germans do not care that you are standing there, they will cut you, push you aside as if you don’t exist. And Leipzig, East Germany, not very pretty with Germans that speak in a really funny accent was no different. This did not have the makings of the best concert for me.

However, it was the very best concert I’ve ever been to in my life. It was stunning, and although the Germans did aggravate me I overcame it once Coldplay came out.

First let me say this; Coldplay doesn’t just give you a performance, they give you an experience. They make you feel special. You get these light up wristbands, so colorful and cool, they have fireworks and clouds of confetti floating down on you, and splattered painted beach balls, and they prove how talented they are live. This made me forget about how sick I was at that moment, I was that engrossed. It was romantic and fun, beautiful and unforgettable. So after all my griping about being ill and wah wah wah, I had the best experience ever. I got so wrapped up I missed taking pictures, but I did capture just 2. Now I’ll certainly have to see them again so I can relive the splendor.

Thanks Coldplay for everything! You are truly the best!! And to anyone reading this, go see them. You will not regret it, even if the next day you cannot function with a high fever, body aches and loud coughing that disturbs your neighbors. Worth it! [thanks Ellie] http://elliegoestogermany.wordpress.com/2012/09/16/leipzig-and-coldplay-concert/

Well, it has been an eventful few days. I had plans to travel to Leipzig, Germany this weekend to see Coldplay. Everything was underway but my train got in a serious accident. I won't go into the gory details but it was really sad. It really put a damper on my mood and added a 2+ hour delay to my travel time. But, after that fiasco, I managed to make it to Coldplay and the concert was still incredible. I had checked the weather a few days in advance to make sure it wasn't going to rain since the concert was in an open arena, but randomly it turned COLD and I had not packed appropriately. Just as I had hoped, they played almost all of my favorite older songs, including Fix You, In My Place, Yellow, Speed of Sound, and X&Y. It was quite a show: they had confetti, gave everyone light up bracelets, shot off fireworks from stage, and these huge blow up statues popped up around the crowd. Being from Nashville, I've been to my fair share of concerts. But I was nervous, going to a concert alone. I ended up, however, having a fabulous time and really enjoying the beautiful music of Coldplay. [thanks Laura Grace] http://lauragracecarroll.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/coldplay-and-colder-weather.html

This year on my birthday I got the best gift that you can be allowed to have: a ticket to the Coldplay concert in Leipzig. For weeks I was always bright-eyed in front of the TV, watching the commercials of the tour, interviews and live performances .. but that I would get the gift cards, I would have never thought. On Friday right after school we went so go: In the car were once all albums by mitgegrölt heard and the songs. We slept at a friend and then went by tram to the Redbullarena. Then we climbed even out at the wrong stop, but we just followed the crowd and stood up once before Redbullarena (in reality it is quite small, on TV she always looks so great: D). A support act had already begun to play when we arrived, but it was not that bad. The band "Blackmail" consisted of a front woman rumsprang hysterically all the time on stage and bellowed unintelligible stuff: D Then "Marina The Diamonds" came out and I can only say that this woman and the band are really super cute. She can sing really great and it is one of the best singers I could hear her singing ever. I really have respect for this small, stunningly beautiful woman ♥ Then, only dark firstonce - for about an hour and then it started. Confetti, balloons, laser show, fireworks in rainbow colors, glowing bracelets that we received at the input, favorite songs, and everyone was singing along just simply the best band in the world. I cried every time I applauded the hell out of them and hoped that it will never be over. But unfortunately it went and I went with my sister and brother in law on the tram back to our friend and smiled myself to sleep ... [thanks objektivleben] http://objektivleben.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/coldplay-in-concert-leipzig-red-bull.html

I never good but can be tested on awesome show. Indeed, it was fucking awesome. Chris Martin is a great entertainer (Quote: "Excuse me for speaking English, but speaking German all the time is fucking shit."). The show had all: ballads, massive sing-alongs, a surprising appearance on the other end of the arena, amonst the people there and, the most marvelous thing: The wristbands. We got them at the entrance and later in the show they shone and blinked, controlled by some technician They also did two encores - yeah, I have to notice that. Depeche Mode spoiled me, so I am a dissappionted but by the fact that we were at home at midnight So, the show was a bit too short. But that's not bad. I even needed a break to breathe after some songs, just because it was so thrilling to sing and dance and be a part of a crowd, to be one voice. That's what I love about concerts: Singing along and feeling the crowd. Coldplay played every song that is important to me: "Paradise", of course, "Violet Hill", "The Scientist" and "Fix You". But they played so songs that are not that known, Which I really appreciate. On the way back, in the tram, the driver had to brake really hard because a car cut the right of way. After the tram stood still, and we all had gasped, the driver said deadpan: "Well at least nobody could've fallen over. The tram is crowded enough. " Now I like Coldplay even more. And on the next tour we will definitely be attending. Promised. [thanks bouquinesse] http://bouquinesse.wordpress.com/2012/09/16/sparks/