✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[14-Sep-2012] Coldplay @ Red Bull Arena, Leipzig, Germany

Jenjie

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah I'm also waiting for thalia's review, I bet she took some nice photos :charming:

and where are other long reviews??! :\

I looked yesterday googling Coldplay Leipzig Rezension and found only 2 relevant reviews. One was a preview (I think), but I will take a closer look when I have completed the big one I am working on (I have posted the first half last night before going to bed).

I have translated 1½ relevant reviews.

Some of the results of the googling was articles / info in relation to purchase of tickets for the Leipzig concert.

But if you find some, please post the link(s), because making good translations do take some time, and my time is not unlimited (my flat is quite messy for the time being, lol).

I will complete the long review around 14 CET (I think). And I am also looking forward to Thalia's review.

EDIT: I have now completed the long review - it can be read in post 149 on the previous page.

I looked yesterday googling Coldplay Leipzig Rezension and found only 2 relevant reviews. One was a preview (I think), but I will take a closer look when I have completed the big one I am working on (I have posted the first half last night before going to bed).

I have translated 1½ relevant reviews.

Some of the result of the googling was about tickets for the Leipzig concert.

But if you find some, please post the link(s), because making good translations do take some time, and my time is not unlimited (my flat is quite messy for the time being, lol).

I will complete the long review around 14 CET (I think). And I am also looking forward to Thalia's review.

thanks for your translations :nice: but i'm not talking about website reviews, I meant the reviews from members... :\

leip.jpg

Panorama: Red Bull Stadium, Leipzig

16 September 2012 3:01 pm

Here's the pre-show shot from Friday night's concert

news_line.png

Good afternoon. Here's Roadie #42's pre-show crowd panorama from Friday night's concert in Leipzig, Germany. Click on it to see the hi-res version. And add your Leipzig photos to our Live Archive here.

20120914LeipzigSmall.jpg

Click here for all the other summer 2012 crowd panoramas.

Anchorman

yeah I'm also waiting for thalia's review, I bet she took some nice photos :charming:

and where are other long reviews??! :\

Hey jeremyy, I don't know if you remember me from the concert in cologne?

Well, finally Thalia and me are back from Leipzig and of course Thalia is going to write the review. So don't worry, you'll get to know what happened, but I won't say anything now, otherwise some things would be said over and over again. Only that it was GREAAAT!!!! :wacky:

We also met some from the forum, but they don't post much and are only here to read.

So it's worth the time to wait for Thalia's review.

I'm gonna read now what's been written here. Didn't have time for that yet. :nice:

Greetings to everybody!

TRANSLATION by Nancy Boysen of

http://www.festivalisten.de/43075-so-wars-coldplay-in-leipzig

What it was like: Coldplay in Leipzig

Posted by Sven Morgenstern on 16 September 2012 in Bands: Konzerte

You can think of Coldplay, what you want. You can label the British band as a radio popband. You do not have to love the sentimentality on which their songs are based unconditionally/absolutely. But you cannot blame them of being bad band live.

Friday, 14 September around 23:00 o’clock. A huge crowd pushes through a tunnel out of the Red Bull Arena in Leipzig. Out of nowhere, suddenly an impressive choir can be heard singing "Viva La Vida". In no time, this choir is spreading in the tunnel, nearly all people are singing along. It is for me a proof that I am not the only one who was highly impressed with this concert. But first things first.

One thing first: I like Coldplay, but I am not a huge fan. The impressive show that Coldplay rendered at the closing ceremony of the Paralympic Games last Sunday at London's Olympic Stadium caused me to make an effort to get hold of a ticket.

Since I found all offers on the Internet too vague in terms of timely delivery of the tickets, it is soon clear to me that I will do my best to get hold of a ticket in front of the stadium. Nothing is easier than that, because at every street corner there are people who want to get rid of tickets for the concert. Eventually, I have to pay / shell out € 55 for my ticket - a good price for a standing place considering the pre-sale price of little less than € 75.

Direct at the entrance, a wristband with a rather clunky box (clunky = clumsy in style) is handed out to each concert-goer. If I had not previously read any reports of past concerts, I would have been stunned and not know what this was all about. The first impression upon entering the stadium is impressive. In front of me is a stage with no less than five LED screens. The seating area behind the stage is provided with a gigantic cloth on which city names are listed with neon colours - presumably the tour stops so far.

It starts on time at 19:00 o‘clock with Charlie XCX. What the meaning is of letting such an "artist" play as a Coldplay support act is a mystery to me. Inappropriate and unnecessary. And given the lack of public reaction I seem to be not the only one with this opinion. The situation is similar with the second support act Marina & The Diamonds. Because let's face it: Who needs a cheap Katy Perry look-alike as the opening act for Coldplay? Right! Nobody. After all, Marina can resort to a few radio hits, which the audience rewarded with applause. Nevertheless, at the end is only the realization that you could have spent these 30 minutes in a more meaningful way. With the straightening of bananas, for example.

The unspeakable support acts are, however, immediately forgotten as around 21:15 o’clock the "Back to the Future" theme is heard from the loudspeakers. With "Hurts Like Heaven", the four Londoners start the concert. From the very beginning, all the stops are pulled visually. Fireworks, oversized balloons and large quantities of confetti provide a spectacular start. And: flashing ribbon. You might find it silly or exaggerated. But it just looks impressive when ten thousands of arms held in the air are flashing to the beat of the song. Frontman Chris Martin, meanwhile, promises the viewers the best concert of their lives - a big demand that the band seem to meet in the opinion of many concert-goers.

The first big hit follows directly with "In My Place". The only disturbing element here seems to be the incredibly numerous flashlights and camera display, which may have hampered primarily diminutive spectators’ view of the stage. It continues with "Major Minus" and "Lovers In Japan" after which immediately the next big number follows with "The Scientist".

My personal highlight of the evening, however, is this brief moment of peace, in which the stage is completely immersed in warm yellow light and Chris Martin plays the first few bars of "Yellow" on the piano. The band plays from hit to hit through the set - always accompanied by impressive graphic animations on the LED screens, accompanied by confetti rain and flashing wristbands.

"God Put A Smile Upon Your Face” ends the first part of the concert. Because now, all band members are together on the runway that extends far into the audience. The traditional drum set is exchanged for the electronic, and the band members play with "Princess of China" the only truly expendable song of the night. For apart from the fact that the song - in terms of quality - falls through already on "Mylo Xyloto", it also looks a little ridiculous live when Rihanna’s part is only a recorded version.

There is an incredible amount of movement on stage. Especially Chris Martin and Jonny Buckland use the entire width again and again to present themselves to the audience. With the interlude "A Hopeful Transmission" the British then return to the traditional set-up on the stage. Everything is choreographed perfectly. Even as Chris Martin apparently exhausted goes down, that is probably not more than staged. The next big hits follow with "Viva La Vida" and "Charlie Brown" before the "regular set" ends with "Paradise". It is the moment in which I fully realize how many hits the band has written in the twelve years since the release of their debut album "Parachutes".

But - who would have expected that – also Coldplay give an encore, of course. But Coldplay would not be Coldplay, if they did not have a surprise as well in store for the encore. So only disbelief reigned as the first notes of the encore could be heard; on the stage nothing could be seen of the band far and wide. The solution to the mystery: In the back right area of the interior a small stage had been established that was used for two songs.

A little magic is finally in the air as in time for the line "Like a river to a raindrop, I lost a friend" the first raindrops fall from the otherwise friendly Leipzig night sky.

Chris Martin personally causes the biggest laugh of the evening when - in the middle of "Clocks" - he starts to sing Carly Ray Jepsen's "Call Me Maybe". Somewhat out of place seems the "Singing In The Rain" intro to "Fix You", because the rain has moved on again at this point. A worthy conclusion is finally "Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall" - accompanied again by tons of confetti, flashing wristbands and pyrotechnics.

Thank you Coldplay for a great show. Thank you for 100 minutes of great entertainment. Or to say it with your words: You put a smile upon my face!

Hey jeremyy, I don't know if you remember me from the concert in cologne?

Well, finally Thalia and me are back from Leipzig and of course Thalia is going to write the review. So don't worry, you'll get to know what happened, but I won't say anything now, otherwise some things would be said over and over again. Only that it was GREAAAT!!!! :wacky:

We also met some from the forum, but they don't post much and are only here to read.

So it's worth the time to wait for Thalia's review.

I'm gonna read now what's been written here. Didn't have time for that yet. :nice:

Greetings to everybody!

hi, sorry i couldn't remember you :embarrassed:

yeah let's wait for Thalia's review :dance: :dance:

leip.jpg

Panorama: Red Bull Stadium, Leipzig

16 September 2012 3:01 pm

Here's the pre-show shot from Friday night's concert

news_line.png

Good afternoon. Here's Roadie #42's pre-show crowd panorama from Friday night's concert in Leipzig, Germany. Click on it to see the hi-res version. And add your Leipzig photos to our Live Archive here.

20120914LeipzigSmall.jpg

Click here for all the other summer 2012 crowd panoramas.

Anchorman

thalia is holding happy birthday jonny banner :awesome:

oh where is Chris :uhoh: I think he was meeting with coldplay when this photo was taken :uhoh:

HELLLOOOO EVEREEEBODEEE!! Here's my badass epic long time consuming and detail laden Leipzig review! :dance::charming: Have fun reading! :D Oh and I made smilies over our faces because I'm that paranoid <__<

Anyways, here it goes:

My best friend, her mother and I arrived at Leipzig the day before so that we could get all prepared for the gig and find the right way to the stadium (it was only about 2 and a half kilometres away, but we didn't know that). The next day was freaking great, the sky was blue, the sun was hot, and the wind was cold, so we didn't sweat. Sweet! So Julia and I got our stuff (I got this really fancy fanny back lol), took out our Leipzig map and started walking to the stadium at 10am. Julia's mother got a seating ticket so she would come to the stadium later that day.

We knew we could go a little bit later to this CP concert because we've been told that the people in Leipzig aren't as concert-crazy as other certain fans (*coughPariscough*:lol:).

I turned to the right at one point and saw this lovely birdy:

P1020284.jpg

:cheesy:

And knowing that this heron is a symbol of luck (other something like that) made us even more joyful about the concert! :dance:

Then we went along a big street, totally fangirling around with our tshirts on and everything, people gave us some crazy looks already haha, and out of nowhere one of these big black BEAT THE STREET tourbusses drove past us. We got a little heart-attack and thought that maybe some of Coldplay's lovely roadies were in there. We watched closely where the tourbus was going, and it was exactly the direction we were heading for, so we kinda jogged/walked after it because we were absolutely HYPER! :laugh3: After another 10 minutes we arrived at a nice park and saw the stadium.

Well we thought we saw it, then realised it was rather small for an epic band like Coldplay, but there wwas a bunch of said tourbusses so we looked a little bit closer. Turned out that they were just parking there and nothing else. After pondering a while about where the stadium could be, Julia went like „OMG look over there!!“ and we saw this:

P1020290.jpg

behind a freaking forest or something. That thing was HUGE. We knew that this white arc was from the stadium so we finally got our answer where it was hiding!

Our fangirling started again and we continued our retarding dancing/jogging/whatever walking towards the stadium. Oh and have I mentioned that people thought we were crazy? :lol: In the distance we noticed an advertising column, ran towards it because our inner fangirls told us that there might be something Coldplay related on it. And right we were!

P1020287.jpg

P10202882.jpg

After another 10 minutes we finally saw the whole stadium, along with lots of Coldplay advertising posters on lamp posts and trees.

P1020289.jpg

YAY finally! Letting our excitement out by running like maniacs, we flew over the crapload of stairs straight to the entrance of the building. And there were already people queing, but only five, so it was all cool :sweatdrop:

P1020316.jpg

P1020315.jpg

Then one of the security guys told us that there's only one entrance for ALL the standing area ticket holders and we got a little bit nervous about that, because that meant that like half of the concert goers had to squish through this entrance... oh well, better get in the first line then!

So we sat down, enjoyed this beautiful weather:

P1020308.jpg

P1020307.jpg

and waited.

And after 5 minutes I was bored and talked to other fans :awesome:

Julia and I met the awesome Joana, who came all the way from Poland just to see the band. And this poor soul was sick and she was fearing she wouldn't survive until Coldplay would play. We assured her that we would drag her to the front if we had to, so her panic went away a little. Coldplayers unite dudes! :awesome: And I brought out my little music cube again and made everyone force to listen to the Coldplay discography on max volume :laugh3: I think they didn't mind though..

Then Julia, Joana and I decided that a little walk around the stadium wouldn't hurt so we got up and inspected the place a little. Since we didn't have anything intelligent to do we took photos of Coldplay flyers and information panels, and tour busses. Some of the roadies (?) gave us some veeery eerie looks...

P1020292.jpg

P1020293.jpg

P1020296.jpg

P1020298.jpg

P1020299.jpg

P1020294.jpg

^ artistic shadow photo is artistic :nod:

Later we met the amazingly crazy Chris from Switzerland who followed the band through whole Europe tour (this was his 24th concert)!! You all should know him by his fantastic Chris Martin's style jacket and the elephant head from the paradise video he brings to every gig. He even had his own fanclub already because so many people saw him at the other concerts, and there were like 5 people posing with him and taking pictures. Cool dude!

After totally fangirling over him as well this happened to me:

P1020312.jpg

oh and Julia got her dose of elephant, too:

P1020314.jpg

:dance: THANK YOU CHRIS!! That thing was hot though lol.

ANYWAYS, the day went on and the excitement and nervousness grew, but it wasn't even half as bad as it was in Cologne. Actually we were rather surprised that there were only around 30 people at 2:30pm :stunned: During that time I got bored again and walked around a bit, because it was possible as I wasn't squished by pushing fans from behind in the cue like in Cologne. I found a pizza box and totally drew on it just because:

P1020303.jpg

and then Joana suggested that I shall draw us at the concert so I did:

P1020304.jpg

Yep, that should be accurate enough :nod:

:lol:

Suddenly it was 4pm and people were standing and pushing a little. The secritiy guys started forming a little group and went to the 7 metal entrances in front of us with scanners in their hands and packages of xylobands behind them. We all got our stuff ready, but wouldn't the gates open at 5pm and not like, NOW?? The security people didn't have a clue either after asking them, and one of them even said „Well I wouldn't mind let you in now“ Well okay then :bomb:

We continued standing for another 15 minutes when suddenly all the security men turned around to us, opened the metal gates and yelled „Gates are open!“

Now let the pushin' begin! Chris the epic elephant hat fan was standing right in front of me, so I was second in the line, hooray! :awesome: Julia was standing behind me (I think) and told me I should run and safe her a place.

And then the scanners didn't work properly :dead: I freaked out and looked to my left and right side to check if I was the only fool standing there with a shivering hand, holding up my ticket and wishing for the fucking scanner to work. Fortunately nobody was let through since all the scanners didn't work. 10 seconds later that felt like 10 days they finally started beeping and the security guy waved Chris through to another security man behind the metal gates. I was closely behind, held my ticket in front of the scanner, stared at it until it beeped too and went to the next man who checked my fanny pack for anything that might be dangerous. I was standing there like a freaking ferret on speed, I just wanted to run til my legs would catch fire!! But since you get killed by these security guys for even THINKING about running I walked to another security woman who gave me a xyloband, yelled „THANKS“ into her face and started walking a little bit faster towards the entrance. Some other fans and I checked our surroundings, found no evil security guy around and started running like SPAZZ. It didn't help that the tunnel to the inside of the stadium was descending so everyone got faster and faster and we couldn't even stop anymore :lol: We all flew through a line of confused security men who fortunately were too surprised to stop us, and then the MX stage was in sight aaahh!! Then when our group of 20 lucky runners thought we'd finally hug the front barrier, we got told at a little gap at the general standing area barriers on the left side that we need bracelets first on the RIGHT side and shall come back to them when we got them. We were like „You fucking kiddin ME!?“ but ran anyway to __ONE__ guy that had a bunch of yellow bracelets in his hands. After he saw our growing group of fans running like rabid infected wolves towards him he looked a little bit overhelmed. We all shoved our arms into his face and were like „HURRY UP DUDE“ when one of the security guys from the left side was screaming to us „Screw that, come back over here, you don't need them!“

…:freak:

So we ran back to the left side again and all showed our tickets and squeezed us through and finally, FINALLY ran towards the lovely stage. I threw myself against the left side of the MX stage and just collapsed there and waited for Julia to arrive. She quickly did, so did all the other fans I've met so far.

I've tried to put together single pictures to make a panorama, it turned into a failorama, but you know... better than nothing :lol: Put them in a row to get it right:

pan1.jpg

pan2.jpg

pan3.jpg

pan4.jpg

or the small version:

Panorama.jpg

P1020328.jpg

P1020324.jpg

P1020329.jpg

Hooray! Now it was time to chill and calm down, since it was only 4:10 pm or something.

I talked to some people on my right side, and they circled some places on our Leipzig map that we should visit on our next day. Awesome people! :thumbsup:

P1020353.jpg

The day went on, we passed the time by talking to all the fans around us, until Charlie XCX came on stage. The bass was too loud again, but I start to believe it's supposed to be that loud :uhoh: Well her shoes were impressing, her music not really.

P1020400.jpg

Oh well :shrug:

After her Marina and the Diamonds went on stage. I thought she awesome, and so did the rest of the few thousand people in the stadium! Everybody cheered at her much more than in Cologne the last time, and she even took her shoes of and told us that she only does that when she enjoys the gig and never did it before, hahaha!

She left with thanking us again and we all got excited for Coldplay.

Then all the roadies came to the stage and starting pulling out the MX instruments from beneath the black drapes. A while later only a few roadies were left, then no one. And then one roadie with a little girl by his side walked slowly over the MX stage. My god that was so cute! Everybody around me was AWWWWing and giggling and pointing at the girl, that looked absolutely terrified by all the people around here. Fair enough. Then the roadie (her dad? Uncle?) made the crowd cheer at the and of the MX stage and took a picture of the girl and the crowd behind. CUTENESS OVERLOAD.

P1020365.jpg

P1020366.jpg

Miller came on stage later on and did the panorama shot. We got our HAPPY BIRTHDAY JONNY poster out and hoped it would be visible. I still haven't seen Miller's photo lol, I hope it looks okay...

Oh and there was also a little gap between the black drapes that covered the MX stage. I let out my inner creeper and took pictures of it and tried to get a good look what was going on behind the stage :wideeyed:

P1020379.jpg

P1020380.jpg

So the roadies went away, and 99 Problems started playing. Party time everyone!! We rapped along the song, then it got dark.

Back to the future theme and finally COLDPLAY BIATCHES!

P1020406.jpg

P1020408.jpg

P1020409.jpg

P1020410.jpg

P1020411.jpg

Well, I just realised this review is rather long by now :uhoh: Okay um, I'll pick out the most awesome parts of the concert and write them down in a list:

- Chris ran past us at some song before IMP, and saw our banner. Since it wasn't for him but for Jonny, we hadn't pulled it up all the way so as he was running back to the main stage, he bent down a little and gave us a puzzling look and pointed at the banner. Julia lifted it a little bit too fast so it was all in my face SUFHSDKLFH and she later told me, because I didn't SEE A SINGLE FUCK THAT MOMENT /rage, that Chris smiled and put his hand quickly over his heart and ran off.

I so need a video of that :|

- During IMP we screamed our lungs out to get Jonny's attention when he started walking down the MX stage, and he saw the banner and smiled even longer at us than last time in Cologne HOLY SHIT my fangirl heart :dead: I think he thinks I'm a freak because I started jumping like a lunatic when he looked at me :uhoh:

- Chris looked at us AGAIN when he sang ETIAW, well he just stared at Julia and me for 2 seconds when he was standing exactly in front of us on the MX stage :drunk:

/fangirl

OKAY so what else could I say? Warning Sign was breathtakingly beautiful, Chris's guitar in the beginning of GPASUYF didn't work and he apologized quite a lot to us (:wacky:), he said a few sentences in German *MELT* and he was all over Guy again and hugging him, giving him high fives and smiles, Chris/Jonny moments at the end of IMP where Julia was freaking out because she thought they were going to kiss :lol:, I got confetti in my mouth 3 times and one time in my eye.

And then it started to rain towards the end of the gig and Chris mentioned a few time in the lyrics. He also sang Singing in the Rain. And then after that Clocks came on, and when the green and yellow laser beams hit the raindrops it looked like there were crystals floating above us, freaking unreal! :drunk:

The concert went over in what felt like a heart beat, as it always does, but it was so, so wonderful. Meeting all the sweet people, the wonderful concert, the glorious stage effects, lights, confetti and balloons.

That reminds me, I saw a balloon at the end of the concert that someone managed to catch. Unfortunately I didn't manage to take a picture of it, but it looked like this:

penisballoon.jpg

And yes, there was a freaking penis on it. I swear, I even went over there and yelled to the people „WHAT IS THIS!? There's a penis on it, it's a penis balloon!! :laugh3:“ They were staring at me, then the balloon, and then smiled. LOL THEM PERVS!

Then we all got out, took the tram and went to the trainstation that was PACKED with Coldplayers. They were everywhere, on the street, in the shops, around me, it was fantastic tihih :cheesy:

Hah, good times. Can't wait to see the band on the next tour.

And here are some scans from the newspaper LEIPZIGER VOLKSZEITUNG the next morning:

Leipzigervolkszeitung2.jpg

Leipzigervolkszeitung1.jpg

THANKS for the review :awesome:

Chris ran past us at some song before IMP, and saw our banner. Since it wasn't for him but for Jonny, we hadn't pulled it up all the way so as he was running back to the main stage, he bent down a little and gave us a puzzling look and pointed at the banner. Julia lifted it a little bit too fast so it was all in my face SUFHSDKLFH and she later told me, because I didn't SEE A SINGLE FUCK THAT MOMENT /rage, that Chris smiled and put his hand quickly over his heart and ran off.

I so need a video of that

- During IMP we screamed our lungs out to get Jonny's attention when he started walking down the MX stage, and he saw the banner and smiled even longer at us than last time in Cologne HOLY SHIT my fangirl heart I think he thinks I'm a freak because I started jumping like a lunatic when he looked at me

- Chris looked at us AGAIN when he sang ETIAW, well he just stared at Julia and me for 2 seconds when he was standing exactly in front of us on the MX stage

/fangirl

OMG so much fangirl moment :dead: :dead: :dead: we should find video of those moments on youtube or somewhere else :awesome:

and yeah that balloon :wtf: :wtf:

^^^ Great, entertaining interview, Thalia.

I have translated the web-version of the newspaper article you posted, but I noticed that there were some more paragraphs in the printed newspaper version.

At the end of the web-version: You can read more in the LVZ printed version as of 15 September or in the E-Paper.

So thank you for posting the entire article. And thanks for your entertaining review. :awesome: