✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[14-Sep-2012] Coldplay @ Red Bull Arena, Leipzig, Germany

Jenjie

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for posting all the lovely pictures, Tash. :thumbsup: as always

I am now starting to translate the review you posted the link to http://www.lvz-online.de/kultur/news/coldplay-verzaubern-leipzig--40000-zuschauer-in-der-red-bull-arena/r-news-a-155202.html) followed by an interview with Will Champion made before the show in Leipzig (http://www.lvz-online.de/kultur/news/coldplay/r-news-a-154991.html). Is the translation of that interview to be posted here?

TRANSLATION of

http://www.lvz-online.de/kultur/news/coldplay-verzaubern-leipzig--40000-zuschauer-in-der-red-bull-arena/r-news-a-155202.html

Cultural news

Red Bull Arena in Leipzig is glowing caused by Coldplay with their heartbreaking anthems

Jürgen Kleindienst / translated by NANCY BOYSEN

Leipzig. This music knows no ifs and no buts, no somehow, no both-and. What Chris Martin, guitarist Jonny Buckland, drummer Will Champion and Guy Berryman on bass do onstage, that does not aim at the head, carries no message other than itself, but it pierces your heart. There, where the pain is sweet, when, as in most Coldplay songs, there is still an opening, out in the open arms of the great love: "Oh, you use your heart as a weapon - and that hurts like heaven”, sings Chris Martin in "Hurts Like Heaven" from their latest album" Mylo Xyloto ", a word which according to the band is not meant to mean anything.

It is the first song of a concert that had begun early in the evening with Charli XCX and Marina and the Diamonds. Now it is 21:10 (9:10pm central European time), darkgray hour. A stadium is reset, nothing, Mylo Xyloto. A recorded version of the title track of the science-fiction film series „Back to the Future" is played, what probably unintentionally alludes to the production pomp of the past two Coldplay albums (meaning that these 2 albums are overproduced). But that does not interest anyone this evening when the light goes out and 4 very nice, likeable young men come on stage.

But what does stage mean here? It is a type of fantasy land with fluorescent mats behind the stage, five round screens, lasers that in thin beams cut through the night, giant balls and light, light, light. Almost everyone in the audience is lit that night what is caused by flashing wristbands that are triggered via radio and that you received at the entrance. Ten thousand fireflies are swaying to the beat. Even at the stadium roof colorful dots are flickering back and forth.

Already when the first song starts, firework is shot in the air, confetti is blown out of several cannons in the wind. Chris Martin is running, romping, bouncing like a puppy on the ramp/runway that extends far into the sea of arms and lights. When singing the second song, "In My Place", he's already sweating, he lies down on his back and enjoys the cheers. He says a few German words: "It is a honour to be here," he shouts in German with accent. And: "German is too fucking hard for me all the time." Never mind, Chris!

You can read more in the LVZ printed version as of 15 September or in the E-Paper.

© LVZ-Online, 14.09.2012 at 22:50 (10:50pm Central European Time)

Also from LVZ-Online (an introduction to the translation above):

Leipzig. What a spectacle! Last night, the British band Coldplay has pulled all the stops for a little more than 90 minutes at the Red Bull Arena in Leipzig and put 40,000 fans into ecstacy. Forgotten were traffic jams, early fall, and all the axle and woes of everyday life. However, - because of the gigantic show - the essential sometimes threatened to fall into the background: the music. (Meaning: The music – the essential thing – threatened to be overshadowed by the gigantic show with all the gimmickry).

Cultural news / http://www.lvz-online.de/kultur/news/coldplay/r-news-a-154991.html

Ahead of today’s concert at the Red-Bull-Arena: Interview with Coldplay’s drummer Champion

Interview: Jürgen Kleindienst / translation by Nancy Boysen

Leipzig. It is the concert of the year in Leipzig: Tonight Coldplay is going to play the Red-Bull-Arena in front of ten thousand fans. In this interview drummer Will Champion (36) speaks about shyness, energy, Rihanna and a Leipzig-experience almost 12 years ago.

Question: Coldplay become bigger and bigger. Do you wake up sometimes and are afraid that this is all a giant bubble that could suddenly burst?

Will Champion: „Something like that. I wake up and cannot believe that this is my life. It's still strange to me, because on the other hand I live a very private life. Not many people know who I am. It is very pleasant that on one hand I experience these incredible things with Coldplay - and then come home and can live in peace with my family".

You seem actually to be rather shy, introverted types who move on the stage. Optical illusion?

"It's true, everyone is really rather shy. But when we come together and make music, something happens. Everything that we do not otherwise dare to say, comes to light via the music. To be in this band keeps us healthy. It's not the same if one is missing."

Singer Chris Martin says all the band members would be playing just for you, the drummer. Do you believe him?

"No, he likes to say things like that. It is the combination of the four of us that makes us so unique. We are all serving the group.” (“we are all servants of the group)."

Your current album is called "Mylo Xyloto", a word that did not exist before. Is this a metaphor for the desire to create something completely new?

"Definitely. It has made us free to roll out such a blank (white) canvas." What is it? ", People asked when we told them of the title. Exactly what we wanted to hear. Because that was the point. We wanted to create a completely new world of color, music, noise and energy. "

On "Mylo Xyloto" there is a duet with Rihanna. Why?

"Because we had a song that called for a female singer. We have very intensely discussed who should sing the female part in "Princess of China". In the end, we said: If we are to have a female voice on the album, it should be the best one. Rihanna is a fantastic, very popular singer. By the way, she sounds rougher, more emotional than she is otherwise known to sound. Cooperation is something you had not expected from her and from us. We have already for quite a while been on the road as a band – then it is no longer so easy to make something unexpected. We wanted to keep us on our toes. "

It is of course also refined crossover-marketing: Many who so far only knew Rihanna, now also hear/listen to Coldplay - and vice versa.

"That was not the intention, but we are pleased with the nice side effect."

Back in 2005 you have played the Arena. Is Leipzig for you just a place where you play your songs and where you are celebrated?

"Well, a long, long time ago we had performed as one of several bands at the “Rolling Stone Roadshow”. We were very young, on the road with a lot of people on the bus. We were tired, sick, we had a difficult time as a band. It was just in Leipzig where we called off our performance (it was on 7 December 2000 in Haus Auensee, editor's note) and decided to cancel the tour. I remember how at the time I thought: Man, you really have to be tough to survive in a band. This tour, this canceled show in Leipzig was a wake-up call for us: You cannot expect to get to the top straight away, you have to work hard for it. To come to Leipzig again also means finally bringing that spirit from back then back into the bottle. "

"Coldplay" is quite contrary to its literal meaning synonymous with emotion and passion. How do you manage to get in this mood when writing?

"For us it's all about honesty. We sniff out (find out) very quickly if something is not authentic or sincere. In our songs, we want to convey emotions. If something is not honest, it feels wrong, in the ears, in the body , everywhere."

As the drummer, do you have a favourite Coldplay song?

"For the time being it is "Charlie Brown" from the new album. It is straight, simple - and very satisfying and powerful. I have always liked to play "The Scientist". I can breathe well during this song and concentrate on this lovely, relaxing Groove."

They say we stand on the shoulders of giants. On what musical shoulders are Coldplay standing?

"As a band we stand on everything there was before us. All that we hear, inspires us, interests us, makes us curious: How have they produced this sound? The great bands of our generation have of course influenced us: Oasis, Blur, Nirvana. Ultimately, however, we all stand on the shoulders of the Beatles."

What about folk music?

"I grew up with it at home. In folk music as in our music it is not about flashy productions and stylish stuff, but it is about the heart of a song: The melody and the lyrics. I like dance music and hip-hop, but a good song means everything to me. "

It is probably not easy to be one of the most successful bands on the planet. How do you deal with the pressure?

"There's the pressure that we make ourselves trying to make the most of us. But we have now arrived at a point where we are very satisfied with who we are and what we do. I think pressure is created, if you are not sure of yourself, when you are not at peace with yourself. We love what we do. We feel no expectations from outside. We're like a crazy male four-way marriage -.... happy, full of energy."

It sounds as if Coldplay will continue for much longer.

"Let us first come to Leipzig!"

Today at the Red-Bull-Arena in Leipzig (Tickets 63 or 75 Euro, respectively) are still available at the box office

© LVZ-Online, 13.09.2012 at 22:39 o’clock (10:39 central European time)

Cultural news / http://www.lvz-online.de/kultur/news/coldplay/r-news-a-154991.html

Ahead of today’s concert at the Red-Bull-Arena: Interview with Coldplay’s drummer Champion

Interview: Jürgen Kleindienst / translation by Nancy Boysen

Leipzig. It is the concert of the year in Leipzig: Tonight Coldplay is going to play the Red-Bull-Arena in front of ten thousand fans. In this interview drummer Will Champion (36) speaks about shyness, energy, Rihanna and a Leipzig-experience almost 12 years ago.

Question: Coldplay become bigger and bigger. Do you wake up sometimes and are afraid that this is all a giant bubble that could suddenly burst?

Will Champion: „Something like that. I wake up and cannot believe that this is my life. It's still strange to me, because on the other hand I live a very private life. Not many people know who I am. It is very pleasant that on one hand I experience these incredible things with Coldplay - and then come home and can live in peace with my family".

You seem actually to be rather shy, introverted types who move on the stage. Optical illusion?

"It's true, everyone is really rather shy. But when we come together and make music, something happens. Everything that we do not otherwise dare to say, comes to light via the music. To be in this band keeps us healthy. It's not the same if one is missing."

Singer Chris Martin says all the band members would be playing just for you, the drummer. Do you believe him?

"No, he likes to say things like that. It is the combination of the four of us that makes us so unique. We are all serving the group.” (“we are all servants of the group)."

Your current album is called "Mylo Xyloto", a word that did not exist before. Is this a metaphor for the desire to create something completely new?

"Definitely. It has made us free to roll out such a blank (white) canvas." What is it? ", People asked when we told them of the title. Exactly what we wanted to hear. Because that was the point. We wanted to create a completely new world of color, music, noise and energy. "

On "Mylo Xyloto" there is a duet with Rihanna. Why?

"Because we had a song that called for a female singer. We have very intensely discussed who should sing the female part in "Princess of China". In the end, we said: If we are to have a female voice on the album, it should be the best one. Rihanna is a fantastic, very popular singer. By the way, she sounds rougher, more emotional than she is otherwise known to sound. Cooperation is something you had not expected from her and from us. We have already for quite a while been on the road as a band – then it is no longer so easy to make something unexpected. We wanted to keep us on our toes. "

It is of course also refined crossover-marketing: Many who so far only knew Rihanna, now also hear/listen to Coldplay - and vice versa.

"That was not the intention, but we are pleased with the nice side effect."

Back in 2005 you have played the Arena. Is Leipzig for you just a place where you play your songs and where you are celebrated?

"Well, a long, long time ago we had performed as one of several bands at the “Rolling Stone Roadshow”. We were very young, on the road with a lot of people on the bus. We were tired, sick, we had a difficult time as a band. It was just in Leipzig where we called off our performance (it was on 7 December 2000 in Haus Auensee, editor's note) and decided to cancel the tour. I remember how at the time I thought: Man, you really have to be tough to survive in a band. This tour, this canceled show in Leipzig was a wake-up call for us: You cannot expect to get to the top straight away, you have to work hard for it. To come to Leipzig again also means finally bringing that spirit from back then back into the bottle. "

"Coldplay" is quite contrary to its literal meaning synonymous with emotion and passion. How do you manage to get in this mood when writing?

"For us it's all about honesty. We sniff out (find out) very quickly if something is not authentic or sincere. In our songs, we want to convey emotions. If something is not honest, it feels wrong, in the ears, in the body , everywhere."

As the drummer, do you have a favourite Coldplay song?

"For the time being it is "Charlie Brown" from the new album. It is straight, simple - and very satisfying and powerful. I have always liked to play "The Scientist". I can breathe well during this song and concentrate on this lovely, relaxing Groove."

They say we stand on the shoulders of giants. On what musical shoulders are Coldplay standing?

"As a band we stand on everything there was before us. All that we hear, inspires us, interests us, makes us curious: How have they produced this sound? The great bands of our generation have of course influenced us: Oasis, Blur, Nirvana. Ultimately, however, we all stand on the shoulders of the Beatles."

What about folk music?

"I grew up with it at home. In folk music as in our music it is not about flashy productions and stylish stuff, but it is about the heart of a song: The melody and the lyrics. I like dance music and hip-hop, but a good song means everything to me. "

It is probably not easy to be one of the most successful bands on the planet. How do you deal with the pressure?

"There's the pressure that we make ourselves trying to make the most of us. But we have now arrived at a point where we are very satisfied with who we are and what we do. I think pressure is created, if you are not sure of yourself, when you are not at peace with yourself. We love what we do. We feel no expectations from outside. We're like a crazy male four-way marriage -.... happy, full of energy."

It sounds as if Coldplay will continue for much longer.

"Let us first come to Leipzig!"

Today at the Red-Bull-Arena in Leipzig (Tickets 63 or 75 Euro, respectively) are still available at the box office

© LVZ-Online, 13.09.2012 at 22:39 o’clock (10:39 central European time)

Thank you, Nancy! I post it in my page about the guys :D

I have also found this review:

http://www.shitesite.de/2012/09/14/coldplay-red-bull-arena-leipzig/

Coldplay, Red Bull Arena, Leipzig

SEPTEMBER 14, 2012 • POSTED IN LIVE, MUSIK

„Vollplastisch“. Dieses Wort schlägt das Korrektur- und Ergänzungsprogramm vor, wenn ich „Coldplay“ in mein Handy tippen möchte. Falscher könnte die Software nicht liegen. Coldplay sind nicht Plastik. Coldplay sind Holz und Erde, Schweiß und Tränen. Sie sind authentisch, pur und echt, selbst noch als Stadionrocker. Die Show in der Red Bull Arena Leipzig lässt daran nicht den geringsten Zweifel.

Das Quartett fährt ein Riesenspektakel auf und all die bekannten Stadion-Spielchen von „Ohoho“-Chören über den Gruß an die Fans ganz hinten und ein bisschen Anbiederung an die Lokalpatrioten (die Aufforderung „Make some motherfucking Leipzig noise“ ist das erstaunlichste Beispiel dafür) bis hin zu einem Konzertteil, der mitten im Publikum gespielt wird. Es gibt die Sprüche, die man schon hundertmal gehört hat. „Es ist eine Ehre, hier zu sein“, sagt Sänger Chris Martin, und das putzige Deutsch dieses Hänflings klingt ausgerechnet wie das von Boxweltmeister Vitali Klitschko. Alles an dieser Show ist perfekt, und dennoch ist nichts klinisch. Coldplay schaffen es in Leipzig, ihre Fans nicht nur zu beeindrucken, sondern zu berühren. Und sie wirken nicht wie vier Leute, die hier ihrem Beruf nachgehen wie an jedem Abend. Sie sind eine Band.

Nach gut 100 Minuten wird abgeklatscht, Coldplay verbeugen sich und strahlen. Aber auch zwischendurch tuscheln sie sich Sätze zu, tauschen Instrumente und gehen entspannt darüber hinweg, als erst der Anfang von God Put A Smile Upon My Face verpatzt wird und Chris Martin (der am Ende des Songs dann doch die Gitarre im hohen Bogen wegwirft) sogar kurz den Text vergisst. Der Grund dafür ist nicht schwer zu erraten: Freude an dem, was sie machen.

Dafür spricht auch die Spontaneität, für die auch inmitten dieses Mega-Aufwands noch Platz bleibt. Das göttliche Yellow bekommt ein sehr reizvolles Intro verpasst, von Chris Martin am Klavier mehr oder weniger improvisiert und mit tiefer Stimme gesungen. Später baut er ein Justin-Bieber-Zitat ein, und als es zum Ende der Show zu regnen beginnt, stimmt er kurzerhand Singing In The Rain an – und die Fans singen glücklich mit.

Dabei ist Leipzig kein allzu gutes Pflaster für Coldplay. Als ich sie im Dezember 2000 bei der Rolling Stone Roadshow im Haus Auensee sehen wollte, hing an der Tür ein Zettel: „Coldplay spielen nicht. Wegen Krankheit.“ Keith Caputo durfte dafür doppelt so lange ran, was natürlich in keiner Weise eine Entschädigung war. Auch für die Band selbst war dieser Tag ein Reinfall, hat Schlagzeuger Will Champion der Leipziger Volkszeitung im Interview erzählt. „Wir waren sehr jung, mit sehr vielen Leuten im Bus unterwegs. Wir wurden müde, krank, wir hatten eine schwere Zeit als Band.“ Coldplay entschieden sich, alle weiteren Konzerte abzubrechen – womöglich hat das die Band gerettet. „Diese Tour, diese abgesagte Show in Leipzig war ein Weckruf für uns: Du kannst nicht erwarten, geradewegs zum Gipfel zu kommen, du musst hart dafür arbeiten. Wieder nach Leipzig zu kommen, heißt auch, diesen Geist von damals endgültig zurück in die Flasche zu bringen”, sagt Champion.

Zuerst einmal aber lassen Coldplay eine Menge heraus. Schon beim ersten Song Hurts Like Heaven gibt es Feuerwerk, es folgt In My Place – und ein Papierregen aus den Buchstaben, die zusammen die Worte Mylo Xyloto bilden. Es ist ein atemberaubender, nicht zu überbietender Auftakt. Coldplay wollen die beste Show spielen, die die Fans je gesehen haben, kündigt Chris Martin danach an – und schon nach diesen zwei Liedern meint man, die Band habe dieses Versprechen bereits erfüllt. Als dann zwei Lieder später auch noch ein paar Dutzend riesige Luftballons aufs Publikum herabregnen, ist das Spektakel perfekt.

Als Augenschmaus sind diese Showelemente vergnüglich genug, doch das Beste an ihnen ist: Sie sind nicht nur Bombast, sondern sorgen vom ersten Lied an dafür, dass das Publikum hier nicht zum passiven Beobachter gemacht wird. Die Fans sind Teil des Konzerts, genauso wichtig für die Show wie die Band selbst – das ist die Botschaft. Dazu tragen die Luftballons bei, deren Bahnen unsichtbare Bänder zwischen den Fans knüpfen. Vor allem aber die LED-Armbänder, die jeder am Einlass bekommen hat und die per Funksteuerung zu Leuchtelementen werden. Das ganze Stadion erstrahlt dann von gelben, grünen oder roten Lichtern, das Publikum wird zu so etwas wie einer viel zu groß geratenen Weihnachtsbaumbeleuchtung – und erkennt schon beim ersten Song: Wir gehören dazu. Wir gehören zusammen.

Genau das war schon immer das Fundament des Coldplay-Sounds: Verbundenheit, Mitgefühl, ein Element der Hoffnung, das Versprechen, dass am Ende alles gut wird. Das stille Kopfschütteln über das unausrottbar Böse in der Welt wird bei ihnen vertont und auch an diesem Abend in Leipzig umgewandelt in die Botschaft: Wir sind gut, wir sind viele, wir können etwas erreichen.

Natürlich besteht zwischen der Unbedingtheit, Naivität und Schlichtheit dieses Ansatzes und aufwendigem, kalkuliertem, perfekt inszeniertem Stadionrock ein Widerspruch. Aber Coldplay schaffen es immer wieder, die Showelemente nicht als Blendwerk einzusetzen, sondern zur Unterstützung ihrer Message. Von einer der kreisförmigen Videoleinwände singt Rihanna Princess Of China. Coldplay gehen dazu ganz nach vorne auf den Steg, der ins Publikum führt und spielen danach auch Up In Flames und Warning Sign auf diesen paar Quadratmetern.

Mit Viva La Vida, Charlie Brown und Paradise bildet ein unfassbares Song-Trio den Abschluss, dann taucht Chris Martin am anderen Ende des Stadions zur Zugabe wieder auf. Es gibt Us Against The World auf einer kleinen Bühne mitten in den Fans im Innenraum, Speed Of Sound, Clocks, Fix You und zum Finale Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall, alles großartig. Als die Fans die Leipziger Arena verlassen, singen sie noch immer den Chor aus Viva La Vida.

Die Show wimmelt vor Momenten, die herzzerreißend sind. Man sieht Fans, die mit weit ausgebreiteten Armen mitsingen, man sieht leuchtende Augen und natürlich knutschende Pärchen. Man kann nicht anders als feststellen: Coldplay haben die Herzen dieser Menschen erreicht wie vielleicht keine andere Band der vergangenen 15 Jahre. If you could see it then you’d understand.

I VOLUNTEER TO TRANSLATE THIS ONE INTO ENGLISH, but it will probably be TOMORROW as my head is a bit tired - and in a few minutes I will watch something on TV and probably go to bed after that.

Here is the complete translation

TRANSLATION – BY NANCY BOYSEN - OF

http://www.shitesite.de/2012/09/14/coldplay-red-bull-arena-leipzig/

Coldplay, Red Bull Arena, Leipzig

SEPTEMBER 14, 2012 • POSTED IN LIVE, MUSIK

"Full Plastic". These words are suggested by the correction and supplement programme if I want to type "Coldplay" in my phone. The software could not be more wrong. Coldplay are not plastic. Coldplay are wood and earth, sweat and tears. They are authentic, pure and true/genuine, even as stadium rockers. The show at the Red Bull Arena Leipzig leaves no doubt about it.

The quartet delivers a massive spectacle and all the well-known stadium tricks from the "Ohoho" choruses over the salute to the fans in the back and a bit of pandering to the local patriots (the encouragement to "make some motherfucking Leipzig noise" is the most amazing example of this) up to a part of the concert that is played in the middle of the audience. There are sayings that you have heard a hundred times. "It is an honor to be here," says singer Chris Martin, and the cute German of this linnet sounds just like that of boxing champion Vitali Klitschko. Everything about this show is perfect, and yet nothing is clinical. In Leipzig Coldplay have managed not only to impress their fans, but also to touch them. And they do not act like four people who pursue their careers here as every evening. They are a band.

After little more than 100 minutes, the people in the audience clap, Coldplay take a bow and shine. But also in between they whisper to each other, exchange instruments and are relaxed as they gloss over small mistakes at the beginning of God Put A Smile Upon My Face, and when Chris Martin (who at the end of the song throws the guitar in the air) even briefly forgets the lyrics. The reason is not hard to guess: Joy at what they do.

This is also supported by the spontaneity, for which there is room even in the midst of this mega-effort/show. The divine Yellow gets a very lovely/sexy intro messed up by Chris Martin, more or less improvised by Chris Martin on piano and sung in a deep voice. Later, he includes a Justin Bieber quote, and when it starts to rain at the end of the show, he quickly starts to sing and play “Singing In The Rain” - and the fans are happy to join him in singing it.

Leipzig is not a very good place for Coldplay. When I would see them in December 2000 at the Rolling Stone Roadshow in Haus Auensee, there was hanging a note at the door: „Coldplay will not be playing. Due to illness.” Keith Caputo could play for twice as long time what was of course in no way a compensation. Even for the band this day was a bust, has drummer Will Champion told the newspaper die Leipziger Volkszeitung in an interview. „We were very young, on the road with a lot of people on the bus. We were tired, sick, we had a difficult time as a band.“ Coldplay decided to cancel all concerts –that has probably saved the band. „This tour, this cancelled show in Leipzig was a wake-up call for us: You cannot expect to get to the top straight away, you have to work hard for it. To come to Leipzig again also means finally bringing that spirit from back then back into the bottle”, said Champion.

At first Coldplay let out a lot. At the first song Hurts Like Heaven there is fireworks, then comes In My Place – and a shower of paper confetti in the form of the letters that combined constitute the words Mylo Xyloto. It is a breathtaking, unsurpassable opener. Coldplay are to play the best show that the fans have ever seen, Chris Martin then announced - and already after these two songs the audience felt that the band had already fulfilled that promise. When then two songs later, a few dozen giant balloons rained down on the audience, the spectacle is perfect.

As a visual treat these show elements are enjoyable enough, but the best thing about them is that they are not just bombast, but from the very first song they make sure that the audience here will not be passive observers. The fans are part of the concert, as important to the show as the band itself - that is the message. This message is supported by the balloons the orbits / curved courses of which create invisible bonds between the fans. Above all this message is supported by the LED bracelets/LED wristbands that everyone has got at the entrance and that are transformed to flashing light elements by radio control. The whole stadium is then lit up by yellow, green or red lights, the audience is turned into something like a much too oversized Christmas tree lighting - and from the very first song the audience realizes: We belong. We belong together.

Exactly that has always been the foundation of Coldplay’s sound: Involvement, compassion, an element of hope, the promise that in the end everything will be fine. The silent shake of the head over the ineradicable evil in the world is set to music by them and on this evening in Leipzig also converted into the message: We are good, we are many, we can achieve something.

Of course there is a contradiction between the unconditionality, naivety and simplicity of this approach AND the elaborate, calculated, perfectly staged stadium rock. But again and again Coldplay manage to use the show elements not as an illusion, but to support their message. On one of the circular video screens Rihanna sings “Princess Of China”. For this song Coldplay go all the way to the front of the ramp / runway that leads into the audience and then also play “Up In Flames” and “Warning Sign” on these few square meters.

With “Viva La Vida”, “Charlie Brown” and “Paradise”, an incredible song trio constitutes the conclusion (end) of the concert, then Chris Martin appears at the other end of the stadium for the encore. The song “Us Against The World” is played on a small stage in the middle of the fans inside, then the songs “Speed Of Sound”, “Clocks”, “Fix You” and as finale “Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall”, everything great. As the fans leave the Leipzig Arena, they are still singing the chorus of “Viva La Vida”.

The show is full of moments that are heartbreaking. You can see fans who sing along with their arms wide open, you can see bright eyes and naturally smooching couples. One cannot help but notice: Coldplay have reached the hearts of these people like perhaps no other band of the past 15 years. If you could see it then you'd understand.