18 Life Is For Living

19 Clocks

20 Fix You

21 Every Teardrop is a Waterfall

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=gslEyN2E-e0[/ame]

namerica.jpg

Extra North American dates added

17 December 2011 12:59 am

Second nights in Vancouver, Dallas, Philadelphia, DC, Boston, San Jose, Toronto, Montreal and East Rutherford

news_line.png

Good evening. Nine extra dates have now been added to Coldplay's North American tour - all of which are second nights at existing venues: Vancouver on 21 April, San Jose on 28 April, Dallas on 23 June, Philadelphia on 6 July, Washington DC on 9 July, Toronto on 24 July, Montreal on 27 July, Boston on 30 July and East Rutherford on 4 August. See below for the full updated list of shows.

The AMEX pre-sale for all three shows begins at 10am (local time) today from here. The general sales for all the confirmed shows except LA and Chicago begin Saturday at 10am (local time) from 1-800-745-3000, Ticketmaster and Livenation.

APRIL

17 Edmonton, AB Rexall Place

18 Calgary, AB Scotiabank Saddledome

20 Vancouver, BC Rogers Arena

21 Vancouver, BC Rogers Arena (extra date)

24 Portland, OR Rose Garden Arena

25 Seattle, WA KeyArena

27 San Jose, CA HP Pavilion At San Jose

28 San Jose, CA HP Pavilion At San Jose (extra date)

MAY

1 Los Angeles, CA Hollywood Bowl (On sale 9 Jan)

2 Los Angeles, CA Hollywood Bowl (On sale 9 Jan)

JUNE

22 Dallas, TX American Airlines Center

25 Houston, TX Toyota Center

28 Tampa, FL St. Pete Times Forum

29 Miami, FL American Airlines Arena

JULY

2 Atlanta, GA Philips Arena

5 Philadelphia, PA Wells Fargo Center

8 Washington, DC Verizon Center

23 Toronto, ON Air Canada Centre

24 Toronto, ON Air Canada Centre (Extra date)

26 Montreal, QC Bell Centre

27 Montreal, QC Bell Centre (Extra date)

29 Boston, MA TD Garden

AUGUST

3 East Rutherford, NJ Izod Center

4 East Rutherford, NJ - Izod Center (Extra date)

7 Chicago, IL United Center (On sale 19 Dec)

11 St. Paul, MN Xcel Energy Center

Anchorman

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have kind of a dilemma and im hoping someone can help me decide. for christmas i got two sets of coldplay tickets (both parties didnt know they would be giving the same thing) but one set is in section 114 and the other set is in section 309. while 114 is lower, its further away and while 309 is higher, its closer to the stage. i can only choose one set so my question is, knowing rogers arena, which section is better? 114 or 309?

• 3 months later...

HEADPHONES.jpg

City and Colour added to Vancouver bill

3 April 2012 3:47 pm

Canadian act to play at second Vancouver date

news_line.png

Good afternoon. Canadian act City and Colour have just been added to the bill for Coldplay's second show at Vancouver's Rogers Arena on 21 April. The Pierces will also be performing. Here are a couple of City and Colour songs to check out...

[ame=http://soundcloud.com/cityandcolour/fragile-bird]City and Colour - Fragile Bird[/ame]

[ame=http://soundcloud.com/cityandcolour/northern-wind]City and Colour - Northern Wind[/ame]

For the full list of upcoming Coldplay shows (and ticket links), click here.

Anchorman

• 2 weeks later...

Coldplay typecast as good guys

British band keeps its fans happy, but has found reinvention difficult

There is no arguing Coldplay has been an omnipresent force on the pop-rock scene for the past decade, but what is it about the British quartet that has enabled them to endure for so long?

Coldplay's rise to fame was never rooted in a reputation for being cuttingedge innovators or rock saviours. Instead, the success of the band, which plays in Vancouver Friday and Saturday, can be attributed to something far simpler: inoffensive, accessible, feel-good appeal.

Let's rewind to June 2001. Coldplay was touring North America with a set consisting of every song on debut album Parachutes.

Their concerts included a pretty spectacular rendition of hit single Yellow, complete with a giant mirror ball sending myriad yellow stars spinning around the room - that number being the sole draw for many of those in attendance at such venues as Montreal's Metropolis, Toronto's Warehouse and Vancouver's Orpheum Theatre.

In My Place was the encore, a song that would become the entry point for 2002's sophomore and best effort A Rush of Blood to the Head, an album that is arguably Coldplay's artistic peak. But another song made its way into the set, and you won't find too many mentions of it these days: Hank Williams' forlorn classic Lost Highway.

This may have been Coldplay at its edgiest, doing a song that didn't require Chris Martin singing 'woah-ooh-ooah' at the top of his lungs, no megaphones, no confetti or streamers raining down from the ceiling and certainly no lasers.

Coldplay playing Lost Highway had a subtle hidden meaning: it represented four guys lost on the road, swept up in a sea of hype and coasting on unexpected success, unsure of what was supposed to happen next.

We all know what did happen: Coldplay became a stadium-filling tourdeforce that dominated the media. Covering Lost Highway also gave the band a certain sense of music-nerd cred: here was a British pop-rock band showing love for one of America's biggest country music legends, one that most of their crowds barely knew.

It wasn't exactly an innovative thing to do, but it showed a band willing to experiment beyond its borders. After all, Parachutes was, as Allmusic's Stephen Thomas Erlewine once wrote after Radiohead abandoned guitar-rock for electro weirdness on 2000's Kid A, the album that made Coldplay "everything Radiohead weren't, but what the public wanted them to be."

There was something immediately accessible about the freshfaced bunch, especially in Chris Martin's good-guy appeal. Most importantly, his persona was easier to identify with than the weird and tortured Thom Yorke.

It didn't hurt that the love story between Martin and actress Gwyneth Paltrow was keeping at least one fourth of Coldplay on the magazine stands.

If Coldplay was considered a younger generation's U2, Martin didn't pretend his band was changing the world. Coldplay just played anthems people could lose themselves in.

Coldplay connected with just about everyone. They had become pop stars.

It didn't take long for imitators to crop up: Single Clocks became the most plagiarized piano line of the past decade (how many commercials have readapted the melody to sell their products?), with drummer Will Champion's pounding beats becoming the blueprint for a pile of sub-par alt-rock.

Just as so many tried to emulate Radiohead at the turn of the millennium, all of a sudden it was all about trying to sound like Coldplay.

Unlike Radiohead, Coldplay was never afforded the luxury to truly reinvent itself. Each new album since X&Y in 2005 has retained the basic essence of the band, whether on 2008's Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends or on last year's Mylo Xyloto, both recorded with luminary Brian Eno. Both featured notable sonic reinvention, namely less piano balladry and Martin falsetto, more earthy tones, and a slicker pop direction on Mylo Xyloto.

Ironically, much-imitated Coldplay began to look like imitators themselves.

Viva La Vida's French Revolution-style costumery and marching band imagery in videos like Violet Hill were certainly reminiscent of classic rock pageantry, but also strangely in tune with indie trailblazers Arcade Fire's emotive populism from Funeral, the landmark album recorded around the same time as X&Y.

Coldplay was also accused of lifting elements from guitarist Joe Satriani's If I Could Fly on Viva La Vida, but the case was dismissed.

Unfortunately, not every new approach worked on Mylo Xyloto. What could have been a grand statement felt more like a series of missed opportunities. Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall was a detour into the insufferable nu-folk trend, and Paradise was a shiny, anthemic number, with little depth lifting the underlying elements of candy pop.

Mylo Xyloto was a superproduced affair that showed Martin and pals not as grabbing the world and shaking it up, but as being shaken by it, trying to remain in tune with a new generation of music fans learning about Coldplay.

The downside is that it has made Coldplay look like a band that's trying to hang on, rather than one willing to dictate where it wants to go.

By playing the "good guy" and always aiming to please its fanbase, Coldplay has remained at the top, but it may have done so at the cost of its freedom for authentic artistic reinvention.

link

Blame Coldplay for the gap in Canucks-Kings series

0419kings.jpg?w=620

The Canucks and Kings don't play again until Sunday because of a Coldplay concert at Rogers Arena

You generally get a four-day break in the NHL playoffs only when you make quick work of your opponent in a playoff round.

Not so for the Vancouver Canucks and Los Angeles Kings.

The Canucks scored a 3-1 win Wednesday in L.A. and the clubs don’t play again until Sunday night in Vancouver.

The reason? There’s a Coldplay concert at Rogers Arena on Saturday night. That’s two games in eight days.

Kings coach Darryl Sutter isn’t a fan.

link

There already is a setlist on setlist.fm :\

1 Mylo Xyloto

2 Hurts Like Heaven

3 In My Place

4 Speed Of Sound

5 Charlie Brown

6 Yellow

7 Paradise

8 Viva La Vida

9 Shiver

10 Lost

11 Us Against the World

12 White Shadows

13 Don't Panic

14 Up in Flames

15 The Scientist

16 Life In Technicolor

17 The Hardest Part

18 Clocks

19 Fix You

20 Every Teardrop is a Waterfall

1 Mylo Xyloto

2 Hurts Like Heaven

3 In My Place

4 Speed Of Sound

5 Charlie Brown

6 Yellow

7 Paradise

8 Viva La Vida

9 Shiver

10 Lost

11 Us Against the World

12 White Shadows

13 Don't Panic

14 Up in Flames

15 The Scientist

16 Life In Technicolor

17 The Hardest Part

18 Clocks

19 Fix You

Not anymore :cool:

Oh, and Sparks on the C-Stage before UATW would be great.

1 Mylo Xyloto

2 Hurts Like Heaven

3 In My Place

4 Speed Of Sound

5 Charlie Brown

6 Yellow

7 Paradise

8 Viva La Vida

9 Shiver

10 Lost

11 Us Against the World

12 White Shadows

13 Don't Panic

14 Up in Flames

15 The Scientist

16 Life In Technicolor

17 The Hardest Part

18 Clocks

19 Fix You

White Shadows, Hardest Part, Speed of Sound

they could make this the setlist for Atlanta :wink3:

'm doubtful of that set list. Suddenly adding 3 X&Y songs, including one they don't even like playing? I'll believe it when I see it, but I really HOP it's real!

I missed hanging out on here for last night's gig. Glad I'll be home for tonight's. :D

Seriously get a grip. Its so fake it borders on stupid.