✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Do you think people should be able to own guns

TwistedPolitik

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well they shouldn't. As the famous peanut farmer president once said, "America is not a state of democracy anymore".

Now I know you're probably thinking I'm a republican, but I can assure you I'm not. Just an fyi.

But rights have to change. Otherwise it would be a very different world for black people in America. Where is the cut off point? Where do you say, OK, these rights are perfect? Society moves.

All rights. All rights should be able to be changed as societies change. Every last one of them. Some should be harder than others (like human rights - they would more be evolved to cater for more people or become more specific) to change and you'll find the people will defend them. Like what is happening with guns. But when you evolve past them, it's only fair that you should be able to allow the law to evolve too.

We are far from a utopia in any country, and we'll probably never get there. So you need some fluidity and a politically active people to stand up for those rights that society isn't ok with losing and shouldn't lose.

That's where my examples of drug and alcohol come into play. If it's something society values/wants/think it needs, law won't change demand. I feel if you outlaw anything valued by a society, it won't change their desire for it if it's easily still available. I think you can use anything as an example, i just use drugs and alcohol because it's been tried and failed. If they tried to outlaw chocolate, it would be the same, or rock music. Society has to change from the bottom up, in my opinion.

That's where my examples of drug and alcohol come into play. If it's something society values/wants/think it needs, law won't change demand. I feel if you outlaw anything valued by a society, it won't change their desire for it if it's easily still available. I think you can use anything as an example, i just use drugs and alcohol because it's been tried and failed. If they tried to outlaw chocolate, it would be the same, or rock music. Society has to change from the bottom up, in my opinion.

It has to work both ways. There has to be public backing for it to a decent extent, and the law has to be enforced effectively and fairly.

But the law itself can make a big deal. Sometimes laws come in that people would never consider they need.