✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Coldplay's recording contract

Martin04

Hey, so I saw this referred to in other threads ... but I haven't seen a thread about this particular topic

Does anyone know what the status is for Coldplay's record contract? I've heard it ends after five albums, I have also heard they have two more on their current deal. Anyone read any good articles on this subject that they can share a link to?? Also, and this may be a dumb question, someone wanna explain the Parlophone/EMI relationship? I am from the U.S. Are they one and the same?; does one company own the other?; does my quesiton even make sense??

Anyway, I think this will have a big influence on where the band goes from here! (look what Radiohead did when their deal expired). Any thoughts??

Hey, so I saw this referred to in other threads ... but I haven't seen a thread about this particular topic

Does anyone know what the status is for Coldplay's record contract? I've heard it ends after five albums, I have also heard they have two more on their current deal. Anyone read any good articles on this subject that they can share a link to?? Also, and this may be a dumb question, someone wanna explain the Parlophone/EMI relationship? I am from the U.S. Are they one and the same?; does one company own the other?; does my quesiton even make sense??

Anyway, I think this will have a big influence on where the band goes from here! (look what Radiohead did when their deal expired). Any thoughts??

I really don't think they'll pull a Radiohead. I don't think they would want to go things quite that alone. They're also one of the very few acts left that has the commercial juice to start a serious bidding war, an I predict they'll get serious money thrown at them from all corners. Not sure if that will ultimately effect where they sign, but it very well could.

Don't they have to complete this current tour first too? I think I may have heard that too...

Logic says they'd do that before considering anything record wise, but legally speaking touring has nothing to do with their (or anyone else's) recording contract. The exception being an all inclusive deal which Coldplay do not have.

They haven't got the balls to do a Radiohead, they are too desperate to stay current and commerical. My biggest worry is they end up like U2. Boring.

Yeah, it must really suck to be U2 these days.:rolleyes:

City Bank owns EMI, that owns both Parlophone and Capitol Records. I don't have any idea about the rest, all I know is that they like to be on Parlophone, don't think they would change of label after the end of the contract.

Parlophone is part of EMI. Coldplay has a good relationship with them. I would think they will stay. However, City Bank is selling EMI. That may affect Coldplay's decision. They must have decided on it already. The selling price of EMI is depends on which artists are on contract. I would think the company that is buying EMI would demand to know whether Coldplay will renew their contract or not.

I just had this crazy idea. What if Coldplay had decided to leave EMI? This could very well be the reason we have not heard ANY new material in a long long time. Meaning, anything they release or announce now (not sure about the technicalities) automatically belongs to EMI. So they are keeping their mouths shut, MX being there last album with the label. What do you guys think?

I'm not sure what you mean by no new material. They released the album late last year, and have been releasing it's supporting singles in a fairly usual pattern. It's only been about 7-8 months since they last released new material, and that's not long at all really, especially in the middle of a major touring cycle.

They have so much material in stock, no doubt, and during their Viva tour they would perform something new all the time - the dubliners, don quixote, postcards, glass of water etc. How come it is just Mylo Xyloto plus the classics now? I do believe they are eager to play more, but something is stopping them. Also, I do not know about you, but I am kind of tired of listening to the same playlist over ans over again... They are great amazing songs, no doubt, it is only that we have heard them a zillion times before...

There's no way of knowing how much material the band does/does not have in stock until they say something about it and I don't really see why we should assume they have "so much", or anything at all. Just because they released an E.P. a year after VLVODAHF doesn't mean they will this cycle, and aside from 2 or 3 songs from the E.P. they only played 2 other "new" songs last tour, and those very sparingly.

^ I'm hoping for some new songs from them too. But you're right. Just because they released an EP after Viva doesn't mean they will do that with MX. It would be great if they would release some of the songs they wrote for LP5 originally before they chose the MX direction (Chris has mentioned some acoustic songs).

^ I'm hoping for some new songs from them too. But you're right. Just because they released an EP after Viva doesn't mean they will do that with MX. It would be great if they would release some of the songs they wrote for LP5 originally before they chose the MX direction (Chris has mentioned some acoustic songs).

I think a lot of the material from those sessions was rewoked into stuff that did appear (at least in some form) on MX though, so there may not be all that much in the way of finished material from those sessions to release. (If they even wanted to, which frankly I doubt.)

if they'll ever release something new, no doubt its from the MX bunch because they have already chose the MX thing over the acoustic one so the chance of releasing it is so slim considering that they haven't release anything new yet from the current era.