✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Mr Berryman's bass...

Jack_MyloXyloto

I could quote him:

It's a Fender Precision Bass. I have flirted with others, but you always come back to the one you love.

I'm no expert on instruments, I'm sure there are a couple more, but Precision is the main model. :wideeyed:

If you're talking about the basses that he's painted with the MX artwork, those are Jazz Basses, not Precision. He's still playing his workhorse red Precision for most songs though. He plays the red MX Jazz Bass for Charlie Brown (because it's in a dropped tuning) and the blue/green Jazz Bass for the C-stage. He's also got a white one that I've never seen him play but is in the Paris photos.

for comparison:

p014.jpg

JAZZ BASS

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTRcxSvvamFkdBzcGUKVYWrcUgtjYZkhqqiEueGVXk8p3W9Wj6t

PRECISION BASS (this picture is old, but it's the same bass he's using as his main live one now)

He also has played Fender Jaguar Basses, and Mustang Basses as well as a few other non fender makes.

You don't know the dropped tuning for the P bass, do you?

There are a few bass covers on Youtube where people say it's drop D, but I'm not 100% sure if that's what Guy's playing or not. Sounds good to my ear though.

EDIT: I assume you mean the Jazz Bass, the P-Bass is tuned standard.

There are a few bass covers on Youtube where people say it's drop D, but I'm not 100% sure if that's what Guy's playing or not. Sounds good to my ear though.

EDIT: I assume you mean the Jazz Bass, the P-Bass is tuned standard.

Oops, yes. The red one,lol. Drop D would make sense, and so would detuning the whole bass a half-step as Chris & Jonny both do that with their guitars on some songs.

Oops, yes. The red one,lol. Drop D would make sense, and so would detuning the whole bass a half-step as Chris & Jonny both do that with their guitars on some songs.

Um...There're both red.:laugh3:

As far as I can tell, the only two songs where Guy plays bass in something other than standard are Charlie Brown and A Message. I'm also not sure Guy always played CB dropped, as on some of the festival gigs he played the entire gig with the Jazz Bass and didn't swap for that song. I think it was probably standard on the record, but it's so deep in the mix, it's hard to be clear.:\

Not at all! He pretty much makes the Earth move!

(And guys, this is the BASS thread, not the OTHER Guy thread, so BEHAVE!!!:p)

Yeah, his Hi-Watt rig is insanely powerful. It really translates that rib-crushing bass tone without cutting out the high end. I want one, but his is a custom one off product.

Well I'm disappointed. No pic of Guy's behind in here :angry:

LOL I thought the thread was about that when I saw the title ;D I saw something on Twitter recently like 'Guy has a nice bass' and even I found that hilarious :laugh3::laugh3:

(even though I'm a straight guy :p)

• 1 year later...

Ok... So I know this thread's been dead for ages, but I've been trying to figure out something that's been bothering me for awhile.

Has anyone ever read/seen any information on the year of Guy's red P-Bass? He seems to have had it since the very, very early days of the band, so it doesn't seem like it would be a high end vintage bass, but it's also a color that wasn't in production at that time on new Fender basses. It just strikes me as really odd that he would be playing a low end P-Bass when he could have any instrument he wanted, especially since he seems to have a preference for 60's P-Basses otherwise. As a bass player, it kind of intrigues me that he could be playing massive festival gigs with the same MIM P-Bass you could walk into any guitar store and buy, while at the same time a high end vintage instrument is sitting unused in his touring rack.

I've looked all over the internet and can't find ANYTHING to shed light on this, any help would be appreciated. :)

He's been using that bass since 2001 i think, i think is just a matter of affection, like Sunny for Jonny, or that Japanese Fender Telecaster that Will gave Jonny back in 2000, they are still using those instruments today when the can afford better, they use them live because they still care about them

Both of those guitars are rare quality instruments, of far better quality (generally speaking) than a modern era run of the mill P Bass. I'm not saying it's not possible, just a bit peculiar.