✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Big Ben's tower renamed Elizabeth Tower in honour of Queen

Tash

Big Ben's tower renamed Elizabeth Tower in honour of Queen

_61170965_61170021.jpg

The landmark clock and tower at Westminster is commonly known as Big Ben

The tower housing Big Ben is to be renamed the Elizabeth Tower in honour of the Queen, the House of Commons has confirmed.

It follows a campaign, backed by most MPs and the three main party leaders, to rename the tower in recognition of the Queen's 60 year reign.

At present the famous central London landmark is described by the Palace of Westminster as the Clock Tower.

The House of Commons authorities have now agreed the change.

Conservative MP Tobias Ellwood originally proposed the idea an early day motion which was backed by 40 MPs.

'Fitting tribute'

The motion called on the House of Commons Commission to consider the change "in recognition of Her Majesty's 60 years of unbroken public service on behalf of her country".

A subsequent letter of support circulated by Mr Ellwood received the backing of more than half of MPs, including David Cameron, Nick Clegg and Ed Miliband.

The prime minister and the Labour leader have both previously described the move as a "fitting tribute" to the Queen.

The House of Commons Commission said it welcomed the proposal to rename the tower and "will arrange for this decision to be implemented in an appropriate manner in due course".

This is not the first time a part of the Palace of Westminster has been renamed in honour of a monarch.

When the Palace was rebuilt in 1860, the west tower, then known as the King's Tower, was renamed the Victoria Tower to commemorate the long reign of Queen Victoria.

She is the only other monarch to complete 60 years on the throne.

The clock and tower at Westminster is commonly known around the world as Big Ben - which was the nickname originally given to the 13.5 tonne bell within the tower.

link

Well, I'm not English so I may be speaking out of turn, but I much prefer Big Ben. That name has become a part of a sort of folklore. Now that it's not called Big Ben anymore kind of takes some of that away in my opinion, or at least makes it more confusing. :shrug:

Guest howyousawtheworld
Well, I'm not English so I may be speaking out of turn, but I much prefer Big Ben. That name has become a part of a sort of folklore. Now that it's not called Big Ben anymore kind of takes some of that away in my opinion, or at least makes it more confusing. :shrug:

Don't worry! It will still be called Big Ben. Big Ben, to be more precise, is the name of the bell that rings out, not the tower. But everyone refers to the tower as Big Ben anyway and will continue to do so. It will only be the pedantic people (those who called it "The Clock Tower") who will call it the "Elizabeth Tower".

Don't worry! It will still be called Big Ben. Big Ben, to be more precise, is the name of the bell that rings out, not the tower. But everyone refers to the tower as Big Ben anyway and will continue to do so. It will only be the pedantic people (those who called it "The Clock Tower") who will call it the "Elizabeth Tower".

very helpful! "thanks"!