✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

String Theory

rf_ucsd

this should be interesting

I was watching something on PBS today about Quantum Mechanics. It was really well done but left me with a lot of questions. Still, from what I can tell even the most knowledgable person re: QM must have tons of unresolved questions, so let me just throw this one out there hoping there's a physic inclined person who can throw me in the right direction:

What is string theory?

I need an explanation.

Thanks in advance.

String Theory. Last I heard about it, there was going to be a conference of Theoritcal Physicists in Mumbai (Bombay), with eminent persons attending; apparently, some group in India had made a breakthrough on this theory.

Yep, it is supposedly "the" Unified Theory, explaining all the natural laws in one elegant (yeah right! haha) equation. that's the holy grail for folks dreaming up theories. But, it's still a theory. It also has a lot to do with stuff like answering the question of the origin of our Universe.

What is String Theory?

String theory is currently the most promising candidate for a unified theory of the fundamental particles and forces which underlie all physical phenomena.

In string theory all elementary particles, such as electrons, photons, neutrinos and quarks, arise as different excitations of a single elementary string.

Gravity, electromagnetism, weak and strong nuclear interactions, which underlie all natural phenomena, are unified into a very tightly constrained, elegant and compelling theoretical framework.

String Theory promises to realize Einstein's dream of a Unified Theory of all forces in nature.

It provides, for the first time, a mathematically consistent formalism that combines the two pillars of twentieth-century physics: Quantum Theory and the General Theory of Relativity.

It has profound implications for some long-standing puzzles in physics, such as the nature of black holes and the origin of the universe.

If String Theory is eventually verified in experiments, it will revolutionize our conception of the structure of matter, space, and time.

Oh Ya! I know about this. Its the theory that humans and ultimately everything(i think) is made out of little strings vibrating at different frequency. they said that stars are also made out of these strings. Thats about the extent of my knowledge. THat would explain why people like music.

OK ... so this heory HAS yielded working model? Actual equation by which general relativity can be reconcileds with quantum theory? wow.

how long as this been around? is this something that has developed in the last ten years?

String Theory. Last I heard about it, there was going to be a conference of Theoritcal Physicists in Mumbai (Bombay), with eminent persons attending; apparently, some group in India had made a breakthrough on this theory.

Yep, it is supposedly "the" Unified Theory, explaining all the natural laws in one elegant (yeah right! haha) equation. that's the holy grail for folks dreaming up theories. But, it's still a theory. It also has a lot to do with stuff like answering the question of the origin of our Universe.

What is String Theory?

String theory is currently the most promising candidate for a unified theory of the fundamental particles and forces which underlie all physical phenomena.

In string theory all elementary particles, such as electrons, photons, neutrinos and quarks, arise as different excitations of a single elementary string.

Gravity, electromagnetism, weak and strong nuclear interactions, which underlie all natural phenomena, are unified into a very tightly constrained, elegant and compelling theoretical framework.

String Theory promises to realize Einstein's dream of a Unified Theory of all forces in nature.

It provides, for the first time, a mathematically consistent formalism that combines the two pillars of twentieth-century physics: Quantum Theory and the General Theory of Relativity.

It has profound implications for some long-standing puzzles in physics, such as the nature of black holes and the origin of the universe.

If String Theory is eventually verified in experiments, it will revolutionize our conception of the structure of matter, space, and time.

• 4 years later...

If Einstein said that "God does not play dice with the Universe", and let's assume for arguments sake he's right, then what is probability? Randomness?

I've pondered this, but what do you think?? (my best guess is that perhaps a phenomenon like Entropy drives the universe, and adding more states (possibilities) to things propels the process onward.. and what we see as "random" is merely greater numbers of states that have some formula, being of ever increasing complexity..)

Yes, I've seen it quite a number of times too - an excellent program! - but I can't recall if anyone answered the question of what is randomness. It's a big part of quantum mechanics, yet really, it's something we've just accepted without much insight - the concept is simple, but in reality, it must have a deeper meaning..

Maybe 42? :>