✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

the DISORDER Thread

Corner Kid

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have Schizotypal Personality Disorder.

Definition:

Schizotypal personality disorder is primarily characterized by peculiarities of thinking, odd beliefs, and eccentricities of appearance, behavior, interpersonal style, and thought. Persons with this disorder may have peculiar like ideas: belief in psychic phenomena or have magical thinking.

Criteria:

1. Indifferent / detachment from social relationships, cognitive or perceptual distortions, and eccentric behavior. As indicated by at least five of the following:

A. Ideas of reference.

B. Magical thinking or odd beliefs, that not consistent with the cultures norms and influences behavior.

C. Odd perceptual experiences.

D. Odd thinking or speech.

E. Suspiciousness or paranoid.

F. Narrowed or inappropiated affect.

G. Eccentric, odd, or peculiar behavior / appearance.

H. Few or no close friends or confidants. Not including first-degree relatives.

I. Excessive social anxiety.

Wow..that makes me sound crazy, hell..maybe I am lol :roll: :dizzy2: :wideeyed: :laugh1:

OK, let me take what is sure to be an unpopular view ... something that I've been thinking of posting here for the last couple of days but had talked myself back from ... until this point:

Is it possible that you have been diagnoses with these partly because you have behaviors consistent with these definitions and partly because you have sought these diagnoses? That you see yourself as off-centered, abnormal in behavior or thought and rather than chalking that up to mere weirdness you're trying to find some underlying reason that goes beyond our natural human tendencies? Maybe I shouldn't say "you," for it might be your parents or your doctor or something else that's contributing to this. Is it possible you're normal in that you're just a little abnormal, like everybody else? Is it possible you don't need these extra adjectives?

OK, it's out there.

First, I don't know anything about you. I don't know the severity of each of those conditions so you might be ill and these comments might be completely inappropriate.

Second, in today's era of western medicine being dominated by drug companies who profit by developing treatments for these idosyncratic diagnoses, it seems a little too convienent for people to be afflicted with multiple mental disorders. And more often than not I find those children who are diagnosed with these disorders tend to come from those households where the parents, whether it be because they have to work or because of willful neglect, aren't able to develop the same kind of relationships with their children that were commonplace only twenty years ago.

So rather than put in the time to develop this relationship it is much more convient to transfer the guilt onto a faceless disorder.

I'm getting off track. The underlying point I'm trying to make is that there are so many underlying causes of these diagnoses (western medicine, pharmacutical prevalence, disintegration of the home) that these types of multiple-disorder diagnoses end up being very dubious from my point of view.

OK ... commence the flaming. I just thought it would be interesting for some people to hear that.

first off, I'd like to say that I agree with your post. However, it doesnt apply to me. I agree that a lot of people (primarily young people) are just using these things as a way to feel better about themselves, because a "label" calms people into knowing that they're not alone. People dont want to feel like they're separated from the world because of a mere abnormality, so they use these "labels" as a way to accept who they are. I assure you, in my case, its not about self-acceptance, because I accept that I am a person, neither normal, nor weird, I'm just me, and it has nothing to do with ADD, Dyslexia, or Paranoia. I just thought I'd be an interesting post to see what people struggle with. I have been diagnosed, and I never went to the doctor expecting to be diagnosed with ADD or Dyslexia. I went to the doctor because I had problems with attention, school, and sleep. I havent been diagnosed with Paranoia, but there's no other word for how I feel when I'm out in public. You dont need a diagnosis to figure that one out. I'm fine with who I am, and it has nothing to do with those disorders. I mainly use those words as a simplified way of explaining to people how I think, and how I feel in public. The one thing that I'd like to point out about your post is that when you mentioned the possibility that I was neglected by my parents, and I took that as an insult. You're right about the part when you said that you didnt know anything about me, and I assure you, if you knew me (especially my parents), you wouldnt have thought of the possibility of parental neglect in the first place. I'd try not to be quick to analyze someone next time. Your opinion is perceptive, but not in my case. I must have just fallen in the category with all those other young people when you read the post, and I'm pointing out that I'm not one of them. Tis all. Hope that clears it up.

rf_ucsd's long post above sounds A LOT like this one psychology class I took in my last year of college. Some kind of psychology and law. The 'prof'/lawyer I had was all against these labels and said that people use them as a way to get out of certain things. So he would say instead of saying you have a 'brat' as a child, people say they have ADD. He would was also against labeling people as having a learning disorder. (An example) One of his comments was that some people are just 'bad' at math and parents want to believe that their child has a learning disorder and therefore they should be graded more leniently.

This thread is also interesting because today I just saw on ad (probably pharmaceutical) about how millions of people in the US are depressed and that there is a link between chronic pain, fatigue, etc. and depression.

I agree that perhaps things are getting to the extreme and that the pharmaceutical companies are just trying to profit off of all of this, but at the same time I don't think you can just ignore the problems. I think some people may really have, say, depression and you can't just tell them to make it go away. It needs to be taken seriously.

Anyways, I believe in behavioral therapy and sometimes medicine may be necessary. So I guess what I'm trying to say is that I somewhat agree with rf_ucsd points, but you can't just blame the parents or say it's just labelling. Sometimes what's there is really there. Well.. I shall stop babbling now. :dozey:

rf_ucsd's long post above sounds A LOT like this one psychology class I took in my last year of college. Some kind of psychology and law. The 'prof'/lawyer I had was all against these labels and said that people use them as a way to get out of certain things. So he would say instead of saying you have a 'brat' as a child, people say they have ADD. He would was also against labeling people as having a learning disorder. (An example) One of his comments was that some people are just 'bad' at math and parents want to believe that their child has a learning disorder and therefore they should be graded more leniently.

This thread is also interesting because today I just saw on ad (probably pharmaceutical) about how millions of people in the US are depressed and that there is a link between chronic pain, fatigue, etc. and depression.

I agree that perhaps things are getting to the extreme and that the pharmaceutical companies are just trying to profit off of all of this, but at the same time I don't think you can just ignore the problems. I think some people may really have, say, depression and you can't just tell them to make it go away. It needs to be taken seriously.

Anyways, I believe in behavioral therapy and sometimes medicine may be necessary. So I guess what I'm trying to say is that I somewhat agree with rf_ucsd points, but you can't just blame the parents or say it's just labelling. Sometimes what's there is really there. Well.. I shall stop babbling now. :dozey:

Obviously, I agree with this. In the end, I think pharmaceuticals do two things:

1) They discourage people from trying to solve developmental problems by giving them medicines that will surpress symptoms without curing, AND

2) Creates a culture dependent on narcotics.

I will be very interesting to see the development of the current generation of children, to see if they develop a greater incidence of illicit drug dependency because they have been taking low (sometimes high) grade narotics since a very young age.

It does.

That's a good explanation, Chad.

Thanks.

you're welcome. By the way, what's your name?

My name is Richard ... I should add that to my sig to make it easier for people. I know a lot of people have it in theirs and I always think that's cool.

I will be very interesting to see the development of the current generation of children, to see if they develop a greater incidence of illicit drug dependency because they have been taking low (sometimes high) grade narotics since a very young age.

Interesting. I never thought about this.

Interesting. I never thought about this.

There are some studies floating around that have studied the issue. There isn't anything conclusive though because the phenomenon is so recent. The treatment community seems to think that adolescent dependence on drugs (such as Zoloft) drastically increases the odds of adult addiction. The case, though, is still being built.

wow, i was just thinking about this! Seriously... A highschool break-up now-a-days leads to Zoloft or Vicodin. Depression is rising to the extreme, and its triggered by tiny things, people are so fragile. I dont know what drives them to be depressed. These individuals dont bother me, I know a lot of people like that, its the fact that more and more people are becoming so easily depressed that bothers me. Its sad. These companies are making more money off of these people, and they probably wouldnt care if it got worse. Luckily I dont take any medication, I dont feel the need to take it. I really dont want to depend on pills, If there's a cure, its inside of me, not a pill. After realizing this, I've gotten better. It really is all about will-power. Many people lack it, but they can still learn it. Its tough, but it can be done. When people say "I try, but I cant" they're only digging the hole deeper. There needs to be more focus on family instead of medication. Parenting is the number one factor in how a child is going to feel about him/herself. Society/Surroundings is the number two factor. I just wish there was some more focus on solving the problem emotionally instead of with pills. Pills only hide the pain. The best thing you can do for someone who's depressed is befriend him/her and be there to listen. It does a world of good.

Little Nemo mentioned needing friends to solve problems, and I think that taps on to a very important aspect of this problem. Single parent homes and homes which have both parents working full time jobs have shown a much higher incidence of disorders needing drug treatment. If these diagnoses where true physiological phenomenon then you shouldn't see such an environmental dependency, a fact that tells me there's a huge problem of misdiagnosis.

And when you bring into the picture single parent or dual income families you start talking about socio-economic issues.

It's just a huge phenomenon that needs closer attention.

You know, in my day we used to just treat depression with some pot and a bottle of J&B, and while I don't have a lfunctioning liver and have developed this weird affinity for Viseine, I'm not depressed!

I just have a bad case of the munchies.

I wish I could feel like there was hope for the younger generation. There are so many teen pregnancies, with girls as young as 14, and thats becoming commonplace! In a county nearby, there are pregnancy outbreaks, along with STD outbreaks, and this is just in middleschool (age 11 - 14)! Its insane. I watched a documentary about underground clubs for middleschoolers where they would go and have sex with multiple people in one night. There's a popular trend now among middleschool girls where they'd wear jelly bracelets; one for each sexual act they've commited. The more bracelets they have, the more popular they are. There is some hope, but its not with these kids.

I just wish there were a News Program that only showed GOOD news.