🌙 COLDPLAY ANNOUNCE MOON MUSIC OUT OCTOBER 4TH 🎵

Why does it take a TV writer less than a year to write 20 hours of material, and musicians 3 years t

Coldplay

I can imagine if a band brought out 2 albums a year everyone would be sick to death of their music. Unless you're Rhianna with a million people who write songs for you and all you have to do is turn up and sing.

It could be a marketing ploy in that case, the anticipation and waiting for an album leads to more sales perhaps.

or there are a lot of people involved with creating a tv series, you only have to watch the credits to see how many. Whereas (ignoring production teams and all those people who sort out their stage sets and tour dates) in a band there are usually 3 or 4ish people doing a heavy amount the work.

I don't really know enough about either writing tv series or music so I'm just guessing.

Not just Coldplay, but the majority of modern bands today. It takes them 2-4 years to put out an album. Pop music is different, more like an album every year or two, but the material aside from the singles is useless and not worth listening to, majority of the time.

The Beatles didn't like to tour as far as I know, so I can see that as being a factor for making so many albums.

the music industry was veeeeery different back then i don't think it's fair to make that comparison

The point I was making was semi-serious, but Coldplay went on about how long they spent on MX... I don't think they genuinely don't know how they could spend three years on that album.

As people have mentioned already though, if you look at other bands, not everyone spends that long. A lot of bands I reckon go into the studio for a few months, but only after a year or two of touring.

Some shows have many writers; Doctor Who, Heroes, Lost, Friends are a few I can think of. Smaller shows like The Office (UK) or Gavin and Stacey have fewer episodes, were more infrequent, and just written by a couple of people.

I'd say the bigger shows are a bit like a Rihanna album that gets released every year: different writers and producers contribute. This is opposed to a band like Radiohead, who spend time on other projects, and wait longer before reconvening to release something that the six of them (Godrich included) have worked on. And this, for me, is more like something like Sherlock, where there are only three writers, and they probably work closer together.