✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Journalism?! I Don't Know :/

Til_Kingdom_Come

Anyway, I was thinking of taking up journalism, so I could become a music journalist for a magazine like Kerrang! or something. You may be thinking that I only want to do this to meet my favourite band, but that's not the case. It's just that IT and English are my only good subjects at school. I've always been really interested in rock music and I'm already writing reviews for albums in my notepad. I've done Green day's UNO! and American Idiot, aswell as Coldplay's Mylo Xyloto. I've got about 20 music magazines, and use them for inspiration.

Are any of you guys journalists for magazine, websites, forums, newspapers, freelance, etc..?

Thanks in advance!! :)

Hi!

I'm a "journalist-in-training". I was a news reporter for my college's newspaper my first year at college. I now work at a news station, and am transferring to a Journalism school this next Fall.

I love Journalism. I'm somewhat-new to the field, but I cannot say enough positive things about the field. Hell, I wasn't even interested in it until about three months before I began college, but I feel blessed that my eyes were opened to it.

If you don't mind me asking, how old are you? If you're still in High School, try to get on board with the newspaper. (If you have one, of course.) If you're starting college soon, take at least one class about Journalism. Join the newspaper if you want. Just make sure it's something you really want to do.

Of course, the field isn't for everyone. And, (un)fortunately, it's something that, if you aren't so great at it, you will know very soon on. People can be quite blunt, and a range of attitudes, but everyone has to start somewhere.

I was in your spot initially. I was either wanting to report about music or technology. While both are fun to cover, I've found that basic news interests me much more. Try it out some, but of course, your tastes may change.

Of course, I am well aware of how shitty the pay is, and how low the amount of jobs are. Like many have already stated, it's a horrible choice if you're wanting to become wealthy. However, unless things change, I'm sticking with Journalism. I sincerely love it.

But, others here have much, much better advice than I do. Follow them.

Good luck!

Whoever.

I'd love to be a reporter. My first official journalism job was as a copy editor, and ironically, I work as a (video) editor at my current job. While it's fun, the semester I spent doing nothing but reporting was the most fun I've had (yet).

But, of course, when/if better things come, I'll snatch them up.

I'd love to be a reporter. My first official journalism job was as a copy editor, and ironically, I work as a (video) editor at my current job. While it's fun, the semester I spent doing nothing but reporting was the most fun I've had (yet).

But, of course, when/if better things come, I'll snatch them up.

You probably know all this, but for anyone who doesn't...

Reporting's hard work. It's a lot of changing stuff, being told to write 1000 words, then 50, then 200, a lot of research, a lot of pressure. Of course, it's the glamorous side of the job but it's also a lot of responsibility and creativity.

Editing's just as rigorous but in a different way. You're under pressure to make the work better, it's a bit like being a producer, and the reporter's your singer. Paul Epworth phones Adele and asks her to write lyrics for a Bond theme. He might have to tell her to redo them over and over again til they're right. They're both under pressure, but they both have different responsibilities.

I'd say to anyone with a creative streak, ideas, someone who's got the schemes, enjoys writing about anything and everything, become a reporter.

I'd say to anyone who enjoys journalism in general, is a team player and is someone who likes circling the grammar errors out of someone else's work, or coming up with bigger ideas than just single articles, become an editor.

Hope that helps anyone. Of course, there's no reason you can't do both, but honing your skills up on each is something worth doing.