✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Transgender Toilets?

Empily

I know y'all love to talk about transgender and a-sexuality so what do you guys recon about this?

One of Britain's top universities could become the first in the country to install three types of toilet for men, women and transgenders.

The 'gender neutral' loos have been requested by the student union at the University of Sussex in Brighton, in a bid to make all students feel more welcome.

But some students have labelled the idea as 'stupid', saying the committee should be spending more time discussing other issues.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2464831/University-plans-build-THREE-types-toilet-men-women-transgender-students-feel-welcome.html

Opinions?

Seriously? :facepalm:

I have a better idea, how about ONE type of toilet for ALL?

We're all humans after all, so set up booths and everybody has their privacy.

Ummmm no. I'm a nervous pooer, I couldn't do it with women in the bathroom. Actually, I don't in public toilets anyways. But still it'd be too odd. Plus, what about rapist? I seriously feel this could be a safety issue in some locations.

Ummmm no. I'm a nervous pooer, I couldn't do it with women in the bathroom. Actually, I don't in public toilets anyways. But still it'd be too odd. Plus, what about rapist? I seriously feel this could be a safety issue in some locations.

We all poop the same! And I believe male/female poop stinks the same, so I see no issue here.

And I don't poop in public either, but compare it to festival situations, there is a line of dixis (these portable toilet thingies) and everybody goes on them and nobody complaints.

And I believe if somebody wants to rape you the rapist wouldn't hide on a public toilet where people come and go all the time.

Hell I dunno, I just don't understand all that fuzz about gender seperated toilets, I think it's ridiculous.

ugh I have so much to say about this

First of all (this is only in the article, I know, but I just wanted to say it), "transgenders" is NOT a word. Transgender is not a noun, it's an adjective. (Yes, I realize people say "gays," but by the same principle, they shouldn't)

Secondly (and more importantly): Do you know how terrified I am of using the women's bathroom? (I'm AFAB - assigned female at birth - but identify as agender/gender neutral, and present kind of "boyishly," for those of you who don't know me well. This means I fall under the trans*gender umbrella.) I have to, because there is literally nothing else for me to use except the gender-neutral handicapped restaurants, and those only pop up once in a while.

Seriously, I've had women (assuming) give me weird looks, come in to the bathroom and say "Are you supposed to be in here?," and someone at school telling me that I was going into the girl's bathroom (I guess he thought I was a guy?). I can't use the men's bathroom though, either, because my bottom half "gives me away" as a girl (lol) all the time. So.

Thirdly: rapist issue. Are you actually kidding me? Trans* people (and most other people, for that matter), though they do rape, rarely do it as often as others. Heck, I would be more scared of a cisgender [assigned ____ at birth and identifying that way] man in the bathroom than another trans* person.

Fourly (on to the actual article), this is kind of a bad idea. If you're transgender, that doesn't necessarily mean that you're non-binary [not a woman/man]. That, and this would be outing people as trans*, which is a really, reaaaally bad idea, especially for trans* women, who get killed all the time. I'm not binary trans* myself, but this would be an awful way to come out.

tl;dr there shouldn't be separate bathrooms for transgender people and I basically agree with Thalia

(wow lots of trans* rage whoops)

(I know I used a crapload of vocabulary terms all at once, sorry for that)

(parentheses)

EDIT: also, it's asexual, not a-sexual, but that's not really related to being transgender necessarily anyway sooooo

I think the Daily Mail is framing it as 'transgender toilets', everything else seems to mention 'gender neutral'. Though I agree with you completely on the points you've raised MaxRide, how many cis people are actually going to use a gender neutral toilet? I guess at least it's there if people are comfortable using it. Nothing is ever a black or white solution

And I believe if somebody wants to rape you the rapist wouldn't hide on a public toilet where people come and go all the time.

Erghhhhh just because you believe so doesn't mean that it doesn't happen...

One toilet for everybody doesn't exactly work either... sexual harassment from cis men would be a big problem there. Of course this is not saying LGBTI* people are incapable of doing so...

Complex.

The whole reason that gendered toilets were brought in in the first place was to try prevent sexual assault so i can understand that trans toilets would be brought in for the same reason. Ideally we could all just use the same toilets but i'm not really someone who can truly understand what trans people have to deal with so yeah.

^ (Just FYI, "boys who dress like girls" are not necessarily girls. :nice: )

I mean, if you're basically outed, is that worth not having the risk of sexual assault? idk

(in some cases, I imagine, being outed would make you more likely to be sexually assaulted anyway. So.))

I'm part of a movement of gender neutrality, and this issue of seperating men and women in seperate rooms where we basically do the same thing is just another way to let those conservatives deal any issue of gender/sex the same way. For example, people that say that mens bathrooms are much dirtier and womens are cleaner is generalizing that all men are dirty pigs, or that all men are rapists. Making yet ANOTHER seperation is setting us far back from reaching gender equality. It may seem really uncomfortable for some people to fart infront of a man or that someone from the opposite sex can hear you do your buisiness but it shouldn't be that way at all! It's a mindset that society has let you to believe that its gross and unatural even if the bio books tell you that we all do it.

Although it is just my opinion and I'd like to know if someone think i'm a nutcase!

^ I mean, I went to a Trans* conference last year (A+ amazing), and there were only gender neutral restrooms, but there were definitely cis people there, and they were using the gender neutral restrooms without much thought. :shrug:

Ehhhh that's a little different from having the traditional wom*n/man option and a gender neutral one in addition in an environment where cis people may not be well versed at all on trans* issues

That's pretty cool though

^ (Just FYI, "boys who dress like girls" are not necessarily girls. :nice: )

I mean, if you're basically outed, is that worth not having the risk of sexual assault? idk

(in some cases, I imagine, being outed would make you more likely to be sexually assaulted anyway. So.))

Just FYI, this is transgender in my country, you should know how girlish they are.

[ame=

]
[/ame]

^ I'm not denying that they aren't "girlish"/transgender, I'm just saying that a person assigned male at birth (AMAB) who wears 'women's' clothing isn't necessarily a woman. Yes, plenty of AMAB people who are transgender wear 'women's' clothing and consider themselves women - more power to them! Not everyone is like that, though.