✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Regarding Jonny, Will, and Guy

Cheese Nip 2

I haven't really been active in the Coldplay fan community since the release of MX, but from what I have read a lot of people, including myself, seem to feel as though the rest of the band has kind of become more of Chris's backing band. Don't get me wrong, I think Chris is great, but I haven't seen or heard any interviews with the other 3 in a long time (if they've done any, I'd like to see them). Back during the Viva La Vida era, they were all doing interviews and seemed to all be very proud of their work. They may still have the same dynamic they used to have, but on MX and Ghost Stories, the rest of the group almost doesn't seem as prominent.

That being said, the footage from their GoT project showed some of that classic collaboration, but then again that was something very different from the last 2 albums.

Curious what others think. Have we heard anything from the rest of the band recently?

As much as I too would like to see more of Jonny, Will and Guy, it just doesn't seem like they are those type of ppl. By their own admission, they're more introverted and are thankful for Chris being the buffer between the band and the press.

Jonny is only ever in interviews because Chris drags him out.

Guy is perhaps the most interesting of them all, but damn does he seem shy. It doesnt make him a bad person, but I would look forward to his words the most.

Will I believe is a strong speaker. IIRC, he actually gave the speak on behalf of the band when they won one of their Grammy's early on in their career around LP2 era. But I guess the press just isn't as interested in him as Chris.

Even with this apparent shyness, I think they're just as interesting and would like to see them at least show up in interviews and such.

GS though is a bit of an outlier. The album was clearly Chris-centric in terms of theme and message so it made sense that Chris did most of the talking about it.

But in terms of their musical output on MX, I don't have much issue with it. Of course the singer is gonna have more of the spotlight, but I think the rest of the band are definitely there and present in the recordings. Just as examples, Jonny owns HLH and True Love and Guy owns Major Minus and Magic. I think those are very strong contributions. I'm not gonna say much about Will since i'm not a drummer.

[video=vimeo;95930856]https://vimeo.com/95930856

Thank you! That's exactly the kind of thing I was looking for.

But I guess the press just isn't as interested in him as Chris.

That's an interesting point. Like you, I find the rest of the band very interesting, but I suppose it's not really the rest of the group's disinterest, but rather the press's disintrest with them. Which is really a shame. I used to love the group interviews as we got to see each member's personality and how it affected the album. But like you mentioned, perhaps given their personalities they may be glad Chris is handling all the interviews.

Either way, I'd really dig hearing more from them during the AHFOD era

I suppose it's not really the rest of the group's disinterest, but rather the press's disintrest with them

Think its both. It's clear that Jonny and Guy are uncomfortable with most interviews whereas Chris is just friendly to everyone. Not that Jonny and Guy aren't friendly. Just that it takes them a bit more to be like that to random strangers.

And by Chris's own words, obviously the press is gonna be more interested in the band member who's been in a relationship with a hollywood star and hollywood friends. It's only natural and I certainly wouldn't expect different. As a group who are more than the casual fan, I think we would like to see the others though nonetheless but the opportunity is never given by either the press nor the band.

lol, well, being a straight male, his sex appeal doesn't really call to me. But him being an antique collector and photographer just tells me he must have pretty good stories to tell. If only he would share some....

Same here, but raising awareness of bass players in any way possible is always good in my opinion!

I don't know if this is relevant, but if a model was made for the band, I guess it would look like a flower. Chris is the flower part of a plant with the petals and the more noticeable parts, while the others function more like the stem and roots, holding up the flower part as well as each other.

A lot of bands, especially with more introverted or timid members seem to function this way. If you see Chris in a lot of solo interviews, you could say that the band is with him, but in spirit.

I also find it interesting how Coldplay has survived for this long. After more than a decade these guys have stuck together through thick and thin. All of their personalities contrast greatly, but this contrast seems to drive them all together like opposite poles on a magnet.

Even though they seem quite happy with how things are and to just let Chris take the spotlight, they are really interesting when they do sit for interviews. I think Jonny and Guy seem somewhat more comfortable in interviews when Chris isn't around. They say more than they would normaly do if they were paired up with Chris and they're even funny and witty. Maybe it's cause they just have to do all the talking. Of course , as it was mentioned before, the press' interest is mainly on Chris and sometimes they get asked questions ( like about lyrics and stuff) that only Chris could answer.

[video=youtube;2fpTvuqHf00]

[video=youtube;9O0us8BLIIE]

[video=youtube;2-YXTgyHXck]

Well, the others are more comfortable with Jo whom there interacted with numerous time before. What makes Chris different is that he can seemingly act like that with total strangers. Doesn't make the others bad ppl, but I just wish they found a way to be more prominent in interviews.

Well, the others are more comfortable with Jo whom there interacted with numerous time before. What makes Chris different is that he can seemingly act like that with total strangers. Doesn't make the others bad ppl, but I just wish they found a way to be more prominent in interviews.

The thing is, even when they're not with Jo, they seem to "show moreof themselves" you know what I mean? Of course, Chris seems to be able to act like that with whoever interviews him, that's just how he is and the fact the others are more reserved is their personality. That does not make them bad people by any means!

i think chris is a 'people person'. he is comfortable with most people and it works as the frontman. you can see the unique connections he can make with people even in a short time from stories shared here and elsewhere. i think will is quite a 'people person' too. it's just that he doesn't do as many interviews. i would really like to see more interviews with will (without chris) as he seems to be the more 'no nonsense' interviewee (and chris is probably the most 'nonsensical' interviewee :) ). jonny and especially guy, seem to thrive being in the shadows. except for when jonny is dragged by chris to smile beside him in interviews. but the chemistry works, that's the beauty of it.

i think chris is a 'people person'. he is comfortable with most people and it works as the frontman. you can see the unique connections he can make with people even in a short time from stories shared here and elsewhere. i think will is quite a 'people person' too. it's just that he doesn't do as many interviews. i would really like to see more interviews with will (without chris) as he seems to be the more 'no nonsense' interviewee (and chris is probably the most 'nonsensical' interviewee :) ). jonny and especially guy, seem to thrive being in the shadows. except for when jonny is dragged by chris to smile beside him in interviews. but the chemistry works, that's the beauty of it.

:wacky:

:jbcm:

*faints* :laugh3:

Aah... those two, they never fail to bring a smile, and a contented sigh, to my face :loveshower: