✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[2021-10-04] Coldplay on Taratata (French TV)

Captain Crieff

Coldplay will appear on the French music show Taratata next Monday - I'm not when it will be broadcast.

You can still watch their previous appearance on the show, in 2011, here: https://mytaratata.com/artistes/coldplay/live

For some unknown reason I've been subscribed to their mailing list to apply to be in the audience for years so when I got the email for this show I was like "lol why not apply, won't get in anyway" .......and I accidentally got selected wooops, so had to plan a last-minute trip to Paris which happens to be my favourite city in the world as well, how very unfortunate!!!

anyway seeing Coldplay on Monday with my good friend @Coeurli :dance:

• Like 5

15 hours ago, samerater said:

@Captain CrieffI have the exact same story haha. Signed up expecting not to get it and then ended up buying last minute tickets to Paris. Are you guys going to go there early to see if you can meet anyone?

Don’t know yet, the weather is going to improve tomorrow so I might go to a park or so and pretend it’s Spring. Poor Coeurli has to be in a meeting (digitally) until just before entering the studio so she’ll join me last minute

Please tell me what the performance was like yesterday! ? I hope you had a great time!

The Shepherd's Bush Empire show has me going crazy for days, I can't think about anything else but seeing Coldplay live. So I'm very curious about the remark they made about a world tour? ?

Hi :cheesy: if anyone is interested in reading the contents of the part of my brain that contains my memories of the taping, I emptied everything on the keyboard below! (warning: it's long, I am incapable of keeping these things brief)

Before they let us into the studio, we all had to show our pass sanitaire (vaccination certificate or proof of negative test), put on a black mask, hand over all our stuff including our phones, and wait for what seemed like an hour (no phones so no concept of time) crammed together in front of the studio door. 

Then they finally let us in and told us where to sit. We ended up almost all the way in the corner on Guy's side which was really good! Whilst passing by the stage, some people had looked at the setlist and turns out People of The Pride was on it :omgomg: along with Higher Power, My Universe and The Scientist.

Coldplay were the first artist to perform because that meant they could leave nice and early, and also because they had their own stage & gear unlike all the other artists. So they'd perform Higher Power, then do the interview, then the host would say they'd be back at the end of the programme, announce a duet between 2 of the other artists, which would in fact happen much later into the taping, then Coldplay would play the rest of their set, we'd all pretend the show was over, and then the "normal" part of the show would follow. So if at any point while watching the programme you think 'hmm, the audience doesn't seem that excited about the host saying "coming up: COLDPLAY!!!"", that's because they had already played and we had been in that studio for like 3 hours dehydrated as fuck and wearing that stupidly hot mask lol.

Soooo the host announced Coldplay, the band walked on and Chris immediately looked at the audience and said "is it the law that they have to wear masks? C'est triste". ...listen, if you had asked me 4 hours later I'd have agreed (c'était triste, trop chaud, donnez-moi de l'eau, etc) but at that point all I thought was omg who cares about the mask we get to see Coldplay!

An advantage of a tv taping is the music isn't hearing-damagingly loud like it can be in a big stadium, so I didn't need earplugs and you could say this was the first time I heard Coldplay raw and unfiltered :charming: During Higher Power I got a little bit emotional because I never expected to hear it live so soon and fucking hell, that bridge slaps.

Then it was time for the interview, and we have to thank the host here for basically begging Guy and Will to join the interview, which they eventually did! When it comes to the questions and how well-prepared they'd be, we were prepared for anything because the last time Coldplay was on this show, the same host literally thought Til Kingdom Come was on MX :blank: But this time he did a really great interview! It started off quite deep, with questions about how what the band studied at university influenced the album, but they also talked about green touring, the two ocean cleanup boats the band bought, BTS of course, also the Selena Gomez collab very briefly, the Higher Power launch, People of the pride being an "angry gay anthem", how Yellow was written (ft. Chris playing a bit of Yellow and two (2) seconds of Shiver) and lots of other things I can't remember at the moment. As for the tour, I know Twitter immediately went crazy at the band allegedly saying they'd announce a tour very soon and while that may be true, I'm pretty sure they didn't actually say that. They did say they would tour as soon as they're allowed to, and as soon as it's possible again, but it's out of their hands now.

Back to the music! The Scientist was the oldie on the setlist and ahhhh it was beautiful. This being a small room with decent acoustics and not an echo-y stadium meant I could hear all the instruments very clearly :heart:. If you hear someone yell JONNY at one point, that was @Coeurli hahaha. The previous time I saw Coldplay, back in 2017, this sudden "oh no when will I even get to hear this live again?" thought hit me during The Scientist. Well, in 2021 in a French TV studio, apparently. If you'd have told me that 4 years ago I'd have been like 'haha, what?' Life is wild.

Anyway, up next PEOPLE OF THE PRIDE aka us completely LOSING IT because holy crêpe what a song. Chris' performance as well. So powerful. Headbanging to a Coldplay song - who'd have thought? Not me. The last song was My Universe and this probably isn't a good moment to say this but I'm not a fan of the chorus ._. I do like the verses including the Korean and I'd love to know if Chris' pronunciation is any good haha. The highlight of the song for me is that faux ending followed by the outro, that part is so damn good. Also, they had to start over because Chris messed up the first line, some things never change. Same for The Scientist, but that wasn't his fault I think, there was some technical issue too and when the host asked a certain Gérard if it was ok, Chris went GÉRARD ? QUI EST GÉRARD ? which was pretty funny.

So then we had to pretend it was the end of the programme, so all the artists came on and Coldplay said hi to them all and clearly showed the most interest to the more unknown ones like the angels they are. Also, the host gave Guy the longest hug.

Then of course we all had to stay for the other artists, who were all très français. Pascale Obispo was apparently a bit jealous of Coldplay's long interview, didn't stop joking about it and also derailed the whole thing by straight up taking over the host's job and interviewing one of the other singers for a bit lol. That may have made the taping last even longer though, so sorry Bernard Lavilliers, I was almost asleep by the time you finally got to perform + all I was thinking was give me water I need water I could drink a whole lake please give me water water waterrrrr :wreck:

For real though this was a lot of fun and Taratata is a great show I wish we had something like that in Belgium!

• Love 5

54 minutes ago, Captain Crieff said:

Hi :cheesy: if anyone is interested in reading the contents of the part of my brain that contains my memories of the taping, I emptied everything on the keyboard below! (warning: it's long, I am incapable of keeping these things brief)

Hide contents

Before they let us into the studio, we all had to show our pass sanitaire (vaccination certificate or proof of negative test), put on a black mask, hand over all our stuff including our phones, and wait for what seemed like an hour (no phones so no concept of time) crammed together in front of the studio door. 

Then they finally let us in and told us where to sit. We ended up almost all the way in the corner on Guy's side which was really good! Whilst passing by the stage, some people had looked at the setlist and turns out People of The Pride was on it :omgomg: along with Higher Power, My Universe and The Scientist.

Coldplay were the first artist to perform because that meant they could leave nice and early, and also because they had their own stage & gear unlike all the other artists. So they'd perform Higher Power, then do the interview, then the host would say they'd be back at the end of the programme, announce a duet between 2 of the other artists, which would in fact happen much later into the taping, then Coldplay would play the rest of their set, we'd all pretend the show was over, and then the "normal" part of the show would follow. So if at any point while watching the programme you think 'hmm, the audience doesn't seem that excited about the host saying "coming up: COLDPLAY!!!"", that's because they had already played and we had been in that studio for like 3 hours dehydrated as fuck and wearing that stupidly hot mask lol.

Soooo the host announced Coldplay, the band walked on and Chris immediately looked at the audience and said "is it the law that they have to wear masks? C'est triste". ...listen, if you had asked me 4 hours later I'd have agreed (c'était triste, trop chaud, donnez-moi de l'eau, etc) but at that point all I thought was omg who cares about the mask we get to see Coldplay!

An advantage of a tv taping is the music isn't hearing-damagingly loud like it can be in a big stadium, so I didn't need earplugs and you could say this was the first time I heard Coldplay raw and unfiltered :charming: During Higher Power I got a little bit emotional because I never expected to hear it live so soon and fucking hell, that bridge slaps.

Then it was time for the interview, and we have to thank the host here for basically begging Guy and Will to join the interview, which they eventually did! When it comes to the questions and how well-prepared they'd be, we were prepared for anything because the last time Coldplay was on this show, the same host literally thought Til Kingdom Come was on MX :blank: But this time he did a really great interview! It started off quite deep, with questions about how what the band studied at university influenced the album, but they also talked about green touring, the two ocean cleanup boats the band bought, BTS of course, also the Selena Gomez collab very briefly, the Higher Power launch, People of the pride being an "angry gay anthem", how Yellow was written (ft. Chris playing a bit of Yellow and two (2) seconds of Shiver) and lots of other things I can't remember at the moment. As for the tour, I know Twitter immediately went crazy at the band allegedly saying they'd announce a tour very soon and while that may be true, I'm pretty sure they didn't actually say that. They did say they would tour as soon as they're allowed to, and as soon as it's possible again, but it's out of their hands now.

Back to the music! The Scientist was the oldie on the setlist and ahhhh it was beautiful. This being a small room with decent acoustics and not an echo-y stadium meant I could hear all the instruments very clearly :heart:. If you hear someone yell JONNY at one point, that was @Coeurli hahaha. The previous time I saw Coldplay, back in 2017, this sudden "oh no when will I even get to hear this live again?" thought hit me during The Scientist. Well, in 2021 in a French TV studio, apparently. If you'd have told me that 4 years ago I'd have been like 'haha, what?' Life is wild.

Anyway, up next PEOPLE OF THE PRIDE aka us completely LOSING IT because holy crêpe what a song. Chris' performance as well. So powerful. Headbanging to a Coldplay song - who'd have thought? Not me. The last song was My Universe and this probably isn't a good moment to say this but I'm not a fan of the chorus ._. I do like the verses including the Korean and I'd love to know if Chris' pronunciation is any good haha. The highlight of the song for me is that faux ending followed by the outro, that part is so damn good. Also, they had to start over because Chris messed up the first line, some things never change. Same for The Scientist, but that wasn't his fault I think, there was some technical issue too and when the host asked a certain Gérard if it was ok, Chris went GÉRARD ? QUI EST GÉRARD ? which was pretty funny.

So then we had to pretend it was the end of the programme, so all the artists came on and Coldplay said hi to them all and clearly showed the most interest to the more unknown ones like the angels they are. Also, the host gave Guy the longest hug.

Then of course we all had to stay for the other artists, who were all très français. Pascale Obispo was apparently a bit jealous of Coldplay's long interview, didn't stop joking about it and also derailed the whole thing by straight up taking over the host's job and interviewing one of the other singers for a bit lol. That may have made the taping last even longer though, so sorry Bernard Lavilliers, I was almost asleep by the time you finally got to perform + all I was thinking was give me water I need water I could drink a whole lake please give me water water waterrrrr :wreck:

For real though this was a lot of fun and Taratata is a great show I wish we had something like that in Belgium!

First of all thank you for your detailed story about the show, I was waiting for someone who could update us ?

So I assume that People of the Pride is going to be pretty awesome live!

Also thank you for clarifying that news about a possible upcoming tour, because I when I've read about this the other day, I've had the sensation that even though fans were becoming overexcited, there may be some delay in their official announcement of the tour due to the pandemic. 

(Good to know that the host did his homework and prepared himself for the interview this time, I'm trying to figure out Til Kingdom come on MX, but I can't, that's hilarious ahah?)