✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

~*~ The Official Will Champion Appreciation Thread ~*~

Breakfast_of_CHAMPION

I think Swedish writers are forced to use the full names..

Anyway, here it is with bad spelling & English & all ;)

Family Christmas holy for Coldplay

Music: What is yet another world tour for Coldplay? It could be really boirng, or far, far to wonderful.

- Try splendid. But currently it's Christmas celebrations with the family. It is holy, says Coldplay's drummer Will Champion.

A suit-dressed and snuffle (?) man around 40 is looking for a present. Not U2, not Lundell, not Springsteen. He blows his nose, puts down his hankercheif and steps up to the cd-desk (or something else...) on Drottninggatan in Stockholm.

- I heard Coldplay on the radio. How is he? Is he any good?

An entitled question. Actress Gwyneth Paltrow's husband, the singer Chris Martin, how is he really? Is he any good?

- Yeah, he's kind off good, laughs drummer Will Champion without being slightly offended about the episode in the cd-store.

Cause that's how Coldplay works. Chris Martin gets all the etention. And we mean ALL the etention. Despite Coldplay's sold out world tour, despite three Grammy-nominations, despite the fact that MTV named 'Speed of sound' song of the year and despite that blogs & music magazines all over the world ranks X&Y as the album off the year - despite that the band has had their best year so far - all the lights are still on Chris Martin.

While he tries to avoid the tabloid can guitarplayer Jonny Buckland, bassplayer Guy Berryman and the sympathic drummer Will Champion be assholes in the pub, support the Worldbank, buy Brasilian steak on Lidl. Not that they would ever do that, we are talking about well brought up and politically aware guys, but still. No one would care.

I am tepted to snatch the passing-card of Will Champion, just to see what happens, how many minutes it takes for him to be forced out of Globens charmless undersealing. None of the guard recognise him, not the record-company people, or the fans either. He would be forced to go out into the cold, alone and abonndend, until Chris Martin misses his drummer and inquries for him on Globens intranet.

- It probablly wouldn't go that far, says Will Champion and drums on his card that hangs around his neck.

But he does share my analysis, in the amount off it being that.

- It's Chris that talks and is seen from the outside, that's how the groups dynamic has always been and it suits me perfectly. We know our parts in the band, we fit together like a puzzle. If I were the front man we would probablly still be in basements in London.

But it's a long time ago since arena-band Coldplay was that far down. It was a long time ago Chris Martin & Jonny Buckland shared dorm-halls in London, such a long time ago that Will Champion can shrug about the comparison to U2.

- Before we where compared with Travis & Radiohead, now we are being compared with U2. Off course it's flattering but we're doing our thing and U2 do their's, says Will Champion & signals that the subject feels talked out.

Well. Then let's talk about Christmas instead, something that is a lot closer to his heart.

- I love Christmas! Three days of loud eating & drinking. & betting, everybody makes bet's about when snow is coming. Often it doesn't come at all, laughs Will Champion and continues to tell.

- My family lives everywhere in England but as far as I can remember we meet in Southampton & celebrate Christmas together. With all siblings & aunts & uncles & cousins we are usually around 25-30 people.

He says that the celebration is holy. His brother's have moved to Australia & Will is trying to make his family go & celebrate Christmas 'down under'.

- My dad want's to be home but I think he also like the idea of leaving Southampton & try a real beach Christmas with a barbeque. We'll see.

- What about presents? Does everybody expect cars and houses as gifts now that you're rich as a troll.

- I've thought a lot about that, it isn't very easy. But the more the band is on tour, the more I feel like the family more than anything validates me as a person. That we get to see each other is the most important thing for me & my family. Christmas isn't about presents for us. My time is the most valuble gift I can give.

- ...and a new car.

- (laughs) Okey. And a new car.

http://www.gp.se/gp/jsp/Crosslink.jsp?d=286&a=250114