✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Oh crap.

Sweet One

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, this thread really took off.

My rent is going up $50 a month if that makes you feel better Laura. And I really love my place, but I cant afford it. So we gave the notice today that we are moving out. We've been looking for a place since January, when I first found out the rent was going up. Its such a pain looking for a new place, and the act of moving is such a pain too. Not looking forward to it at all.

$50 a month!?!? Holy crap!

Yeah. I talked to my landlord and she was like, "If we don't raise your rent, will you renew your lease" and I was like, HELL YES! But I think she has to talk it over with the property management company.

I hope they don't raise it. I love my apartment...and it's in such a good area. It'd be a pain to have to look for a new place.

Well... my apartment situation is getting worse. We found a really nice place this weekend, in the style that we have now. I called today to tell them that we are very interested and guess what? Someone rented it out already.

Laura, if they don't raise your rent and just let you renew your lease doesnt have solve all your problems? I mean, didnt you want to renew your lease anyway?

Yes it will solve everything.

Actually, they gave me the option of refusing the increase, but if I do, i have to go to the rent control board place and give them a reason why I don't accept the increase. :)

Hopefully it'll all work out b/c I hate moving.

just hire movers! well if you do move, thats what me and ma famille do<<mostly cause we're lazy, but they come early in the morning and theyll be done before sundown-if you get the right company...look into it

we did hire movers last time. It's just the whole process of setting up the phone, cable and over all just settling in that bugs me.

You can refuse the increase? WTF? why doesnt anyone tell me these things? can you really refuse?

I believe so, Justine. In the sheet given to me, they give me the option of refusing the increase, but I have to have a specific reason as to why I don't think it's acceptable and then go to the Rent Control Board and fight for it. It's a lot of effort, but my friend tried it once and it worked. He didn't move and he didn't get an increase in his rent.

If we could refuse rent increases, wouldn't everyone do that?

I guess, but sometimes, depending on the property management company, they don't offer a refusal as an option. My mom told me that. She works in property management.

but you need a legitimate reason. I dont "umm.. im too poor" would work.

yeah, that definitely won't work..it has to be along the lines of why the increase is not justified (ie. they didn't do any renovations in the building and so on).

I have to move again. They're raising my rent and it's far too expensive for me to stay here. Goddamit.

I hate moving. It's too much trouble.

how much are they raising the rent? legally in ontario they are only allowed to raise it about 1.5% per year... i'm not sure if the same holds in quebec. if its more than 1.5% than what you are paying you can argue it.