✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Nick Drake

fifi

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had never heard about Nick Drake until I watched some English tv show last year and there was this amazingly beautiful (and sad) song played and I had to find out what song it was and who sang it. I managed to find the lyrics and that way discovered that the song was called Day is Done and the next thing was to find the album Five Leaves Left.. I listened to it and it was quite an experience.. the music is so beautiful.

It was a tragedy that his life ended so early, it's sad to think how important music was to him and how difficult it was to play it in front of other people..Somehow he still managed to create beautiful music (I know I've overused the word 'beautiful' here).. Bryter Layter and Pink Moon are great albums but my favourite is still Five Leaves Left. Not just because of Day is Done but there are so many lovely songs like River Man, Way To Blue and Time Has Told Me.

If you haven't listened to Nick Drake's music, give it a try.. It's brilliant.

Linnea...thank you for your comment.

I also wish that he had had a few more years left in his mind to produce more music.

Just his voice alone and his talents on guitar were enough to take over numerous groups.

I like to listen to anything Nick Drake if I am having a not so good day. Very unwinding.

Anyone got any live shows by mr drake?

try http://www.youtube.com/results?search=Nick+Drake&search_type=search_videos&search=Search

I've never quite understood those who say his music is depressing.. It's almost exactly the opposite to me, I'm not saying I'm all happiness when listening to him but it's just that soothing voice and melody that somehow make me feel better. Well I guess it's always a personal experience when listening to any music really..

btw thank you so much for posting that youtube-link:) I'd never seen any Drake-videos before. River Man is wonderful.:)

• 1 month later...

his clothes never fit him right.... his colleuges always mention that about him. I read that somewhere ... and you wouldn't notice it until you actually LOOKED. Or had that clothes watching tendency. And he was real tall.

UBER shy.... always sang towards the wall in studio. Sat way way back when on stage (as far away as possible from others)

My favourite album of the three is perhaps Five Leaves Left, I can't believe he was only about 20 when he recorded it...

River Man, Day Is Done and Way To Blue are simply beautiful.

Haven't heard any but the album tracks so far.. I'd love to hear more.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Rare Nick Drake tracks surface on 'Family Tree'

Album includes family duets

Several rare and never-before-heard tracks by Nick Drake will be released on the forthcoming album, 'Family Tree'.

Due out June 19, the album will feature 28 tracks including several that were recorded by the late singer-songwriter prior to his first album, as well as some rare covers.

The compilation also includes two songs performed by his mother, Molly, as well as a duet between Drake and his sister, Gabrielle.

A letter written by Gabrielle to her brother will also appear in 'Family Tree'.

The tracklisting is:

'Come In To The Garden'

'They're Leaving Me Behind'

'Time Piece'

'Poor Mum' (Molly Drake)

'Winter Is Gone'

'All My Trials' (Nick and Gabrielle Drake)

'Kegelstatt Trio for Clarinet, Viola and Piano' (Mozart)

'Strolling Down the Highway' (Bert Jansch)

'Paddling In Rushmere'

'Cocaine Blues'

'Blossom'

'Been Smokin' Too Long' (Robin Frederick)

'Black Mountain Blues' (Traditional)

'Tomorrow Is A Long Time' (Bob Dylan)

'If You Leave Me' (Dave Van Ronk)

'Here Come The Blues' (Jackson C. Frank)

'Sketch 1'

'Blues Run The Game' (Jackson C. Frank)

'My Baby So Sweet'

'Milk And Honey' (Jackson C. Frank)

'Kimbie'

'Bird Flew By'

'Rain'

'Strange Meeting II'

'Day Is Done'

'Come Into The Garden'

'Way To Blue'

'Do You Ever Remember?' (Molly Drake)

Additional Drake releases are expected later this year. The 'Fruit Tree Box Set' will contain Drake's three original studio albums, a new book, and a DVD of the documentary 'A Skin Too Few'.

-----------------

Meanwhile the 4-disc boxset "Fruit Tree" looks like to be getting a re-issue, so does that mean my copy of Time of No Reply will devalue?

Single handedly invented alternative music. His three albums get progressively better and take a wonderful journey. Pink Moon is eerie that it was his last as there is a sort of final quality about it. Get the three albums and be amazed.

• 10 months later...

When the day is done

Down to earth then sinks the sun

Along with everything that was lost and won

When the day is done

When the day is done

Hope so much your race will be all run

Then you find you jumped the gun

Have to go back where you begun

When the day is done

When the night is cold

Some get by but some get old

Just to show life’s not made of gold

When the night is cold

When the bird has flown

Got no-one to call your own

Got no place to call your home

When the bird has flown

When the game’s been fought

Newspaper blown accross the court

Lost much sooner than you would have thought

Now the game’s been fought

When the party’s through

Seems so very sad for you

Didn’t do the things you meant to do

Now there’s no time to start anew

Now the party’s through

When the day is done

Down to earth then sinks the sun

Along with everything that was lost and won

When the day is done

• 1 year later...

Didn't want to create a new thread for this tragic news:

Nick Drake's string arranger Robert Kirby dies

Robert Kirby, the string arranger who worked on Nick Drake's classic albums 'Five Leaves Left' and 'Bryter Layter', has died at the age of 61.

His son Henry, who plays in the band The Absolutes, confirmed that Kirby passed away on October 3 in a west London hospital, following a short illness.

Born in 1948, Kirby met Drake at Cambridge University in early 1968 and put together a string section to accompany the singer-songwriter at live appearances.

When Drake recorded his debut album, 'Five Leaves Left', in the summer of 1968, producer Joe Boyd had already lined-up another string arranger – but the singer rejected his arrangements and insisted Kirby was brought in.

He then returned to arrange the strings on 1970's 'Bryter Layter' and during the following decade he arranged the strings on more than 40 albums. Many of them were by folk artists such as Ralph McTell, Al Stewart and Vashti Bunyan, but he also worked on Elton John's 'Madman Across The Water', David Ackles' 'American Gothic' and John Cale's 'Helen Of Troy'.

Kirby also spent three years playing keyboards in The Strawbs in the mid-1970s, but at the end of the decade opted for a career in marketing.

He made only occasional returns to the studio in the 1980s, most notably on Elvis Costello's 'Almost Blue'. However, as Drake's cult status grew in the 1990s, he returned to the limelight.

Paul Weller invited him to arrange the strings on several tracks on his 2000 album 'Heliocentric'. Further invitations followed to work on albums by The Magic Numbers, Linda Thompson and on Vashti Bunyan's comeback, more than 35 years after their previous collaboration.

Kirby also added new string arrangements to several tracks on 'Made To Love Magic', the compilation album of Drake out-takes and remixed tracks, released in 2004.