✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Chris-Interview In 'Galore' [translated] -> Part 4!!

*Sarah*

hey there...

please let me know if you're interested in the other parts of the interview as well.

there are still 3 pages to come and I don't know if anyone's still reading in here... maybe I would translate anyway (just for practising a bit) but it's more fun knowing anyone actually is going to read it afterwards. ;)

so... do you want the other parts as well?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

alright then. ;)

but it may actually take some time until I'm able to post the next part.

I have a bad cold and can't really concentrate on anything at the moment.

I think I'm going to post the next part sometime next week. sorry, hope it's okay.

so... finally... this is part 3.

I'm very sorry that it took longer than I said but I still have that damn cold so it's actually kinda complicated to translate all that economy stuff. lol ;)

as always - sorry for mistakes.

first post updated as well if you'd like to read it in connection with the other parts... blaa... anyways... there you go ^^

When the plane was shaking, did you think about death then?

C: "Yes. I thought about my family, about the band and about Fair Trade. That is my life. I perfectly know that many people are talking cynically about musicians who are involved with social things and also talk about that fact very much. Sure, I could stop it. But that is out of question because it is my opinion that social injustice and inequality is indeed a big problem, but it could be solved easily."

How do you protect yourself from people who see you as a discontented do-gooder with a high talkativeness?

C: "With knowledge. I confront cynics and I bring forward arguments. That is why I flew to Haiti, Brazil or Ghana. I knew that there would be many interviews because of our new record. I could face them unmotivated, but why not using the time to talk about the effects of fair and unfair trade?"

What did you learn on your journeys?

C: "How terribly important it is for life in which corner of the world you were born. It isn’t a fair condition. And what I’ve also learned: How important and how bearing the abstract word “trade” really is for the good or evil of the world. It influences everything: Of course the economy, but the environment and the happiness of the people as well."

You called the shareholders the “biggest evil of the modern world” when the market price of your record label EMI was pressurised because the release of the Coldplay record was postponed. What is it that displeases you?

C: "The capitalism is a big misunderstanding. What counts is the current profit. Everything in the long run does not count at all. If pure growth is the most important thing, it’ll work. But clearly these thoughts can not be arranged with the well-being of the world. Take oil as an example: the welfare of millions of people is based on fossil fuels. But the battle for oil, the transport of oil etc. has catastrophic effects. It is a classic example how the chance of rapid money-making transfigures the sense of reality. Money is brilliant if it helps you to live your life how you imagine it. But money completely loses its sense when it becomes the most important thing." [Last sentence not directly translated]

part 4 and 5 still to come.

this is part 4!

I know, it took quite some time again, therefore you get a bigger part now. :smug: [just to let you know that I'm sorry lol]

first post updated... you already know that... there you go. ^^

In times of economic problems in Germany, Great-Britain or other rich countries: What do you think about the opinion that unemployment or the new poverty in your own country displaces the idea of Fair Trade?

C: “I completely understand that. Of course you have to focus on yourself first. Certainly jobs are on first position on the agenda in Germany. But I may ask politicians as well not to forget the injustice of world trade, just because there are problems to solve in their own countries, too.”

You, in contrast, work for an extremely successful business called Coldplay together with your school day friends and you live with your family in London. Am I right that your life is well-ordered?

C: “I live so well-ordered how it is possible for a human being to do. But life does not have much appreciation for order. Every time you think you can relax, things happen and everything is out of order again.”

For example?

C: “Diseases, a lost love, a bad record review…”

A bad review?

C: “Yes, sure. It touches me displeasingly, I can’t simply get over it. It isn’t easy to interact with people, who criticise you as a person or as a musician, in a healthy way. You have to learn it and I’m still learning it.”

Be honest: Someone who sells millions of records does not need to worry about a bad review?

C: “Bad and particularly unfair reviews are quite new to me since we haven’t been a big band for too long, yet. The special thing in this situation is that there are suddenly people who really hate you. Maybe you get used to it over the years, I think we simply have to go through it. Even a band as U2 had a time when especially Bono was hated by many people for his appearance and his commitment.”

The problem is: The people do not just dislike your music. They see Chris Martin in a magazine an say “I can’t stand that sentimental guy with that pretty Hollywood-wife.”

C: “And yet nobody has ever asked me if I wanted to be photographed for those sheets. It’s annoying; of course I don’t want to be in the damn yellow press. But these are old stories…”

Have you found a way to be undisturbed yet?

C: “Cap and sunglasses – and I’m able do what I liked to do during the last months: explore different areas of London. London has a cool energy, especially in the evening or at night.”

What kind of energy is it?

C: “The city is exciting. You know, I’ve barely been to London during the first 20 years of my life. I grew up in Devonshire, in the southwest of England. I only came to London when I was a student and the city still offers lots of glamour in my opinion. The same counts for Hamburg: The architecture is great.”

You’ve studied Ancient History. What inspired you?

C: “The knowledge about great civilisations and the way they went down. I really like Ancient Greece: the language, the culture. After all the folk invented democracy – a lasting achievement.”

You once said, music has the power to influence history in a positive way. What do you mean by that?

C: (Thinks) “As probably everyone, I’m always searching for answers. One answer I’ve found for myself and that I really like is the belief that music could have changed some of the most barbarous people. But I’m actually not completely sure about that (laughs). I realize it every time I listen to ‘Ok Computer’ by Radiohead: The record inspires me, it makes me come alive. But many people do not find in it what is so obvious to me.”

Do you believe that every human being has the basic principle to let music into their heart, then?

C: “Yes, I’m sure that everyone has a sense for art and beauty. The question is, how much you let this sense evolve [itself?]”

At the moment you are spending your days between promotion and concerts. You’re staying at hotels and you only have limited time with your family. What annoys or bores you the most with this routine?

C: “To be honest: Nothing. We could meet again at this place tomorrow and I would find a way just to do something else. The only thing that annoys me is death.”

What do you think death is?

C: “Something interesting – because we might get answers then. There’s one answer I already know and that is what will happen after my death: There will be a “Best Of” album and a tribute concert in Hyde Park. I think, Sting will sing our biggest hits instead of me then (laughs).”

Part 5 still to come. ;)

• 6 months later...

*BUMP*

ehhm... did anyone else notice that part 5 is still missing? :lol: :lol: geez, looks like I simply forgot about that one, sorry... :blush:

as I have quite some free-time these days I'm gonna translate it later on, hehe... ;) :laugh3: