✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Pledge of Allegiance in the US...yay or nay?

berrywoman

U.S. Attorney General to Fight Ruling on Pledge of Allegiance

By Jason Kane

Religion News Service

Sept. 16 - U.S. Attorney General Alberto Gonzales has promised the Justice Department's vigorous opposition to district court judge's ruling that a reference to God in the Pledge of Allegiance is unconstitutional.

Gonzales said the pledge remains one of many expressions of national and patriotic identity that reference God and said he will fight the (Wednesday) Sept. 14 ruling by Judge Lawrence K. Karlton of the U.S. District Court in Sacramento, Calif."The Supreme Court has affirmed time and again that such official acknowledgments of our nation's religious heritage, foundation and character are constitutional," Gonzales said in the statement.

He said his office "will continue vigorously to defend the ability of American schoolchildren to pledge allegiance to the flag."

Arguing he was bound by a 2002 9th Circuit Court of Appeals ruling, Karlton ruled that "the pledge is an unconstitutional violation of the children's right to be free from a coercive requirement to affirm God."

Both the current and a 2002 case involve Michael Newdow, an atheist whose daughter attends school in the Elk Grove (Calif.) Unified School District.

In the 2002 case, Newdow argued he and his daughter's constitutional rights had been violated by the pledge. The case went all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court, but the court dismissed it on grounds that Newdow did not have proper parental standing. Though Newdow has joint legal custody of his daughter, the child's mother has said both she and the child are Christians and have no objection to the pledge.

In this year's case, Newdow serves as an attorney for three other parents opposing the pledge.

The Bush administration actively opposed Newdow in his last appearance before the high court, filing friend-of-court briefs and appointing former Solicitor General Theodore Olson to argue against him.

Gonzales' support for the constitutionality of the pledge comes at a critical time for the attorney general, whose close ties to Bush make him a leading contender to replace retiring Justice Sandra Day O'Connor on the Supreme Court. The statement will likely appeal to conservatives who have been wary of Gonzales' reluctance to take a stand on the Roe v. Wade decision that legalized abortion in 1973.

http://www.beliefnet.com/story/175/story_17523_1.html

- I have one question.... I have been on this earth for 29 years.. and all of a sudden after 29+ years there is a problem with this??? I don't understand. I do understand the separation of church and state.. but I am still confused.. its printed on out money... no one complains there..

discuss...

my son started preschool just last month and they teach them the pledge minus the "under God" part - which i just think is not the true pledge of allegiance to me. i said it in school for 12 years, and i think i turned out just fine. it is just another incident of political correctness gone awry.

The kid could just not say it. The pledge has always made me kind of disturbed. Something about making little kids stand up and pledge themselves to something they have no comprehention of just freaks me out. So I choose not to say it. It's just a personal thing. I mean, if you don't like the "under God" part then don't say the pledge, or whatever. I don't agree with teachers FORCING students to say it, however. I know people who have gotten kicked out for not standing and saying it. Freedom of speech, Jesus Christ!!!!

There are certainly more important things to worry about in this country

-we are in the middle of a war

-we have Louisiana and Mississippi to rebuild

-more than half the children in this country dont make it to college

-etc...... yall know the rest

why worry about a stupid frase in the pledge----will that help me in any way?

PRIORITIES PEOPLE

I never understood why they made kids say the pledge of allegiance anyways...most of them all say, one nation, under god, invisible anyways...the kids don't know what "indivisible" is or even how to pronounce it...what's the point?

but there are bigger issues...obviously...this one shouldn't take any priority.

When my Mom was a kid,they not only said the Pledge of Alligence to the Flag,but also had School Prayer.Prayer is gone and now people are trying to eliminate the Pledge...what next? To make certain people feel more comfortable?? Its hard to please EVERYONE all the time,but if they (whoever 'they' are) are trying to do so, I can think of much more important things to tackle than these examples.Seems to me some groups are treating the word "God" like the "N Word".....dont dare speak of it cause you may offend someone. :worried2:

What a shame.

When my Mom was a kid,they not only said the Pledge of Alligence to the Flag,but also had School Prayer.Prayer is gone and now people are trying to eliminate the Pledge...what next? To make certain people feel more comfortable?? Its hard to please EVERYONE all the time,but if they (whoever 'they' are) are trying to do so, I can think of much more important things to tackle than these examples.Seems to me some groups are treating the word "God" like the "N Word".....dont dare speak of it cause you may offend someone. :worried2:

What a shame.

N word?Nigger?

It's not about to please everyone.I mean if you say "Hey God is cool" nobody will object, but if you impose God to everyone in PUBLIC schools that ain't very democratic.'Cuz laws should be aplied equally to all citizens.

Mkay?And it's not only about atheists, it's also about wiccans, polytheistcs religions, native american belifs and all points in between. :)

Separation of Church and Government

God should not be in

-pledge

-courts (swearing)

-our money

-our schools in any way

-etc

But there are some more important things to worry about

Having the word God in the pledge aint gonna kill you even if u are an atheist--or a diff. religion

Lets worry about the most important issues right now such as A WAR--Hurricanes--equal rights---and maybe this issue of God when our country is in a better shape :idea2:

again.....

Christianity has been instilled in this country since its conception... its part of the reason the Pilgrims feld to North America... because they wanted to practice their religion is it not??? Our founding fathers founded the country as we know it today... with these beliefs. The word 'GOD' (in my eyes) doesn't nescessarily mean the Christian God.. it just means God.. no matter what God you pray for. I say... if you are American... its your privledge to pledge allegiance... you don't 'have' to do it if you don't want to...... but as an American.. it is your flag....

bah.. I'm babbling.. I have a hangover.. nevermind..

d

again.....

Christianity has been instilled in this country since its conception... its part of the reason the Pilgrims feld to North America... because they wanted to practice their religion is it not??? Our founding fathers founded the country as we know it today... with these beliefs. The word 'GOD' (in my eyes) doesn't nescessarily mean the Christian God.. it just means God.. no matter what God you pray for. I say... if you are American... its your privledge to pledge allegiance... you don't 'have' to do it if you don't want to...... but as an American.. it is your flag....

bah.. I'm babbling.. I have a hangover.. nevermind..

You're right that america was founded first for freedom of religion--but in the kind of society we live in year 2005---i dont think that God should be withing the political arena--it might offend people

but heck, i dont even give a shit about this anyways--like i said--it'll do you no harm if the system stays like that (when it comes to this matter) and it wont do anything if it changes so why worry

its a stupid concern and issue anyways--seeing as we are in more serious problems right now