✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Jonnys Pedal Board

theclient

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, this is an old thread! That's his old old board board. He no longer uses the MXR microamp and only has one DL4 on his board now. His board for the MX tour had 2xHBE Powerscreamers, 1 Ibanez TS-9, ProCo Rat, MXR Phase 90, Boss TU tuner, EHX Micro POG 1 Line 6 DL4 and three Ernie ball volume pedals (1 for vol & 2 used as expression pedals). That's before you get to his Rack full of L6 Echo Pro's, TX2290 and Eventime Reverbs!

Also, the switcher unit he uses is not a ground control, but a custom unit built by Mike Hill, though his tech Matt McGinn does use a ground control to change patches while Jonny's off wandering about.

I think one of those HBE Powerscreamers is actually a different HBE pedal based on the finish and a few blurry photos I've seen where the knob configuration doesn't look right.

Also, I've heard that the custom switchers that Mike Hill Audio services builds are indeed based around the Voodoo labs ground control, just custom mounted in a different chassis. Some of the photos from their website (notably the one he built for Kevin Sheilds with the GCP LCD display clearly visable) seem to bear this out as well.

I think one of those HBE Powerscreamers is actually a different HBE pedal based on the finish and a few blurry photos I've seen where the knob configuration doesn't look right.

Also, I've heard that the custom switchers that Mike Hill Audio services builds are indeed based around the Voodoo labs ground control, just custom mounted in a different chassis. Some of the photos from their website (notably the one he built for Kevin Sheilds with the GCP LCD display clearly visable) seem to bear this out as well.

the hot rod deville 410 has...

"Four 10 inch Fender Model V 1030 Special Design (048832) speakers"

as listed in the instruction manual.

Jonny's not running the stock speakers in his though. I'm not sure what they're loaded with, but Matt has said a few times that Mike Hill completely rewired them and they have aftermarket speakers as well.

Nah I'm pretty sure they are both power screamers, there are variations on that pedal though, some models have a 'fat boost' switch on the side and some don't. They also do come in different finishes, I have two (one in green with fat boost and one in tweed without fat boost). Mike does indeed build switcher units based on a rehoused ground control and I'm pretty sure Jonny's X&Y board was based on this. The Viva and Mylo boards have both been custom builds. I spoke to Mike about it when I was building my board and he told me it's a custom build switcher unit that switches on individual loops - most if not all of the pedals are in their own loop so Jonny can switch them all using the "pandoras box" unit.

With regard to the speakers in the amps, he's using Celestion Vintage 30's, a common upgrade for the HotRod series - indeed some special editions came with V30's as standard. The rewiring was to change the PCB mounted jacks and switches/pots to be ones with flying leads as PCB mounted stuff inevitably breaks with heavy use. I've had the same done to my HotRodDeluxe.

I play in a Coldplay tribute and have spent waaay too long studying Jonny's gear. I've to have an hour or so to chat with him or Matt McGinn though!!!

Here's a pic of my current setup, still needs a few more touches and another ernie ball pedal for expression.

IMG_0817.JPG

Nah I'm pretty sure they are both power screamers, there are variations on that pedal though, some models have a 'fat boost' switch on the side and some don't. They also do come in different finishes, I have two (one in green with fat boost and one in tweed without fat boost). Mike does indeed build switcher units based on a rehoused ground control and I'm pretty sure Jonny's X&Y board was based on this. The Viva and Mylo boards have both been custom builds. I spoke to Mike about it when I was building my board and he told me it's a custom build switcher unit that switches on individual loops - most if not all of the pedals are in their own loop so Jonny can switch them all using the "pandoras box" unit.

With regard to the speakers in the amps, he's using Celestion Vintage 30's, a common upgrade for the HotRod series - indeed some special editions came with V30's as standard. The rewiring was to change the PCB mounted jacks and switches/pots to be ones with flying leads as PCB mounted stuff inevitably breaks with heavy use. I've had the same done to my HotRodDeluxe.

I play in a Coldplay tribute and have spent waaay too long studying Jonny's gear. I've to have an hour or so to chat with him or Matt McGinn though!!!

Here's a pic of my current setup, still needs a few more touches and another ernie ball pedal for expression.

IMG_0817.JPG

Yeah, the more I looked at it, I did realize it was probably a powerscreamer. I originally thought it was either a Full Metal Jacket or a Psilocybe but the knobs aren't right for either of those. My bad. :\

Do you know what the brown/reddish pedal he's got on the far left end of the chain in his MX era board? It looks like it could be a Boss pedal of some sort, but I can't make it out from the photos and every written list I've seen seems to start right after it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...