🌙 COLDPLAY ANNOUNCE MOON MUSIC OUT OCTOBER 4TH 🎵

Golf - Latest: US PGA Championship, Oak Hill Country Club, Rochester, New York (8-11 August)

Sternly

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

_63215595_lawrie_getty.jpg

Ryder Cup 2012: Paul Lawrie savours dramatic victory

Scotland's Paul Lawrie described helping Europe to a dramatic Ryder Cup victory as "awesome".

The Scot won his singles match against Brandt Snedeker 5&3 on an incredible day at Medinah. "It feels pretty awesome, to be fair," Lawrie told BBC Scotland. "I'm proud of every person in the team and pretty proud of myself to go out and perform like that under the utmost pressure against a tough crowd."

The United States required only four-and-a-half points from the 12 on offer, but the Europeans secured eight and a half to clinch a historic 14½-13½ win.

Victory against Snedeker in the singles left Lawrie with his first win after two losses in Medinah in the foursomes and fourballs.

And Lawrie said some harsh words from European captain Jose Maria Olazabal following a poor display on the first day's play had a galvanising effect. "Jose made sure that every person in that room knew that he believed, not only that we could tie, but we could win," said Lawrie. "When someone like Jose, with the record he had as a player in the Ryder Cup with Seve, tells you he believes in you, then it's pretty hard to wake up and not feel pretty good about yourself. Ian Poulter was huge - five birdies in a row to finish on Saturday. You don't realise how good that is when the crowd is tough. Every single person wanted to play early and that was huge. Everyone wanted to be out there putting their neck on the line and get some points back. (The feeling was) if you're going to win this, win it early. If you lose two or three of the first five games then you're dead; there's no way you can come back from that. We had to win the first four or five. To be put out at number five, I got a huge lift from that there's no question. I played lovely and was six under par against a guy who won the Fed Ex last week. I'm proud of every person in the team and pretty proud of myself to go out and perform like that under the utmost pressure against a tough crowd."

Lawrie said Olazabal had told the European players on Friday night, in no uncertain terms, that they had to raise their game. He was upset; he kind of let us know that he didn't think we were doing ourselves justice and Friday night was a big meeting. For him to be upset with us, he wasn't happy with what was happening and felt we needed to make more birdies and give it more as a team. He's just got so much passion as a person and a Spaniard. With what this tournament means to him, he was disappointed to be behind on Friday night and he let that be known."

Lawrie said there was added poignancy to the Ryder Cup victory, as the anniversary approaches of the death of his friend and former coach Adam Hunter.

"I think of Adam every day to be fair, not just this week," he added. "But he would've been proud of what I achieved, there's no question about that. To be six under par against a player of that quality. He would've loved it, absolutely loved it and I'm sure he's looking down pretty proud tonight."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/golf/19784287

What the hell's going on with Tiger Woods? Everytime I watch him he's so unpredictable.

article-2211065-154929EF000005DC-674_468x385.jpg

No roar: Tiger Woods was left to rue a wasteful day by Team USA

Ryder Cup: 'It was pointless to finish' says Tiger Woods after losing final hole to gift Europe outright victory

Tiger Woods claimed neither he nor the United States team were interested salvaging a tie from the 39th Ryder Cup at Medinah.

After Europe produced a stunning fightback to reach the 14 points they required to retain the cup near Chicago, Woods knew heading to the 18th tee he could no longer affect the trophy's destiny. But by holding on to his one-hole lead in the final match, the former world number one could at least have ensured the scoreline finished 14-14.

He had the opportunity to do that but after missing a putt to beat Francesco Molinari, he then conceded the hole to the Italian and handed Europe an outright 14.5-13.5 win. Woods said: "It was already over. We came here as a team - this is a team event. And the cup was already been retained by Europe, so it was already over. You come here as a team and you win or lose as a team, and it's pointless to even finish. So 18 was just, hey, get this over with. Congratulations to the European team. They played fantastic and they deserve the cup."

That incident rounded off a dismal three days for Woods in which he failed to win a single match. The 36-year-old 14-time major winner lost three times in partnership with Steve Stricker on Friday and Saturday and was even stood down for a match for the first time in his career.

Captain Davis Love faced further questions over his decision to rest Phil Mickelson and Keegan Bradley, after the pair enjoyed three wins together, for the Saturday afternoon fourballs. But over the course of the three days, Love felt he had done everything he could to secure victory - after all, his side had led 10-6 heading into the singles.

Love said: "I wouldn't have done anything different, they played great. They did everything we asked them to do, and I can honestly say that I've been a part of a lot of teams and I've never seen a team of golfers like this, and I'm proud of them. It was certainly a difficult loss. I think any Ryder Cup loss is difficult. There are some guys on this team that have lost before and it's never fun any way it happens. This was certainly not what we expected. They got beat by some holed putts, chip-ins, some incredible shots, and some matches got flipped at the end on long putts and great saves by the other team. I have to congratulate Europe on the way they played, they played great."

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/golf/ryder-cup-it-was-pointless-to-finish-says-tiger-woods-after-losing-final-hole-to-gift-europe-outright-victory-8192021.html

• 2 weeks later...

This is the thing, I don't really understand the support for 'Europe'. I know there's some British and Irish players on there but it's like supporting 'Rest of the World' when they play Europe in those charity matches.

GO CONTINENT

• 3 months later...

Ryder Cup 2014: Tom Watson named US captain

_64745713_64745712.jpg

Ryder Cup 2014: Tom Watson named US captain

Tom Watson will become the oldest captain in Ryder Cup history after being named as United States skipper for the 2014 event at Gleneagles.

The 63-year-old succeeds Davis Love III following Europe's record-breaking comeback victory in October.

"I was waiting for about 20 years to get the call," he told NBC. "It is a great honour to do it again."

Eight-time major champion Watson was the last US captain to record an away win, with a 1993 victory at the Belfry.

David Toms and Larry Nelson were also tipped to take the job for the event which runs from 26-28 September 2014.

The decision, news of which was broken on NBC's morning Today Show ahead of a formal news conference near the top of New York's Empire State Building, represents a move away from the Professional Golfers' Association of America's policy of appointing major-winning players in their mid-to-late 40s as skipper for the biennial competition.

At 65 when play begins in Scotland, Watson will overtake John Henry Taylor, who was 62 when he performed the role for Great Britain in 1933. He will also be eight years older than previous American record holder Sam Snead, who was in charge as the two sides played out a draw in 1969.

The choice was backed by 14-time major winner Tiger Woods - a player Watson had previously criticised for his behaviour both on and off the golf course.

"I'd like to congratulate Tom Watson on his selection as Ryder Cup captain," the former world number one said.

"I think he's a really good choice. Tom knows what it takes to win, and that's our ultimate goal. I hope I have the privilege of joining him on the 2014 United States team."

Watson admits he is desperate for Woods to be on his side at Gleneagles.

He told BBC Sport: "First of all, I hope he [Woods] is on the team.

"I don't think there is a tougher competitor maybe in the history of the game than Tiger. He is someone who anyone would want on his team."

A more cautionary tone about Watson's prospects was voiced by Europe's 2010 Ryder Cup winning captain Colin Montgomerie.

"What happens if he fails?" he said. "He has to win now. If he doesn't succeed at Gleneagles what's going to happen in 2016?

"There is a lot of pressure on Tom Watson, but he can handle that - I'm sure he can. I personally wish him well.

"It will be a task for anybody to take on Tom Watson because he is very well respected, very well liked and loved here in Scotland."

US PGA winner Toms, 45, had been considered favourite before speculation grew that four-time Ryder Cup competitor Watson would return to the post after he said at last week's Australian Open that it would be "a great honour" to accept the challenge.

Only Paul Azinger in 2008 has led the US to success in the previous six tournaments, in a spell which has also seen Love, Corey Pavin, Tom Lehman, Hal Sutton and Curtis Strange fall short.

Watson, who is the first repeat captain for the US since Jack Nicklaus in 1987, was a leading figure in world golf for a decade from the mid-1970s, a period in which he won four out of his five Open titles on Scottish soil.

The Kansas City native's enduring quality was showcased as recently as 2009 when he lost a play-off for the Open at Turnberry at the age of 59.

Watson said he hoped his vast experience would ensure there would be no repeat of the collapse which saw the US throw away a four-point lead coming into the final day in Chicago.

"I've lived for that pressure, lived underneath that pressure all of my career and I just hope I can set the table for these players to go out," he said.

"I'm a stage manager, I set the stage for them and they go out and perform their act and in two years I hope that we can get it done."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/golf/20713470

Ryder Cup: Paul McGinley handed Europe captaincy

_65309547_159526226.jpg

Ryder Cup: Paul McGinley handed Europe captaincy

Irishman Paul McGinley has been named as Europe's captain for the 2014 Ryder Cup at Gleneagles.

The 46-year-old played in three Ryder Cups, was vice-captain in 2010 and 2012 and holed the winning putt in 2002. McGinley was preferred to Ryder Cup legend Colin Montgomerie, who captained a victorious European team in 2010 and wanted to fulfil the role again.

"This is a position I'm really thrilled to be in," said the Dubliner, Ireland's first captain. "It's also a very humbling experience and I can't wait to get into the role of captain and to working with the players."

World number one Rory McIlroy and Ryder Cup stalwarts Luke Donald and Justin Rose all publicly backed McGinley for the captaincy of the biennial event against the United States. And McIlroy predictably welcomed the appointment, writing on Twitter: "Common sense prevailed in the end.... Couldn't be happier for him... Roll on Gleneagles."

Northern Ireland's Darren Clarke, the 2011 Open champion, was originally the favourite but formally requested not be considered. Scotland's Paul Lawrie, Open champion in 1999, and Spain's Miguel Angel Jimenez were also considered. The decision was made by the European Tour's tournament committee, led by chairman Thomas Bjorn, after a meeting in Abu Dhabi.

Scotsman Montgomerie, who played in eight Ryder Cups, was seen by some as better able to oppose American choice, eight-time major champion Tom Watson. But in recent times Europe have taken the view that the Ryder Cup captain should serve for one match only, with Bernard Gallacher ('91, '93 and '95) the last man to lead the side more than once.

A winner of four European Tour titles, McGinley's best campaign was in 2005 when he finished runner-up three times before lifting the season-ending Volvo Masters crown. And while the Dubliner may not have had as much individual success as eight-time European number one Montgomerie, many felt he did enough as a vice-captain (in 2010 and 2012) and as Britain and Ireland's two-time winning Seve Trophy captain to suggest he has the ability to lead Europe.

"It's amazing how much you can learn when you listen and don't talk," said McGinley, referring to the media scrutiny surrounding the decision. "I knew I had the support of players and felt the more I said the more my chances would lessen."

In 2009 McGinley, Ireland's first captain in the event, cajoled a supposedly weaker GB and Ireland team to a 16½-11½ victory over a continental Europe side led by Bjorn. Opposite number Watson tweeted: "Congrats to Paul McGinley on your R/C Captaincy. Looking forward to our future competition. You're a class act."

And McGinley said he was relishing taking on "one of my great heroes". "Tom Watson is not only a wonderful person abut a great ambassador for the game of golf," said McGinley. "I've never had an opportunity to go up against him in a playing sense. To go up against him in a captaincy sense will be a real thrill for me."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/golf/21034093

• 1 month later...

_65993797_snowgolfgetty.jpg

WGC Match Play: Snow in Arizona causes play to be suspended

Play on the first day of the WGC Match Play Championship was abandoned when heavy snowfall fell at desert state Arizona's Dove Mountain course.

None of Wednesday's matches were completed and 11 games did not tee off by the time play was suspended.

Englishman Ian Poulter said on Twitter: "What's the problem? Let's play. The caddies have just had a snowball fight. Never seen anything like it."

World number one Rory McIlroy said: "The weather is officially ridiculous."

Poulter, who won the tournament in 2010, was three up against Stephen Gallacher and Lee Westwood was two up against Rafael Cabrera Bello when a snow storm caused suspension of play after just four hours.

Almost two inches of snow covered the course, practice putting green and driving range at the Ritz-Carlton Golf Club in Tuscon.

Frost is forecast for each remaining morning, although the weather is predicted to improve. Officials said the first round uld resume, weather-permitting, from 08:30 local (15:30 GMT) on Thursday with the second round scheduled to start from about noon.

McIlroy, who along with Tiger Woods and Luke Donald had not teed off yet, added: "This is unbelievable. Everyone knows it snowed here a couple of years ago but it was nothing like this.

"There are three or four inches on the putting green - It's ridiculous."

Jason Day, who was six up against Zach Johnson after 10 holes, said: "I have never actually played golf to the point where we have stopped for snow, which is kind of crazy.

"It is a little crazy for it to snow in the desert, as well. But that's just how it is. Mother Nature can just do whatever she wants. I was playing out there with four layers on.

"You could see from a distance that it was coming in. When those big snowflakes started to fall, there was no chance."

Although the tournament takes place in the desert, cooler weather at high altitude is not uncommon, and this is the second time in three years that wintry weather had forced a delay in play at Dove Mountain.

In 2011, almost an inch of snow covered the course with Donald going on to take victory once the snow had thawed out.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/golf/21523833

• 1 month later...

Tiger Woods back as world number one after Bay Hill win

_66600106_66600105.jpg

Tiger Woods back as world number one after Bay Hill win

Tiger Woods returned to the top of the world rankings for the first time since October 2010 after winning the Arnold Palmer Invitational by two strokes.

The 37-year-old had played two holes of his final round when a torrential storm ended proceedings in Florida on Sunday.

Resuming with a three-stroke lead he added four more birdies and dropped three shots in a 70 for a 13-under-par total, his third PGA victory of 2013.

England's world number five Justin Rose also carded a 70 to finish second.

It was a sixth title in his last 20 starts on the PGA Tour for Woods, his 77th in total and the eighth time he has won the Bay Hill tournament.

Rickie Fowler moved to within two shots of Woods with four holes remaining but dropped four strokes in the next two holes, including a triple-bogey eight at the 16th, when he put two shots into the water.

Woods, who leaked several tee shots to the right, was in the large fairway bunker at the 16th, from where he found the water on Friday, but struck a majestic escape into the heart of the green and calmly two-putted for a birdie.

Rose, who was at the top of the leaderboard on the first two rounds before dropping back with a 72 on Saturday resumed four shots adrift with 16 holes of his final round remaining.

He dropped a shot at his first hole of the day and at the third, but recorded four birdies, ensuring sole possession of second with an assured up and down from the greenside bunker at the par-three 17th.

"I play well here, it's as simple as it gets," said Woods, number one for the 11th time. "I'm very pleased with the way I'm playing."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/golf/21930251

• 3 weeks later...

_66961565_garcia.jpg

Masters 2013: Sergio Garcia and Marc Leishman share lead

Masters - first-round leaderboard (US unless stated)

-6: M Leishman (Aus), S Garcia (Spa)-5: D Johnson-4: D Lynn (Eng), R Fowler, G Fernandez-Castano (Spa), T Immelman (SA), F Couples, M Kuchar-3: J Furyk, Z Johnson, A Scott (Aus)Selected others: -2: J Rose (Eng), L Westwood (Eng), T Woods-1: P MickelsonLevel: R McIlroy (NI)+1: S Lyle (Sco), G Tianlang (Chn), G McDowell (NI)+3: B Watson+4: I Poulter (Eng)

Australian Marc Leishman and Spain's Sergio Garcia set the pace in the opening round of the 77th Masters at Augusta.

The pair both shot 66 for a one-stroke lead over American Dustin Johnson and two ahead of a group including English debutant David Lynn and past champions Fred Couples and Trevor Immelman.

Tiger Woods, chasing a fifth Green Jacket, carded a two-under 70, while Rory McIlroy took 72.

Alongside Woods were English duo Justin Rose and Lee Westwood with three-time champion Phil Mickelson one further adrift.

Fourteen-year-old Chinese amateur Guan Tianlang, the youngest player ever to compete at the Masters, carded 73 thanks to a birdie at the last hole.

Leishman, 29, dropped a shot at the first but came home in 31 to eclipse long-time leader Lynn on an overcast but mainly dry day after the threatened thunderstorms held off.

The world number 108 is playing in only his second Masters after missing the cut in 2010.

"The first time I was here I was like a bit of a deer in headlights, I guess," said Leishman. "I found myself looking around a little bit too much and not concentrating on getting the ball in the hole, which is what you need to do.

"To be here is awesome and to be sitting here is pretty cool. But, you know, it's only Thursday afternoon, so a lot of golf to play. But I feel good about my game."

Twelve months ago, Garcia said he was "not good enough" to win a major after a third-round 75 at Augusta.

But the 33-year-old, who has three times finished second in majors, picked up six birdies to underline the talent that many saw as a future multiple champion.

"It's obviously not my most favourite place, but we try to enjoy it as much as we can each time we come here," said Garcia, the world number 16.

"Sometimes it comes out better than others, but today it was one of those good days. And you know, let's enjoy it while it lasts."

Lynn, 39, revealed a text message exchange from former European Ryder Cup player David Gilford helped him on his first visit to Augusta, only his third appearance in a major championship.

"He said, 'Don't be too intimidated by the greens. There are birdies out there. Try and be aggressive when you can be.' So I had that in my mind,'" said world number 53 Lynn, who earned his spot by finishing second behind McIlroy at last year's US PGA Championship.

Against Leishman and Lynn is the statistic that only one first-round leader since 1985 - Immelman in 2008 - has gone on to win the Masters.

Woods, the 14-time major champion, mixed three birdies with a single bogey at the 14th and deemed himself pleased with "a solid day" as he seeks a first major since 2008.

McIlroy, who Woods recently usurped as world number one, was two under through the first nine but had four bogeys to two birdies coming home.

"It could have been better," said the 23-year-old, who squandered a four-shot lead going into the final day in 2011.

"I felt like I played well and gave myself plenty of opportunities. I just made some silly mistakes - a couple of three-putts on the back nine. I made enough birdies but I just need to cut those mistakes out and I'll be fine."

On the plus side for the Northern Ireland star, who shot a pair of 77s in the last two rounds to finish tied 40th last year, the record comeback by a champion after the first round is seven shots, achieved by Woods in 2005 and Nick Faldo in 1990.

Defending champion Bubba Watson, however, might have blown his chance of becoming the first player since Tiger Woods to win back-to-back Masters after a 75 left him nine shots back.

Ian Poulter 's hopes of beating last year's seventh-placed finish also took a tumble after he bogeyed the last two holes in a round of 76.

The 53-year-old Couples, the 1992 champion who was also sixth in 2010, was joined at four under by fellow Americans Rickie Fowler and Matt Kuchar and Spain's Gonzalo Fernandez-Castano.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/golf/22115341

_66982891_jasonday.jpg

Masters 2013: Tiger Woods stays in hunt as Jason Day leads

Masters - second-round leaderboard (US unless stated)

-6: J Day (Aus)-5: F Couples, M Leishman (Aus)-4: A Cabrera (Arg), J Furyk, B Snedeker, -3: A Scott (Aus), J Dufner, KJ Choi (Kor), D Lynn (Eng), L Westwood (Eng), J Rose (Eng), T WoodsSelected: -2: B Langer (Ger), S Garcia (Spa), R McIlroy (NI)-1: L Donald (Eng)+1: S Lyle (Sco), E Els (SA)+3: P Mickelson+4: B Watson (US) G Tianlang (Chn)+5 (Missed Cut): M Laird (Sco), G McDowell (NI)+6 : L Oosthuizen (SA)+9: P Harrington (Ire)

Australian Jason Day hit the front late on to take control on a dramatic second day at the Masters that saw Tiger Woods squander a share of the lead and teenager Guan Tianlang penalised for slow play.

Day, the joint runner-up in 2011, shot 68 to finish six under, one clear of 53-year-old Fred Couples and Australian Marc Leishman at Augusta.

Woods, chasing a fifth Green Jacket and first since 2005, had a share of the lead with four holes to play but endured a sloppy finish for a 71 to end three under.

But the main talking point was the one-shot penalty handed to 14-year-old Chinese amateur Guan.

The Masters debutant ended with a 75 for four over and became the youngest ever player to make a cut in a major, but was in danger of missing out after being penalised for twice exceeding the 40-second time limit over shots.

"I respect the decision," he said. "This still is a wonderful experience. I enjoyed this week so far and think I did a pretty good job."

Bubba Watson looked like becoming the ninth defending champion to miss the cut at six over after 11 but he rallied to four over with a 73 and, like Guan, had to sweat on Day not birdieing 17 or 18, which would have moved the cut to three over.

However, last year's runner-up Louis Oosthuizen, reigning US Open champion Webb Simpson, 2010 US Open winner Graeme McDowell, three-time major champion Padraig Harrington, England's Ian Poulter and Scotland's Martin Laird all missed out.

Two shots behind Day were 43-year-old Argentine Angel Cabrera, the 2009 champion, who had four birdies in the last five holes for a 69, and Americans Jim Furyk (71) and Brandt Snedeker (70).

Alongside Woods were English trio Lee Westwood (71), Justin Rose (71) and David Lynn (73), with American Jason Dufner (69), Australia's 2011 co-runner-up Adam Scott (72) and South Korea's KJ Choi (71).

Rory McIlroy improved on his opening round by two shots with a 70 to edge to two under, but three-time champion Phil Mickelson struggled to a 76 for three over.

The day began overcast and blustery, with sharp showers mid-morning, but Day, playing in the last group in evening sunshine, birdied the short 16th to take the lead. He parred his way home to set the cut at four over as he bids to make Masters history for his country.

"Obviously there's a lot of pressure on my shoulders, being from Australia and no Australian has ever won the event," he said. "They have been very, very close, but I've just got to try to get that out of my mind and just plug away.

"It's all how you look at it. If you look at it as pressure, you're going to worry about it more."

Couples, the 1992 champion, birdied the last for a 71 to end alongside joint first-round leader Leishman, 29, who maintained his composure with a one-over 73 in only his second Masters after missing the cut in 2010.

Despite his advancing years Couples has become a regular fixture near the top of the Masters leaderboard and has finished sixth, 15th and 12th over the past three years.

"I did tee off Thursday with the idea of playing well," said Couples, who led at halfway with Dufner last year but shot 75, 72 at the weekend.

"I'm surprised, but I'm not going to freak out over it."

Woods, who won the last of his 14 major titles in 2008, picked up three strokes on the front nine and took a share of the lead when Leishman bogeyed the 14th to join him and Couples on five under. Day soon joined the group but Woods missed a chance to forge ahead when he laid up on the par-five 13th before missing his 10ft birdie putt.

The 37-year-old world number one had to lay up again on the long 15th after finding trouble off the tee, but his third shot hit the flag stick and bounced back into the water.

Woods went back to his original spot and conjured a deft pitch to four feet to salvage a bogey. He then found the left greenside bunker on 16 and got up-and-down but he dropped another shot on 18 to fall back.

"I was pretty annoyed," said Woods in reference to his third shot at 15. "It looked like I was making birdie and then I had to struggle not to drop two shots.

"It was a good six but I played really well today and the round should have been in the 60s."

The 23-year-old McIlroy bogeyed the first and third but an eagle at the eighth took him to the turn in 36 and he made three birdies and a bogey coming home.

"Anything under par today was going to be a good score and I stayed patient out there when I needed to and it was a good day," said the world number two.

"The improvement in the putting from last night to today has been a big thing."

Sergio Garcia , who shared the first-round lead, fell back after a 76 dropped him to two under. In the same group was 55-year-old Bernhard Langer , who won the Masters in 1985 and 1993 but hasn't made the cut since 2005.

England's Luke Donald carded a level-par 72 to end one under in a group that included American Dustin Johnson, who led on his own at seven under after 13 but dropped six shots in his next five holes, including two double bogeys.

Scotland's Sandy Lyle, 25 years after winning the Green Jacket, also ended one under after rounds of 73 and 72.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/golf/22132360