🌙 COLDPLAY ANNOUNCE MOON MUSIC OUT OCTOBER 4TH 🎵

The Offical Top Gear Thread

::Hayley::

Guest howyousawtheworld

Never knew there was an official TOP GEAR thread! Great! Be there - Sunday 8pm!

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THE STIG IS REVEALED

The Stig 'preparing to reveal identity'

Sunday, June 21 2009, 09:55 BST

By Lara Martin, Entertainment Reporter

160x120_top_gear_the_stig.jpg

Jeremy Clarkson has claimed that his Top Gear co-star The Stig will finally be unmasked in tonight's episode.

The identity of the test driver, who wears a white racing suit and white crash helmet, has remained a mystery for years, prompting several theories about who is really under the mask.

Writing in The Sun, host Clarkson said: "Stig barges into the studio and in an atmosphere that you could cut with a knife removes his helmet.

"Hardened, emotionless camera crews said the hair on the back of their neck prickled. As a television moment, it's up there with Neil Armstrong walking on the... corpse of J.R. Ewing."

Reports had previously suggested that The Stig was actually portrayed by four different individuals, while others have claimed that he is a Norwegian or French racing driver.

Last year, the query 'Who is The Stig?' was revealed to be one of the most frequently searched questions on the internet.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/a161171/the-stig-preparing-to-reveal-identity.html

Guest howyousawtheworld
THE STIG IS REVEALED

The Stig 'preparing to reveal identity'

Sunday, June 21 2009, 09:55 BST

By Lara Martin, Entertainment Reporter

160x120_top_gear_the_stig.jpg

Jeremy Clarkson has claimed that his Top Gear co-star The Stig will finally be unmasked in tonight's episode.

The identity of the test driver, who wears a white racing suit and white crash helmet, has remained a mystery for years, prompting several theories about who is really under the mask.

Writing in The Sun, host Clarkson said: "Stig barges into the studio and in an atmosphere that you could cut with a knife removes his helmet.

"Hardened, emotionless camera crews said the hair on the back of their neck prickled. As a television moment, it's up there with Neil Armstrong walking on the... corpse of J.R. Ewing."

Reports had previously suggested that The Stig was actually portrayed by four different individuals, while others have claimed that he is a Norwegian or French racing driver.

Last year, the query 'Who is The Stig?' was revealed to be one of the most frequently searched questions on the internet.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/a161171/the-stig-preparing-to-reveal-identity.html

Some wild rumours have said that it's Michael Schumacher. I doubt it though. He'll take of his helmet and he will have no head or his face will be blurred. There's a catch to this. Plus it's too good to be true if it was Schumi.

Guest howyousawtheworld
A lot of racers have played the role of the Stig.

Most likely yes although Ben Collins is the man one. The most high profile racing driver who has raced as the stig is thought to have been Heikki Kovaleinen when he lapped the Top Gear circuit in the 2004 Renault F1 car.

A great start to the series. The lap at the end was hilarious!

The Schumacher touch was really good. Since he was there to drive the Ferrari around because he's the only one they trust with it, they may as well used him to be the Stig!

So glad it's back, for the next 7 weeks at least. (Providing there's no snooker!)

Guest howyousawtheworld
A great start to the series. The lap at the end was hilarious!

The Schumacher touch was really good. Since he was there to drive the Ferrari around because he's the only one they trust with it, they may as well used him to be the Stig!

So glad it's back, for the next 7 weeks at least. (Providing there's no snooker!)

I told ya it was him! Great to see Schumi on Top Gear finally!

Guest howyousawtheworld

Michael Schumacher Revealed As The Stig!

Okay we all know he isn't the REAL Stig but still, it made for a brilliant TV moment!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQtSlnatbH0]YouTube - The Stig Is Revealed As Michael Schumacher On Top Gear From JK_Pro On PS3[/ame]

• 1 month later...

Firstly the joke with the pie and key was pretty good on tonight's show

And that ending of the show was a bit strange, it seemed to suggest that it was the last episode not just of the series but for forever.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blTjznje9jY]YouTube - Top Gear Aston Martin V12[/ame]

Jeremy Clarkson in hot water again after sparking complaints over Polish World War II joke

By Liz Thomas

Last updated at 5:41 PM on 04th August 2009

article-1204253-0351B5CA000005DC-299_233x408.jpg Under fire: Jeremy Clarkson has offended some German and Polish people with an advert intended as a joke

Scores of viewers have complained after Jeremy Clarkson made a joke on Top Gear about the German invasion of Poland that triggered World War II.

The controversial presenter filmed a spoof advert for the Volkswagen Scirocco TDI, broadcast on Sunday night’s show, which was watched by 6.7million viewers.

The clip showed people in Warsaw panicking and rushing to board trains and buses as a mass exodus gripped the city.

It ended with the tag line: ‘Volkswagen Scirocco TDI. Berlin to Warsaw in one tank.’

The reference to Adolf Hitler’s invasion of Poland angered some viewers who complained to the BBC, media regulator Ofcom and via online message boards.

The clip has also been posted on video sharing website YouTube, prompting a furious debate about whether it was disrespectful or simply a harmless joke.

Some accused Clarkson of being xenophobic with one angry viewer accusing him of supporting the far right. Others viewed the advert as a bit of fun.

One blogger wrote: ‘The video was made as a joke and it was funny. Success. Some people are simply devoid of a sense of humour. God help the rest of us’

Another said: ‘In an age when we have to run scared of legally imposed Political Correctness - Jezzer says it for us. First time I've laughed at or even paid attention to an advert in years.'

article-1204253-05F302A8000005DC-2_468x286.jpg The mock advert featured Polish people running away...

article-1204253-05F30299000005DC-86_468x286.jpg ... before revealing the 'joke' that the Volkswagen Scirocco could drive from the German to Polish capital on just one tank of fuel, playing on the claim that Hitler invaded easily in World War II

The 49 year-old has made his name for his forthright, outspoken views and has a track record for causing offence. And It is not the first time he has made a dig at the Germans.

In 2005, he gave a Nazi salute on Top Gear while discussing a new version of the German-made Mini.

After saying that the Mini’s indicators should go up and down, and demonstrating with the salute, he went on to joke that the car might have a GPS system 'that only goes to Poland'.

article-1204253-05F30292000005DC-170_468x286.jpg Tasteless? Jeremy Clarkson and James May introduce the advert

A spokeswoman for the BBC Two show said it had only received a handful of complaints but Ofcom figures are understood to be higher when they are released tomorrow in a weekly round-up.

Clarkson made headlines again last month after telling a live Top Gear audience off-air that Gordon Brown was a “c***”.

He was given a dressing down by BBC bosses over his comment but the star insisted that because filming had not started he had no reason to retract the statement.

Earlier in the year he was forced to apologise after calling the Prime Minister a “one-eyed Scottish idiot”.

article-1204253-01D96D3500000578-446_468x424.jpg The advert appeared on the finale of Top Gear, presented by Richard Hammond, Jeremy Clarkson and James May, and sparked complaints to the BBC and Ofcom

Last year, more than 500 people complained after he made a remark suggesting that all lorry drivers murder prostitutes.

Sunday’s episode was the last in current series on BBC2. Clarkson had sparked fears that the show was being axed when he said ‘This feels like an ending’ during the series finale.

The corporation has now confirmed that the hugely popular show will return in November.

He said: 'I can assure everyone I'll be back in November doing Top Gear. We're filming the next series and already have several things in the can.'

Clarkson added he will keep making the hit BBC car show as long as people watch, saying: 'I couldn't think of anything I'd want to do more.'

"A spokeswoman for the BBC Two show said it had only received a handful of complaints"

My bet they received 2 complaints from people who watch the show, but thousand more BNP-Lite, sorry daily snail mail, readers who love complaining about Clarkson and Co.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest howyousawtheworld

And that ending of the show was a bit strange, it seemed to suggest that it was the last episode not just of the series but for forever.

YouTube - Top Gear Aston Martin V12

What he was rather suggesting was that because of the world being hell bent on turning everything green, economic problems governments are slowly killing the car. Rather than such beautiful cars like the AM mentioned, we'll be subjected to horrific electric, chip oil run cars. Just look at f1. That's slowed down over the past few years for similar reasons. And I thought it was meant to be the sport which brought about new technology and was prepared to go 100mph faster, not 50 mph slower.

Guest howyousawtheworld

YouTube - Top Gear Aston Martin V12

What he was rather suggesting was that because of the world being hell bent on turning everything green, economic problems governments are slowly killing the car. Rather than such beautiful cars like the AM mentioned, we'll be subjected to horrific electric, chip oil run cars. Just look at f1. That's slowed down over the past few years for similar reasons. And I thought it was meant to be the sport which brought about new technology and was prepared to go 100mph faster, not 50 mph slower. It was prepared to push the boundary out and reach the limits to what humans could achieve. Not any more.

• 2 weeks later...

What prompted comedian's tirade against old schoolmate Richard Hammond?

By James Tapper

Last updated at 2:20 AM on 30th August 2009

Comedian Stewart Lee has launched an extraordinary attack on Top Gear presenter Richard Hammond, saying he wishes he had been ‘decapitated’ in the high-speed crash that nearly cost him his life.

The 41-year-old comedian, star of BBC2’s critically acclaimed Stewart Lee’s Comedy Vehicle, accuses Hammond and his Top Gear colleagues of being ‘bullies’ and jokes about the car crash that left Hammond suffering brain damage.

Lee was at the same school as Hammond – he was two years ahead of the presenter – though the source of the animosity remains unclear.

article-1209921-03CD4BC8000005DC-463_468x286.jpg Attack: Comedian Stewart Lee has berated Top Gear presenter Richard Hammond

Yesterday, neither of the BBC men were prepared to discuss their days at Solihull School, a £9,400-a-year public school in Birmingham, amid speculation that their shared school experience may have prompted Lee’s diatribe.

Hammond, 39, nicknamed ‘The Hamster’ by fans, suffered brain injuries three years ago while driving a jet-propelled Vampire dragster that flipped and crashed at about 280mph.

article-1209921-05FD692F000005DC-669_233x387.jpg Richard Hammond suffered brain injuries three years ago

He made a remarkable recovery after the crash, and has gone on to present other TV programmes, including BBC1’s Total Wipeout gameshow, and Brainiac on Sky1.

Lee spends 20 minutes telling audiences about his dislike of Hammond in his show If You Prefer A Milder Comedian, Please Ask For One, at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival, and he incorporates their schooldays into his routine.

During one show last week, Lee said: ‘I wish he had died in that crash and that he had been decapitated and that his head had rolled off in front of his wife and that a jagged piece of metal debris from the car had got stuck in his eye and blinded him.

‘And then his head had rolled on a few more yards into a pool of boiling oil and that his head had retained just enough neural capacity for him to be able to think “ooh, this is bit hot" before the whole thing exploded into tiny pieces.’

Later in the routine, he said: ‘I wish Richard Hammond HAD died and I wish he had been decapitated. Of course, it’s a joke. But coincidentally it’s also what I believe.’

Lee has made no secret of his dislike for Top Gear in episodes of his BBC2 show, which is watched by one million viewers.

He has characterised Hammond and his colleagues, Jeremy Clarkson and James May, as ‘bullies’.

An audience member in Edinburgh said: ‘It was very funny and it is his stock-in-trade, complaining about his bete noires.

'But I don’t imagine that Hammond would be happy to hear it. He told a joke which he said was made-up, about how he had saved Hammond from some school bullies, but you couldn’t help wondering if there was something more to it.’

Neither Lee nor Hammond was prepared to speak about their time at Solihull School.

Fellow students recalled how Lee was a star pupil, with a particular aptitude for English.

article-1209921-0619A6720000044D-8_468x286.jpg Hammond almost died when he crashed at 280mph in 2006

His headmaster, Philip Griffiths, said: ‘He was a very able English scholar and had a remarkable way with words. He was involved in drama, arts and literature and he was chairman of the sixth-form group which we had at that time.’

Hammond’s progress at the school was less remarkable, although he left the school early after his family moved to Ripon, North Yorkshire, where he attended Ripon Grammar.

Last night, Hammond did not want to comment on Lee’s comedy routine, although he is believed to view Lee’s jokes as being ‘in bad taste’.

Lee was embroiled in controversy four years ago, as co-writer of the musical Jerry Springer: The Opera, which led to protests by religious pressure group Christian Voice.

Lee said before his Edinburgh show on Friday night: ‘I don’t want to talk about it. They do jokes on Top Gear don’t they? Treat it as a joke.’

His spokeswoman said: ‘I don’t think they knew each other at school.’

Jeremy Clarkson: Why it would be a 'disaster' to have a woman presenting Top Gear

By Liz Thomas

Last updated at 6:18 PM on 30th August 2009

article-0-027BE82100000578-172_233x383.jpg Disastrous: Jeremy Clarkson is not keen on the idea of a female Top Gear presenter

Controversial Top Gear host Jeremy Clarkson admits he thinks it would be a 'disaster' for a woman to join the show.

He confessed that he would not want a female host as part of the line-up because it would spoil the boys club dynamic.

Clarkson said: 'When we did the original screentests and some BBC people came down and insisting we had to have a girl. Honestly I didn't give a damn at the time I just wanted the best presenter.

'Now though, having seen how we work, I think a girl would be a disaster. If a girl came in and we started taking the piss out of her it may look like bullying.'

The 49 year-old also branded many of the people that came to watch the show in the studio 'oafs'.

Speaking at the Edinburgh TV Festival he confessed what viewers had long suspected - that producers put attractive women at the front of the studio audience because they look better on screen.

The veteran presenter added he had complete contempt for BBC health and safety describing them as the 'programme prevention department'.

Talking about the time he crashed a lorry while filming for the show he said he ignored the advice from health and safety staff.

And insisted it was a fact of life that presenters could get hurt or killed on these types of shows.

He said: 'I was told the fastest I could go was 30mph. I started down the track and I thought this is gonna look pony. But only when I got up close to the wall did I think I was going too fast. And it did hurt.

'But doing a show like Top Gear, presenters are going to get hurt or killed. I am not going to sue the BBC, if I decide to drive the lorry into the wall at 50mph that is my look out.'

Clarkson added that he did not believe he had stepped beyond the mark despite recent controversies.

In the past two years he has come under fire for making gags insulting the Germans, lorry drivers and branding Prime Minister Gordon Brown a 'one-eyed Scottish idiot'.

Guest howyousawtheworld

That Stuart Lee's a right cunt. By no means am I Hammond's biggest fan but since when did he deserve that? Anyway I saw an episode of Stuart Lee's comedy programme on BBC 2 and it was a pile of unfunny stinking shit.