🌙 COLDPLAY ANNOUNCE MOON MUSIC OUT OCTOBER 4TH 🎵

Guillemots

Black Rose

I can't believe there isn't a thread on this pretty good band.

So what do people think about Guillemots, they have a new single out tomorrow (made up love song #43), and IMO there album is one of the best of the year for just sounding different to everything else, every track is different to the last one.

It's five o clock on a cold friday morning.

I might do a mega post tomorrow in mulitmedia with all the ep's and singles they have released to date

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Latest mailout from the site:

"So, in a rare moment 'off' in the offices of our Belgian record company, I write to you (that could be the start of a love letter, but it would be a pretty bad love letter) to say HALLO. I much prefer the spelling of that word with an 'A'. SO, it's been a while - things are busy and busier at the moment, but largely a great deal of fun. INNIT, DOCTOR.

I'm going to divide this into some helfpul paragaphs...I am a helpful man.

NEW TOUR

We've got a UK tour coming up in October - and here are the dates, the dates, the dates...

Tickets will be available exclusively through our website as of today, Thursday August 17th, before they go on sale Monday. Just click here to get your tickets now.

OCTOBER

16-BIRMINGHAM, ALEXANDER THEATRE

17-NOTTINGHAM, ROCK CITY

18-BRISTOL, ANSON ROOMS

20-LIVERPOOL, CARLING ACADEMY

21-NEWCASTLE, UNIVERSITY

22-MANCHESTER, ACADEMY 2

24-GLASGOW, ABC

25-LEEDS, METROPOLITAN UNIVERSITY

26-CARDIFF, UNIVERSITY

29-BRIGHTON, CORN EXCHANGE

NOVEMBER

2-LONDON, ASTORIA

4-OXFORD, BROOKES UNIVERSITY

Feel free to send us any requests for songs, set ideas etc...we will happily steal your best suggestions...

Support on most nights will be provided by the Last Town Chorus, a wonderful band from Brooklyn who make beautiful, dreamy, walking in the falling snow/lying under the stars on a summer night type music - the singer Megan has a gorgeous voice and also plays the lap steel, which is a favourite sound of ours... They, as well as many other people worth 'checking out', as the terminology goes, are in our Top Friends on Myspace. If you have any free moments, you should visit some of these Friends pages...there's some great music there...

ON-TOUR PROJECTIONS

We're also planning, for the first time ever, to use projections on this tour. We're starting to get our own ideas together but if any of you have any footage of your own - camcorder stuff, photo or picture stills, animations, anything you think could be suitable as a projection really -that you think would work in our gigs, especially for specific songs, then please send them on a DVD or CD rom and send it to:

THE GUILLEMOTS VISUAL DEPARTMENT

UNIT 3

44A SHACKLEWELL LANE

LONDON

E8 2EY

We unfortunately won't be able to offer payment for use of footage, so bear this in mind before you send us anything, but we'll definitely sort out some sort of creditation thing on the website, maybe with streams of some of the footage.

SINGLE RELEASE DATE

'Trains to Brazil' is coming out - sort of weirdly, as it was a co-incidence, but seemed vaguely appropriate - on September 11th, and we spent a few days recording a new bunch of B-sides for the single, which was really fun. It's a huge mix of styles:

on the 7 inch Picture Disc there's a track called 'Witch Doctor', which has a

very twisted drum loop, ridiculously loud and rough vocals and a trumpet player providing noise for Magrao to maniuplate with his increasing pedal collection...

on the regular 7 inch, there's a gentle song, just me and a celeste (aahh) called 'All the People Say' and the first ever Guillemots R'n'B song, 'You Can Look (But You Can't Touch)', which has been a joke idea for a while now but has now become a reality! It features a beat written on the bus on the way to the studio by Greig, Justin Timberlake-esque vocals from me, a lead vocal from Arista, some very demented gui tar noises from Magrao and a rap from Freakshow - aka Arista's boyfriend. It's quite unlike anything we've ever done...

and then on the cd, there's the demo version of 'White Rag' which was up on Myspace for a few weeks, and then a beautiful dreamy song of Magrao's called 'Blue Eyes', with trumpets, bass clarinet n'all...

We broke our record of lateness and finally got the last B-side finished at 6.45 AM the day before Mastering. Which was quite amusing - we sort of went past the tired stage and ended in a hyperactive stupor...tiring, but it was lovely to record some new stuff. So yes, hope people will enjoy those.

FESTIVALS

At the moment we're playing loads of festivals - which has been great as we've had a chance to watch loads of bands and laze around a bit. For me, most recently, at the Summer Sundae, this included the last song by Jamie T, playing solo with just a 4-string bass, and the first few songs by Larrikin Love, before I had to leap on our busmobile. Both were brilliant, I thought. We've also had some really great gigs ourselves at these - especially at T in the Park, Belladrum and the Sundae. This week we're abroad - today we play a festival called Pukkelpop in Belgium. We're offstage by 2.30pm and then have sets by Radiohead, Beck and many others to look foward to...so that's nice...

MERCURYS...

I'm getting quite good at these headlines. Very factual. So, we're going to be playing Trains at the Awards Ceremony, which should be live on some channel on TV, hopefully with a few additional brass players for the first time. It's going to be a really really exciting night for us...cannae wait...

FORMATS OF OUR ALBUM

There's still quite a few complications about people being able to locate the copy of our album that has lyrics in...but certainly whenever we've been in a Virgin Megastore we've seen them, and most independent stores seem to have them too. The catalogue number of the digipak version is 1701603...if one shop doesn't have it on their system, all we can suggest is try a different store/chain. There are copies around, honest...!

OF THE NIGHT EP / ELECTRIC PROMS

Aroundabout October, we're going to be releasing the 'Of the Night' EP 'physically' (this is the 4 songs that we made available for download for a few weeks around Valentine's Day this year). We're going to be comissioning some animations to go with these songs too, more details of which will follow soon. We're also planning to play these songs live with the BBC Concert Orchestra on October 28th at the re-opened Roundhouse in Camden, London, as part of the newly-launched Electric Proms festival. We're due to play a half-hour set in support of a mystery bigger act... I won't say too much now as plans are still in the GRASS ROOTS stage, as they say, but hopefully we'll pull this all off.. We're certainly going to be doing something that day at that venue anyhow! For more details of the festival go to bbc.co.uk/electricproms.

LATE COMPETITION ANNOUNCEMENT!

And finally, just to say - I won't make a promise in case we break it - but we're aware that it's starting to look like the last two competitions we've announced have been a complete scam, but we're deciding the lyric winners right now, and will HOPEFULLY be drawing the winner of the gig-in-house competition next week. So you should hear from us about this soon - i hope within the next couple of weeks. I've said this before, but have promised to flagellate myself violently this time if we fail to announce them soon.

So, this is all for now...and sorry as ever if our replies to e-mails are getting slower and slower - we're still trying to get back to you all, but your email might not get read for a few weeks! It will be read eventually though...tis true....

Right - thanks loads and see loads of you on the UK Tour hopefully...

Fyfe

http://www.guillemots.com

http://www.myspace.com/guillemots "

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
I've been listening to Virgin Radio from work on my PC-they play this all time! I love it!!!!

Annie Lets Not Wait is a great tune... great lyrics too. :nice:

It even gets aired on Castledown FM (very local radio station, I listen to at work, plays a good mix of music from today and from the older years, only problem is the local village news people sound stupid.

• 5 months later...

image_690_1.jpg

Big Chill/Big Blog - An Update From Fyfe

"Hello... A couple more festival dates to announce... We're playing the Big Chill, sadly not a festival inside a giant freezer - WHY AM I MAKING DAD JOKES? - at Eastnor Castle on Friday August 3rd 2007.

Big Chill Festival website

"It sounds like a pretty interesting festival, and Seasick Steve is playing. If you haven't heard of Seasick Steve yet, you should have. The man plays a guitar with 3 strings and puts most bands to shame.

"And we're also playing the Sudoeste festival in Portugal just after, on Sunday August 5th 2007. It's on a beach just south of Lisbon, and it's 70 Euros for 4 days. Which frankly beats a weekend in London spending that money on a 2 rounds of drinks in some dodgy Soho club. So... Have a holiday.

Sudoeste Festival website

"There may well be more festivals to be announced, but that's all for now. The other thing is just to say that we've started a band journal, or "blogspot" - I'll level with you, I hate that word, but I like what it represents - where we'll be posting whatever we feel like posting, whenever we feel like posting. It's to be found at:

Wrong Side Of Sound Blog

"... So go there when you feel like going there and we'll do our best to be pro-active with posts.

"In the meantime, enjoy / get a little concerned by the spontaneous hailstorms that are happening as we enter July. JULY."

Fyfe

guillemots.com