✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

What are they worth to you?

fudge

I was thinking the other day and Coldplay have been with me through many of the significant events in my life.

Parachutes was released when I was leaving school and starting university. Yellow provided the soundtrack for that time in my life! 'Look at the stars, look how they shine for you....'

AROBTTH helped me through when my Grandpa died. Particularly The Scientist. 'Nobody said it was easy...'

And my parents split up in 2005 so X&Y and Fix You has been the soundtrack to that (still) difficult time in my life! 'when you lose something you can't replace....'

Have a tear in my eye thinking about it actually....

Have a lot to thank them for I guess :)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They mean a lot to me. They are the only band that has been with me since I started getting interested in music. (Radiohead and Blur followed closely though, and actually there was Oasis before, but hey, who cares)

Obviously I've changed in those years. When I started liking them with 13 I was still such a child. I'm not saying I'm all grown up now, but I definitly found out what means something to me in life.

I've been through a lot and although my Coldplay love wasn't the same all the time but they still were there. Even if I ever will stop listening to them and likeing them, they still are one of my main influences in my youth.

Actually, it's also noteable that I've never been angrier with a band than with Coldplay. Normally I love a band and at some point lose interest but when X&Y came out I didn't lose interest. In my eyes they were still MY Coldplay and happened to release a shit album that suddenly made everyone around me love them. Awful times...

Bad times indeed. I hate they're so big now. Although, it's Chris really that has become so big. People judge Coldplay on their opinion of him. I wish they were back to the way they used to be.....

coldplay+%5Byellow%5D+2000+4-29+vault_tv+clear.jpg

:heart:

Im not going to lie, I was with the new wave of fans that were blown into shore with X&Y, But after knowledge on Coldplay, and learning more than what X Y had to offer, I realised how much more there was.

I always feel guilty when the older fans express their disgrunt towards new fans, but just because I have not been a hardcore fan since 03 or whatever, doesnt mean my love means anything less.

I love Coldplay more than anything, and I love all of their music, and I would choose a live Coldplay show over anything.

I think that alot of people that think Im, or anyother new fan is just a fan because its a trend is dead wrong. If it was a trend than I wouldnt take all the shit I do for loving them as much as I do.

Coldplay mean the world to me regaurdless of how long I have been a fan.

I've been a fan since 2000, and Coldplay's music has been with me through alot...deaths, break-ups, falling in love...even recording my album! I'm proud to say I was a fan almost from the very beginning.

On the other hand, alot of new ppl have come to love them with each new album, and I think it's wrong to discount them just because they're new fans. The fact it, Rock radio...at least around here...only played Yellow. As the band grew and released more, mainstream radio warmed to them and gave them more airplay. Naturally they would gain new fans.

Lastly, as a fan I understand wanting to keep a band all to yourself, but as a musician, I also understand that Coldplay are doing a JOB, one that earnes them a LIVING! It's not fair to expect or want them to remain a cult band. It's not fair to wish against anyone advancing in their feild.

Of course, there will always be the hangers-on who like the latest single, or call Chris 'Mr. Paltrow', or think Coldplay is just about one person...but they'll go away, and we'll still be here, the real fans, old and new!:D

coldplay are much more than a band to me.

i don't wanna sound stupid, but they've changed me and my moral aspects.

yeah, i like them. a lot.

they just express what i feel like when i'm in certain situations.

thank god, they exist...

It's just normal and saying it's not 'fair' doesn't really help' date=' does it? I don't blame for them for being so lucky and I don't blame new fans, that would be pointless.[/quote']

I'm not sure what you're saying, but it sounds like we basically agree.

We look at artists differently than we do other professionals, and the double-standard isn't fair...or logical. And maybe openning someone's mind to that fact does help.

ANd you're right: BLaming new fans is pointless. I love going to a CP concert ans seeing 12-year-olds and 40-year-olds enjouing the same music!:D

coldplay are much more than a band to me.

i don't wanna sound stupid, but they've changed me and my moral aspects.

yeah, i like them. a lot.

they just express what i feel like when i'm in certain situations.

thank god, they exist...

I know what you mean with the moral aspects.

Bad times indeed. I hate they're so big now. Although, it's Chris really that has become so big. People judge Coldplay on their opinion of him. I wish they were back to the way they used to be.....

coldplay+%5Byellow%5D+2000+4-29+vault_tv+clear.jpg

:heart:

Exactly. I know Ive talked to you about this before!

It sounds so cheesy but theyre the one band I can relate to some of the lyrics. and listening to Parachutes and AROBBTH just makes me kinda disappointed with X&Y.....they have too many corporate fans now.:cry:

Really? I used to think 'I hope they won't go all Bono on me now with stating the obvious all the time', but I guess it's just my backround that makes me think it's obvious.

If you meant the thing I thought you meant, anyway.

We look at artists differently than we do other professionals, and the double-standard isn't fair...or logical. And maybe openning someone's mind to that fact does help.

Oh, but artists DO something else. I'm sorry, I wont look at my favourite writer or painter the same way as I do look at my postman. Because the first ones I admire, they change something in me, they help me be who I am and the postman, well it's nice, he delivers my post, but he's easily replaced. Both just do their job but I think if you're an artist you are aware that you are making something that may be special for some people, because in the end that's your intention, isnt it? To great something beautiful, or interesting or at least special for someone to acknowledge and admire. If not there's no sense in being an artist. This is your profession and it's part of what comes with it. Jealousy is one of the strongest emotions we have and just saying it's no good is not making it go away.

Some people really act as if there was no more to Coldplay than Chris.

It's probably really not nice but sometimes I wish the press and public would lose interest in him and them....

i agree with you, not so much with the 'loose interest' part though. anyway

sometimes i stop and think about bands in general, the frontman always gets all the attention, which i know is normal & i have no problem with it, but sometimes it doesnt seem right because there are other members & they all play a big part in making the band succesfull, and it doesnt seem right because the press focuses so much on just the frontman.

anyways-

To me Coldplay means sooo much. they're not just a band for me. Their music has a lot of meaning to me. I've only been a fan since 2003, which is not too long , but in that short time they've made a change in my life. I've had some tough times & a lot of good ones & their song always make some connection to whatever is happening at the time. I would definetley choose them over anything that came across , & im proud to say that i'll always be a coldplay fan no matter what.

The meaning of coldplay to me is sometimes just undescribebable.

Really? I used to think 'I hope they won't go all Bono on me now with stating the obvious all the time', but I guess it's just my backround that makes me think it's obvious.

If you meant the thing I thought you meant, anyway.

Oh, but artists DO something else. I'm sorry, I wont look at my favourite writer or painter the same way as I do look at my postman. Because the first ones I admire, they change something in me, they help me be who I am and the postman, well it's nice, he delivers my post, but he's easily replaced. Both just do their job but I think if you're an artist you are aware that you are making something that may be special for some people, because in the end that's your intention, isnt it? To great something beautiful, or interesting or at least special for someone to acknowledge and admire. If not there's no sense in being an artist. This is your profession and it's part of what comes with it. Jealousy is one of the strongest emotions we have and just saying it's no good is not making it go away.

Saying someting isn't fair doesn't make it go away, you're right. But I'm just expressing an opinion...anyway, You're so right that artists do what they do to create something special and lasting, something that will change people from the inside out. If not, there'd be no point making art. There's only be comercial crap out there, nothing real. And for that, they should be set apart.

All I'm saying is that some people resent it when those artists become successful/famous doing that, whereas they don't resent it if their postie gets promoted.:lol: Artists deserve the fame and money that cmes with that success. It's not right to assume they've sold out just because they're not a small band anymore. I think we should be happy that a band we love so much has attained so much success. If that sounded like an arguement, it wasn't meant that way...just my opinion.:D I'm proud of them...they used to seem like 'the little band that could',lol...I'm glad they did!:D

Aw thanks mandy. Has been something I've been talking to a few people about. Just kinda wanted to see how others felt! And I love your Matt Av btw :D

I don't think I explained myself very well when I said I hated how big they had become. Of course I don't hate that they have become popular. I think it's great that more people love them. The thing I hate is that they have become so inaccessible to the fans. Particularly Chris. That's why I joined here to be honest. I felt like I'd lost that link. I became confused about what kind of band they are. Or the kind of band I thought they were. I'm not saying that I totally dislike the direction they have gone in musically. There are some great songs on X&Y. When I saw the Speed of Sound video for the first time I thought, "wow...they're back!" It just doesn't seem to have the same heart and soul that Parachutes and AROBTTH had. They're specifically making music that will work well in bigger venues. Starting with some heart....and EDITING THE FUCK OUT OF IT! :laugh3: That's where I don't like how big they've become.

Im not going to lie, I was with the new wave of fans that were blown into shore with X&Y, But after knowledge on Coldplay, and learning more than what X Y had to offer, I realised how much more there was.

I always feel guilty when the older fans express their disgrunt towards new fans, but just because I have not been a hardcore fan since 03 or whatever, doesnt mean my love means anything less.

I love Coldplay more than anything, and I love all of their music, and I would choose a live Coldplay show over anything.

I think that alot of people that think Im, or anyother new fan is just a fan because its a trend is dead wrong. If it was a trend than I wouldnt take all the shit I do for loving them as much as I do.

Coldplay mean the world to me regaurdless of how long I have been a fan.

Amen! But you can't judge some of the new fans who aren't following a trend. Like us, they just realised how great Coldplay are a little later than the rest. :smug:

^i think that applies to a lot of people in the US.

it's just that they've had a huge breakthrough with "X&Y" over there.

so... it's no big deal to like them from then on.

but who the fuck cares who became a fan when and where?

^ i know. it doesn't matter WHEN you became a fan, it matters WHY you are a fan. e.g. are you into them because you are a teenybopper who swallows everything the Top 40 Countdown feeds you, and Coldplay just happened to be on said countdown more recently; or are you into them because you love Coldplay with all your heart and soul.

the first album I bought was AROBTTH. i was 9 when Parachutes came out, and so was into Aqua, the Vengaboys and other equally shithouse "music"; i bought Rush of Blood in either 2003 or 2004 i think (can't really remember) and fell in love with it. so sure, i haven't been a Coldplay fan for the longest time, or since the very minute they started releasing stuff. but i love Coldplay more than any other band, they save me and mean the absolute world to me.

Been listening to them since 2000, not sure of who they were at that time, but knew there was definitely something different about them. Music is the universal language ... and I thank them for bringing so many people together... all ages and countries together... making us aware of our basic feelings and well, acknowledging all aspects of human life. This is why I respect this band, because they have that ability reach everyone with their music. Unfortunately, the business end of it took over... I hope that they are strong enough to get back on track and keep to their true selves in production and performance.

I don't this to sound sappy...

But Coldplay mean the world to me. They really do. They changed my life completely. I saw things differently. Sometimes I don't feel angry at things in my life anymore. I don't know. They kinda make me who I am with their music.

There are some great songs on X&Y. It just doesn't seem to have the same heart and soul that Parachutes and AROBTTH had. They're specifically making music that will work well in bigger venues. Starting with some heart....and EDITING THE FUCK OUT OF IT! :laugh3: That's where I don't like how big they've become.

I totally agree. I'm aware that they can't go and make Parachutes II and AROBTTH II but X&Y was so... Stadium Rock.

To be honest, when I first heard Coldplay, I denied that I liked them because I was in early high school and everyone was into all R'n'B stuff and even though when I heard Yellow and Don't Panic and stuff I knew deep inside that I kinda liked them, I didn't admit it to myself. I completely regret that now because I missed out big time.

I wish I had been a fan since the beginning instead of only coming in during X&Y but I guess things happen for a reason. But even though I've only been a fan for about 18 months or so, I love Coldplay completely. They're my first and only favourite band ever.

Admittedly, I haven't been through much heartache or anything in my life, so I can't say that they have a song that speaks to me or anything... but at the same time, I can be so angry and upset and I can be crying my heart out and if I just think about Coldplay or listen to their music, I calm down almost instantly. I don't know where I'd be in life without them because they've seriously helped me discover who I am. As silly as that sounds.

Aw thanks mandy. Has been something I've been talking to a few people about. Just kinda wanted to see how others felt! And I love your Matt Av btw :D

I don't think I explained myself very well when I said I hated how big they had become. Of course I don't hate that they have become popular. I think it's great that more people love them. The thing I hate is that they have become so inaccessible to the fans. Particularly Chris. That's why I joined here to be honest. I felt like I'd lost that link. I became confused about what kind of band they are. Or the kind of band I thought they were. I'm not saying that I totally dislike the direction they have gone in musically. There are some great songs on X&Y. When I saw the Speed of Sound video for the first time I thought, "wow...they're back!" It just doesn't seem to have the same heart and soul that Parachutes and AROBTTH had. They're specifically making music that will work well in bigger venues. Starting with some heart....and EDITING THE FUCK OUT OF IT! :laugh3: That's where I don't like how big they've become.

Thanks, I know what you mean by the EDITING THE FUCK OUT OF IT!

Its kinda like.. real people dont like the metrosexual men, stubbless, made up men that you can tell took alot longer to get ready than you did...

and thats kinda how X&Y was.

Parachutes had a little stubble, and that natrual airyness about it.

But you were attracted to the natrualness.

Bad analogy, I know.. but you know what I mean..:laugh4: